PDA

View Full Version : Samar Island, do they speak Spanish there?

johncar54
10th August 2009, 15:15
We have a friend from Samar Island who is quite good n Spanish. My wife thinks they speak Spanish there. Can anyone tell us if they do, or if not, why a person from there might be able to speak Spanish well ?

Thanks, John

miss.piggy
10th August 2009, 15:16
We have a friend from Samar Island who is quite good n Spanish. My wife thinks they speak Spanish there. Can anyone tell us if they do, or if not, why a person from there might be able to speak Spanish well ?

Thanks, John
Samar? As far as I know, they speak Waray or Bisaya in Samar.

miss.piggy
10th August 2009, 15:21
It may be Samal Island -- where your friend is speaking in chavakano... :)

britishdetained
10th August 2009, 15:22
old Filipinos are good in spanish as 10 years ago it as still a part of the curriculum. But most who knew how to speak spanish are from Mindanao and southern visayas

trader dave
10th August 2009, 16:03
mrs T is pilipino spanish heinz 59:icon_lol::icon_lol: she might be able to tell you i think her ancestors came from the zambawonga area:Erm:

britishdetained
10th August 2009, 16:16
:)
mrs T is pilipino spanish heinz 59:icon_lol::icon_lol: she might be able to tell you i think her ancestors came from the zambawonga area:Erm:

yup...one of those is my great great grandma taken 1915:)

trader dave
10th August 2009, 16:24
:)

yup...one of those is my great great grandma taken 1915:)

i wished it was because i am trying to trace her relations as she was left without any parents from 2 months old all we know is her mothers name and an area where they came from :doh

its a long story:doh:doh

miss.piggy
10th August 2009, 16:30
i wished it was because i am trying to trace her relations as she was left without any parents from 2 months old all we know is her mothers name and an area where they came from :doh

its a long story:doh:doh
sorry to hear that Dave. you may check the national statistics office and surely they can track it down if you have her mother's full name. the search will only get complicated if there will be a few others with the same name and having been a local of the same place. otherwise, they can give you further details and perhaps even whereabouts of the person.

pennybarry
10th August 2009, 17:59
Spaniards colonized our country for hundreds of years and we have adapted their language. Our ancestors, grandparents learned how to speak a little. Some parts of Philippines speaks some spanish like the chavakanos.

It was part of our curriculum in 1980 backward. It was just abolished before 1990.

Spanish is one of my favourite subject in high school and college.:xxgrinning--00xx3::BouncyHappy::Hellooo:

I can speak good spanish way back 1980's and wishing to refesh here but no college here offering that language.:cwm24:

Tawi2
10th August 2009, 18:00
No spanish in Samar,but down in Zambo they speak Chavacano which they describe as low-quality spanish,I got a friend who teaches at Ataneo De Zamboanga and her spanish is perfect.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

mrs traderdave
10th August 2009, 18:54

Thanks, John
As i know samar is waray not spanish:doh but my mum is a mixed spanish she is from zambuanga but i can understand some but not all:NoNo::NoNo:like buenos dias,gracias,kutsa,tinidor,una dos tres:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:kalinikta:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Tiggers0608
10th August 2009, 19:56
:Erm:

Some old people in samar speak ...

waray, english and spanish as thats what they have learn at school when their we're young, but maybe in a certain part of samar :doh:Erm: i know coz my grandparents are from there both side :rolleyes: and they dont talk much tagalog but they do understand it but still they will answer you in english or waray or spanish.

:cwm34: hope that helps .... but don't worry they speak in english than in tagalog lol, we went there last may and my husband like it but :rolleyes: he said its far from malls and jollibee :icon_lol::D

johncar54
11th August 2009, 12:49
Thanks to everyone who replied.

I am still at a loss to know why my wife's friend speaks good Spanish, although maybe the answer lies somewhere in the fact my wife's Spanish is not very good so to her, her friend's Spanish may sound better than it really is!!

jencha8569
11th August 2009, 13:28
No. the dialect in Samar is waray-waray or bisaya, can understand tagalog but hardly spoken but some words are spanish.
Im waray-waray by the way and we do have lots of spanish words.

Ann07
11th August 2009, 13:52
They use waray or bisaya in Samar:D My mamang ang papang are so fluent with chavakano:xxgrinning--00xx3: but not me i can understand though a little bit like kome hehehehe coz its food time:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: and agua if im choking ha ha ha. I was born in Zamboanga but grow up in Cebu:) so im bisdak:doh:Rasp::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Everytime we visit my relatives in Zamboanga or they visit us in Cebu my nose is bleeding:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

jencha8569
11th August 2009, 14:21
They use waray or bisaya in Samar:D My mamang ang papang are so fluent with chavakano:xxgrinning--00xx3: but not me i can understand though a little bit like kome hehehehe coz its food time:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: and agua if im choking ha ha ha. I was born in Zamboanga but grow up in Cebu:) so im bisdak:doh:Rasp::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Everytime we visit my relatives in Zamboanga or they visit us in Cebu my nose is bleeding:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Its hard having loads of relatives with diffrent dialects, i myself suffered nose bleeds everytime i meet relatives who speaks other dialect. I can understand bisaya but hardly speak it good thing tag is taught in school and my dad is tag helps alot:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ladybug_sim
11th August 2009, 16:17

Thanks, John

Hi! I think they have learned it from there family or school as some part here in Philippines still continuing to learn on it... I know few words too :) I use some words to talk to my bug and he keep laughing sometime on it ... just learning .. as we dont used on it all in home even my ancestry are spanish and poor me coz only my two sisters reach that time when we have spanish subject in school :doh... anyway we have lots of dialect when you step here in Philippines :Hellooo:

johncar54
11th August 2009, 16:30
Filipinos learning Spanish have a tremendous head start. There are hundreds of nouns in Tagalog which are Spanish words. I am sure that is because when the Spanish colonised the Philippines, everything then introduced, which was not there before, became known by it's Spanish name.

The same thing happened with the various invasions and colonisations of UK, thus in English there are words from Latin (from the Romans) German, French and Norse, although many of those words were originally Germanic too.

pennybarry
11th August 2009, 16:43
Filipinos learning Spanish have a tremendous head start. There are hundreds of nouns in Tagalog which are Spanish words. I am sure that is because when the Spanish colonised the Philippines, everything then introduced, which was not there before, became known by it's Spanish name.

The same thing happened with the various invasions and colonisations of UK, thus in English there are words from Latin (from the Romans) German, French and Norse, although many of those words were originally Germanic too.

You're right!
Like the word Kumusta (tagalog for how are you?) It was derived from spanish term como esta? como esta usted? sounds similar.:D

Como esta usted? Muy bien gracias y usted?
Donde vive es tu? Yo vivo en la Sta Rosa.:icon_lol:
Como se llama tu? Yo llama es penny
Yo soy muy guapa !!! eheheheh

I still remember how to cojugate vebs:omg::Rasp::Rasp:

Thats why we can easily learn spanish. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Chinese mandarin is quite harder than spanish:doh

Tawi2
11th August 2009, 16:46
Mandarin is incredibly hard,it took me four and a half years to learn to swear fluently in cantonese but Mandarin was beyond me,your a linguist Pen,a female Rizal :cwm24: Conjugate verbs sounds rather indecent :Erm:

pennybarry
11th August 2009, 17:00
Mandarin is incredibly hard,it took me four and a half years to learn to swear fluently in cantonese but Mandarin was beyond me,your a linguist Pen,a female Rizal :cwm24: Conjugate verbs sounds rather indecent :Erm:

Thanks Tawi! you must exercise your tongue to learn mandarin by pronouncing ching chong chang cheche, chuchang, full of chhhhh.
But my nose was bled when I visited Holland:bigcry:
Their language is full of krrrrrrrr
As well as Deutse/german language. It made my nose bled:icon_lol:
I learned some japanese too:Rasp::Rasp::Rasp: I feel it is the most easiest:D

Tawi2
11th August 2009, 17:07
Japanese probably is easy to learn in comparrison to somewhere like North Shields dialect :Erm: Just off to practice my ching,chong,chang's :icon_lol: