PDA

View Full Version : T9

fred
6th August 2009, 04:08
Never really used cell phones till I come here and usually hate texting anyone as it always takes so long and is such a hassle..
Talking to an Aussie mate here that persuaded me to try the T9 setting..He showed me how and now I can text a message much faster...Im sure there are more features to T9 that can make it even easier and so any tips would be welcome..

Alan
6th August 2009, 04:50
Never really used cell phones till I come here and usually hate texting anyone as it always takes so long and is such a hassle..
Talking to an Aussie mate here that persuaded me to try the T9 setting..He showed me how and now I can text a message much faster...Im sure there are more features to T9 that can make it even easier and so any tips would be welcome..

I wd b gld 2 gv u sm tps on txtng mte! U jst hv 2 mk a nw lngage.

Al.:)

PS - What make is your new phone? I've just got a new LG TK500 Cookie.

fred
6th August 2009, 09:33
Thing I like about this T9 thing Al is that its just as quick to type out real Engrish..
Must learn how to use the dicsionary feeture a bit better than I am now though..

Not sure of the model as I left it at home..(typical me)
Its a Nokia something or other?? She paid 1400PHP for it..(bloody cheap skate)

MarBell379
6th August 2009, 09:58
I'm guessing T9 is what I call predictive texting. It is generally pretty good, with a few words being chosen badly. (Why does it always choose NUN instead of MUM - Do people really text to or about Nuns often enough to make that a sensible choice :errm:)

I use Chikka to text Philippines tho, and that charges per text received as far as I can tell (its a bit obscure, but definitely cheaper than sending 'native' texts). I try and keep the number of characters down to avoid multiple texts - meaning I'm back to txt spk agin :(

BTW - Predictive txt doenst have a HOPE with tagalog:icon_lol:

fred
6th August 2009, 10:11

Actually it does work well with Tagalog...
Ive got the locals doing the T9 thing now!!

vbkelly
6th August 2009, 11:06

my hubby use T9 but its to hard for me

somebody
6th August 2009, 17:11
I found it strange hardly any of my wifes mates in phill or her used T9 when i went out there but they were still quicker at typing a text at me.
I prefer a phone with a qwerty keyboard once your two thumbs get used to it and many of these have a predictive text as well if you so choose your find it even easier.

From what i remember of t9 when using a lot it was important to add the words you use to the dictionary. Plus with phills many shorten words anyway so it will take you sometime to set up the Dictonary but a few days of pain makes simple questions very quick.

Dont forget "im down the bar" "im down the bar can you pick me up" or "can you give me a lift to the bar" "while at the shops can you pick up some more beers" very useful phrases im sure can of course be saved as templates which saves even more valuable time:xxgrinning--00xx3::D

trader dave
6th August 2009, 17:15
Actually it does work well with Tagalog...
Ive got the locals doing the T9 thing now!!

maybe fred if it was a K9 it might bark instructions at you :icon_lol::icon_lol::doh:rolleyes: i must get a life :cwm24:or was it a wife i wanted?:Cuckoo:

darren-b
6th August 2009, 18:06
I'm guessing T9 is what I call predictive texting. It is generally pretty good, with a few words being chosen badly. (Why does it always choose NUN instead of MUM - Do people really text to or about Nuns often enough to make that a sensible choice :errm:)

I use Chikka to text Philippines tho, and that charges per text received as far as I can tell (its a bit obscure, but definitely cheaper than sending 'native' texts). I try and keep the number of characters down to avoid multiple texts - meaning I'm back to txt spk agin :(

My Nokia (N95 8GB - guess it will work with some other models) can be taught which word to suggest first. All I do is just keeping typing the word I want to fix in a message (using # to select the word I want). And after I've typed the word maybe 3 or 4 times in a row it remembers the word I want it to suggest first.

somebody
6th August 2009, 18:12
My Nokia (N95 8GB - guess it will work with some other models) can be taught which word to suggest first. All I do is just keeping typing the word I want to fix in a message (using # to select the word I want). And after I've typed the word maybe 3 or 4 times in a row it remembers the word I want it to suggest first.
yep they all let you teach the dictonary new words and often knock out the old words on some models i used to noticed.

But if you do a hard reset or update the firmware the dictionary will most likely be reset:Brick:

darren-b
6th August 2009, 18:28
yep they all let you teach the dictonary new words and often knock out the old words on some models i used to noticed.

But if you do a hard reset or update the firmware the dictionary will most likely be reset:Brick:

I'm talking about selecting what word the predictive text picks first rather than adding new words (ie teaching it to select mum first rather than nun).

And no not all Nokias do it - my N80 does this as well, but my 6021 doesn't.

Not sure if you back-up the phone first whether this will save the updates to the dictionary or not.

fred
7th August 2009, 00:25
I'm talking about selecting what word the predictive text picks first rather than adding new words (ie teaching it to select mum first rather than nun).

And no not all Nokias do it - my N80 does this as well, but my 6021 doesn't.

Not sure if you back-up the phone first whether this will save the updates to the dictionary or not.

Yeah..My cheap little Nokia does this and without it I would be stuffed..
Just found out how to type numbers..Just keep the number pressed down for about 3 seconds..
Down side is Dictionary has no settings or ways to save new words to it..Its supposed to be Automatic..:furious3:

fred
7th August 2009, 00:26
i must get a life :cwm24:or was it a wife i wanted?:Cuckoo:

As long as its not a dog,you should be good to go Dave.

trader dave
7th August 2009, 06:29
:
As long as its not a dog,you should be good to go Dave.

:icon_lol::icon_lol:no dogs allowed or pigs come to that i dont want swine flu:icon_lol::icon_lol: