PDA

View Full Version : Abu Dhabi & Dubai Life?

miss.piggy
28th July 2009, 13:40
I am recently checking websites giving information about life in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. I thought it would be best to get info from current or previous expats and see how expat life is/were - socially, school (for kids), etc.

Many thanks in advance!! :)

aposhark
28th July 2009, 13:52
I am recently checking websites giving information about life in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. I thought it would be best to get info from current or previous expats and see how expat life is/were - socially, school (for kids), etc.

Many thanks in advance!! :)

I have been to Abu Dhabi and Dubai many times since the early 80's and they have both changed a lot.
Tourism has really taken off in the last 20 years.
They have always been quite relaxed in lifestyle and not too strict, but I was always there as a single man, so I can't comment on schools etc..
They were great cities to be in compared to Saudi Arabia.

There are many Filipinos so you will not be short of friends.

miss.piggy
28th July 2009, 13:57
I have been to Abu Dhabi and Dubai many times since the early 80's and they have both changed a lot.
Tourism has really taken off in the last 20 years.
They have always been quite relaxed in lifestyle and not too strict, but I was always there as a single man, so I can't comment on schools etc..
They were great cities to be in compared to Saudi Arabia.

There are many Filipinos so you will not be short of friends.
Any ideas on cost of living compared to the UK?

Florge
28th July 2009, 14:00
my friend who works in Dubai told me that cost of living is high...

miss.piggy
28th July 2009, 14:02
my friend who works in Dubai told me that cost of living is high...

I checked on a few houses on line and I must say I am passing out with the cost of villas for rental! :yikes:

classygirl
28th July 2009, 18:21
Any ideas on cost of living compared to the UK?

I used to work in Dubai for more than 10 years and 3 years ago I left for good.Last Nov.went there for 2 weeks holiday and cant believe how it changed.Everything is expensive especially the accomodation,standard of living is high and schooling is quite expensive too.Flats are very much cheaper compare to villas but of course it depends on the location.The costs of living is almost the same as here though the good thing there it is tax free. It is nice to live in Dubai it is very cosmopolitan (Abu Dhabi is more traditional) as long as you will abide by their law,safe.I also find the locals very friendly and they always treat women(regardless of their nationality) with respect.If you will be offered a good employment package,give it a try.........

GaryFifer
28th July 2009, 18:32
I used to work in Dubai for more than 10 years and 3 years ago I left for good.Last Nov.went there for 2 weeks holiday and cant believe how it changed.Everything is expensive especially the accomodation,standard of living is high and schooling is quite expensive too.Flats are very much cheaper compare to villas but of course it depends on the location.The costs of living is almost the same as here though the good thing there it is tax free. It is nice to live in Dubai it is very cosmopolitan (Abu Dhabi is more traditional) as long as you will abide by their law,safe.I also find the locals very friendly and they always treat women(regardless of their nationality) with respect.If you will be offered a good employment package,give it a try.........

It is the only place you will see a woman in the swimming pool from head to toe in a gurkha. From what I have read it is the fastest growing economy on earth and the majority of people there are under 40 and affluent workers in the leisure industry. Many malls and flash supercars.I mean look how extravagant they are! They live in a desert and they waste water with water parks! We are so rich, we can afford that! And one of the hotels has a beach when there is sand outside?

how about this:

Dubai Forum! (http://www.dubaiforums.com/index.php)

Ji&Ma
28th July 2009, 18:50
It is the only place you will see a woman in the swimming pool from head to toe in a gurkha.[/URL]

:omg: :yikes: I'd rather avoid seeing woman head to toe IN GURKHA, weaker people might faint just on thought of that:omg::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Sure you meant BURKA:Erm:

GaryFifer
28th July 2009, 18:58
Okay I mean a Abaya :)
http://www.islamicboutique.com/prodimages/kh02001.jpg

Seeing a gurkha in the pool though would be a laugh

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/04_03/41gurkhaDM1704_468x456.jpg

miss.piggy
28th July 2009, 19:36
It is the only place you will see a woman in the swimming pool from head to toe in a gurkha. From what I have read it is the fastest growing economy on earth and the majority of people there are under 40 and affluent workers in the leisure industry. Many malls and flash supercars.I mean look how extravagant they are! They live in a desert and they waste water with water parks! We are so rich, we can afford that! And one of the hotels has a beach when there is sand outside?

how about this:

Dubai Forum! (http://www.dubaiforums.com/index.php)
thanks for the link!!! :) Will go through it tonight. Thank u!!!!

GaryFifer
28th July 2009, 20:03
Are you gonna dress like a pint of guiness? with just the eye-slots at the top?

miss.piggy
28th July 2009, 20:41
Are you gonna dress like a pint of guiness? with just the eye-slots at the top?
uhmmm... at 40 deg C, I think I would have to really think about this.

pennybarry
29th July 2009, 06:25
It's not strict than Saudi and you can wear your casual clothes not Abaya.
Been there for a stop-over when I flew thru Emirates and wow! There are loads of filipinos everywhere.

My brother is working in Jumeirah Golf Course and it is one of the most expensive place in Dubai. He said accommodation/houses inside Jumeirah cost £££££££:omg::omg: http://www.jumeirahgolfestates.com/

Most of his bosses are British:D