PDA

View Full Version : curious lang

Tonet
30th October 2006, 03:55
Hello,,,
kamusta?!? hehe i've been visiting this forum during class break time, but its the first time i'll post aside from the introducing my self,, coz i enjoy reading eh,, it's actually philip who asked me to post coz he said he wants to read my post's hehehe:D ..but i really wanna learn something more specially about this....

... my fiance and i are planning to apply for a visa this comming feb,, and if we're lucky to get one soon maybe i'll be there this june..Thinking about it makes me feel excited but i also cant help to be scared,, everytime i think of my my possible days there,,, i cant imagine how will i survive hehehe,,, i dunno if its natural but gosh,, imagine, suddenly, i'll be in a place thousands miles away from my home, family,,, all my life i stayed with my nanay.
A new place, diff. weather,, diff. foods ( everytime i ask philip what he has for lunch and he answered,, soup & crisp!!! i told my self oh my gosh,, now i wonder how will i survive there,,, i even take rice for breakfast,,,) diff. people with diff. culture.. ahhhhh,,:omg: but though i have these lil fears,, i would still go :xxcheeky-smiley-013

For now i just wanna ask those filipina who are there already there,,, can you share something to me? like what are the things you like and hate about uk,,,? is it possible for me to give up? how long does it takes for a filipino to be well adjusted there?

i'll wait for response,,,
Many many many thanks...
TONET

:Hellooo: Hello philip,, hope you like it hehe..beee but i hope it wont add to your worries more.:NoNo: beeeeeeeee

Chrisirene
30th October 2006, 07:04
For now i just wanna ask those filipina who are there already there,,, can you share something to me? like what are the things you like and hate about uk,,,? is it possible for me to give up? how long does it takes for a filipino to be well adjusted there?

Hi TOnet,
IM still here in PI,well u will learn and know about the UK culture of what they dont like through communication with ur fiance and to read some site about uk....if u love a person u must know everything of his living...
Y u think about giving up? u mean u will damp ur relation of that case?well lots of possible things that u will be together...like inviting him to stay with u in PI.CHEERS :D

Doc898
30th October 2006, 09:54

Don't worry so much about living here in england. Of course it's really difficult to leave my family and my free-and-easy lifestyle back home, but i realized that there's more to it when i got here. I used to live in california few years ago before i went back to the phils and to be honest with you, i feel more 'homely' in uk. I want a private life which i found here and a loving hubby to go places with. In terms of adjustment,It took me about 2 days before i can sleep properly at night.Im not really a rice lover, so i just eat anything my hubby serves me! People here are very polite as well. You won't feel discriminated. Maybe the things im not really happy about here are the high taxes we're paying, the unpredictable weather, and household chores!! :D

Philip
30th October 2006, 13:06
What a cutey! :Hellooo: :cwm38:

gingxrick
30th October 2006, 19:34
im happy to tell u that im now living with my hubby in scotland and wat u scared abt is just the same as i had before i came here. Well, i think the best thing for you to do is be willing and open to the huge changes like the weather, the environments and mostly the foods. You have to be ready to face the new ways of living ahead of you coz i would say its hugely diffirent here...so, good luck :D :) :Hellooo:

Hello,,,
kamusta?!? hehe i've been visiting this forum during class break time, but its the first time i'll post aside from the introducing my self,, coz i enjoy reading eh,, it's actually philip who asked me to post coz he said he wants to read my post's hehehe:D ..but i really wanna learn something more specially about this....

... my fiance and i are planning to apply for a visa this comming feb,, and if we're lucky to get one soon maybe i'll be there this june..Thinking about it makes me feel excited but i also cant help to be scared,, everytime i think of my my possible days there,,, i cant imagine how will i survive hehehe,,, i dunno if its natural but gosh,, imagine, suddenly, i'll be in a place thousands miles away from my home, family,,, all my life i stayed with my nanay.
A new place, diff. weather,, diff. foods ( everytime i ask philip what he has for lunch and he answered,, soup & crisp!!! i told my self oh my gosh,, now i wonder how will i survive there,,, i even take rice for breakfast,,,) diff. people with diff. culture.. ahhhhh,,:omg: but though i have these lil fears,, i would still go :xxcheeky-smiley-013

Many many many thanks...
TONET

:Hellooo: Hello philip,, hope you like it hehe..beee but i hope it wont add to your worries more.:NoNo: beeeeeeeee

Philip
3rd November 2006, 17:25
but though i have these lil fears,, i would still go :xxcheeky-smiley-013

I hope so! :bigcry::xxgrinning--00xx3:

jbt
3rd November 2006, 20:09
hi tonet...

make sure you'll bring your own manicure set...if you knew how to do it...:D
a nice comfortable rubber shoes....and sets of pajamas...

It's hard to adjust with the weather here, esp. now that it's winter already....just bring lots of meds for colds....

All the best to you and your loved one...

jonah :Hellooo: :cwm38: :icon_lol:

scotsfiancee
3rd November 2006, 20:33

Hello Tonet we are just actually in the same place to lived. Its kinda hard for the meantime as its getting colder and i hate it! but its fun to wear winter clothes dba? Keep on shopping while your still in Pi as its real expensive here. Don't you worry bout the foods as you still can eat the filipino foods lots of asian shops here, your fiance know's it for sure! George St, indian pakistan shop lol. And hey you can go to TESCO as they have everything you wanted to eat, get pork liver and squid but our house smells stinks everytime i cooked :D because of garlic and onions! :icon_lol:

People are great, their friendly and polite. Such a nice place Scotland is! If your a nature lover :Erm:

If your fun of shopping you can go any shops you like, such as BOn accord center, St nicholas, Trinity etc. You can have a walk in Duthie Park, Union Terrace garden and Hazlehead Park.

So to make you feel better talk your family online everyday :xxgrinning--00xx3:

You will be fine when you arrive here next year... Goodluck!!!

hi tonet...

make sure you'll bring your own manicure set...if you knew how to do it...
a nice comfortable rubber shoes....and sets of pajamas...

Your right, just got manicure set here but its not actually complete coz no nipper on, and its real expensive £37 its in 1pck like 2 wipes,1colorless,hand lotion and 1stick (don't know how to do this stick). Acetone cost £4
:omg:
Better get in PI then :)

Philip
3rd November 2006, 20:40
Yeah there are a few asian food shops, theres also one in Charlotte Street(I think), just off George Street, I go past them both most days after work.

Posting in this weather is eeek talaga!!!

scotsfiancee
3rd November 2006, 20:44
Yep your right,i've been there, and also in Fracer Place. That's not too far from me. You can go to Chinese store where you can get your toyo and rice sticks in Causewayend.

Tonet
4th November 2006, 13:25
a nice comfortable rubber shoes....and sets of pajamas

Hehehe no need to tell me about bringing my manicure set,,,, it is one of those thigs i cant live without.....but of course i thank you TALAGA for all that things you shared to me Maraming Salamat

Philip
4th November 2006, 13:30
a nice comfortable rubber shoes....and sets of pajamas

Hehehe no need to tell me about bringing my manicure set,,,, it is one of those thigs i cant live without.....but of course i thank you TALAGA for all that things you shared to me Maraming Salamat

Women and their nails! :NoNo:

Tonet
4th November 2006, 13:40
Hello Tonet we are just actually in the same place to lived. Its kinda hard for the meantime as its getting colder and i hate it! but its fun to wear winter clothes dba? Keep on shopping while your still in Pi as its real expensive here. Don't you worry bout the foods as you still can eat the filipino foods lots of asian shops here, your fiance know's it for sure! George St, indian pakistan shop lol. And hey you can go to TESCO as they have everything you wanted to eat, get pork liver and squid but our house smells stinks everytime i cooked :D because of garlic and onions! :icon_lol:

People are great, their friendly and polite. Such a nice place Scotland is! If your a nature lover :Erm:

If your fun of shopping you can go any shops you like, such as BOn accord center, St nicholas, Trinity etc. You can have a walk in Duthie Park, Union Terrace garden and Hazlehead Park.

So to make you feel better talk your family online everyday :xxgrinning--00xx3:

You will be fine when you arrive here next year... Goodluck!!!

Hello thanks for the reply it really helps,, ah btw you mentioned about
shopping here in phil, can you tell me where can i buy winter clothes here?

Philip HATES onions and garlic,, he already asked me about it when he sees your reply hahaha,,, thanks a lot again,,

Philip
4th November 2006, 14:03
Philip HATES onions and garlic,, he already asked me about it when he sees your reply hahaha,,, thanks a lot again,,

I just hate the smell. :D

:xxparty-smiley-004:

britoy
4th November 2006, 18:36

Hi tonet,

I dont think that you should worry abt stuff like that but I must admit that i had the same dilema. Specially as the days comes closer to leaving the country. The thought of leaving all the stuff that u are used to and leaving ur loved ones behind is sad.

Ofcourse there are some adjustments when it comes to the culture,weather, and people..and trust me, also by the way u cross the street (Remember always left...hehehe). But at the end of the day, everything will be very easy the fact that you went here to be with the guy that u love. Which im sure is already enough reason for u to leave the philippines and embrace what him and his country can offer. Im sure he will help u in adjusting.

Heck we filipinas are known to be flexible anyways (NO PUN :cheeky-smiley-024: )

eljean
4th November 2006, 18:45
is it ok to bring a manicure set when its not allowed to bring sharp edges thing.....like nipper....hmmmmm.......or have anyone bring a manicure set in travelling?

britoy
4th November 2006, 18:47

You can buy some cool thick jackets on SURPLUS SHOPS in SM. I was able to buy a fluffy white coat there (with fur on hood..very J.LO. hehehe). The only problem is... EXCESS BAGGAGE. :p

britoy
4th November 2006, 18:49
is it ok to bring a manicure set when its not allowed to bring sharp edges thing.....like nipper....hmmmmm.......or have anyone bring a manicure set in travelling?

hahahaha..as long as your not gonna be putting in on your hand luggage. I strongly suggest for you to bring your own manicure set coz nail care is expensive here..

eljean
4th November 2006, 18:54
really its ok.....i should have really bring one :xxgrinning--00xx3:

scotsfiancee
5th November 2006, 01:47
hahahaha..as long as your not gonna be putting in on your hand luggage. I strongly suggest for you to bring your own manicure set coz nail care is expensive here..

Your right...... bring me one set jean :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Well go to Malls im sure you can find it in there stores since its winter sales there....:Erm:

Philip HATES onions and garlic,, he already asked me about it when he sees your reply hahaha,,, thanks a lot again

Its true!!!! Keep spraying oust :icon_lol:

Tish
7th November 2006, 01:44
Just have an open mind and realistic expectations, and you'll be fine.

Tish

ginapeterb
7th November 2006, 09:01
Hello Tonet,

Well you are asking all the right questions !, what youre life will be like in UK, is a very good start, this is good, as you are realizing now that it wont be long before you come, so its good to get opinions about food, clothes, culture and differences, the last time I wrote about my beloved UK, I got ticked off for telling how it is, but this morning I feel in a different mood, so I will mention some things whilst having a laugh about them.

Firstly, lets talk about food !, yes, there are major differences, but you dont have to give up the things you ove to eat here in UK when you come, you just have to adjust and buy the things ( or better get your prospective hubby to take you) you want.

Rice...Rice can be purchased in most major supermarkets, the main ones are Tescos, Sainsburys, Asda, Morrisons, Waitrose, and M and S, also many local convenience stores always sell rice, however, my wife always complains that the rice they sell is not paticularly palatable to Filipinos, but there are so many growing chinese warehouses in UK now that you will be surely to find one in most major cities, for example if you like Thai fragrant rice, you can find that at the chinese warehouses, also, many Filipino ingredients, Datu Puti and soy sauces, and Mang tomas these also can be found at your local chinese warehouses, so dont despair, just make sure when you arrive, your hubby takes you to these places, depending on where you live, this may involve a day out in the car, but well worth it.
Another tip is this, if you are intending to cook Filipino dishes, that stink to high heaven, do this when hubby is out at work, then he does not pass out or collapse from the fumes of your special meals, when he is coming home from work. This will also avoid raised voices and you will not hear things like " You are killing me with your cooking"

Freindship and culturual issues.

Unlike the Philippines which is a very inter-dependant society, the UK is almost the opposite, I noticed that one person who posted yesterday said how there is no prejudice, generally this is very true, my wife commented to me many times, that no one is prejudiced against her, and that she fitted into UK society very easily, no one talked about her jet black hair, or her Filipino looks, she told me how happy she was when she got her job, no one treats her badly, I think she expected that.

However, UK Life can be very quiet for the Filipino spouse/fiancee just arriving in country, sometimes, the lack of contact affects that one, UK People are not very inter-dependant, they tend to go about their business and when the working day is done, they go home to their flats, houses, etc and dont really talk to others, a UK Street is not like a barangay street, there are not lots of people sitting out at night, chatting and having tsismis, its too cold at the moment for that, and even in the summer, thats also rare, people just dont do that, so having interaction with others is hard sometimes, many Filipinos complain about this, and say, there is no people around.

Many of my colleagues here at this forum have mentioned about where to meet people, andypaul said there are many thousands of Filipinos in country, they are everywhere to be found if you look, although you tend to meet them gradually over a period of time, you have to go to events and fun things to meet people, but gradually you will find like minded freinds, although you should also try and get indigenous UK freinds, and not limit your freindships to the Filipino community.

Some Filipina's come here and say, its boring during the week and they only enjoy the weekends, when hubby takes them to a shopping mall, this may be true, it can be pretty boring during the weekdays, that I will not deny, but life is really what you make it !, you have to have interests, that you can take up during the evenings, if you are not working, then find things to make you amused, if you are working, then your time during the week wil be taken up.

Its the winter right now, and you might need warmer clothes that what you are used to, you can get them here in UK when you arrive, you can of course bring some things you always use out in the Philippines before you come, there are endless lists posted in this forum of things too numerous, but really, you can get most of them when you arrive, there are at least 4 or 5 Filipino supermarkets I can think of in London alone, depending on where you live in UK, you will be able to find some of them here, if you look around.

Some of the other ladies have already said, when you arrive, it takes time to adjust to the way of life here, first impressions are not always a good indicator of how it will be, you will start to think that life here is expensive, that is true, to the average Filipino UK goods are incedibly expensive, as is any service you buy, adjustment comes with time, and even after long periods of living here, Filipinos still never adjust to the cost of living.

There are some great things about the UK, such as its wonderful scenery and history, those Filipinos who fare better, are those who embrace the culture and learn about the history and want to go around, to find out for themselves about the land, history, and culture, those who fare badly, are those who only want to go out for the day, if it involves browsing around signature goods shopping malls, this might be fine in the Philippines, but here, there is so much to do if you are prepared to broaden ones horizons, as others have said, dont have any pre-conceived expectations of how your life will be, take each day as a new experience.

Transport.

Transport will be different to everything you have ever experienced, its pretty hard to get a tricycle or a Jeepney just cos you want to get downtown, there are not many of those around, unless your hubby wants to brave the cold weather and tow you downtown on his push bike and cart, public transport is mainly, buses, ( expensive) and trains, taxis are not plentiful in most cities, and they have to be telephoned to get one, there are no flag downs in urban areas, they are almost non existent in rural towns or villages.

If you want a taxi, you will have to call a taxi, the rate of cost will be extortionate compared to the journey, buses do not always stop outside your door, you may have to walk for 15 minutes to a bus stop, buses and taxis are not the preferred method of tavel here for many, the private car is always the preferred method, in London, you will fare better if you get used to the London transport network, it is excellent, even though it is over 100 years old in many places, however, most Filipinos who live in the London area, are blessed with an excellent transport system, and they use it to the full.

But you may have to face up, that you do not live in the London area, and if that is the case, getting around may be difficult and problematic for you at first, some Filipinos who come to UK, actually never go on a bus or a train unless there husband is with them, it takes them quite a while before they will travel alone, this is normal so dont worry, but in time you will come to learn the various methods of transport and start to use them.

Thats enough from me, maybe others would like to chip in with their thoughts on new life here in UK,

Take care.

KeithD
7th November 2006, 09:52
Pete!!! You have buses?? Bloody horse and cart where we live :cwm24: ....and the taxi's are a fiver before you even get in....best to steal a car from the neighbour :D

...and wait until they put green tax on Kiwi Fruit (and other exotics)...a mango will then cost £2.60 instead of £1.50......1500PHP :yikes:

ginapeterb
7th November 2006, 13:38
Pete!!! You have buses?? Bloody horse and cart where we live :cwm24: ....and the taxi's are a fiver before you even get in....best to steal a car from the neighbour :D

...and wait until they put green tax on Kiwi Fruit (and other exotics)...a mango will then cost £2.60 instead of £1.50......1500PHP :yikes:

£5.00 flag down, ang mahal naman....

Louella
7th November 2006, 16:36
Hello,,,

Many many many thanks...
TONET

Hello Tonet,

Mabuhay!
No need to worry about UK coz i'm sure your partner will help you cope with it. The people are nice & very friendly. Food is great & very abundant here. One thing i have difficulty is the weather...very, very cold as in! But no need for me to wear pajama or sexy nightgowns...[my husband doesn't like it] hehehe!!!
I was so happy one time when we went to ASDA & i found a can of sardines w/ red tomato sauce. I thought i couldn't find it here in UK. I agree that some items here are very expensive. Before you decide to get here, be sure you already have a haircut or anything like that coz its very, very expensive here when u go to a hairdresser & you need to set an appointment w/ them, inform them what you want them to do w/ your hair & they will tell you when will be your schedule. That's what happened to me when i got my hair trimmed & it cost me 12 pound.
But anyway, as i said, "no need to worry" ok? Goodluck & best wishes!!!

Louella

KeithD
7th November 2006, 17:14
Sardines :cwm24: Wow....Party time :D :xxgrinning--00xx3:

scotsfiancee
7th November 2006, 17:25
Before you decide to get here, be sure you already have a haircut or anything like that coz its very, very expensive here when u go to a hairdresser & you need to set an appointment w/ them, inform them what you want them to do w/ your hair & they will tell you when will be your schedule. That's what happened to me when i got my hair trimmed & it cost me 12 pound. Louella

It cost me nothing, coz i cut my hair by myself :D

How? :Erm:

Philip
7th November 2006, 19:13
Thanks for taking the time to type that all out Pete. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
7th November 2006, 21:08
It cost me nothing, coz i cut my hair by myself :D

How? :Erm:

I suppose you make soup out of the cuttings! :cwm3:

scotsfiancee
7th November 2006, 22:07
I suppose you make soup out of the cuttings! :cwm3:

I only do pork liver soup.. thats it!!! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
7th November 2006, 22:17
We call them pigs...not porks :Rasp: ......porking is something you do to the wife :action-smiley-081:

scotsfiancee
8th November 2006, 10:52
We call them pigs...not porks :Rasp: ......porking is something you do to the wife :action-smiley-081:

:NoNo:

Louella
8th November 2006, 15:20
Sardines :cwm24: Wow....Party time :D :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yes Keith, I like it very much...:toung: While i was in Phils, i mixed it with soy sauce & lemon & i eat it :Rasp: w/ just my bare hands...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
8th November 2006, 15:24
Next you'll be telling us they sell Spam :omg:

andypaul
8th November 2006, 20:39
A few points to add to all the kind words and useful advice from all the others.

Make sure your nail kit goes in your hold luggage (suitcase) don't take it on as hand luggage whatever you do as security will take it away.

My Wife is in her early 20's and at first was overwhelmed by the UK, but now she loves it and the freedom you will have here.

People will accept you for who you are, you will meet people from all over the world.

My Wife wears the latest Uk styles (thank you God for primark), is addicted to hollyoaks, has a set of friends which is like a meeting of the UN, has developed a local accent and uses and understands most local slang, which she can use when needed (this helps so you don't stick out so much). In fact most older phills she meets in the local phill shops, or out and about at first think she was born or at least raised here and are amazed she only entered the country a year and a month ago.

But this does not mean my Wife has forgotten the values she was brought up with or forgets her family back in phill.

Do read up about where Philip lives, get to know the area. My wife did this firstly to help with her English course but once she was here found the fact she had a basic idea of the local geography helped her to slowly find her way round.
My Wife (and myself privately) that she might get lost, but due to the videos i made and us both learning the local area well before traveling more around london. She now knows most of the side streets and where everything is locally and further afield.
Now her friends and her dash all over london in the pursuit of clothing and makeup.

Like pete writes so well, try not to get to imbroiled in the local phill comunity to a point where you know no one else. It could make you homesick, better to realise that all people are the same deep down wherever they come from in the world.

Remeber also to keep asking the questions as thats what makes this forum so good :-)

Philip
10th January 2007, 21:16
Remeber also to keep asking the questions as thats what makes this forum so good :-)

I think Tonet's forgotten how to post! :Rasp:

Kamusta mahal ko!!! :Hellooo: