PDA

View Full Version : Life In Detention ( From the letters of Kevin and the staff )

britishdetained
25th July 2009, 21:15
These are from the letters of Kevin and the TAYLORS Staff who are in detention.

Its over two months now Kevin and my staff are detained. Since the arrest, Kevin and I have been exchanging letters everytime my daugther visits him. From his letters, he had been narrating what life they got behind bars, he as well told me the treatment they get from prison guards, police and inmates.

From May 15th to June 18th Kevin and the staff were detained at PNP Custodial Center in Camp Crame. He said that most detainess in there are those who are accused of HIGH PROFILE crimes such as drug related cases, murders, terrorism, kidnapping, name it. He was so afraid when he was first sent there as everyone detained are really facing charges that most people would be scared of to talk about. He was placed in a cell with other three detainees. They have TV, a CR and bed. The detention is in a maximum security but then inside they are free to move, walk and have some exercise. There is a small shop in which you can have the things that you also get outside (ciggies, soda, chips, etc) it is like a small grocery inside the detention. Inmates are a little friendlier and they do not steal food, money and personal things as most detainees are from a well off families. Actually he said he saw Sen. Trinales and some other High profile criminals. But they are not bad, he even said they even help each other, give each other advice and even share their life story. The only problem are the guards. He calls them beggars in uniforms. They are the one who steals food, clothing and even cash. Extortion inside the detention is a big problem. If you dont give what the guards want, you can't get priviledges. You must have something really to bribe these guards in able to move around or even get favors. Each day, I must give P1,000 to Kevin for him to pay these and that... if you send a food it must be multiplied to three as each gate must have the same thing or the detainee won't get it. Example you bring a burger, it must be three burgers so the other two will be for the guards and the other one is for Kevin. That is the rule Kevin and I have to remember.

Same with the staff, I have to pay a protection money for them. It is P200 every week for each staff. Everytime I send food it must be multiplied to three as the guards must have their share. If you ge sick, you must pay back the medicines, the check up twice as expensive outside. Basically, inside the detention the rule is all about money...

19th of June, Kevin and the staff were transfered to San Mateo Municipal Jail. Kevin describe this jail as a hell hole. Why? Kevin is placed in a small cell together with 90 Filipino prisoners. The wall is tinted with human urine and stained with blood. Floors are infested with cockroaches and rats. You must sleep on the floor with a small box as your bedding. You'll lucky enough to get a plywood as your bed. Same thing as in Crame, once they are transfered you must pay for a protection money. Kevin was asked to pay P1,000 and the staff paid P700 each. Kevin has to pay for a bedspace. This is if you want to sleep lying on your back. If you do not pay you will sleep sidewards...it means sleeping only half of your body must occupy the space. It is too difficult for Kevin as he is big. He said it is like you are already facing your sentence as it is very hot inside (because there are 90+ prisoners). He said that those who are detained at the city jail are not well off not like at Crame. So small things will be missing and inmates acts like animals. They can start a fight over a piece of bread. The prisoners are stealing his foods, water and even clothes. I have to send Kevin the oldest set of clothing so the inmates wont get an interest over it. He said at night he must avoid walking as he can tip off the prisoners. That is how they are over crowded. And one of the biggest problem is using the CR. Actually he said if you want to take a bath in the morning, you must start to queque in (fall in line) early as it needs two hour before you will get your time. He has to pee in a small bottle same as the others, and needs to pay to pooh. It is as well about money, and those who do not have, must face the sad reality on being treated like a dog. Kevin told me that everytime he speaks to the inmates your heart will beak apart knowing how petty their crimes they have commited. There are some who stolen P200 but since he cannot bail him self he has been detained more than half a year already. There are some who have'nt got visitors more than a year already. If you do not have a visitor you are not allowed to get out your cell and no chance of getting a little air and sunlight. That is why Kevin is visited twice a day so atleast he will have a chance outside the cell to have some stretching, a little air and a bit of sunlight. And he said the worse thing in there is the food. It is placed in a big bucket full of mixed rice and vegetables scooped and placed in a plastic cup and distributed to prisoners. He told me that it was like feeding a dog with a left over food. And he really pity the inmates who doesn't have visitors and food from their families as they have no choice but to eat the supply. Prisoners have nothing to do as no space for a little recreation. You can only do two things...sleep or stare on space. Kevin has to write sitting or facing the wall as the wall is his table or write lying down. He has to move near the bars so he can have a little supply of light. These are the same thing Rowena, Sheryl and Grace have told my daugther who everytime visits them and brings food. They told me that the only thing they are waiting for everyday is the food...getting their food means they can be out the cell and have a chance to get a little nice air.

However , Rowena is different. Because she has HEPA B she has to be isolated to others. She is placed in a small stock room without a door almost same size as a wardrobe cabinet. She has to sleep on the floor also. When she gave birth a week ago, she has to bring her newly born baby with her. They both sleeps on the floor and on that area.

Their situation really is very inhuman. If you will read their letters all you can do is cry...it is very sad that they have to suffer to all these because of a selfish accusation and an arrest illegally. These are all because of money, jelously and blackmail. Kevin, my staff and I have done nothing wrong but to help Filipinos with thier VISA. We hope that soon the truth would come out and we will get the JUSTICE that my husband and my staff deserves.