PDA

View Full Version : Hull ISP cuts off suspected file sharers

LadyJ
24th July 2009, 20:19
Humberside internet service provider (ISP) Karoo has started cutting off customers suspected of illegal file-sharing, as part of a 'three strikes' policy aimed at cutting piracy. Skip related content

According to reports, customers disconnected by the provider have been sent a formal notification, and must sign a document admitting guilt and promising not to do it again in order to be reconnected.

Users continuing to illegally share and download content could face permanent disconnection after a third violation.

The move has been slammed by the Open Rights Group (ORG), an organisation set up to preserve and promote 'digital rights'. The group pointed out that there is no legal procedure or right of appeal taking place, and that there are no other telecoms companies in Hull, limiting the option of moving to another provider.

"People are being found guilty by a Kang-Karoo court," said Jim Killock, executive director of the ORG.

"Internet access is crucial for freedom of expression in the digital age. It's also how people do business and gain an education. A monopoly like Karoo cannot be allowed to arbitrarily decide when to limit our fundamental rights. Only courts can do that."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/16/20090724/ttc-hull-isp-cuts-off-suspected-file-sha-6315470.html

Arturo
25th July 2009, 06:50
"Internet access is crucial for freedom of expression in the digital age. It's also how people do business and gain an education.

Maybe he should try selling the concept to China!

And

Just because Hull ahs no other ISP... Orange, BBC, and a busload of thers offer national coverage they can move too....perhaps if they stopped doing illegal downloads - they would not have a problem!

beppe
25th July 2009, 07:08
Humberside internet service provider (ISP) Karoo has started cutting off customers suspected of illegal file-sharing, as part of a 'three strikes' policy aimed at cutting piracy. Skip related content

According to reports, customers disconnected by the provider have been sent a formal notification, and must sign a document admitting guilt and promising not to do it again in order to be reconnected.

Users continuing to illegally share and download content could face permanent disconnection after a third violation.

The move has been slammed by the Open Rights Group (ORG), an organisation set up to preserve and promote 'digital rights'. The group pointed out that there is no legal procedure or right of appeal taking place, and that there are no other telecoms companies in Hull, limiting the option of moving to another provider.

"People are being found guilty by a Kang-Karoo court," said Jim Killock, executive director of the ORG.

"Internet access is crucial for freedom of expression in the digital age. It's also how people do business and gain an education. A monopoly like Karoo cannot be allowed to arbitrarily decide when to limit our fundamental rights. Only courts can do that."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/16/20090724/ttc-hull-isp-cuts-off-suspected-file-sha-6315470.html

Illegal file-sharing is against the law, since the provider is aware of illegal activities, more likely they are afraid of being accused to be an accessory in a crime.
In court they may be questioned what they have done to stop illegal file sharing.

darren-b
25th July 2009, 07:29
Illegal file-sharing is against the law, since the provider is aware of illegal activities, more likely they are afraid of being accused to be an accessory in a crime.
In court they may be questioned what they have done to stop illegal file sharing.

Yes ISPs are aware that people are illegally downloading, but they are not required to snoop on what people are doing. Do you think mobile phone companies should snoop on their customers as well? As I am know mobile phones are used for various crimes (eg drug deals).

The problem here as pointed out is Karoo are only acting in this way because they have a restricted market - there is no competition for highspeed Internet in Hull. I would also guess that the reason Karoo is doing this is to try and reduce the amount of traffic on their network (and therefore save money) rather than for legal reasons.

joebloggs
25th July 2009, 08:12
lets see how long karoo are around for, at the end of the day they are a business to make money, every banned customer or new potential customers who go else where because of their policy will cost them. lets see if they change their mind very soon :rolleyes:

KeithD
25th July 2009, 08:43
ISP's know who are using P2P services, and in most cases the bandwidth is throttled right down, but they do not know what you are downloading, unless they themselves download every single P2P file and run it, and that is not their job, the same as BT are not liable for what you say on the phone, RM are not liable for what you put in the post, etc.

aposhark
25th July 2009, 09:18
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8166640.stm

joebloggs
25th July 2009, 09:58
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8166640.stm

:icon_lol: :action-smiley-081:

that was quick, now lets see how long it is b4 they get rid of the 3 strikes and your out policy.. i think soon as they start losing customers :doh

darren-b
25th July 2009, 11:38
lets see how long karoo are around for, at the end of the day they are a business to make money, every banned customer or new potential customers who go else where because of their policy will cost them. lets see if they change their mind very soon :rolleyes:

:icon_lol: :action-smiley-081:

that was quick, now lets see how long it is b4 they get rid of the 3 strikes and your out policy.. i think soon as they start losing customers :doh

They won't though lose that many customers. Karoo/Kingston Telecom pretty much have a monopoly in the Hull area.

joebloggs
25th July 2009, 11:56
They won't though lose that many customers. Karoo/Kingston Telecom pretty much have a monopoly in the Hull area.

just get a bt line or sky,
most people can pick what isp they want, and those that cap or cut people off will lose customers.. just like when tiscali capped me, i moved isp. no problems, their loss.

darren-b
25th July 2009, 13:36
most people can pick what isp they want, and those that cap or cut people off will lose customers.. just like when tiscali capped me, i moved isp. no problems, their loss.

Not in Hull though... Hull is the only place in the UK not served by BT.

ukgangster
26th July 2009, 11:58

I just moved from BT to 02 . BT were becoming a pain in the bum with their silly restrictions; £15.99 for Option 1 with a 10Gb download limit with a £1.20 per Gb over limit, and an 18month contract. In this day and age of YouTube and online streaming, those limits are pathetic. Elsa watches a lot of Pinoy TV online, and 10 Gb doesn't last long.

The deal I got with 02 is unlimited downloads and AND 2 months free all for £17.13. Plus free connection and UK call centres. My local exchange has BT as the sole supplier, with no LLU or anything like that, so I'm stuck with ADSL platform products only. If I was in an LLU area, 02 would have offered the above deal at just £7.82 monthly.

joebloggs
26th July 2009, 15:09
yes Rob, I'm thinking of changing to O2 if bulldog don't knock at least £15 a month of my bill. i didn't mind paying £40 a month more than 2yrs ago for the service they provided, but now with O2 offering less than 1/2 the price of that, time to go ..

somebody
5th August 2009, 12:35

Waiting to see 10 mile long telephone cables to outside of the area as people change provider:D

joebloggs
5th August 2009, 18:22
Waiting to see 10 mile long telephone cables to outside of the area as people change provider:D

what about sky :Erm:

anyway my nice old long 10 mile telephone cable is ok with me, i can download at 4.5 mb/s :rolleyes:

darren-b
5th August 2009, 21:07
what about sky :Erm:

anyway my nice old long 10 mile telephone cable is ok with me, i can download at 4.5 mb/s :rolleyes:

Sky don't provide broadband via satellite. And though Sky could put their equipment into Kingston Communications' exchanges, they don't.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/nov/10/internet