PDA

View Full Version : UK Residence Card (EEA2)

reginacarlson
23rd July 2009, 23:51
Hello everyone! It's been awhile since I posted a message here...been very busy at work.

Anyway, just need some clarifications regarding UK Residence Cards (EEA2). I'm married to a French national and would like to travel to France with my husband.

I came across the French Embassy's website today and found out that foreign spouse of French nationals are now an exception to the visa free travel???

Does this mean that I now need to apply for a Schengen visa when travelling to France? But I read from another forum that this is only for spouses of French citizens who have not exercised their treaty rights in another European country. Can someone enlighten me please? Thanks.

Note as from March 2009, The foreign spouse of a EU national (except French national) may enter France without visa if they are holding a valid travel document, a valid UK residence permit with the endorsement "family member of EEA national" and if they are meeting up or travelling with the EU national. If you do not meet the set criteria, you will need to apply for a visa to travel to France and both the spouse’s valid EU passport AND the marriage certificate are requested. However, you may apply for a short stay Schengen visa, i.e. pay the visa administrative fees and provide all requested documents (proof of activity, of financial means of support, of travel and of insurance).

bornatbirth
24th July 2009, 00:18
are you both living in the uk?

seems to me you still need a schengen visa to travel inside the rest of europe?

aromulus
24th July 2009, 06:16
The way I understand it, is that you will need a Schengen Visa.

The foreign spouse of a EU national (except French national)

That says it all.

joebloggs
24th July 2009, 06:24
looks to me they changed it, because as your hubby is a French national, he cannot exercise his treaty rights in France, so EU immigration law doesn't apply to you in this case, but they must have changed french immigration law so that you will now need a visa to bring his wife to France.

similar to what us brits face, EU law doesn't apply to us in the UK :doh