PDA

View Full Version : ITV Axes "The Bill" In Scotland!

Arthur Little
23rd July 2009, 21:51
Grrr ... :angry: I'd been looking forward to tuning-into the Indepedent Broadcasting Authority's revamp of the highly-popular - and long-running - cop drama series tonight on STV. It was to be screened at the later time of 10.35, according to the weekly magazine/television supplement issued with last Sunday's Scottish News of the World. As TV programmes are apt to be re-scheduled without prior warning, I thought it wise to check beforehand with a couple of local daily papers, just in case ...

... and what did I find? The prime-time slot had been given over to some documentary or other about our [Scottish] icons ... among them, a brand of malt whisky (of all things) from Islay being sampled by a "weel kent" Scots actor. And then, as if to add "insult to injury" a double-check with the internet revealed the "devastating" discovery that future episodes of The Bill would no longer be transmitted north of the border!

It's a f:censored:ng disgrace!

Tawi2
23rd July 2009, 22:04
Its a crime arthur,you could always report it to The Independent Police Complaints Commission :Erm: but that shows gone downhill since reg hollis,bob cryer,and june ackland departed(or is reg still in???),personally I always preferred "Take the high road" with Mrs Mack,she reminded me of my gran :)

bornatbirth
23rd July 2009, 22:23
we are getting it in HD at a new time slot,i saw reg in it a while back but hes like nick cotton.

besides maybe scotland is crime free and being replaced with kilt making and scottish loose women :icon_lol:

Tawi2
23rd July 2009, 22:25
I saw Nick Cotton in Kingston on Thames buying a book in that big book shop in the market square :Erm: I am glad Reg is still sleuthing though :xxgrinning--00xx3:

aromulus
24th July 2009, 06:36
What you wingeying about...???:Erm:

You got what not many people south of the border are not really bothered to watch on tv.... :Erm:

"Taggart"....:omg:

Now, that's real murrrrrderrrr........:icon_lol:

KeithD
24th July 2009, 08:50
It used to be good when it first came out, but then it turned into a soap and went completely :action-smiley-081:

Arthur Little
24th July 2009, 10:08
Its a crime arthur ...

... :iagree: it sure IS!

Tawi2
24th July 2009, 10:15
Dont you remember the original "Taggart" Mark McManus,now he played a proper gritty realistic glaswegian copper :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
24th July 2009, 11:09
:Erm: but that shows gone downhill since reg hollis,bob cryer,and june ackland departed(or is reg still in???)

Alas, the character of PC Reg was given the "chop":behead: ... or rather, the actor [Jeff Stewart] was written out of the series. Bob Cryer and June Ackland - sergeants both - played by Eric Richard and Trudy Goodwin, respectively were, on the other hand, pensioned off.

... personally I always preferred "Take the high road" with Mrs Mack,she reminded me of my gran :)

Strangely [with me being a Scot and all] I wasn't quite so familiar :NoNo: with THIS "homegrown" programme. Gwyneth Guthrie was the name of the actress in the role of 'Mrs Mack', who put you in mind of your dear old gran.

we are getting it in HD at a new time slot,

Lucky YOU! At least you'll still be able to watch it ... in High Definition, at that! :cwm24:

i saw reg in it a while back but hes like nick cotton.

:iagree:He IS indeed! Very different sort of characters, though.

besides maybe scotland is crime free and being replaced with kilt making and scottish loose women :icon_lol:

You kidding ... ?? :icon_lol:

:Erm: I am glad Reg is still sleuthing though :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sadly :bigcry: ... no longer

Arthur Little
24th July 2009, 11:29
Its a crime arthur,you could always report it to The Independent Police Complaints Commission

:Erm: Or how about referring the matter to John Carr? Oh no, ... he's long retired and living in Espagne ... :doh And I'll bet :REGamblMoney01HL1: HE'S even able to tune-in THERE!

Tawi2
24th July 2009, 11:32
:Erm: Or how about referring the matter to John Carr? Oh no, ... he's long retired and living in Espagne ... :doh And I'll bet :REGamblMoney01HL1: HE'S even able to tune-in THERE!

Carr?Scottish name,originating from the bridge of carr 14 miles north of Aviemore and meaning "Marsh dweller" :Erm: I had to research it once,is it scandinavian in origin originally?

Arthur Little
24th July 2009, 11:44
What you wingeying about...???:Erm:

You got what not many people south of the border are not really bothered to watch on tv.... :Erm:

"Taggart"....:omg:

Now, that's real murrrrrderrrr........:icon_lol:

True! :iagree: "But I fear there's gonna be BLUE murder :BlueTeamEnforcer: north of the border sUr ... if STV ['SILLY Television Viewers'] start lobbying the producers."

Arthur Little
24th July 2009, 11:47
Carr?Scottish name,originating from the bridge of carr 14 miles north of Aviemore and meaning "Marsh dweller" :Erm: I had to research it once,is it scandinavian in origin originally?

Really ... ? :Erm: Wonder if John's aware of that?

Arthur Little
24th July 2009, 12:03
Dont you remember the original "Taggart" Mark McManus,now he played a proper gritty realistic glaswegian copper :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yup! I remember it well. One of my pals recently admitted he regularly watched the original series when Mark McManus played the "REAL" Taggart. But, 'mark' you, [Pun INtended] Alex Norton's performance as DCI Burke is almost as good a portrayal of the archetypal Glasgow hardman. :xxaction-smiley-047

Arthur Little
24th July 2009, 12:24
we are getting it in HD at a new time slot

Why's THAT then? :rolleyes: ... the mind boggles ... ! :cwm24: Are YOU on the night-shift then? And p'raps getting "IT" :Sex: during the day instead?

Arthur Little
24th July 2009, 12:43
It used to be good when it first came out, but then it turned into a soap and went completely :action-smiley-081:

Nah! It was pretty "tame" when it was first televised in the early '80s ... more of a 'PC Plod' [Dixon of Dock Green fashion sort of programme really (with petty villains :xxsmilie_auslachen:) which, admittedly though, I enjoyed!]. But gradually, over the intervening two decades, the producers have focussed to a larger extent on the private lives of the main characters. And I, for one, became "hooked".

bornatbirth
24th July 2009, 12:45
Why's THAT then? :rolleyes: ... the mind boggles ... ! :cwm24: Are YOU on the night-shift then? And p'raps getting "IT" :Sex: during the day instead?

its on at 9pm now and to be show on itv HD,i quite like taggart...oh about sex i like it all times of day :D

Arthur Little
24th July 2009, 12:48
...oh about sex i like it all times of day

Attaboy ... :xxgrinning--00xx3: ... keep it up! :icon_tonguew:

GaryFifer
27th July 2009, 10:34
Taggart is great. Touch of Frost I enjoyed too. The Bill seems to concentrate too much on Smithy.
Aslo the other one thats is about time travel to the 1980s... I forget the name. Name?

I just laugh at my old man watching CSI Miami. The forensic ladies turn up at the murder scene with lipstick, long hair and high heels looking fabulous handling the evidence.

Then I think of Taggart with the guys from head to toe in plastic macs like they are ready for swine flu! Thats before they even walk into the place.

Tawi2
27th July 2009, 10:43
"Life on mars" :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
27th July 2009, 10:59
Taggart is great. The Bill seems to concentrate too much on Smithy.

:iagree: on both counts!! Being Glaswegian by birth ... and an avid fan of [British] detective series ... Taggart has a "natural" appeal for ME!

And you're right "The Bill" HAS tended to focus just a bit too much on the rather serious doggedly-determined sergeant (now inspector, I believe!) of late. But mind you, I do enjoy learning something about the characters' personal lives ... if it's interesting enough.

I just laugh at my old man watching CSI Miami. The forensic ladies turn up at the murder scene with lipstick, long hair and high heels looking fabulous handling the evidence.

Then I think of Taggart with the guys from head to toe in plastic macs like they are ready for swine flu! Thats before they even walk into the place.

Absolutely! There's no contest ... our homegrown crime dramas have long concentrated far more on realism than glamour and hence, are far more believable. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

GaryFifer
27th July 2009, 11:50
What do you think of Dexter. I enjoy the thoughts over what he is doing throughout that typical film noir style

Arthur Little
29th July 2009, 22:54
:Yippeee: All is not lost after all. In about ten minutes' time, the first two episodes of the new series will be screened as a double bill [pun INtended] from 11pm till 1am on ITV3! Just hope I don't "doze-off" :NEW5: during it.