PDA

View Full Version : Boosting performance and examining running services

GaryFifer
16th July 2009, 20:47
Browsing on fileplanet for some of the lastest demos, I did come across a little game booster that closes all the non-essential processes. Helps with games with Quake and Oblivion.

The program is a no brainer- just press the button Switch to gaming mode and it closes non-essential progs. Then press NORMAL after you play.

Game booster (http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html?Str=download)

For technies- Of course you can always do this yourself in windows run menu. Just type services.msc in RUN and see all the things that slow you PC down.

On another note on the Microsoft TECHNET site is a program that lists the processes and threads. Called PROCESS EXPLORER

Process explorer at MS TECH (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx)

I haven't used the big SYSinternals Suite on that website yet. But I am sure that is more useful for other issues, as it is the all in one solution.

For me I just wanted to examine the running processes. Hope it helps :xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
16th July 2009, 20:53
Don't play games but sounds like a clever little application, one of those why didn't i think of that shortcuts:xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
16th July 2009, 20:59
Shoot'em games stop you going cuckoo......this is now scientifically proven as it helps your reflexes and keeps the neurons from dying.

GaryFifer
16th July 2009, 20:59
Don't play games but sounds like a clever little application, one of those why didn't i think of that shortcuts:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Even if you don't play the games,we all need to squeeze as much out of PC, and gamers always have to upgrade and follow patches. That is why gaming on PC can be a pain in the backside. It is much better than it used to be and more standardized. Getting games like Duke Nukem 3D to run you required to know IRQ, DMA number for your sound card what make it was. Absolutely crazy.
I did not use the PC 5 years for the primary gaming machine because of compatibility and irritation. Just want to plug in and play, so to speak. Much easier now.

For me it is a good learning tool.Those programs will just get you spotting any rogue services happening in background to, as you start to recognize what happens behind your back.

GaryFifer
16th July 2009, 21:02
Shoot'em games stop you going cuckoo......this is now scientifically proven as it helps your reflexes and keeps the neurons from dying.

Haha good. But if you don't like the violence you can play that cartoony Battlefield game.

I just installed Unreal Tournament 3 yesterday. The maps on that are gorgeous. The plot looks cheesy.

somebody
16th July 2009, 21:07
Even if you don't play the games,we all need to squeeze as much out of PC, and gamers always have to upgrade and follow patches. That is why gaming on PC can be a pain in the backside. It is much better than it used to be and more standardized. Getting games like Duke Nukem 3D to run you required to know IRQ, DMA number for your sound card what make it was. Absolutely crazy.
I did not use the PC 5 years for the primary gaming machine because of compatibility and irritation. Just want to plug in and play, so to speak. Much easier now.

For me it is a good learning tool.Those programs will just get you spotting any rogue services happening in background to, as you start to recognize what happens behind your back.

Totally Agree, nothing wrong with playing games just wish i had the time:D

joebloggs
16th July 2009, 21:19
SYSinternals :xxgrinning--00xx3: pitty they were bought out by MS :doh

MarBell379
16th July 2009, 22:20
I just installed Unreal Tournament 3 yesterday. The maps on that are gorgeous. The plot looks cheesy.

Theres a PLOT?

bornatbirth
16th July 2009, 23:56
Theres a PLOT?

isnt it run around like a nutter and shoot? the plot thickens :D

les_taxi
17th July 2009, 00:22
keith have you tried dis-abling superfetch?

KeithD
17th July 2009, 08:43
keith have you tried dis-abling superfetch?
Deja Vu :cwm24: