PDA

View Full Version : windows 7 discounted

les_taxi
15th July 2009, 11:21
windows 7 home premium available to pre-order £48.13 will retail £150.00!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/:xxgrinning--00xx3:
ordered mine be quick these will dissappear soon.:doh

omg they sold out already!!!

KeithD
15th July 2009, 11:58
You can just buy the OEM version :)

Not sure it's worth upgrading from Vista....doesn't appear to be much difference unless they've rewritten the memory management.

ukgangster
15th July 2009, 12:21
You can just buy the OEM version :)

Not sure it's worth upgrading from Vista....doesn't appear to be much difference unless they've rewritten the memory management.

Its more of a Vista-lite than a brand new o/s (sort of Windows 98 to ME), whats important, W7 wont need silly amounts of memory, CPU and graphics as in Vista. M$ have done the right thing with W7 IMHO.

les_taxi
15th July 2009, 12:26
play.com have it. much faster than vista,better than xp.i have had all 3 and although my use is home pc only windows 7 is great.i have been using it for 3 months now and it's the o/s to get.people have snapped it up so quick as they know it's a great o/s.i dont think you will get it any cheaper even for oem version.

somebody
15th July 2009, 19:05
People actually pay for Windows:omg:

If you buy a Vista device at the moment you can get it as a free upgrade.

MS are desperate for numbers as they cant afford another Vista damp squib.

on the half price offer

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/buy/offers/pre-order.aspx

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_skus_compare.asp

Dont forget the EU version as no Internet explorer so make sure you have your browser/s of choice avaiable to load on..

MarBell379
15th July 2009, 19:07
My next upgrade will be a Mac.
Ive got too fed up with slow boots and rebuilds, constant application hanging etc:Brick:

KeithD
15th July 2009, 19:48
[QUOTE=somebody;153033]People actually pay for Windows:omg:

If you buy a Vista device at the moment you can get it as a free upgrade.

[QUOTE]
Then your are still paying for Windows! :doh

GaryFifer
15th July 2009, 19:51
Just a question. How many security updates has Windows 7 had already?

KeithD
15th July 2009, 20:26
Just a question. How many security updates has Windows 7 had already?
You constantly get security updates for all OS, I'd be worried if you didn't. My Linux servers get them daily.

les_taxi
16th July 2009, 01:44
just download firefox and keep ready to install.take my word its a great o/s.2 example's
plug in a device,camera,flah drive etc in seconds its installed no need for instalation disc in most cases, i purposley uninstalled my sound driver,re-booted.windows 7 found my driver and installed it straight away.my pc loads up faster than xp,no security issues at all,i use nod a/v and i love this o/s.its how vista should have been.once you have used this you would not return to xp.

KeithD
16th July 2009, 08:57
I've never had a problem with Visat, and have over 5.5Million files running on it, and God knows how much hardware.

W7 will have security issues, and Vista "plug in a device,camera,flah drive etc in seconds its installed no need for instalation disc in most cases" does this!

It is a memory hog though needing at least 2GB, but that is not the software, it was the way they done the memory management which thinks it knows what you may use next and pre-loads it into memory, except in my case it gets it wrong 100% of the time as I use so much software.

les_taxi
16th July 2009, 10:31
I've never had a problem with Visat, and have over 5.5Million files running on it, and God knows how much hardware.

W7 will have security issues, and Vista "plug in a device,camera,flah drive etc in seconds its installed no need for instalation disc in most cases" does this!

It is a memory hog though needing at least 2GB, but that is not the software, it was the way they done the memory management which thinks it knows what you may use next and pre-loads it into memory, except in my case it gets it wrong 100% of the time as I use so much software.

I agree with what you say to some extent keith.I used vista too and liked it and never really had a problem with it.But windows 7 really is vista lite all the good stuff but faster,microsoft new thet had not got vista right and this is really how vista should have been,i think it's a great oppotunity to get windows 7 a heavily discounted price (under £50) while we can.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
16th July 2009, 11:57
I'd rather see it work for a year as I have so much software I use I need to ensure it all works, and don't really need a cut-down version anyway, works fine on a 4Gb memory, Quadcore, with a few terrabytes of disk space.

somebody
16th July 2009, 20:05
I agree with what you say to some extent keith.I used vista too and liked it and never really had a problem with it.But windows 7 really is vista lite all the good stuff but faster,microsoft new thet had not got vista right and this is really how vista should have been,i think it's a great oppotunity to get windows 7 a heavily discounted price (under £50) while we can.:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Might be free in a years time with Google and whatever happens in 2010.

I belive the web version office is going to be free although with no browser supplied maybe thats why its free:D

KeithD
16th July 2009, 20:18
...and it only works in IE.....you can't be done under the monopoly laws for free stuff :icon_lol:

somebody
16th July 2009, 20:21

im not sure if the o/s are a memory hog as people still often dont put in enough Memory.

Are we on the whole underesitimating the memory we need? CPus, video cards and HDD are increased at far quicker rates than the Memory in my experience.

All the XP devices at our workplace have few problems all kitted out with two or three gb and fly along and its rare to see a blue screen unless a user does something stoooooooopid.

The missus bought a laptop recently with vista and again with 4gbytes of memory no problems.It cost not much more for the memory compared to the cheaper version, ok i got it on the Swine flu contingency expenses:rolleyes:

Many of her friends and other people i know have a lower spec of the same Dell. They are not so happy with their device and have crashes, hangs ups and alsorts.

KeithD
16th July 2009, 20:24
Regardless of hom much memory you have in Vista, even 8GB's, Vista's memory manager will fill it when you boot with programs it expects you to use. So if you don't do what it thinks, it has to unload then load the correct software.

somebody
16th July 2009, 20:43
Regardless of hom much memory you have in Vista, even 8GB's, Vista's memory manager will fill it when you boot with programs it expects you to use. So if you don't do what it thinks, it has to unload then load the correct software.

I dont use it personally, Vampires have Garlic I have Vista:D

KeithD
16th July 2009, 21:00
Wonder when W8 will be out :Erm:

somebody
16th July 2009, 21:09
Wonder when W8 will be out :Erm:Rather have a V8:D

les_taxi
17th July 2009, 00:23
keith have you tried dis-abling superfetch?

KeithD
17th July 2009, 08:42
keith have you tried dis-abling superfetch?
Yes, but Vista still fills up the memory as Superfetch is just the 'guessing' part not the 'putting' :doh

It needs to work on the basis of software used most in the last week, but still keep 50% of the memory free, not <10% in some cases. With Superfetch off, it just keeps filling up the memory, and only takes stuff out when it needs it!!!

ukgangster
18th July 2009, 11:18
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=119367

M$ have withdrawn the special promo pricing, now up to £79.99. Not such a bargain now.

tomm
18th July 2009, 13:07
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=119367

M$ have withdrawn the special promo pricing, now up to £79.99. Not such a bargain now.

Dixon's still have it :xxgrinning--00xx3: but be :222:

les_taxi
18th July 2009, 13:59
Dixon's still have it :xxgrinning--00xx3: but be :222:

pc world too be quick,i ordered 4 copies:D

somebody
18th July 2009, 19:55
pc world too be quick,i ordered 4 copies:D

Blimey.

I have a feeling that if Google do release Chrome OS then MS and Apple will have a free os, a kind of lite operating system. Will all os prices drop along the scale as well?

With Microsoft hiring the guy who helped set up the Apple retail stores and ms, yahoo, apple and google fighting one another in various areas and markets gonna be an intresting couple of years and good for the customer:xxgrinning--00xx3:

les_taxi
19th July 2009, 09:25
Blimey.

I have a feeling that if Google do release Chrome OS then MS and Apple will have a free os, a kind of lite operating system. Will all os prices drop along the scale as well?

With Microsoft hiring the guy who helped set up the Apple retail stores and ms, yahoo, apple and google fighting one another in various areas and markets gonna be an intresting couple of years and good for the customer:xxgrinning--00xx3:

yes four seems a lot but 3 will be to sell - on :D
in 6 months they wont be available at that price and i.m confident of making nice little profit.a retail genuine xp is about £40 on ebay.i would at the very least get what i paid for them.since i fix and format lots of pcs im sure if i instal the new o/s on them i will have some happy customers.

KeithD
19th July 2009, 10:25
If you build PC's you buy the cheaper OEM's

joebloggs
19th July 2009, 11:25
i'll not bother, even it it was free :D

I'm still using XP and will be for a long time to come, hardly ever crashes and its on 24/7 for nearly 2yrs :xxgrinning--00xx3:

les_taxi
19th July 2009, 13:14
well i used it over 3 months best o/s i ever used. xp was great,i liked vista too but this is better than both. but not going to argue the point each entitltled to his own view but this will become the main o/s for the majority of users in a few years time when xp no longer supported.

joebloggs
19th July 2009, 13:28
well i used it over 3 months best o/s i ever used. xp was great,i liked vista too but this is better than both. but not going to argue the point each entitltled to his own view but this will become the main o/s for the majority of users in a few years time when xp no longer supported.

xp will be around for many years, how many companies will pay or go thru the hassle of upgrading h/w and the o/s ? ' the old saying 'if it works, don't fix it ':D

i think xp will be supported for a long time to come, ms already changed the date at least once..

les_taxi
19th July 2009, 13:55
xp will be around for many years, how many companies will pay or go thru the hassle of upgrading h/w and the o/s ? ' the old saying 'if it works, don't fix it ':D

i think xp will be supported for a long time to come, ms already changed the date at least once..

a twin tub washing machine works but we prefer automatics,:D
i spend a lot of time fixing pcs etc and i wanna go with the new technology and by doing so i learn more and more bout it-it's the future,seem to remember this type of discussion before wen xp came out-new fangled rubbish lol
companies will pay for it like they upgraded in the past-we move on.:D

les_taxi
19th July 2009, 14:05
intersting.
http://windows7full.com/blog/?p=411

somebody
19th July 2009, 16:23
intersting.
http://windows7full.com/blog/?p=411

I know plenty of Large and small firms which might be testing windows 7 in 2010 but i doubt few will implment and roll out windows 7. So 49 percent might have a number of licenses but many of the users will not be using i bet.

Rolls out take two years almost in large international companies.

I think i would take that survey by IDC with a pinch of salt.

somebody
19th July 2009, 17:08
i spend a lot of time fixing pcs etc and i wanna go with the new technology and by doing so i learn more and more bout it-it's the future,seem to remember this type of discussion before wen xp came out-new fangled rubbish lol

That used to be true but most companies are content with what they have and it works. In the IT industry things working ie "up time" is the most important target in most areas even over increases in performance.

Also many people in IT admin will not want to work on a new install.
Management dont wanna rock the book on cost or change not in todays climate.
Support tickets increase due to users not knowing what to do, and that will be after Training costs will have increased.

One thing i keep hearing is oh win 7 boots up far faster than xp, people have their first cuppa of the day during that boot up.

Its cheaper in support and admin costs to upgrade the laptop/desktop and change the image and scripts as needed which is not much and the company supplying the device will provide all the drivers and often work on the image and scripts from my experience. The performance increase in the device every three years ensure most departments in a company are happy.

D0 remeber most companies still use office xp or 2003 with Windows XP and of all the companies I have visited all people moan is the computer is old or slow..

Various bits of the GUI would annoy those in offices who just want what they know and the pc thingy to work.

joebloggs
19th July 2009, 17:12

i use to install dos (3.1) and windows 3.11 on pc's many, many years ago where i use to work, it was a big jump from going from windows 3.11 to windows 95, that jump to me has never happened again..

not from 95 to 98, or to win millennium, win2k, xp, vista or i doubt win 7..
so for most people there is no reason to buy it.. and how many companies who buy new pc's will put xp back on them ??

i can tell you from where i work now, we refurbish 100's of portables a week, and they all have xp on :rolleyes:

but then i've never been one of those type of people, who had to have the latest mobile, pc, processor, o/s or whatever .............

les_taxi
19th July 2009, 17:16
ok ok i think we all have different views,lets leave this discussion for a year or so and see how things are going.

joebloggs
19th July 2009, 17:22
D0 remeber most companies still use office xp or 2003 with Windows XP and of all the companies I have visited all people moan is the computer is old or slow..

just a reason to blame their pc for their Skiving :D

i remember the days of the zx81 laoding from tape, i think everyone thru time moans how long a pc takes to boot up, load a web page or download a file:D, today technology has moved on, but were just transferring a lot more info :doh

and what happened about Linux ? and vista, will win 7 go thee same way ??

long live xp :rolleyes:

somebody
19th July 2009, 17:48
just a reason to blame their pc for their Skiving :D

i remember the days of the zx81 laoding from tape, i think everyone thru time moans how long a pc takes to boot up, load a web page or download a file:D, today technology has moved on, but were just transferring a lot more info :doh

and what happened about Linux ? and vista, will win 7 go thee same way ??

long live xp :rolleyes:

The point about the computer was that they blame the hardware more than the OS. Upgrade their Device and from what I hear they are happy. Change the look of the os and you got problems.
Many companies still use the classic view both for performance and to reduce calls particularly in the past if they were used to w2k or even win 98 to a degree.

Load everything back on the device as previously as long as they can find the on off button on the new device i doubt they will have any problems.

KeithD
20th July 2009, 09:03
XP is fine if you use only a few bits of software, but I got blue screens every other day with all the stuff I have to run. Don't get any on Vista as the error control is much better.

les_taxi
20th July 2009, 12:55
and windows 7 better than both:)

KeithD
20th July 2009, 13:56
and windows 7 better than both:)
I haven't ried my 5.5M files on it yet and lots of hardware :)

les_taxi
20th July 2009, 18:13
I haven't ried my 5.5M files on it yet and lots of hardware :)

well you will like it when you do:D

somebody
20th July 2009, 22:08
XP is fine if you use only a few bits of software, but I got blue screens every other day with all the stuff I have to run. Don't get any on Vista as the error control is much better.

Exactly most people use very few software applications in routine work and any tailor made software should be tested and optimized for the setup.
Most XP drivers, AV and VPN's if a laptop are so well known to the admins and tested in the enviroment they rarely cause many issues. But they keep a steady rate of work which is easy to solve (ideal keeps you being needed but no worries if your an admin)

Office, adobe acrobat, internet explorer and lotus notes or Outlook and thats your lot for a huge number of users.

Power users might use might more but many will use virtual machines to run those devices or apples, for example adobe creative products. Often these users have better speced devices have better overall pc user skills which helps a great deal:rolleyes:
Even many of the applications which used to make pc's fall over ie the specialized taliored company database etc such as our oracle system at work is virtual and many of the other apps are web based so only partly running on the device sitting in front of the users.

So yeah people using loads of applications using here and there I agree you might want a better platform, but for many its simply overkill.

To make most companies upgrade Microsoft would need to cut dead all updates being issued and provide the upgrade of Windows 7 as cheap as chips. Then having seen many systems and networks on me travels they are still using ie 6 and some are just installing sp2 let alone sp3:D By they way many of these are ones where your infomation maybe processed ie Public sector organsations:NoNo:

les_taxi
20th July 2009, 22:31
Exactly most people use very few software applications in routine work and any tailor made software should be tested and optimized for the setup.
Most XP drivers, AV and VPN's if a laptop are so well known to the admins and tested in the enviroment they rarely cause many issues. But they keep a steady rate of work which is easy to solve (ideal keeps you being needed but no worries if your an admin)

Office, adobe acrobat, internet explorer and lotus notes or Outlook and thats your lot for a huge number of users.

Power users might use might more but many will use virtual machines to run those devices or apples, for example adobe creative products. Often these users have better speced devices have better overall pc user skills which helps a great deal:rolleyes:
Even many of the applications which used to make pc's fall over ie the specialized taliored company database etc such as our oracle system at work is virtual and many of the other apps are web based so only partly running on the device sitting in front of the users.

So yeah people using loads of applications using here and there I agree you might want a better platform, but for many its simply overkill.

To make most companies upgrade Microsoft would need to cut dead all updates being issued and provide the upgrade of Windows 7 as cheap as chips. Then having seen many systems and networks on me travels they are still using ie 6 and some are just installing sp2 let alone sp3:D By they way many of these are ones where your infomation maybe processed ie Public sector organsations:NoNo:

don't think we going to agree on this one. xp has been great but we will move on its inevitable.this is the best o/s so far and is the succesor to xp.of cause it wont happen overnight and will be years before its as popular as xp but i believe it will.if i were to agree with your view it's like admitting in 20 years time we will still be using xp-we wont and thats a fact.i have been using w7 for months and its just got better and better and i loved xp before but this is better.:)

somebody
20th July 2009, 23:00
don't think we going to agree on this one. xp has been great but we will move on its inevitable.this is the best o/s so far and is the succesor to xp.of cause it wont happen overnight and will be years before its as popular as xp but i believe it will.if i were to agree with your view it's like admitting in 20 years time we will still be using xp-we wont and thats a fact.i have been using w7 for months and its just got better and better and i loved xp before but this is better.:)

In 20 years we wont be using windows 7 either:D

As mentioned I very much doubt if the OS we all know at the moment will be around for that much longer so to get five years out of Windows 7 to make it cost effective. Which lets say a company takes 18 months from today to fully roll out takes us to 2016

But like Joe says it would take something massive to change most companies at the moment. Windows 95 massive leap and xp a massive leap. Both XP took years to supersed nt and win 98.

Microsoft would be better off at the moment and it seems its working to encourage the keen pc user to use and sing the praises of and load on to less I.T intrested/skilled peoples pc's.
Then slowly people will if its real good at what they need be mentioning to IT departments.

Happened with both the blackberry and Iphone in many companies where people particulalry in postions of power requested even demanded them:D

bornatbirth
20th July 2009, 23:04
im still on windows 98,what you lot talking about? :Erm:

somebody
20th July 2009, 23:06
im still on windows 98,what you lot talking about? :Erm:

It does have a big user guide do you need any help with the big words:Erm::D:Rasp:

les_taxi
20th July 2009, 23:20
i wish i had never started the thread lol.I was just trying to save people money!
anyway i'm not carrying on in this discussion i may be wrong i may be right,lets wait and see.

joebloggs
20th July 2009, 23:31
all those who are still using xp who thought :censored: vista, i'll stick with xp, not worth the hassle and money, many will be thinking the same now about windows 7, better it maybe but until i need to use , i'll not be :D

joebloggs
20th July 2009, 23:33
i wish i had never started the thread lol.I was just trying to save people money!
anyway i'm not carrying on in this discussion i may be wrong i may be right,lets wait and see.

:icon_lol:

its a discussion :doh, you have your point of view, and i have mine,plus i just say things to get any to reply :D

nparvus1202
21st July 2009, 09:20
I've been an internet fan but this is the first time I saw Windows 7. Well last night really after visiting this thread. Looks like a mac brother. The only problem is not many programs are win 7 compatible. Software companies are now probably struggling to rewrite all their products. Unless there is a downloadable script that will read xp and vista programs by new win 7.

KeithD
21st July 2009, 09:27
Most companies I know never upgarded to Vista because of the major problems they suffered when updating to XP. :NoNo:

Some companies have to spend £Millions testing a single patch before installing it across the network of systems. Upgrading a totally new OS can take years of testing.

Strange thing was that software I'd written didn't work from ME to XP, and yet that ME software now works on Vista!

les_taxi
21st July 2009, 12:10
I've been an internet fan but this is the first time I saw Windows 7. Well last night really after visiting this thread. Looks like a mac brother. The only problem is not many programs are win 7 compatible. Software companies are now probably struggling to rewrite all their products. Unless there is a downloadable script that will read xp and vista programs by new win 7.

lots of prgrams are w7 compatible-im using them! :Brick:
how many people critisizing windows 7 have actually spent months using it?
i have so i know what i'm talking about on a personal use-not buisness use.
of course it will take ages to have this on many millions of pcs thats how things are.i'm saying people i have spoke to and have actually used it like it and think its a good o/s.also for the pre-order price of less than £50 its a bargain.

nparvus1202
21st July 2009, 13:25
Well if there are a lot of programs that are already compatible, then only one thing is certain, codes must be the same as xp or vista with new interface added. And if that is correct then xp and vista users might delay the upgrade. The download for win7 RC are still ongoing anyway, I will have time to test it. Install it in the other partition. Lets see.

somebody
5th August 2009, 12:26
of course it will take ages to have this on many millions of pcs thats how things are.i'm saying people i have spoke to and have actually used it like it and think its a good o/s.also for the pre-order price of less than £50 its a bargain.

Im not Critisizing W 7 but just dont see the take up being as fast as MS say and with MS now deciding not to have a ie less version for europe it may all change price wise in the upward direction at first.

But i belive within a year (when most people will bother looking at once afters have tested) due to competion (google and apple are about to be battered in the US and the EU will soon follow no doubt as big fines can be imposed:D ) that we will have very very cheap os avaiable which will be enough for the majority of occasional users.

I can say from our testing yes it does seem to run far better than Vista and often XP, it also improves performance on low spec devices but that being a plus point depends on the cost of a unit to the company (lease or purchased) compared to the cost of an entire os,drivers and applications.

If you are buying a pc then make sure you get a free upgrade to windows seven included if at all possible or wait if the choice is Vista.

But if your pc running ok and what not, dont rush out unless you can spare the cash would be my advice.

kenny
6th August 2009, 16:19
If you pre-order windows 7 professional from P.C world it is 99.99.
if you buy it in October when is released it will cost 220 english pounds.
:xxgrinning--00xx3:

JimOttley
14th August 2009, 15:49

I have to agree, just installed my copy of the final RTM build (build 7600) on my main development PC (I'm an MSDN subscriber) and I moved to the 64 bit version this time so I was just asking for trouble in the compatibility stakes but I have been very pleasantly surprised.

The new version is fast, looks good, sems pretty stable and lets me load a ridiculous number of simultaneous instances of Visual Studio without getting any slower, so they have defintely improved the memory management this time round.

All in all I really like it, definately the best version of Windows to date.

I do understand what others are saying though, the cost of a rollout of a new desktop OS is a horendous expense for most businesses. However I do think that any business that was about to implement a Vista rollout should skip it and opt for Windows 7 instead, it's unlikely that there will be that many differences in terms of hardware compatibility between Vista and Windows 7.

The move to 64 bit is a much bigger step though but I think Windows 7 will finally get the 64 bit ball rolling the built in XP virtulization "Windows XP mode".

Jim

les_taxi
16th October 2009, 12:57
just had it confirmed my 4 copies on the way! now to make a killing :)

somebody
16th October 2009, 19:47
I think it was on ZDnet i saw an article recently ( a few hours back possibly) and I have heard of other companies doing testing where they are testing snow lepoard agaisnt W7 and both have their strong/weak points. Will be intresting if Apple let the next release after Snow lepoard really go up agaisnt the current windows.

We may have three mainstream OS's in a few years which will be intresting..

les_taxi
16th October 2009, 21:22
the general feeling is that windows 7 is a winner,supercharged vista with all the bad bits gone.take my word this will be the main o/s for years now.just look around forums businesses are taking it seriously,If you have tried it then you will see how stable it is.

somebody
16th October 2009, 21:28
the general feeling is that windows 7 is a winner,supercharged vista with all the bad bits gone.take my word this will be the main o/s for years now.just look around forums businesses are taking it seriously,If you have tried it then you will see how stable it is.

Still trying to sell your copies:icon_lol:

Im pretty sure soon it will be the last OS you will need to Buy unless you want the premimun version of your prefered OS.

les_taxi
16th October 2009, 21:38
[QUOTE=somebody;183007]Still trying to sell your copies:icon_lol:

i already got one person wanting a copy for £60, higher,higher shouts the crowd:)watching how much they go for on ebay.

just checked up to £57 on ebay with a day to go :)

somebody
16th October 2009, 21:49
[QUOTE=somebody;183007]Still trying to sell your copies:icon_lol:

i already got one person wanting a copy for £60, higher,higher shouts the crowd:)watching how much they go for on ebay.

just checked up to £57 on ebay with a day to go :)

I hope the Microsoft Police dont catch you :D

les_taxi
16th October 2009, 21:53
[QUOTE=lestaxi1;183008]

I hope the Microsoft Police dont catch you :D

nothing they can do,legally bought copies i can sell for whatever i wish.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
16th October 2009, 21:57
[QUOTE=somebody;183010]

nothing they can do,legally bought copies i can sell for whatever i wish.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

i remember where i use to work many years ago, we bought office and windows from the usa to sell in the uk, we got raided by Microsoft and cops for breaking some license agreement.. :action-smiley-081:

:NoNo:

anyway what can win 7 do that xp can't ? what's your killer app :rolleyes

somebody
16th October 2009, 22:02
[QUOTE=somebody;183010]

But steve ballmer wont be your friend anymore after all your free advertising:D

somebody
16th October 2009, 22:05
[QUOTE=lestaxi1;183011]

i remember where i use to work many years ago, we bought office and windows from the usa to sell in the uk, we got raided by Microsoft and cops for breaking some license agreement.. :action-smiley-081:

Its the liscense that you never truely own normally, but you own the box well thats the way software people look at it after losing out on reselling unused physcial items.

If you do open and tick the EULA many say you dont own the software, look at the apple Iphone cant remeber the wording but you technically dont own the software on it and Apple can do as they please with it.

les_taxi
16th October 2009, 22:12
[QUOTE=lestaxi1;183011]

buying from us to sell in uk is completly different,thats like buying duty free.
thats a bit like saying whats the diffrernce between a morris minor and a porsche! both are cars are they not?it's not simply down to a killer app it's various things,try googling this if you not sure of the difference, many intersting articles.at the end of the day we move on xp has been brill for years i loved it but now there is something better and we all move on.
http://windows7news.com/

somebody
16th October 2009, 22:18
[QUOTE=joebloggs;183016]

buying from us to sell in uk is completly different,thats like buying duty free.
thats a bit like saying whats the diffrernce between a morris minor and a porsche! both are cars are they not?it's not simply down to a killer app it's various things,try googling this if you not sure of the difference, many intersting articles.at the end of the day we move on xp has been brill for years i loved it but now there is something better and we all move on.
http://windows7news.com/

Les we all have copies of Win 7 and we dont need to buy a Copy of you:Rasp:

Its Wonderful a good OS just like snow lepoard is in fact so many good OS about at the moment its hard to find a poor one even Vistas not bad now

joebloggs
16th October 2009, 22:22
[QUOTE=lestaxi1;183027]

Its Wonderful a good OS just like snow lepoard is in fact so many good OS about at the moment its hard to find a poor one even Vistas not bad now

i'll get mine from the nice former eastern bloc guys who sell the latest dvd's in the arndale and it will be cheaper than what les paid :rolleyes:

:D

joebloggs
16th October 2009, 22:23
what you doing with the quotes andy, your puttimg words in my mouth i never said :doh

somebody
16th October 2009, 22:23
[QUOTE=somebody;183029]

i'll get mine from the nice former eastern bloc guys who sell the latest dvd's in the arndale and it will be cheaper than what les paid :rolleyes:

I would have thought your lovely Kind bosses would have paid for your MSDN account:D

KeithD
16th October 2009, 23:04
If you have tried it then you will see how stable it is.
Vista is stable :Erm:

All W7 is is Vista with a few front end bits changed, they haven't rewritten the core engine.

One problem many users will not be aware of is two things:
You can't upgrade from XP as you would think, you have to as good as install a fresh W7 and reinstall all your software.
Most of the programs you may use in all versions of windows are not now installed to conform with worldwide monopoly rulings, so you have to download them from MS, but as the EU version has no IE installed!!! :Erm:

I don't remember Apple being forced to take out software from its OS! :NoNo:

somebody
17th October 2009, 00:14

All W7 is is Vista with a few front end bits changed, they haven't rewritten the core engine.

You can't upgrade from XP as you would think, you have to as good as install a fresh W7 and reinstall all your software.
Most of the programs you may use in all versions of windows are not now installed to conform with worldwide monopoly rulings, so you have to download them from MS, but as the EU version has no IE installed!!! :Erm:

You get the daft menu selection of browser ballot in the EU version i understand.

There is third party software which is supose to let you transfer over your apps but who knows

true all this monoply business which oprea brought about so i guess others in different fields could complain about apple but it is tiny compared to ms

but apple n google soon bump into the eu if fines can be levied:rolleyes:

les_taxi
17th October 2009, 01:02
[QUOTE=somebody;183029][QUOTE=lestaxi1;183027]

i never offered to sell you a copy:action-smiley-081:
the reason i started this whole thread months ago was so those who wanted to could get themselves a cheap copy £44.95 of windows 7 could do.i was trying to help you all save money.
i ordered a few extra copies as i knew most people would not order something months away.the idea was to end up having a free genuine copy and a few quid left over by selling them on.i noticed thats what plenty have done on e-bay.
now i think half of you lot are wind up merchants and yes you have got me going many times:doh

KeithD
17th October 2009, 02:31
now i think half of you lot are wind up merchants and yes you have got me going many times:doh
Do the ones you're selling include free instalation ....and making me a coffee while you're at it? :D ....and maybe throw in a foot massage :rolleyes:

joebloggs
17th October 2009, 05:42
[QUOTE=somebody;183029][QUOTE=lestaxi1;183027]

the reason i started this whole thread months ago was so those who wanted to could get themselves a cheap copy £44.95 of windows 7 could do.i was trying to help you all save money.

i ordered a few extra copies as i knew most people would not order something months away.the idea was to end up having a free genuine copy and a few quid left over by selling them on.i noticed thats what plenty have done on e-bay.

a few extra copies, like how many 100's :D

we wouldn't wind you up :NoNo:

is it as stable as dos 3.11 :Erm:

Do the ones you're selling include free instalation ....and making me a coffee while you're at it? :D ....and maybe throw in a foot massage :rolleyes:

and if your lucky not just a foot massage

JimOttley
17th October 2009, 07:54

Windows 7 E has been dropped and as SB says it's a ballot screen now and IE 8 will be included in the install but can be completely disabled if you choose another browser.

The lack of a proper upgrade is going to be a disaster, people were upset at UAC on Vista, what's it going to be like when they press a button that says upgrade which then proceeds to wipe their PC :doh how many people will have backups of all their personal files, photos, etc.

We are supposed to have an RTM already and as Job Honeyball at PC Pro pointed out, now no one knows what will actually be in the box!

I just hope they don't ruin a great OS by a clumsy installation procedure that fails to make it clear to people what is actually going to happen to their PC.

Jim

les_taxi
17th October 2009, 09:12
The lack of a proper upgrade is going to be a disaster, people were upset at UAC on Vista, what's it going to be like when they press a button that says upgrade which then proceeds to wipe their PC :doh how many people will have backups of all their personal files, photos, etc.

pc world are offering people who can't back up their own files or instal a o/s a service to do exactly that.windows 7 is now coming with ie8 as default and a choice of other browsers-you select which 1 you want (that sounds difficult)lol
a fresh install is always the best way, many of the public will have bits of crap on their pc.most people i know can make simple backups of their photos and docs to cd or flash disk.
if they cannot do that then they should get someone to show them as in the event of hd failure (it happened to me recently) your gonna loose em.
formatting a pc is a piece of p.... installing your apps takes a while but once its done its done.
most people know a friendly pc guy who will help them out:)
i do it all the time especially for xp users with their virus ridden pcs and bsod.
something not happened once on w7:D

JimOttley
17th October 2009, 10:16

pc world are offering people who can't back up their own files or instal a o/s a service to do exactly that.windows 7 is now coming with ie8 as default and a choice of other browsers-you select which 1 you want (that sounds difficult)lol
a fresh install is always the best way, many of the public will have bits of crap on their pc.most people i know can make simple backups of their photos and docs to cd or flash disk.
if they cannot do that then they should get someone to show them as in the event of hd failure (it happened to me recently) your gonna loose em.
formatting a pc is a piece of p.... installing your apps takes a while but once its done its done.
most people know a friendly pc guy who will help them out:)
i do it all the time especially for xp users with their virus ridden pcs and bsod.
something not happened once on w7:D

Lots of people will see the word "Upgrade" and will have clicked proceed without even knowing that this is not the same as upgrades of old.

After 20 odd years I'm sick of being the friendly PC guy, I'm now the unfriendly PC guy :) anyone who wants help with their computer can pay my professional bespoke programming rates these days :icon_lol:

Jim

somebody
17th October 2009, 11:22
Lots of people will see the word "Upgrade" and will have clicked proceed without even knowing that this is not the same as upgrades of old.

After 20 odd years I'm sick of being the friendly PC guy, I'm now the unfriendly PC guy :) anyone who wants help with their computer can pay my professional bespoke programming rates these days :icon_lol:

Jim

Word its amazing how many of my Wifes friends in particular will ring or text and im supose to dash round or call them up and sort out some issue:doh

But I have to be honest I see to many people conned by computer repair shops to stop helping:NoNo:

I think as always best to do a clean install you should have the orginal disks or download of the application and instead of trying to upgrade.

If more people use there My docs and had a regular backup in place for all photos, documents and any other unique files. You could simply wipe and copy over.

With regards the browser as the browser comes more and more important for many users surely many will like many others and myself have several Browsers loaded.

But still find best to run browsers and day to day stuff in a vm, when it looks scruffy or in a badway, wipe and run the orignal clean version:xxgrinning--00xx3:

les_taxi
17th October 2009, 11:32

Jim

tight:action-smiley-081::icon_lol:

somebody
17th October 2009, 11:45

Trust me he's sensible, i see Jims point of view.

If you help out a friend as a favour they seem to think they can have unlimited support, you have to save files which have never been backed up and looked after which in a professional capacity you would say most likely unless they offered you huge amounts of wonga tough you didn't follow any basic pc housekeeping procedures. NO back up, updating files, using a file wall and/or NAT server, didn't use AV and AS if you did never updated and ran or used one not suited to the job in hand:rolleyes: Took risks with chersihed data even though you had been advised and instructed how to look after correctly in the best way. Download random software from unknown sources, use p2p on a device you do your internet banking and email on:NoNo:

:doh Yet then expect someone to flick a switch and make it all new again.

Like Jim says the service somepeople expect as a favour they forget how much time it takes. Yet a lot of the time they would have never had the problem in the first place if they had engaged Brain:doh

Its why I sorted out the PC's in phill I was fed up of the time and engery all because some stupid wallpaper or game was downloaded by her bro or lill cousins and it affected the Wife communicating with her family back there that I made sure it was made possible to reload a Ghost image if it all went pete tong. Plus they could do it not me:D

JimOttley
17th October 2009, 11:51

:icon_lol: :D

Jim

JimOttley
17th October 2009, 11:59
Word its amazing how many of my Wifes friends in particular will ring or text and im supose to dash round or call them up and sort out some issue:doh

But I have to be honest I see to many people conned by computer repair shops to stop helping:NoNo:

I think as always best to do a clean install you should have the orginal disks or download of the application and instead of trying to upgrade.

If more people use there My docs and had a regular backup in place for all photos, documents and any other unique files. You could simply wipe and copy over.

With regards the browser as the browser comes more and more important for many users surely many will like many others and myself have several Browsers loaded.

But still find best to run browsers and day to day stuff in a vm, when it looks scruffy or in a badway, wipe and run the orignal clean version:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I agree clean install is best it's just that a great many people don't understand what's required for that kind of exercise.

I'm still using Chrome a lot because of the cookie bug in IE, even though it's not losing cookies quite so often now it's still losing them more often than I would like.

Good point about the vm's I'm leaning that way myself, I'm running VMware Server on my 64 bit laptop and the performance is amazing, I've got a 2008 Server running in a VM that feels like it's on the raw metal.

Jim

JimOttley
17th October 2009, 12:13

Seriously Les, to stay at the front of the technology game at my age is a time consuming process.

Although I am no longer an independent consultant I still have to keep up to date which basically means I have to teach myself every new programming technology from scratch in my own time, at the moment that's WPF and Silverlight and as I am a controls developer I'm not looking at just the surface layer of how to use this stuff.

When I was working for myself I would do 8 hours on site then often another 3 or 4 hours working on personal projects each night often these were basically self education projects, when someone then comes along with a knacked PC with lost data that's going to take at least 4 hours to recover my patience starts to wear a bit thin. :)

When I was working for myself Saturday and Sunday were also working days and even I would get sick of the sight of a PC sometimes :)

I even get depressed when I have to install my own machines now :D

Jim

somebody
17th October 2009, 12:29
Seriously Les, to stay at the front of the technology game at my age is a time consuming process.

Although I am no longer an independent consultant I still have to keep up to date which basically means I have to teach myself every new programming technology from scratch in my own time, at the moment that's WPF and Silverlight and as I am a controls developer I'm not looking at just the surface layer of how to use this stuff.

When I was working for myself I would do 8 hours on site then often another 3 or 4 hours working on personal projects each night often these were basically self education projects, when someone then comes along with a knacked PC with lost data that's going to take at least 4 hours to recover my patience starts to wear a bit thin. :)

When I was working for myself Saturday and Sunday were also working days and even I would get sick of the sight of a PC sometimes :)

Jim

Why many people drop out of IT and in those jobs involving new Technolgy. As it never moves still and is like a running machine stop still and in a few seconds your be flying into the fat bloke on rowing machine behind you:D

Like you Jim evry day im having to understand a new concept, technolgy or learn new skills. While some old ones you learned you think why did i bother as they just dissapear while others you keep having to work on and keep abreast of as the newer staff dont have the experience etc.

While on holiday recently i didn't once ,talk or see anything I.T related and it was heaven:D

Then the day after getting back and a long day of catch up with the emails and whats going on blah blah just as I sit down to chill out the Wifes best mate in the UK rings up witrh a problem on her Apple MAC:doh

les_taxi
17th October 2009, 12:29

Jim

i know the feeling i hate driving myself to asda:icon_lol:

joebloggs
17th October 2009, 13:08
im supose to dash round or call them up and sort out some issue:doh

dash round :doh, i'm still waiting for you to come and upgrade my win95 to win 98 :doh

misses is on her way Andy, so be warned stay clear of Euston road on weds and Thursday :NoNo:

told her not to come back if she does badly :D

joebloggs
17th October 2009, 13:10
Wifes best mate in the UK rings up witrh a problem on her Apple MAC:doh

answer don't do MACs :xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
17th October 2009, 13:51
dash round :doh, i'm still waiting for you to come and upgrade my win95 to win 98 :doh

misses is on her way Andy, so be warned stay clear of Euston road on weds and Thursday :NoNo:

told her not to come back if she does badly :D

I maybe up at one of our offices one or the other day so i will look out for northern pinays in clogg slippers:D

Sorry Joe Still using my Sinclair QL good British PC:xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
17th October 2009, 14:04
I maybe up at one of our offices one or the other day so i will look out for northern pinays in clogg slippers:D

Sorry Joe Still using my Sinclair QL good British PC:xxgrinning--00xx3:

i'm not wasting the cloggs on her, she be in her bare feet ! ,but if you see a filipina with a ruck sack bigger than her on her back, that i'll be me misses :D

:doh damn, i've got 2 kids to look after for 2 days :yikes::cwm24::Help1:

sinclair puters were :censored:, cannot compare them to the commodore ones :D

thou i did have his black watch and portable tv :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.nvg.ntnu.no/sinclair/other/gallery/blackwatch_box.jpg

1976 :yikes:

somebody
17th October 2009, 14:20
i'm not wasting the cloggs on her, she be in her bare feet ! ,but if you see a filipina with a ruck sack bigger than her on her back, that i'll be me misses :D

:doh damn, i've got 2 kids to look after for 2 days :yikes::cwm24::Help1:

sinclair puters were :censored:, cannot compare them to the commodore ones :D

thou i did have his black watch and portable tv :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.nvg.ntnu.no/sinclair/other/gallery/blackwatch_box.jpg

1976 :yikes:

The QL was in a different league, and Sinclair rule, shame you old people didn't buy British and support them as they got better maybe we would have had some industry in this country:Erm::D:Rasp:

joebloggs
17th October 2009, 14:29
The QL was in a different league, and Sinclair rule, shame you old people didn't buy British and support them as they got better maybe we would have had some industry in this country:Erm::D:Rasp:

i did i bought a sinclair zx 81, and then a commodore vic 20 in like 1981, then got a speccy 32k, to me the vic20 was better :D, then a c64 :xxgrinning--00xx3: better than the rest..

as for the ql i was tempted, but i think the amiga was much better :xxgrinning--00xx3:

i've even got a sinclair z80 still :D

commodores were much better, just admit it andy :D

somebody
17th October 2009, 19:50
i did i bought a sinclair zx 81, and then a commodore vic 20 in like 1981, then got a speccy 32k, to me the vic20 was better :D, then a c64 :xxgrinning--00xx3: better than the rest..

as for the ql i was tempted, but i think the amiga was much better :xxgrinning--00xx3:

i've even got a sinclair z80 still :D

commodores were much better, just admit it andy :D

The QL was the PC which Linus Torvalds owned.

Both were good but one was British made and the other was not:NoNo:

Joe now i know it was down to you the British IT industry died:D

joebloggs
17th October 2009, 20:33
Joe now i know it was down to you the British IT industry died:D

i think i was the only one who kept it going thru the dark days of the early 80's when many manufacturers were struggling and went bust, i've still got 100s of games on cassette which I BOUGHT - AND PAID CASH FOR :D, also home computers, magazines from the early 80s, cartridges etc.. I spent a fortune on :bigcry:

thou with the SNES and MEGADRIVE coming along it would end my spending spree with the purchase of the awesome MGH (multi game hunter) :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://home.clara.net/robwebb/backup/venus/pics/mgh.jpg

http://home.clara.net/robwebb/backup/venus/venusmgh.html

i hope who ever invented it, is still living a fantastic lifestyle, it was one :xxgrinning--00xx3:

i suppose i giveth and then i taketh :D

somebody
17th October 2009, 21:02
i think i was the only one who kept it going thru the dark days of the early 80's when many manufacturers were struggling and went bust, i've still got 100s of games on cassette which I BOUGHT - AND PAID CASH FOR :D, also home computers, magazines from the early 80s, cartridges etc.. I spent a fortune on :bigcry:

thou with the SNES and MEGADRIVE coming along it would end my spending spree with the purchase of the awesome MGH (multi game hunter) :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://home.clara.net/robwebb/backup/venus/pics/mgh.jpg

http://home.clara.net/robwebb/backup/venus/venusmgh.html

i hope who ever invented it, is still living a fantastic lifestyle, it was one :xxgrinning--00xx3:

i suppose i giveth and then i taketh :D

LOL hey i bought my 1.99 and sometimes 2.99 games with my pocket money and if i was lucky i buy a full price one:omg: Even from Ocean i belive a manchester software house:omg:

Lordy that MGH looks the business (for its time:D )

joebloggs
17th October 2009, 21:17
LOL hey i bought my 1.99 and sometimes 2.99 games with my pocket money and if i was lucky i buy a full price one:omg: Even from Ocean i belive a manchester software house:omg:

Lordy that MGH looks the business (for its time:D )

yes ocean, they were called something else b4 ocean, what ever happened to them :Erm:

£1.99 and £2.99 must have been by mastertronic - early days the darling brothers worked for them (codemasters) :rolleyes:

mgh, oh it was. i think i threw it out a couple of years ago :doh, it had an adaptor so it could fit on the snes or megadrive, you could copy the cart that was in the top, or even better download games form your fav bbs (b4 the Inet took off) and from your pc copy to fdd and the mgh could read the floppy and you could play them game, first time i saw it it blew my mind :Cuckoo:, that the next day i bought one for £300 :yikes: alot of money then.. :D ...

but i still have profighter one, which has a serial interface on it , so you can connect it to your pc and so it went from copying 1 cart by yourslef to downloading 1 game from a bbs to buying a cd with 650 games on :yikes: which could be transferred from the pc to the copier - a gamers heaven :rolleyes:

oh , you used a sinclair ac adptor on the MGH and the other copiers becuase they could handle a lot of amps - so one use for the adaptor but not the puter

i should be on mastermind video gaming industry in the 80's :xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
17th October 2009, 21:24
yes ocean, they were called something else b4 ocean, what ever happened to them :Erm:

£1.99 and £2.99 must have been by mastertronic - early days the darling brothers worked for them (codemasters) :rolleyes:

mgh, oh it was. i think i threw it out a couple of years ago :doh, it had an adaptor so it could fit on the snes or megadrive, you could copy the cart that was in the top, or even better download games form your fav bbs (b4 the Inet took off) and from your pc copy to fdd and the mgh could read the floppy and you could play them game, first time i saw it it blew my mind :Cuckoo:, that the next day i bought one for £300 :yikes: alot of money then.. :D ...

but i still have profighter one, which has a serial interface on it , so you can connect it to your pc and so it went from copying 1 cart by yourslef to downloading 1 game from a bbs to buying a cd with 650 games on :yikes: which could be transferred from the pc to the copier - a gamers heaven :rolleyes:

oh , you used a sinclair ac adptor on the MGH and the other copiers becuase they could handle a lot of amps - so one use for the adaptor but not the puter

i should be on mastermind video gaming industry in the 80's :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Codemasters i remeber the BMX simulator game:xxgrinning--00xx3:

There were loads of games at the cheap prices back then going down to the WH smiths.

Ocean were always ocean but changed name it appears

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_Software

bornatbirth
17th October 2009, 21:45
you 2 are bringing back my teenage memories... i had a zx spectrum and did indeed buy a full price game every now and then,aswell as the cheaper games but would swap and share games with my friends.

i think i have had every games console and still have a super nintendo and N64 with the classic golden eye and its poorer follow up perfect dark,i also have the expansion for better graphics :D

sadly even with multi platform gamed having to buy a different console for that console only game is a little annoying.

whats more sad since my wife arrived my game playing days are over,well very limited :bigcry:

joebloggs
17th October 2009, 21:52
you missed a bit Andy, they were called ' Spectrum Software' b4 ocean, i remember their ads :D

look under the ocean logo, where it says Predecessor Spectrum Software

the name spectrum keeps appearing again and again :icon_lol:

somebody
17th October 2009, 21:54
you 2 are bringing back my teenage memories... i had a zx spectrum and did indeed buy a full price game every now and then,aswell as the cheaper games but would swap and share games with my friends.

i think i have had every games console and still have a super nintendo and N64 with the classic golden eye and its poorer follow up perfect dark,i also have the expansion for better graphics :D

sadly even with multi platform gamed having to buy a different console for that console only game is a little annoying.

whats more sad since my wife arrived my game playing days are over,well very limited :bigcry:

Growning up its so painful:icon_lol:

You should be able to get emulators for the snes for the new Nokia n900 coming out soon then you can play it as you hide from the dried fish smells

somebody
17th October 2009, 21:55
you missed a bit Andy, they were called ' Spectrum Software' b4 ocean, i remember their ads :D

look under the ocean logo, where it says Predecessor Spectrum Software

the name spectrum keeps appearing again and again :icon_lol:

Oh yeah i remeber daley thompsons game the joystck destroyer:omg:

bornatbirth
17th October 2009, 22:14

and the buttons wearing out after being bashed so much.

i also remember my mother beating me at digger dan,she told me a whlie ago that she use to practice while i was at school :icon_lol:

joebloggs
17th October 2009, 22:18

yes you needed the legendary KEMPSTON COMPETITION PRO JOYSTICK for that, i've still got one :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.kickoffworld.net/wiki/images/2/2e/Competition_pro_5000.jpg

somebody
17th October 2009, 22:23
yes you needed the legendary KEMPSTON COMPETITION PRO JOYSTICK for that, i've still got one :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I had a kempston with auto fire trying to remeber the name now

somebody
17th October 2009, 22:24
and the buttons wearing out after being bashed so much.

i also remember my mother beating me at digger dan,she told me a whlie ago that she use to practice while i was at school :icon_lol:

bornatbirth
17th October 2009, 22:29

i think i must of been through stacks of joysticks in my time,only now they vibrate :D

joebloggs
17th October 2009, 22:29

i use to play super bomberman on the snes with my sisters kid, he beat me 100s of times, and like in the simpsons when homer beat bart once, he would never play it again :icon_lol:

but did your mom ever beat you, that would have been embarrassing :icon_lol:, my mom once played a game on the vic 20 :yikes: which still :yikes: me now :icon_lol:

bornatbirth
17th October 2009, 22:40
my dad and mum and me,would play digger dan after school and my mum would get the highest score most times....in which she would find so funny...of course i never let it bother me :rolleyes:

joebloggs
17th October 2009, 22:59
.of course i never let it bother me :rolleyes:

have you seen a shrink about it :D, i bet you still play it every day now, beaten by your mom :doh

those were the good days of video games :rolleyes:, can't see your mom wanting to play resident evils 5 or some other violent games now :doh

bornatbirth
17th October 2009, 23:07
those were the good days of video games :rolleyes:, can't see your mom wanting to play resident evils 5 or some other violent games now :doh

true,games back then were so simple just up/down and left/right with 2 fire buttons..now you need to put so much time into a game!

joebloggs
17th October 2009, 23:17
true,games back then were so simple just up/down and left/right with 2 fire buttons..now you need to put so much time into a game!

one day(when my misses gets a full time job) i'm gonna built my own mame arcade machine, play all the classics :xxgrinning--00xx3:

like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzwHWPM21J8 :xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
24th October 2009, 18:33
one day(when my misses gets a full time job) i'm gonna built my own mame arcade machine, play all the classics :xxgrinning--00xx3:

like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzwHWPM21J8 :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thats a beast:D you sure Manchester has enough power to supply that:Erm::D

joebloggs
24th October 2009, 18:57
Thats a beast:D you sure Manchester has enough power to supply that:Erm::D

what ya mean Manchester ?, we've got a cable connected to a street light in liverpud that goes all the way down the east lancs giving us free lecko :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I've got emulators that run on the pc that can play most of them, but its not the same, need a cabinet :rolleyes:

somebody
24th October 2009, 19:03
what ya mean Manchester ?, we've got a cable connected to a street light in liverpud that goes all the way down the east lancs giving us free lecko :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I've got emulators that run on the pc that can play most of them, but its not the same, need a cabinet :rolleyes:

Indeed take you back to the old days.

Was never much in to computer games but remeber thins like After burner which just seemed amazing at the time:D

You mean Liverpool has Electricty whatever next Manchester has days with no rain:Erm:

joebloggs
24th October 2009, 19:18
Indeed take you back to the old days.

Was never much in to computer games but remeber thins like After burner which just seemed amazing at the time:D

You mean Liverpool has Electricty whatever next Manchester has days with no rain:Erm:

we sell the lecko to the scousers and nick it back :D

games that will never fade, phoenix, galaga, pacman, amidar, galaxians, frogger etc :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.tripletsandus.com/80s/80s_games/galaga2.htm
http://www.tripletsandus.com/80s/80s_games/arcade.htm

korki
25th October 2009, 17:00
I have seen it personally, i think it's cool the W7 has the browser windows like that because it make it like more "techy" if you know what i mean(or not)

but right now i would not recommend having one since it is still new and has alot bugs from what i have heard

les_taxi
25th October 2009, 18:52
I have seen it personally, i think it's cool the W7 has the browser windows like that because it make it like more "techy" if you know what i mean(or not)

but right now i would not recommend having one since it is still new and has alot bugs from what i have heard

you heard wrong:xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
25th October 2009, 19:48
you heard wrong:xxgrinning--00xx3:

cough http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/scrt/4390B51CB50DF398CC2576570076F3ED:omg:

les_taxi
25th October 2009, 20:03
cough http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/scrt/4390B51CB50DF398CC2576570076F3ED:omg:

Windows XP was affected by the most vulnerabilities of all: 24 out of 34, or 71 percent of the total. Of the two-dozen bugs that needed patching in Windows XP, 18 were tagged as critical, or 86 percent of the total critical count.

The tallies indicated that, at least this month, Windows 7 was afflicted with about half as many vulnerabilities as was Vista, and about a third as many as was Windows XP. Its critical bug count followed the same pattern.

all o/s need updating especially new 1s,the discs sent out are already "old" since the final w7 code was finished ages ago.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
25th October 2009, 20:27
Windows XP was affected by the most vulnerabilities of all: 24 out of 34, or 71 percent of the total. Of the two-dozen bugs that needed patching in Windows XP, 18 were tagged as critical, or 86 percent of the total critical count.

The tallies indicated that, at least this month, Windows 7 was afflicted with about half as many vulnerabilities as was Vista, and about a third as many as was Windows XP. Its critical bug count followed the same pattern.

all o/s need updating especially new 1s,the discs sent out are already "old" since the final w7 code was finished ages ago.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Indeed we need to wait and see what holes the white and black hats find.

Strangely they seem to wait until general release to mention them i guess for the geek fame:Erm:

Asking the departments testing Win 7 both for internal use and external use ie support for our customers there are a few bugs and BSOD have been seen with some set ups and combos. But as we know an improvment on previous versions.

One area I notice causing alsorts of issues is the xp mode which has had mixed reviews so can see that needing tweaking.

Another issue was our tech support are reporting IT departments at our customers are having some issues with video drivers on some older machines but I think MS tried to push the it will work on nearly any device to far:D

I know one well known organsation funnily enough based near to the Phill embassy in London is upgrading to Win 7 as they foolishly updated to Vista and donated all their XP keys to a new department:doh

Be intresting how they get on. Business users are very different beasts to home users due to their well its not me who has to sort out the device:D

Ann07
2nd November 2009, 22:15
:D my loving husband bought me a new laptop...its window 7 and i find it so easy and so nice:xxgrinning--00xx3::D:D

les_taxi
2nd November 2009, 23:21
:D my loving husband bought me a new laptop...its window 7 and i find it so easy and so nice:xxgrinning--00xx3::D:D

:xxgrinning--00xx3:glad to hear it.i sold all my copies in a few days and so mine cost me nothing:D It's a very good o/s better than xp and vista.

KeithD
3rd November 2009, 10:03
I don't actually notice that much difference between Vista & 7, same engine running it, just a few odd changes to the interface and memory management. Only really useful for those with a lower spec machine that wouldn't run Vista.