PDA

View Full Version : Careful in what you download using bittorrent

lost_bulak
13th July 2009, 23:05
I don't know if any of you heard from some people who have received a threatening letter from a law firm in London about file sharing. According to the news they have sent about 25,000 letters and asking to pay money starting from £500 - £750 for downloading a game/music/video.

Just be careful or better yet don't do anymore downloads.

KeithD
14th July 2009, 09:31
You don't get done for downloading, the industry goes for the uploaders.

Anyway, you should be using Newsgroups :rolleyes:

I only download things to test them, if any good I either put up a review somewhere to sell it myself, and if I'm going to use it full-time I buy it.

MarBell379
14th July 2009, 09:48
and any threatening letter asking for money is IMMEDIATELY suspicious.
Kosher legal firms tend to sue people rather than blackmail them.

somebody
14th July 2009, 12:29
Some maties had letters like this from a Kosher law firm (all checked out at the time cant rember the details but could ask if needed) they ignored.

LadyJ
14th July 2009, 12:37
what about personal/private use of downloaded movies about 1-3 movies a month? Is't bad?

MarBell379
14th July 2009, 12:40
what about personal/private use of downloaded movies about 1-3 movies a month? Is't bad?

if its downloaded from bit torrents its still illegal. If its downloaded (and normally paid for) from regular sites its normally legal.
Its all about copyright protection and royalties.

LadyJ
14th July 2009, 12:45
if its downloaded from bit torrents its still illegal. If its downloaded (and normally paid for) from regular sites its normally legal.
Its all about copyright protection and royalties.

OK thanks! will have to remind my husband.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

trader dave
14th July 2009, 16:45
i file share 24/7 only ever had 1 letter from my isp :doh

LadyJ
14th July 2009, 18:47
i file share 24/7 only ever had 1 letter from my isp :doh

what did they said?:Erm:

somebody
14th July 2009, 19:01

Technically yep, if they had the evidence you had downloaded one film they could prosecute.

But as Mr admin po leader of the flip uk web world says they really want to go after the people who make it avaiable. So if you allow people to upload films and of course if you a heavy user both downloading and uploading.

joebloggs
14th July 2009, 19:07
my friend many years ago got an email from warner bros saying he had been downloading some film at a certain time and date, told him not to do it again.. but he just ignored it, and he use to download gigs a day and never got another letter :rolleyes:, yes newgroups is safer than torrents :rolleyes:

only thing ever happen to me, is them :censored: at tiscali capped my bandwidth, i just changed ISP :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
14th July 2009, 19:09
Technically yep, if they had the evidence you had downloaded one film they could prosecute.

But as Mr admin po leader of the flip uk web world says they really want to go after the people who make it avaiable. So if you allow people to upload films and of course if you a heavy user both downloading and uploading.

i think if the film has been broadcast on tv, its fair game, is it illegal to record it on your dvd recorder or sky box, if so then what are they meant to record then ??

somebody
14th July 2009, 19:17
i think if the film has been broadcast on tv, its fair game, is it illegal to record it on your dvd recorder or sky box, if so then what are they meant to record then ??

I think you can keep for a set amount of time keep videos "legally". But many have videos recorded years ago im sure:D

Even at sports events its not allowed to take pictures or videos. But rarely would a steward actually do anything.

We all know many do it and unlikely to get any problems, but on a forum where many people dont know what actually is legal/ilegal as new residents in the UK we should warn just so they are aware.

I.e just as us brits may be not aware of all phill rules n regs

But im sure Lady J and her family can make a decision best for them

lost_bulak
15th July 2009, 09:05

A friend of mine got a letter from this firm (ACS:Law, they said it used to be Davenport Solicitors) accused her of alleged file sharing. So now they are asking her to pay for amount of money (as a settlement) for the damage it had caused to the file she downloaded/uploaded. The said file was a Scooter album and it was downloaded/uploaded back in 2008 and she had received the letter a week ago. If she won't pay the money in 21 days they would take her to court. I think it's a harrasment, the only evidence they got is an ISP. What if she hasn't got a secured network or if she has what if someone hacked it?

Apparently, this one doesn't care whether you do upload or download.

KeithD
15th July 2009, 09:24
I think it's a harrasment, the only evidence they got is an ISP. What if she hasn't got a secured network or if she has what if someone hacked it?
The ISP will not share it's information unless told to do so by a judge.

The companies sending these letters need to send proof beyond reasonable doubt, and then have a solicitor look at it.

LadyJ
15th July 2009, 09:29
The ISP will not share it's information unless told to do so by a judge.

The companies sending these letters need to send proof beyond reasonable doubt, and then have a solicitor look at it.

I agree:xxgrinning--00xx3: It might be just a fake letter from someone who's trying to make money.

Arthur Little
15th July 2009, 12:56
I don't know if any of you heard from some people who have received a threatening letter from a law firm in London about file sharing. According to the news they have sent about 25,000 letters and asking to pay money starting from £500 - £750 for downloading a game/music/video.

Just be careful or better yet don't do anymore downloads.

Being a self-confessed Luddite, I shouldn't imagine this will apply to ME, since virtually the only time I use OUR computer is to pursue my "addiction" to the filipino/uk forum [as my "long-suffering" :23_111_9[1]: wife will surely testify!] :Erm: oh ... no ... wait a minute ... SHE utilises it first thing each morning to keep in touch with her relatives and friends in the Phils, so that they, in turn, can receive her messages during what is late afternoon/early evening there and reply by text on their mobile phones when work is over for the day.

somebody
15th July 2009, 19:13
A friend of mine got a letter from this firm (ACS:Law, they said it used to be Davenport Solicitors) accused her of alleged file sharing. So now they are asking her to pay for amount of money (as a settlement) for the damage it had caused to the file she downloaded/uploaded. The said file was a Scooter album and it was downloaded/uploaded back in 2008 and she had received the letter a week ago. If she won't pay the money in 21 days they would take her to court. I think it's a harrasment, the only evidence they got is an ISP. What if she hasn't got a secured network or if she has what if someone hacked it?

Apparently, this one doesn't care whether you do upload or download.

I dont wish to sound callous but its your problem if you had a unsecure network. You would then most likely have to prove you let someone else use your network.

Be like leaving your door unlocked and someone using your land line phone surely?

People have been proven to be in a location or make/recieve a call due to mobile/landline phone records so why not an ISP?

I hope your friend sorts out the problem with as little hassle as possible:xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
15th July 2009, 19:18
Being a self-confessed Luddite, I shouldn't imagine this will apply to ME, since virtually the only time I use OUR computer is to pursue my "addiction" to the filipino/uk forum [as my "long-suffering" :23_111_9[1]: wife will surely testify!] :Erm: oh ... no ... wait a minute ... SHE utilises it first thing each morning to keep in touch with her relatives and friends in the Phils, so that they, in turn, can receive her messages during what is late afternoon/early evening there and reply by text on their mobile phones when work is over for the day.

Hopefully your right and never have any issues like the ones mentioned. But as Joe posted the other day there are some devious people and software out there.

From personal experince Phill kids like all kids like to put alsorts of screensavers and desktops on pcs and play online games. Even one email or im, clicking on a website for a few seconds if unlucky can leave you in danger.

So keep them eyes peeled and your av and os updated:)

Arthur Little
15th July 2009, 19:41
Hopefully your right and never have any issues like the ones mentioned. But as Joe posted the other day there are some devious people and software out there.

From personal experince Phill kids like all kids like to put alsorts of screensavers and desktops on pcs and play online games. Even one email or im, clicking on a website for a few seconds if unlucky can leave you in danger.

So keep them eyes peeled and your av and os updated:)

:icon_eek: Thanks for the alert, Andy. To be forewarned is to be forearmed. Best to follow your helpful advice and be on my guard! :cwm25:

joebloggs
15th July 2009, 21:01
I dont wish to sound callous but its your problem if you had a unsecure network. You would then most likely have to prove you let someone else use your network.

Be like leaving your door unlocked and someone using your land line phone surely?

People have been proven to be in a location or make/recieve a call due to mobile/landline phone records so why not an ISP?

I hope your friend sorts out the problem with as little hassle as possible:xxgrinning--00xx3:

you beat me to it Andy,

well i disagree Andy there is no law saying you need a secure wireless network, so not my problem if someone used my unsecured wireless router to download a scooter album :doh , as i would be the victim here, as i'm pretty sure it is illegal to connect to some elses router.

yes like scouser keith said they would need to contact your ISP.

i would probably write back to them telling that i know nothing of IT, only know how to turn the pc on, and i have only just found out from a friend my wireless router is unsecure :yikes:, and now its secure, but i have never downloaded any scooter album nor would i want to :rolleyes: and so please supply evidence you have it was me or stop harassing me :cwm23:

and if i was taken to court, that would be my defence, must have been some scouser using my unsecured router :xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
15th July 2009, 22:44
you beat me to it Andy,

well i disagree Andy there is no law saying you need a secure wireless network, so not my problem if someone used my unsecured wireless router to download a scooter album :doh , as i would be the victim here, as i'm pretty sure it is illegal to connect to some elses router.

yes like scouser keith said they would need to contact your ISP.

i would probably write back to them telling that i know nothing of IT, only know how to turn the pc on, and i have only just found out from a friend my wireless router is unsecure :yikes:, and now its secure, but i have never downloaded any scooter album nor would i want to :rolleyes: and so please supply evidence you have it was me or stop harassing me :cwm23:

and if i was taken to court, that would be my defence, must have been some scouser using my unsecured router :xxgrinning--00xx3:

But is igornance a defence?

I would not want to be the one to test it.

Look how many people have been prosecuted because they claim their children used the pc in download cases. Still prosecuted the parents.
No one says you have to lock your car, and take the keys out but it would be hard to prove someone stole your car and had an accident then put it back unless they had stolen the keys. Ie its common sense surely? Same with pins numbers the banks big reason for pin numbers was it meant that if someone used the account they knew the code and that you were not supposed to allow anyone to know it. Of course card cloning meant many people get quite rightly compensation in most cases but if you said you didn't take precautions to protect it or gave someone the details you would be at fault.

I wonder what the ruling would be if you had an unsecured wirless connection and used online banking would it invalidate any insurance/protection. As if you read the t and c's of most i et you would find yo must run av, antispyware, update pc and most likely use secure connection? I remember at least one police force was reporting you if you leave a house or car unattended with a window/door open to insurance companies (not sure how but i rember the report well)

But depends as you say on the laws view and what they think.

The police and courts in the UK seem to think tracking where people are with mobiles and if they made calls makes good evidence. Surely they have to prove the phone not cloned or borrowed, or do they?

I doubt the law firm would take it all the way but who knows. A law firm threatened to sue my firm and other partner companies, as they said it costs us near to nothing and gives the juniors something to do (an actual quote) Luckily we were covered our tracks with good audit trail keeping and the issue was sorted. Law firms big and small make money from nothing a lot of the times, very few doing bad at the present...

Of course you would have wiped all the hdd's in your house to nth degree.

Could you claim that no youtube/google etc account signed in your name had never searched for a scooter album.

youtube had to release their logs a while back i think? I dont follow filesharing it bores me to be honest so early noughties i think only old blokes do it now:D
Most people spotify, last fm or stream somehow it seems

Go for the plead igorance but make sure you get proper legal advice i would have thought cases on this matter are setting precedent at the moment and i would not want to be the test case with possibly a judge who doesn't get technolgy or one that thinks he does..

Good luck and worth checking out with the CAB at least just in case that there is no issue.

Arturo
16th July 2009, 03:06
I agree:xxgrinning--00xx3: It might be just a fake letter from someone who's trying to make money.

I have thought about this.... but how would a scammer know the details of any downloads or even if teh peson had a computer!

Some may be genuine "threats" - but back in the UK, I recall there woul dbe a blitz of publicity on TV or some kid aged 10 was being threatened with jail if not paying a ridiculous high figure for a downloaded film!

As an aside on the high cost of downloading music and films etc,.
there are also pirate programmes being downloaded or discs copies.

My S I L works for a bank in Sydney as an IT manager. I just legally bought a full version of Microsoft Office 2007 for less than GBP£20.
If Microsoft applied a similar price (a single licence ie use on only one computer) to all their software... nobody would bother about using pirate software. They would get more revenue and have to spend less on anti piracy.
Same applies to films and music downloads.

Arturo
16th July 2009, 03:17
:icon_eek: Thanks for the alert, Andy. To be forewarned is to be forearmed. Best to follow your helpful advice and be on my guard! :cwm25:

Each computer has an IP number ( such as ( IP 435.234.765.09 ) they are normally "provided" by the ISP.

Most web sites doing forum and downloads use the ISP to identify the origination of the user computer.

A lot of pirate software and even donwloaded films or photo images can drop a trojan on any computer - which will allow an hacker to have hidden control of you computer. Scam emails tend to use this hiding away method. Hackers use it to avoid being caught.

So even if somebody did hack into a machine or an unsecure network allowed anybody to use your IP to to anything illegal. Its the owner they come after and HE/SHE would to prove either they were not in the property or that their computer had been compromised.

These days internet and computer technology is more advanced and hiding away is getting less of an option.... although there are some applications available that can and do hide you IP !!!!

joebloggs
16th July 2009, 06:36
But is igornance a defence?

that may be true in law, but as i said there is no law that says you need to secure your wireless router, so ignorance is not a defence as you've committed no crime..

if you leave your keys in the car while your warming it up, on a winter morning and turn your back for a mo, and some scally scouser nicks your car and commits a crime using it, do the police prosecute you ?

KeithD
16th July 2009, 08:44
If it was I'd have filled your PC with gay pron and informed your wife :D

KeithD
16th July 2009, 08:47
If you wish to download and break the law then use a secure proxy site such as those in Hide The IP, the premium service supplies Elite proxies, untraceable.

trader dave
16th July 2009, 17:40
what did they said?:Erm:

quoting fair usage policy :Erm: asking you not to do it in peak times :doh

joebloggs
16th July 2009, 21:01
If it was I'd have filled your PC with gay pron and informed your wife :D

so it was you :yikes:, i thought my misses had some sort of fetish :rolleyes: after i found my harddisk was full of that :censored:

:doh

GaryFifer
16th July 2009, 21:04
So where would the law stand if you left your PC on and used YOU as a DECOY server. i.e. someone uploaded a trojan, uploaded stuff and downloaded stuff to many other people. Do they come around to your house?

somebody
18th July 2009, 23:43
that may be true in law, but as i said there is no law that says you need to secure your wireless router, so ignorance is not a defence as you've committed no crime..

if you leave your keys in the car while your warming it up, on a winter morning and turn your back for a mo, and some scally scouser nicks your car and commits a crime using it, do the police prosecute you ?

Only if they knew the scouser had taken the car and had done the crime if all they knew is your car was taken. If you couldn't prove where you was not there etc...
If you left your keys in your car and the door open unattended you most likely invalidate your insurance. Also in a court of law if you had no evidence or witnesses to say you elesewhere they may think it odd you didn't lock the door and unlikely. Even odder if the car was in your possession again after the act was carried out...

No law you need to lock your front door as far as im aware but if you didn't do it people would think you deserve what you had coming and insurance would in most cases be invalidated.

I repeat also if you use your pc for any intrernet banking or commerce you would be well advised to secure your pc as many banks have now started providing a lot of advice on securing networks and pc's even supplying security software. I wonder if you did have a issue with fraud which was i.t related to your home pc they might get out of any repayments if they could prove you did not use a secure pc and network?

Northerner
19th July 2009, 00:37
use rapidshare:xxgrinning--00xx3: Bittorrent also uploads as well as downloads, Rapidshare is a download only service (unless you actually upload stuff on it but that can be traced):)

joebloggs
19th July 2009, 11:04
use rapidshare:xxgrinning--00xx3: Bittorrent also uploads as well as downloads, Rapidshare is a download only service (unless you actually upload stuff on it but that can be traced):)

rapidshare will have a log of everything you've downloaded :doh

insurance has nothing to do with it andy thou, but i wouldn't have to prove anything, as i'm innocent until proven guilty, it would be upto the prosecution to prove i downloaded the files,

i'm amazed that anyone could be taken to court without admitting it was them who downloaded the files. for example http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/06/26/party-twins-cleared-of-club-attack-115875-21472474/.sure the guy was beaten up, but no one could prove which one it was, so they went free. so it should be the same here, if they cannot prove it was me, how can they take you to court ??

aposhark
19th July 2009, 11:51
.........Anyway, you should be using Newsgroups :rolleyes:

I used to use the newsgroups a lot a few years ago.
Any recommendations for a good ISP with unlimited bandwidth and newsgroups?

joebloggs
19th July 2009, 12:07
I used to use the newsgroups a lot a few years ago.
Any recommendations for a good ISP with unlimited bandwidth and newsgroups?

thats what i'm looking for :rolleyes:
i'm on bulldog but no newgroups, which is owned by tiscali and they are owned by pipex now i think...

maybe i'll change to O2, dont think there is newsgroups with o2 thou..

aposhark
19th July 2009, 12:30
thats what i'm looking for :rolleyes:
i'm on bulldog but no newgroups, which is owned by tiscali and they are owned by pipex now i think...

maybe i'll change to O2, dont think there is newsgroups with o2 thou..

I was with Bulldog a few years ago and was on the ng then.
I heard they went bankrupt and were bought out.
Seems the new owners don't like people using bandwidth then.

joebloggs
19th July 2009, 12:46
I was with Bulldog a few years ago and was on the ng then.
I heard they went bankrupt and were bought out.
Seems the new owners don't like people using bandwidth then.

nope i've got no problems with bulldog, no cap or limits, the only problem is the price :doh, cost me £40 a month inc line rental, many are half that price now, maybe i should give them a call and get £10 knocked off for the next 6 months, telling them i want my MAC key :D

i could sign up for a newsbin account but i like rapidshare and megashare :rolleyes: just dont like the fact of the logs, but any provider can log your uploads/downloads..

aposhark
19th July 2009, 13:00
.........maybe i should give them a call and get £10 knocked off for the next 6 months, telling them i want my MAC key :D

Everytime I have threatened to leave a phone company (for example) for another, they seem to want to bend over backwards to keep your business.
They always offer discount to keep you.
I hope the ISP has the same mentality as the phone companies.
If you don't ask, you don't get!

les_taxi
19th July 2009, 13:16
newsgroups for me love em!

aposhark
19th July 2009, 13:20
newsgroups for me love em!

ISP ? Cost? Bandwidth?
C'mon, don't be shy..............

joebloggs
19th July 2009, 13:34
Everytime I have threatened to leave a phone company (for example) for another, they seem to want to bend over backwards to keep your business.
They always offer discount to keep you.
I hope the ISP has the same mentality as the phone companies.
If you don't ask, you don't get!

your right, i did this with bulldog, they said why did i want to leave, i said o2 was half the price, and they said, will you stay with us if we knock £10 off for the next 6 months, i was in 2 minds, but stayed..

but im thinking its time i tried again or went ot someone else..

aposhark
19th July 2009, 13:51
isp virgin 20mb,newsbin newsgroup,newsleech to find torrents share cost with another bout £15 month so £7.50 each

Arturo
19th July 2009, 14:16

Anyway, you should be using Newsgroups :rolleyes:

I only download things to test them..

I am feeling a bit grumpy tonight.... so being nice is out till Monday AM !

Downloading any software and using it without paying is still.." wrong".
If its a trial, you have a time limit, hack it , crack it, keygen it.... no excuses.

"Testing" is not an excuse.. unless its the official trial software which runs for the allowed period before packing in.
The only reason I post...is to stop others following your example through lack of knowledge and maybe coming unstuck one day.

Excepting freeware, all other stuff needs the user to purchase a licence/ serial number/ctivation key.

Likewise downloading from the torrent sites or similar sources,anything that others have hacked, cracked or fettled in any way...is .... "wrong".

OK, just going out to kick the cat and I should be OK after that!

LEAHnew
19th July 2009, 15:01
I am feeling a bit grumpy tonight.... so being nice is out till Monday AM !

:Erm::Erm::rolleyes::CompBuster:

joebloggs
19th July 2009, 16:55
Downloading any software and using it without paying is still.." wrong".
If its a trial, you have a time limit, hack it , crack it, keygen it.... no excuses.

same as using a photocopier is wrong unless you've got written permission from the copyright holder, also using a dvd recorder because you don't own the copyright or have their permission, etc

just as working on the side for cash in hand is wrong, also MP's who claimed for anything and everything is wrong, but walk away free, looks to me some things are more wrong than others.. :rolleyes:

somebody
19th July 2009, 17:24
rapidshare will have a log of everything you've downloaded :doh

insurance has nothing to do with it andy thou, but i wouldn't have to prove anything, as i'm innocent until proven guilty, it would be upto the prosecution to prove i downloaded the files,

i'm amazed that anyone could be taken to court without admitting it was them who downloaded the files. for example http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/06/26/party-twins-cleared-of-club-attack-115875-21472474/.sure the guy was beaten up, but no one could prove which one it was, so they went free. so it should be the same here, if they cannot prove it was me, how can they take you to court ??

But maybe the court will ask who "owns" the pc, I know with a company if priated software is found on a device our company were advised that either the person who downloaded/loaded on the software was responsible if that could not be determined it was a Director or company secatary who took the rap.

I dont know if the same in domestic setting but would make sense..

Again thats why often from what i read of the Cases the parent is sued as they own the PC.

joebloggs
19th July 2009, 17:43
that could not be determined it was a Director or company secatary who took the rap.

I dont know if the same in domestic setting but would make sense..

Again thats why often from what i read of the Cases the parent is sued as they own the PC.

thats true, when i use to pat test stuff, it would not be me who got took to court, it would be the director if anyone got a :yikes:... :D

i think you will find in many cases, the parent takes the blame because they don't want the kid taken to court, also not many kids can pay a big fine :D

But children can't be sued, can they?

In the US, the record industry says it can sue anyone, including kids. Some parents have had to pay big fines because their kids were downloading illegally.

British record bosses haven't said if any of the people they sued were children, but thought it "highly likely" that some of the people that paid the fines were doing so for their kids.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_3090000/newsid_3093100/3093138.stm

in America i believe that civil liability can extend to the parents of under-age offenders, even if they were unaware that their child had been stealing(downloading pirated s/w) but i do not think that the same in the UK.

also andy, if i own the pc and the boardband line is in the misses name , what then ! ?

somebody
19th July 2009, 17:56
thats true, when i use to pat test stuff, it would not be me who got took to court, it would be the director if anyone got a :yikes:... :D

i think you will find in many cases, the parent takes the blame because they don't want the kid taken to court, also not many kids can pay a big fine :D

But children can't be sued, can they?

In the US, the record industry says it can sue anyone, including kids. Some parents have had to pay big fines because their kids were downloading illegally.

British record bosses haven't said if any of the people they sued were children, but thought it "highly likely" that some of the people that paid the fines were doing so for their kids.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_3090000/newsid_3093100/3093138.stm

in America i believe that civil liability can extend to the parents of under-age offenders, even if they were unaware that their child had been stealing(downloading pirated s/w) but i do not think that the same in the UK.

also andy, if i own the pc and the boardband line is in the misses name , what then ! ?

Owner of the pc i presume or whoever is responsible for that person who is underage.

I belived you can be sued at 18 from a quick google but do they sue more likely to private prosecute?

joebloggs
19th July 2009, 18:57
age of criminal responsibility in uk i think is 10yrs old andy,

thou i think if you were a company and took someone under 16 to court you would look a right :censored:

owner of pc, whoever pays the isp, the person who downloaded the warez.. could be 3 people in court :D

i'll let the law sort it out, anyway as i've said b4, my dog owns the pc and she pays for the broadband with her wages i give her for guarding the house and i have to wait til shes off the website dogsrus and piratebay b4 i can go on here :xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
19th July 2009, 19:23
age of criminal responsibility in uk i think is 10yrs old andy,

thou i think if you were a company and took someone under 16 to court you would look a right :censored:

owner of pc, whoever pays the isp, the person who downloaded the warez.. could be 3 people in court :D

i'll let the law sort it out, anyway as i've said b4, my dog owns the pc and she pays for the broadband with her wages i give her for guarding the house and i have to wait til shes off the website dogsrus and piratebay b4 i can go on here :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:D

When i googled I found one of those lists which stated what you could do at each age and it stated you could sue or be sued at 18.

At ten you have crimnal responsbilty as you say but I dont know if Cvill law and crimnal law blah blah differ and to be honest as im not ten (only act like it :D ) its not something i worry about much.

From what i recall its the computer (but defining the computer will vary as technolgy changes with the cloud etc), but as i mentioned earlier alot of the law is still up in the air.
Which is why you would if you asked me be wise to tread carefully as the way laws are defined and precedents are set particulalry in new High tech areas dont always follow the pattern people expect.

Of course there maybe some 300 year old law or ruling which gets used for either the defence or prosecution which changes everything.
It could be simply the way the Judge understands the concept which maybe different to what it really is.

Look at cloud storage would they define that as a kind of locker and if so who owns it or takes responsbilty?

At work our company is creating a commercial data storage cloud service. Where you work on files and even applications remotely and everything is virtual. Viewed via a web browser. Which is why worrying about new os seems so noughties to me as the decade comes to a close..

You could download to there and it may be argued the data never entered your pc you just looked at it. Who would be responsible for it still a very grey area, im guessing.

Could a judge be found who really understood the ins and out as new technolgies happen? Many working on the outskirts of new Technolgy within the company dont understand them totally even if highly qualified and experienced, so how could a Judge?

Have a fair idea and able to use a PC just dont cut it for me.

Wheter the courts decide file sharing is good bad or whatever is up to them but i do hope they could have people who have a proper understanding of all the concepts if they are learning from Expert for the defence or prosecution then the infomation will be slanted in their favour.

joebloggs
19th July 2009, 19:29
:
Could a judge be found who really understood the ins and out as new technolgies happen? Many working on the outskirts of new Technolgy within the company dont understand them totally even if highly qualified and experienced, so how could a Judge?

Have a fair idea and able to use a PC just dont cut it for me.

Wheter the courts decide file sharing is good bad or whatever is up to them but i do hope they could have people who have a proper understanding of all the concepts if they are learning from Expert for the defence or prosecution then the infomation will be slanted in their favour.

true also even if they did understand, would they be impartial, as the judge on the trial of pirate bay was found after the trial to be a member of the same pro-copyright groups as several of the main entertainment industry reps in the case, and he thought he should not declare his interest :D, thou he did say it did not influence his judgement :icon_lol:

somebody
19th July 2009, 19:35
true also even if they did understand, would they be impartial, as the judge on the trial of pirate bay was found after the trial to be a member of the same pro-copyright groups as several of the main entertainment industry reps in the case, and he thought he should not declare his interest :D, thou he did say it did not influence his judgement :icon_lol:

Sounds like the case of the Judge who ask who is this Gazza fellow :Erm:

KeithD
20th July 2009, 08:35
A lot of software from the smaller companies that sell in the EU actually are in breach of EU/UK law with regard refunds, but your chances of getting the money back is low if you've bought software and it's crap.

People pass the Ebooks I sell around for free, some folk hack my software, that's part of business, always has been, and always will be. As Joe points out, everyone does it at some point with something.

beppe
2nd August 2009, 06:48
This guy got a big headache,

Boston student who admitted downloading, sharing music ordered to pay $675K to record labels

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090731/entertainment/us_tec_music_downloading