PDA

View Full Version : Skype phone on 3 costs nothing a month!

somebody
5th July 2009, 16:54
Just in case your not aware skype is now free on three. No monthly top up nothing. So for the price of the phone to be charged every other day or so. The Wife has free skype calls anywhere she can get a 3 mobile signal.

Also you can send off for free PAYG sim cards so if you have an old 3 phone skype capable mobile sitting in a cupboard etc. You maybe lucky

Im also looking in to where it says which 3 mobiles come with skype on 3 it offers you the chance to download a link for some models. As three have a statment on their site saying soon many 3g enabled unlocked non 3 phones will soon be able to use the service.

Warning not all phones are able to use this service and i strongly advise you read though the website and check and then double check.

http://www.three.co.uk/Mobiles/3_Skypephone

You can both skype message and talk.

The old cost used to be on PAYG 10 pounds a month to give you access to the skype option so a saving of120 pounds is possible. Of course it means the mobile can not be used for normal calls, sms etc you would need to load some credit on.

estherboaz
5th July 2009, 18:14
Just in case your not aware skype is now free on three. No monthly top up nothing. So for the price of the phone to be charged every other day or so. The Wife has free skype calls anywhere she can get a 3 mobile signal.

Also you can send off for free PAYG sim cards so if you have an old 3 phone skype capable mobile sitting in a cupboard etc. You maybe lucky

Im also looking in to where it says which 3 mobiles come with skype on 3 it offers you the chance to download a link for some models. As three have a statment on their site saying soon many 3g enabled unlocked non 3 phones will soon be able to use the service.

Warning not all phones are able to use this service and i strongly advise you read though the website and check and then double check.

You can both skype message and talk.

The old cost used to be on PAYG 10 pounds a month to give you access to the skype option so a saving of120 pounds is possible. Of course it means the mobile can not be used for normal calls, sms etc you would need to load some credit on.

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3: coz im using 3

ukgangster
5th July 2009, 18:46
I've got a couple of 3 LG KF310 mobile phones floating around (mum is on 3 network and for some bizarre reason they sent her 2 LG 3 mobiles when it came to contract renewal time - they told to keep them as spare) problem is I can't get hold of any the free payg 3 sims - I've filled in the online form to get free sims on the 3 website, but nothing - anyone got some spare 3 payg sims lying around? Not sure if the KF310 has Skype abilities - can't check as I dont have a 3 sim.

Update:

It does have Skype, just done a Google, but theres no mention of it in the instruction manual, so maybe its a download...Elsa and Ping will be pleased!

somebody
5th July 2009, 22:02
I've got a couple of 3 LG KF310 mobile phones floating around (mum is on 3 network and for some bizarre reason they sent her 2 LG 3 mobiles when it came to contract renewal time - they told to keep them as spare) problem is I can't get hold of any the free payg 3 sims - I've filled in the online form to get free sims on the 3 website, but nothing - anyone got some spare 3 payg sims lying around? Not sure if the KF310 has Skype abilities - can't check as I dont have a 3 sim.

Update:

It does have Skype, just done a Google, but theres no mention of it in the instruction manual, so maybe its a download...Elsa and Ping will be pleased!

The Sims do take some time to come or prehaps lost in the system?

SIr you go to the link

In the blue box with mange your account click on

which 3 mobiles come with skype on 3

as you say it mentions the phone you have and once you get a three sim it will text you a link.

I dont know how well it works so google may well be your friend.

As you say many of the ladies in this country may find it useful to chat and message via phone with all the ladies on here for free:xxgrinning--00xx3:

So far the phone has to be a model on the list three has on the link above

set to use 3g (many people switch off as if they dont use its a waste of battery life)

It also has to be either a three phone or unlocked.

You can get phones on 3 already set up for skype and off course no ongoing fees if only to use for skype.

Very important do check the coverage in your area it can vary between the different providers

https://www.three.co.uk/Pay_As_You_Go/Free_SIM

If anyone knows more im sure people will be grateful.

Hopefully we can seriously reduce some phone bills and help people gossip:D

empott
6th July 2009, 02:12
...Elsa and Ping will be pleased!

Is this Mod Rob? A new account? :Erm: Were you banned too? :D :icon_lol: :Bolt::xxparty-smiley-004:

ukgangster
6th July 2009, 05:51
Is this Mod Rob? A new account? :Erm: Were you banned too? :D :icon_lol: :Bolt::xxparty-smiley-004:

Yep, I banned myself, so now I'm back and I'm a bad gangster. :)

empott
6th July 2009, 06:01
Yep, I banned myself, so now I'm back and I'm a bad gangster. :)

2 accounts! you're banned! :Bolt:
Now I'm scared. Just kidding, Mod. :D

pennybarry
6th July 2009, 06:22
I have chat with Skype staff thru their support chat online because I want to be sure it will work in Pinas. He said, Pay as You go will not work so I need to buy the 3G contract which is about 15 £/ mo in 6 months.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I got 1 free sim.

I am dreaming to own Nokia N97 which is really the most fabulous but it cost 35 £ in 18 mos.:omg: Still thinking if that is luxury or necessity:D This will be my first bill ever in the UK:doh

ukgangster
6th July 2009, 06:28
2 accounts! you're banned! :Bolt:
Now I'm scared. Just kidding, Mod. :D

2 accounts? Thats nothing, I know some (ex)members on here who had 3 or 4 accounts at the same time.

pennybarry
6th July 2009, 06:35
2 accounts? Thats nothing, I know some (ex)members on here who had 3 or 4 accounts at the same time.

I agree:D some members have more than 1 maybe because they want other members to p*ss off and annoy them by means of disguise. Maybe they are shy to share their problems, maybe they are spying something. What do u think?:D

KeithD
6th July 2009, 08:51
I've been using Skype on wifi on my phone for free for over a year :) But 3 are the first to do it over the mobilr network, so I guess I can use Skype from the laptop now for free as it has mobile 3 broadband :)

nigel
6th July 2009, 18:37
These things never turn out to be completely free though...:Erm: I'm sure will want payment of some kind...:Erm:

Surely the skype phone will only work if you get an internet connection from 3? Which 3 will charge a monthly fee for?:Erm:

Mrs.JMajor
6th July 2009, 18:46

:eek: Why do the hell they do that ? :NoNo:

somebody
6th July 2009, 19:15
I've been using Skype on wifi on my phone for free for over a year :) But 3 are the first to do it over the mobilr network, so I guess I can use Skype from the laptop now for free as it has mobile 3 broadband :)

Dont know about that you would need to look it up the skype phones dont use a data link its a voice call and sms they use a different system to get the single to three who then turn it into a skypevoip call.

These things never turn out to be completely free though...:Erm: I'm sure will want payment of some kind...:Erm:

Surely the skype phone will only work if you get an internet connection from 3? Which 3 will charge a monthly fee for?:Erm:

Well 3 do like their gimmicks i guess they working on the fact most people will want to use the phone as a normal phone or use data as well as for the skype function. Like most people get the free mins, phones etc they count on you spending above the minimum to make money. Thats why when going to renew your contract if you didn't spend any more than your monthly line rental most times they will not offer you a great deal to stay. In some cases they almost push you away:D It does not use the internet of it does now you dont need an internet connection.

I have chat with Skype staff thru their support chat online because I want to be sure it will work in Pinas. He said, Pay as You go will not work so I need to buy the 3G contract which is about 15 £/ mo in 6 months.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I got 1 free sim.

I am dreaming to own Nokia N97 which is really the most fabulous but it cost 35 £ in 18 mos.:omg: Still thinking if that is luxury or necessity:D This will be my first bill ever in the UK:doh

The special skype function on a mobile will not work in phill, only in countries where 3 mobile are (hong kong is one i belive, along with italy, austrailia)

Again thats how they will make there money tempting people and then selling them something.

darren-b
6th July 2009, 19:50
The special skype function on a mobile will not work in phill, only in countries where 3 mobile are (hong kong is one i belive, along with italy, austrailia)

Not sure it will work in the other countries where 3 mobile are now as 3 stopped their "Like home" service last month. It's a shame they stopped it as we have used it in the past in both Italy and Hong Kong.

somebody
6th July 2009, 20:03
Not sure it will work in the other countries where 3 mobile are now as 3 stopped their "Like home" service last month. It's a shame they stopped it as we have used it in the past in both Italy and Hong Kong.

Will soon know the wifes mums out in italia. On the italian 3 website they offer the same promotion so even for the cost of a payg sim it's not bad.

But even if the phone never leaves your house many I know were saving a fortune when paying ten quid let alone paying nothing. For many who didn't wanna use 3 for their contract phone due to the bad customer service like us it was a pain in the :butthead: to pay a tenner extra.

Far cheaper than leaving a pc on all the time.

Just read this on the skpye site so not sure how up to date it is

3 Skypephone Terms
Available from 3 to new approved customers who purchase a 3 Skypephone and register on selected 3 monthly or pre-paid price plans, subject to minimum contract and regular top-up. Free calls are Skype-to-Skype calls and Skype instant chat messages only from the 3 network or while roaming on a 3 sister network. Fair use policy and terms apply. Visit the 3 website in your country for details.

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/allfeatures/3skypephone/

As no longer need top ups it maybe out of date but the UK one still mentions top up possibly to trip some people up into buying them?

jimcarie
6th July 2009, 21:27
calls anywhere in the world are free.

green box at the end of your street, just plug in and dial :D

tomm
10th July 2009, 22:24
Well I got the sim ok :xxgrinning--00xx3: The phone is unlocked and I have a 3g connection with the sim in :xxgrinning--00xx3: Now the fun begins :Erm: I cant get the WAP settings on my phone :NoNo: I've tried to use the feature in My3 to send the settings to my phone but no text arrives :cwm23:

Any ideas? :):Help1:

ukgangster
11th July 2009, 11:29
Well I got the sim ok :xxgrinning--00xx3: The phone is unlocked and I have a 3g connection with the sim in :xxgrinning--00xx3: Now the fun begins :Erm: I cant get the WAP settings on my phone :NoNo: I've tried to use the feature in My3 to send the settings to my phone but no text arrives :cwm23:

Any ideas? :):Help1:

Heres my story:

I had a spare LG310 (actually 2 of them!). Got 1 unlocked and its now working with o2, BUT and its a very big BUT, o2 does not support this LG310 and if I request WAP and GPRS settings they never arrive. I've tried manually editing the GPRS settings but the phone insists on using 3 default settings only. Also I can't get rid of any of the 3 stuff on the phone, so it looks like I've only got calling and texting capability on o2. Ah well, £20 unlock fee was still cheaper than buying a new phone.

Now, the other LG310, I got the 3 SIM card this morning (with £1.02 credit), I've already set up Windows Live messenger and Skype with no problem at all, and most important of all, I didn't need to top up. So far so good. Now if only I could get 3g speeds where I live that would be great.

tomm
11th July 2009, 12:31
Heres my story:

I had a spare LG310 (actually 2 of them!). Got 1 unlocked and its now working with o2, BUT and its a very big BUT, o2 does not support this LG310 and if I request WAP and GPRS settings they never arrive. I've tried manually editing the GPRS settings but the phone insists on using 3 default settings only. Also I can't get rid of any of the 3 stuff on the phone, so it looks like I've only got calling and texting capability on o2. Ah well, £20 unlock fee was still cheaper than buying a new phone.

Now, the other LG310, I got the 3 SIM card this morning (with £1.02 credit), I've already set up Windows Live messenger and Skype with no problem at all, and most important of all, I didn't need to top up. So far so good. Now if only I could get 3g speeds where I live that would be great.

:icon_lol: Here's my story

Have an HTC running Windows Mobile 6. Manually entered all the o2 WAP and GPRS settings... it works fine :xxgrinning--00xx3: Now here's the but :icon_lol:... I am using o2 payandgo coz Your Country for the free calls to PI :xxgrinning--00xx3: is not available on pay monthly or contract :NoNo:. Now here's the next but :icon_lol:... o2 payandgo internet access on allows web browser not IM or VOIP etc... not even mail (even with unlimited web access bolt on) :cwm23:

Called 3 and told them my phone is supported in My3. :xxgrinning--00xx3: but the very nice man said there yes, although he can see it there are no settings available :Erm: so they couldn't help :doh

Anyway, have found cab file elsewhere :D which has installed the 3 settings. :xxgrinning--00xx3: I'm on internet now. However Skype doesn't work so well... it's a bit choppy :bigcry: but this may be due to my 3g connection. Will try else where. Have also heard skype is not so good on windows mobile :Erm:

somebody
14th July 2009, 12:13
Unless its changed the skpye that three offer for free is sent via normal voice circuit switched gsm so does not require you to use the internet i belive.

Well thats what i was led to belive when it first came out.

Basically the voice calls are a normal phone call and the msgs are sent as text messages.

Then at 3 they are converted into the skype you know and love and viceversa for incoming calls and messages.

The software is iskoot which on the skpyephones you see a splash screen for

http://www.iskoot.com/products/skype

I repeat we are using two orignal 3 skype phones with no credit on them what so ever and getting skype voice and msgs in and out.

We would need to pay extra for normal everyday gsm voice, sms data etc, which we dont intend to do:D

ukgangster
14th July 2009, 16:52
I repeat we are using two orignal 3 skype phones with no credit on them what so ever and getting skype voice and msgs in and out.

We would need to pay extra for normally voice, sms data etc, which we dont intend to do:D

Elsa and Ping have already had about 3 hours of conversation via Skype in just 4 days on our LG phone. What the heck do they chat about I'll never know. :Erm:

I notice 3 are sending loads of promo text messages - one of them even offered £10 if you port your mobile number over to them, seems like a good idea - Skype/Windows messenger and mobile phone all in one. In fact 3 seem to have the best signal of the lot where I am (though only 3g will work in Aberystwyth 5 miles away)

Skype on 3 uses normal voice cicuit switched gsm as you say.

somebody
14th July 2009, 18:10
Elsa and Ping have already had about 3 hours of conversation via Skype in just 4 days on our LG phone. What the heck do they chat about I'll never know. :Erm:

I notice 3 are sending loads of promo text messages - one of them even offered £10 if you port your mobile number over to them, seems like a good idea - Skype/Windows messenger and mobile phone all in one. In fact 3 seem to have the best signal of the lot where I am (though only 3g will work in Aberystwyth 5 miles away)

Skype on 3 uses normal voice cicuit switched gsm as you say.

Dont sound to bad and hopefully saving you loads especially if you call people who have skype abroad. Over the years the Wife must have saved a small fortune although still uses normal gsm mobile and calling card credit as many dont have skype access at all or she needs to call them when they are out and about on their mobiles.

With the TV channels they stream you would think they would target the large markets such as pinoys, indians and chinese with streammed shows to their mobiles. Even if they charge 5 or 10 pounds a month far cheaper than many of the other methods avaiable either in equipment pc/broadband link or satalite dish and contract..

Today after the Wifes Citzenship do, we wondered round town and the local exchange shop its noticeable all the 3 mobiles apart from im guessing the cheaper non compatiable ones were just not there. Loads of Vodafone,02,orange, virgin even tescos and of course unlocked ones. From the flash to the basic versions. A few months ago there would be tens of them as three PAYG I understand use to be hard to get unlocked...