PDA

View Full Version : Philippine culture

Les_lady888
25th June 2009, 10:56
Just recently, 2 foreigner clients (I'd better not mention nationality so as not to be prejudice over any other :D) in 2 different incidents complained over something and both impliedly "mock" Philippine culture.

The first one complained about why I didn't leave my name and number when I called. (tried to call her to inform about the unfunded check which she has to fund by noontime so to avoid more charges to be debited from her account). She wasn't able to take my call but the recipient said she will relay the message to her. (Of course, I didn't tell the recipient my purpose of calling but requested that the client to come or call the bank (told her the bank's name and branch) before noon that day. The client failed to fund the check.

So the following day, the client came to bank and complained about the charges and also mocked Phil. culture. She told me that in the US (oh alright nationality divulged now :D ), the bank personnel will always leave the name and number of the caller...and she kept on saying it over and over again that it is Phil. culture not to leave one's name and number and that's so ridiculous! I was quite irritated by her arrogance and so I told her that Philippines is a small country with such a resourceful people to scan the phonebook directory to find a number to call....and that she has to have funds in account before issuing checks.

Next client on my next post ok...I still have to cook dinner :cwm12:

Mrs.JMajor
25th June 2009, 11:22

:icon_lol: Nice rant eh,:xxgrinning--00xx3:

bornatbirth
25th June 2009, 12:42
i think you will find that people from the usa just think the rest of the world is a extension of the usa and never understand that there are different countries and cultures..??

Les_lady888
25th June 2009, 15:17
Second foreigner complained about the delayed remittance she was expecting and she said it was sent yesterday! Hmmmm...funny coz she's been receiving remittances from US (alright another American!) regularly.....and she should know that it wud take at least 3-5 banking days for it to be credited to her account. What ired me was when she said "Why you filipinos can't exactly tell when will the remittance arrive?!!"

Fortunately after some explanation I was able to pacify her to the best of my ability :cwm23: But actually what happened was she was expecting a remittance from Korea and not US this time so she was really expecting it to arrive the next day. It did but at the end of day though. Luckily our bank closes at 6:00pm so she was still able to transact with us.

It will always be innate to Philippine culture the values of resourcefulness and patience.

But nonetheless, I did have a rough day that day!:ARsurrender::Blacklistthatsucks: not to mention the nosebleed I have to bear :doh

Jay&Zobel
25th June 2009, 17:01
It will always be innate to Philippine culture the values of resourcefulness and patience.

But nonetheless, I did have a rough day that day!:ARsurrender::Blacklistthatsucks: not to mention the nosebleed I have to bear :doh

hehe... but I'm certainly sure you also have encountered more annoying clients not only Americans but also Pinoys...:Erm::D

miss.piggy
25th June 2009, 17:29
Just recently, 2 foreigner clients (I'd better not mention nationality so as not to be prejudice over any other :D) in 2 different incidents complained over something and both impliedly "mock" Philippine culture.

The first one complained about why I didn't leave my name and number when I called. (tried to call her to inform about the unfunded check which she has to fund by noontime so to avoid more charges to be debited from her account). She wasn't able to take my call but the recipient said she will relay the message to her. (Of course, I didn't tell the recipient my purpose of calling but requested that the client to come or call the bank (told her the bank's name and branch) before noon that day. The client failed to fund the check.

So the following day, the client came to bank and complained about the charges and also mocked Phil. culture. She told me that in the US (oh alright nationality divulged now :D ), the bank personnel will always leave the name and number of the caller...and she kept on saying it over and over again that it is Phil. culture not to leave one's name and number and that's so ridiculous! I was quite irritated by her arrogance and so I told her that Philippines is a small country with such a resourceful people to scan the phonebook directory to find a number to call....and that she has to have funds in account before issuing checks.

Hi Les Lady888...

Sorry about that...

My point of view:

1. Philippine culture has nothing to do with american #1's failure to fund a cheque she released. She's just trying to pass the blame on someone else to give herself an excuse to embarassment. Philippine culture has nothing to do with her own character of being so disorganised.
2. American #2 is badly in need of cash and she thought that pressuring a bank personnel would expedite her transactions. Well she is wrong, isn't she?

I believe you should just accept the fact that some people are not as intelligent as others. Don't get yourself too affected with things like that -- instead just continue what you're doing and just do what you think is best. Don't get criticisms get into you, but instead use them to improve yourself. :-)

Hope you're feeling better now.

Jay&Zobel
25th June 2009, 17:36
Hi Les Lady888...

Sorry about that...

My point of view:

1. Philippine culture has nothing to do with american #1's failure to fund a cheque she released. She's just trying to pass the blame on someone else to give herself an excuse to embarassment. Philippine culture has nothing to do with her own character of being so disorganised.
2. American #2 is badly in need of cash and she thought that pressuring a bank personnel would expedite her transactions. Well she is wrong, isn't she?

I believe you should just accept the fact that some people are not as intelligent as others. Don't get yourself too affected with things like that -- instead just continue what you're doing and just do what you think is best. Don't get criticisms get into you, but instead use them to improve yourself. :-)

:gp::gp::gp: It's all about the BLAME GAME!

Florge
25th June 2009, 17:39
ahhh... the beauty of working in a service industry... don't worry Les, you are not alone in this... just imagine our call center agents having to deal with 'em.. their arrogance and stupidity combined brings such beauty to our everyday lives at work... *sigh*

the reason why the call center and/or the service industry as a whole is getting stronger here in the Phils, is because of the Pinoy's patience, respectfulness (amidst the screaming calls/complaints of clients), charm, and resourcefulness.

I'm so proud to be Pinoy! ..... now now... this is my belated Independence day message actually... LOL

Les_lady888
26th June 2009, 13:26
hehe... but I'm certainly sure you also have encountered more annoying clients not only Americans but also Pinoys...:Erm::D

This is so true....I've encountered countless of difficult filipino clients also but no one among them ever questioned Philippine culture of course.

Les_lady888
26th June 2009, 13:36
Hi Les Lady888...

Thanks Miss Piggy....Well, actually based on countless experience of dealing with difficult clients, be pinoys or aliens, I have already learned to control my irritation :xxsport-smiley-002: :NEW3: and maintain my composure :sport-smiley-003: .......but still a tough day will always be a rough day. At times, I just need to share it to another so to get over with it :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Aja!:)

Tawi2
26th June 2009, 13:39
Aliens??????Interesting choice of word :Erm: I still have my "Alien travel permit" issued in china in the early 1990's for access into Tibet,havent been called an alien for a long time :Erm:

Les_lady888
26th June 2009, 13:40
ahhh... the beauty of working in a service industry... don't worry Les, you are not alone in this... just imagine our call center agents having to deal with 'em.. their arrogance and stupidity combined brings such beauty to our everyday lives at work... *sigh*

the reason why the call center and/or the service industry as a whole is getting stronger here in the Phils, is because of the Pinoy's patience, respectfulness (amidst the screaming calls/complaints of clients), charm, and resourcefulness.

I'm so proud to be Pinoy! ..... now now... this is my belated Independence day message actually... LOL

:gp::iagree: But those in call center are luckier coz they don't have to see those clients face to face.:xxsport-smiley-002:

Les_lady888
26th June 2009, 13:42
Aliens??????Interesting choice of word :Erm: I still have my "Alien travel permit" issued in china in the early 1990's for access into Tibet,havent been called an alien for a long time :Erm:

LOL sorry Sir....We often refer foreigners as aliens because of the ACR.,,,but no offense meant please sorry.:ARsurrender:

Sophie
26th June 2009, 13:42

Oh, tell me about it! :xxgrinning--00xx3:LOL :doh
I've had my fair share of dealing with really difficult and unreasonably demanding clients
back in my corporate days in manila.....foreigners and pinoy's alike.......
And if i may add, our customer service orientation is impeccable.....in my experience that is......:)

Tawi2
26th June 2009, 13:44
LOL sorry Sir....We often refer foreigners as aliens because of the ACR.,,,but no offense meant please sorry.:ARsurrender:

Are you working in a call-centre in Davao?They are turning VENUE disco into a call centre arent they? :Erm:

Les_lady888
26th June 2009, 13:50
Are you working in a call-centre in Davao?They are turning VENUE disco into a call centre arent they? :Erm:

No, Im not working in a call center....and Yes, Venue disco was replaced with Sutherland call center.

Tawi2
26th June 2009, 14:04
So its now called Sutherland Call Centre?I used to love VENUE when it was a disco,met some strange poeple in there over the years :icon_lol:

Les_lady888
26th June 2009, 14:15
So its now called Sutherland Call Centre?I used to love VENUE when it was a disco,met some strange poeple in there over the years :icon_lol:

:Erm:Hmmm, I wonder how strange those people are?

Tawi2
26th June 2009, 14:22
Well,no need to elaborate,the world is filled with strange people,thats always been my findings anyway :icon_lol: