PDA

View Full Version : Ate o Kuya????

Mrs Daddy
23rd June 2009, 18:17
Well for some lovely filipina ladies here and some filipino gents and of course for everybody.I have this questions for soooooo long now.Do you mind if somebody younger than you are call you ate or kuya because if you ask me I dont mind at all:NoNo::NoNo::NoNo:because I have a brother and a sister they both address me as ate and I am used to that and I would prefer younger one to call me that way.That`s why if I meet somebody older than me I have to ask him/her if he/she wanted to be called ate or kuya I have two filipino neighbor here a male and female.The female one prefer me to address her by her name but the thing is her daughter follows her to call me by my name and she`s only 8 years old while the other one I call him kuya in return he calls me ate I mean our age gap would be like 5 years or more than that I guess, so I thougt he doesn`t want to be called kuya again!It`s just that I have been brought up by my parents to respect the elders,we all are! its like a thing that we learn to grew up with our good manners and right conduct so to speak:D:Dand I know we have different cultures in here and in PI its just that I hope we`ll still continue what we have learn from when we were small:D:D:D!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
23rd June 2009, 18:21
You can call me Manong inday :icon_lol:

Mrs Daddy
23rd June 2009, 18:23
You can call me Manong inday :icon_lol:

bugger lugs:yikes::yikes::yikes: you`re a bayot :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Tawi2
23rd June 2009, 18:29
Its "Bugger-LUGS" :icon_lol: and its BAKLA :Rasp::Rasp::icon_lol:

Mrs Daddy
23rd June 2009, 18:32
Its "Bugger-LUGS" :icon_lol: and its BAKLA :Rasp::Rasp::icon_lol:

:D:D:D:D Bayot,bakla,darna

Tawi2
23rd June 2009, 18:36
Inday.........................you forgot Bading :Rasp::icon_lol::Rasp::icon_lol:

Mrs.JMajor
23rd June 2009, 18:38
I teach my step son to call me "Tita" and she ask me why tita while my name is "Juliet", I explain to him that in our country "calling me Juliet as your age(& yrsold) sounds rude or no manners so its up to you if you still want to call me Juliet, your choice" and he replied,"I LIke Tita".

While I ask Tom before when we havent married yet, what shall I call to his Mom and he said, call her Rachelle, and I said"Whatttttttttttttttttt? So what I did is didnt call her anything till we havent married, now I keep calling her mum, gessh sounds awful isnt it?

Really they need to learn lots, in terms of addressing people with respect like Philippines

Mrs.JMajor
23rd June 2009, 18:40
Sorry Wheela, your question is ate or kuya but my reply is relevant thou hehehe

Mrs Daddy
23rd June 2009, 18:45
While I ask Tom before when we havent married yet, what shall I call to his Mom and he said, call her Rachelle, and I said"Whatttttttttttttttttt? So what I did is didnt call her anything till we havent married, now I keep calling her mum, gessh sounds awful isnt it?

Really they need to learn lots, in terms of addressing people with respect like Philippines

Same here while my other half in PI with me his son in law texted him and called him by his name and it was like "why is he calling you by your name?" I was confuse:Erm::Erm::Erm: and he asked me back what do you call your parents in law in here then and I replied same as you call your parents mum and dad.See the difference:rolleyes::rolleyes:

adam&chryss
23rd June 2009, 19:22
my son Yujin calls his 2cousins here (adam's nieces) ate... adam just explained what it means when yujin met them and calling them ate.
it's also different about here calling uncles and aunties. like adam's uncles and aunties, yujin can't call them grandma or grandpa. he calls them uncle and aunt too. same as adam's cousins.. my sons can't call them aunt or uncle...
i was ask once just few days ago by one of Yujin's teacher what kuya means... i said older brother. and then she asked me if Yujin has older brothers, i said no, yujin was talking about his cousins back in the Philippines. so i explained to her that we have to use this words even if she/he is not your real brother or sister, and told her it's our way to respect people and not to call them just by their names.
it's kinda hard for us because we were brought to respect elders.. i still remember when i was young, my grandma will slap me if i forgot to say kuya or ate same as aunt/uncle and so on.

Tawi2
23rd June 2009, 19:26
If your grandfaher slapped you did you call 163 bantay bata :Erm:

Mrs Daddy
23rd June 2009, 19:28

I think you`re a Komedyanting Bakla:Rasp::Rasp::Rasp:Ur making me laugh Tawi2 and its hurting my tummy:Yippeee::laugher::laugher:

Mrs.JMajor
23rd June 2009, 19:31

I will answer, no my kids didnt call 163, as I am very strict mother, I hit them with my belt, and they just say"ouch" and one word of "NO" is enoguh to both of them to behave, while my step son makes me:cwm23: as he play the food and the father keep saying 5x of no but he dont bother and I said to him, "your lucky I am not your mother" and he said "yah my father is a nice guy" and I said "thats why your take for granted as he didnt hit you":NoNo:

Tawi2
23rd June 2009, 19:42
Hit them with your belt :cwm24:I always used to say to my boy when he was small "Hoy,sinteron nin kita" he just laughed and said "Bakit" :Erm: I had a good answer "Bakit hindi" :icon_lol:I wouldnt really hit him,I dont agree with hitting kids,not that theres a right way nor a wrong way to bring up a child,just everyone has different views havent they?How olds your step-son Mrs M?Small child??:Erm:

adam&chryss
23rd June 2009, 19:42
when i was young i'm a battered granddaughter.. but my love for my lola is just like my love for my mother.
she hits me because i've been bad, though she've been very strict and crossed the line in disciplining me. i know she just loved me so much and wanted me to be a good person.
when Yujin did something really bad i hit him hard once so he'll remember it. now i just scare him that i'll hit him, then he'll just listen to me because he knows it will really hurt.

Tawi2
23rd June 2009, 19:48
I saw someone punch her niece about 2 years ago in pinas,totally uncalled for,she did it with real venom :cwm23: I didnt like that,I actually asked her "What are you doing???" she was ashamed but the poor kid was still crying :icon_lol:

Mrs.JMajor
23rd June 2009, 20:01
How olds your step-son Mrs M?Small child??:Erm:
He's 8 on Sept. and he is bit annoying sometimes, although when he go home to his mom (because he only spent 24 hours during weeekend with us), his mom ask him If I am nice to him, he said "yessss" cause he didnt realize that I am annoyed to him :icon_lol:

Hope hubby didnt read this post:xxparty-smiley-004:

Tawi2
23rd June 2009, 20:03
He is only 8 Mrs M,just a kid,sit him down,have a chat,be friends,kids are great :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Mrs Daddy
23rd June 2009, 20:03
:Erm::Erm:so is it juliet or ate juliet?:D:D:D or Mr.Tawi2 or kuya Tawi2:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Mrs.JMajor
23rd June 2009, 20:06
He is only 8 Mrs M,just a kid,sit him down,have a chat,be friends,kids are great :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Thats what I did,since he is not my son, so I cant hit him, lol

:Erm::Erm:so is it juliet or ate juliet?:D:D:D or Mr.Tawi2 or kuya Tawi2:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:
Ate Juliet and ate Tawi as he is bit bakla thou:Erm:

nothing getting hard:Erm:

Mrs Daddy
23rd June 2009, 20:08
Thats what I did,since he is not my son, so I cant hit him, lol

Ate Juliet and ate Tawi as he is bit bakla thou:Erm:

nothing getting hard:Erm:

:icon_lol::icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
23rd June 2009, 20:08
Hoyyyyyyy,hilom di ha :omg:I aint a bakla :NoNo:I am a geezer :xxgrinning--00xx3: :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Tawi2
23rd June 2009, 20:09
Whats tagalog for hilom di ha?Tumigil ka ba? :Erm::Erm:

Mrs Daddy
23rd June 2009, 20:11

can be great sometimes:Rasp::Rasp:
I like kids I just couldn`t eat them whole:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Tawi2
23rd June 2009, 20:11
Kids are always great,except when they are not :icon_lol:

Mrs Daddy
23rd June 2009, 20:12
Whats tagalog for hilom di ha?Tumigil ka ba? :Erm::Erm:

hilom diha is tumahimik ka nga but tumigil ka ba is already tagalog Mr.:Erm:

vbkelly
23rd June 2009, 20:14
Inday.........................you forgot Bading :Rasp::icon_lol::Rasp::icon_lol:

charing!

KeithD
23rd June 2009, 20:14
I get called ninong .....I never touched anyone honest :omg:

Tawi2
23rd June 2009, 20:15
:bigcry: Bullies :bigcry::ARsurrender:

Tawi2
23rd June 2009, 20:15

Could be worse,we could be called "Dong" :NoNo:Imagine having that shouted to you in the street :icon_lol:

Mrs Daddy
23rd June 2009, 20:20

:laugher::laugher::laugher:

bornatbirth
23rd June 2009, 22:06
i called my mom in law lola? she wasnt so pleased so now i call her mom :D

i guess calling some one ate or kuya depends on there age??? or how its meant would you use it if your still young?

charlwill
24th June 2009, 12:20
Whichever they're comfortable with. So far, I don't have problem here all my filipina friends called me "Ate" and they called my husband "Kuya" and some of them call him daddy.