PDA

View Full Version : Scotland's 1st-Ever Barrio Fiesta

Arthur Little
22nd June 2009, 11:22
:Hellooo: Forgive me for being "nosey"! But I am keen to hear if ANY of our Scotland-based membership had the pleasure of attending this momentous event at Glasgow's Kelvin Hall yesterday afternoon.

Replies/comments please ...

Tawi2
22nd June 2009, 12:50
Arthur,it wasnt so much an event as a none event,it wasnt held,or if it was all those attending were over the age of 90 and labelled as "Antiques" :Erm:

tiN
22nd June 2009, 17:06
:Hellooo: Forgive me for being "nosey"! But I am keen to hear if ANY of our Scotland-based membership had the pleasure of attending this momentous event at Glasgow's Kelvin Hall yesterday afternoon.

Replies/comments please ...

Hi Arthur,

We were supposed to be going but we couldnt make it. I think one of the member here turned up and saw an antique road show and not barrio fiesta :Erm::Erm:

I chatted to Myrna the other day and told me ur going??:Erm:

Regards.. x

james999
22nd June 2009, 17:38
Hi all im the member that turned up at the fiesta or no fiesta as i was driving up to the kelvin hall i was expecting to be seeing pinoy's approaching from all directions but not a one in sight which got me suspicious then as i got closer noticed advertising boards for an antiques fair so very disappointed im just glad my mahal wasn't with me as she would have been more disappointed than me , i had been telling her for weeks there was a fiesta in what i hope will be her new home city so for there not to be one left a bitter taste in the mouth just glad i didn't have to drive far as i live close to the kelvin hall

Sconnie
22nd June 2009, 17:44
does anyone know what went wrong ?

aromulus
22nd June 2009, 20:27

"Bing" Murphy's law strikes again............:icon_lol:

Arthur Little
23rd June 2009, 11:31
Arthur,it wasnt so much an event as a none event,it wasnt held,or if it was all those attending were over the age of 90 and labelled as "Antiques" :Erm:

No Del, it WAS held! Myrna & I were THERE. And, far from being a non-event, it drew large crowds from the "local" Filipino Community ... and, possibly further afield as well ... so that, by mid to late afternoon, the Kelvin Hall's main sports arena was pretty-well jam-packed with pinoys and pinays and their families - not to mention more than a few caucasians. Aside from the guest artistes, Randy and "Madonna" putting in an appearance towards the finale, there were numerous other talented young entertainers [some of pre-school age] who gave a more than creditable performance.:REDancedancer08:

:Erm: Yes, a sort of "Antiques Roadshow" WAS taking place simultaneously in another part of the building - and, it too, seemed busy. But, overall, I'd hazard a guess that the Fiesta attracted a bigger "audience" - despite the apparent lack of publicity (my only criticism of the event!).

Arthur Little
23rd June 2009, 11:39

NOTHING, John :NoNo: ... apart from perhaps insufficient advertising, both on the day, and beforehand!

filglas
25th June 2009, 21:35
Oh, thanks Arthur for being there,, and thanks that you were not disappointed..the Filglas community did not have enough time to promote the event because we only had 6 weeks preparation, i think with turned up and success,,it was not bad for first time organiser..so,,we are proud of it..

But surely next time we will give plenty of notice and perhaps, Arthur, you can be our contact there in Perth..We will honour and appreciate comments and suggestions to make our own Barrio Fiesta here in Scotland a big, memorable and successful event and to make a way to bring our culture even when we are away from home.