PDA

View Full Version : english tradition way

vbkelly
18th June 2009, 13:47
im just curious and i want to ask the couples here in the forum about the budgeting the money, because in philippine tradition husband the provider and the wife who's the one to budget the money. here in uk, How do you manage to budget your money in english tradition way? And how your husband / wife trust you about the money? like me and my hubby we work together and we pay our bills together and what we have left we save it, but our saving account is under my name.

jimeve
18th June 2009, 13:51
im just curious and i want to ask the couples here in the forum about the budgeting the money, because in philippine tradition husband the provider and the wife who's the one to budget the money. here in uk, How do you manage to budget your money in english tradition way? And how your husband / wife trust you about the money? like me and my hubby we work together and we pay our bills together and what we have left we save it, but our saving account is under my name.

I pay all the bills, she spends the money thats left. :ARsurrender:

Pepe n Pilar
18th June 2009, 14:03
He earns, i don't ; His money is our money; there is an account intended for savings and that is joint; same as for the bills.. Debit card is joint but, I have my own savings. So far there's no problem at all.

I guess even if they say there's an English and Filipino traditonal way of budgeting and on how couples manage their finances, it still depend on them. I have heard that in English way both share in paying all the bills but i've known a filipino couple who both earns well and are connected with a stable firm, the husband pays for the mortgage of the house whilst the wife pays for the food expenses. They have agreed to divide between them all the utility bills, school expenses for the children. A filipina married to a foreigner is incharge of all the bills, all the budgeting at home but husband is the one earning. They have a business. Perhaps it's up to the couple concerned what they have agreed upon.

:)

vbkelly
18th June 2009, 14:03
[QUOTE=jimeve;143219]I pay all the bills, she spends the money thats left. :ARsurrender:[/QUO

good for her:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Jay&Zobel
18th June 2009, 14:14
We have joint accounts (Savings & Current)...
All our bills are being paid by Direct Debits and/or by Standing Orders.

Mrs.JMajor
18th June 2009, 14:14
Since I am not working yet, and not intend to work at the moment cause my whole attention is to Jed, He pay all the bills and buy all the stuff, but once I work I told him I will buy our food and he pay all the bills, fair enough as in..... in the name of love, should be fair

Alan
18th June 2009, 14:17
My money is VERY easy to budget. I have none!!!:bigcry:

Al.:)

vbkelly
18th June 2009, 14:18
one time i said to my husband you know what baby your money is my money and my money is my money, and he said to me baby you got all my money i don't care what you gonna do that money as long as paid our bills

Mrs.JMajor
18th June 2009, 14:22
one time i said to my husband you know what baby your money is my money and my money is my money, and he said to me baby you got all my money i don't care what you gonna do that money as long as paid our bills

Sounds fair enough too, isnt it? Sweet thou or my hubby say "I dont worry about money, as I am more concern about you....."

And he said too...."Why filipina always talk about money? Bloody hell":icon_lol:

vbkelly
18th June 2009, 14:28
We have joint accounts (Savings & Current)...
All our bills are being paid by Direct Debits and/or by Standing Orders.

same here and the cash ISA, but the cash ISA at the moment 0.5% interest instead of 5.75% before the credit crunchs that's why we ended spend holiday twice a year and buy a property in pinas while cheaper.

mickcant
18th June 2009, 14:46
Hi all,:Hellooo:
Well this is an intresting thread as I have been wondering how my wife and I will arrange this when she joins me here in the UK.

I do realise that at home Filipinas are normally the ones who manage the money, but I also know that we have different prorities on what and when bills should be paid, plus I do know she will need to send some money home to help support her siblings, I knew that and of course acept it, but our commitments here must be met first.

I think we should go through the monthy income and outgoings together to start with but I expect she will take over as time goes by.:doh
We will just have to adjust ourselves to suite both of us:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Mick.

Pepe n Pilar
18th June 2009, 14:54

I agree Prof Alan....:xxgrinning--00xx3::icon_lol::Rasp:

vbkelly
18th June 2009, 14:54
Well this is an intresting thread as I have been wondering how my wife and I will arrange this when she joins me here in the UK.

I do realise that at home Filipinas are normally the ones who manage the money, but I also know that we have different prorities on what and when bills should be paid, plus I do know she will need to send some money home to help support her siblings, I knew that and of course acept it, but our commitments here must be met first.

I think we should go through the monthy income and outgoings together to start with but I expect she will take over as time goes by.:doh
Mick.

yeah that's right mick especially in the period of adjustment and filipinas sending money to family at home is normal to us bcoz we wanted to help them.

Jay&Zobel
18th June 2009, 15:14
I also know that we have different prorities on what and when bills should be paid,
plus I do know she will need to send some money home to help support her siblings,
I knew that and of course acept it,
but our commitments here must be met first.

Mick.

Yep!! We are now here in the UK and admit or not, it's very expensive living here.

filipinas sending money to family at home is normal to us bcoz we wanted to help them.

With regards to sustento/remittances, just give what you can afford.
Don't push your boundaries. We need to save for the rainy days here too! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
18th June 2009, 16:21

Ditto ...! But do I CARE? :NoNo:

adam&chryss
18th June 2009, 17:01

that's what i always say to my husband too :D

well same as others here.. our bills are being paid by direct debit.
he works and i don't. i let him handle the money, anyway i have nothing to spend coz i'm always just at home, if i need something i'll just tell him to buy it then he will. though he always give me like a weekly allowance, for me to spend at the small store near us or if i want to go in the town proper. he also gave me a credit card and on saturday we have an appointment in his bank to make his account as our joint account. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

DaveUK
18th June 2009, 17:55
Not sure what all the focus is regarding paying things with money. Once I'm married, I expect to be paying with my life! :D

Arthur Little
18th June 2009, 18:03
Ditto ...! But do I CARE? :NoNo:

Seriously, though, we ALL need money in order to survive. And I'm no exception! But, having said that, nowadays we live in a 'materialistic world' where wealth is revered as if it were "God".

My younger brother and I happened to be fortunate enough to have been brought-up in the immediate post-war era when few married women with young kids went out to work. Wages then, were proportionately very much lower in comparison with present day standards and yet, by and large, most families seemed content with their lot. My father was the breadwinner, whilst my mother budgeted the household income so as to afford to pay the rent, buy sufficient groceries to ensure we ate healthily and provide us with warm, good-quality clothing, to protect against the harsh winters of the 1950s. Such is the way it WAS [for the average family] back in those days.

In the 24 years I was married to my first wife - until her untimely death in 1991 - this pattern changed little. The fact that she suffered from severe rheumatoid arthritis throughout, meant we too, depended solely on the one salary - MINE - to support two adults and a corresponding number of children Yes, we MANAGED ... thanks to her skilful handling of our limited financial resources!

So, there really IS something to be said for the old maxim: "What you've never HAD :transam-front-ramai... you never miss!".

Tawi2
18th June 2009, 18:05
Not sure what all the focus is regarding paying things with money. Once I'm married, I expect to be paying with my life! :D

I like this answer :xxgrinning--00xx3:

IainBusby
18th June 2009, 18:06
I pay all the bills, she spends the money thats left. :ARsurrender:

Sounds about the same as us, but sometimes I have to try to pay the bills out of what's left over after she's bought her shoes, handbags, jeans, dresses etc.
Iain.

Tawi2
18th June 2009, 18:08
Money?Easy come,easy go,as long as your with the right,and please let me stress the right woman then anything else is icing on the cake,its not difficult to earn money of you put your mind to it,and a decent woman backing you up is a bonus :xxgrinning--00xx3:

DaveUK
18th June 2009, 18:18
I like this answer :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Not sure Yam will when she see's it! This could be one time when I'm glad there's 6000 miles between us! :D

Jay&Zobel
18th June 2009, 18:33
My father was the breadwinner, whilst my mother budgeted the household income so as to afford to pay the rent, buy sufficient groceries to ensure we ate healthily and provide us with warm, good-quality clothing, to protect against the harsh winters of the 1950s. Such is the way it WAS [for the average family] back in those days.

I was married to my first wife . thanks to her skilful handling of our limited financial resources!

I really like the olden times where the father was the breadwinner & mother was the housekeeper. But in this day & age, it's a bit tricky because both need to have jobs in order to live...

But I'm kind of experiencing this atm, as I am on maternity leave...hehe:Erm::Erm::D

So, there really IS something to be said for the old maxim: "What you've never HAD :transam-front-ramai... you never miss!".

I like this!!! Makes sense...:xxgrinning--00xx3: Cheers Arthur!

vbkelly
18th June 2009, 20:25
Yep!! We are now here in the UK and admit or not, it's very expensive living here.

With regards to sustento/remittances, just give what you can afford.
Don't push your boundaries. We need to save for the rainy days here too! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

yes you right, i only send a money to them if they need it otherwise we cant save a money for the future of our family.

nigel
18th June 2009, 21:10
Oooooh the word "budget" is one of them words me don't like!:icon_lol: I like to think of myself as a big rich guy!:REGamblMoney01HL1: My Vimvie tells me I'm a "one day millionaire!":icon_lol: I sometimes spend money we haven't got to spend so to speak and she gets mad!:icon_lol: Even if I bought something for her!:icon_lol:

My Vimvie talks of "keeping to a budget" but I personally think that there is no end of money to be made, there is no limit, if you focus on making money rather than "keeping to a budget" then the money you can make is infinate!:REGamblMoney01HL1: I'm not discouraged by this so called recession..

We get what we focus on in life, I'm always focusing on making money...I like to think that there's more and more coming in...

In my mind I live in a world of hope and possibilty!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I don't like to look at my life and say "this is my lot in life...this is all I have.."

If we are getting short of money then I look for ways of making more money...I don't want to walk down that road where we say "we must make a budget" I just don't think like that, and neither should you!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
18th June 2009, 22:31
Oooooh the word "budget" is one of them words me don't like!:icon_lol:

If we are getting short of money then I look for ways of making more money...I don't want to walk down that road where we say "we must make a budget" I just don't think like that, and neither should you!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

:doh That's all very well, Nigel. I don't care for the word any more than YOU do - with its connotations of constantly "tightening our belts" for the sake of making ends meet in the face of spiralling price rises. But we have to be realistic; the responsibility for *running a household [usually] devolves upon the wife and mother. And it is SHE who, at the end of the day, must be prepared to determine the "sacifices" to be made if *this is to be done effectively. Within the family unit, therefore, her role can be compared with that of "Chancellor of the Exchequer" and, in THIS context her function is seen as no less important ... or SHOULD be!

Arthur Little
18th June 2009, 23:00
I'm always focusing on making money...I like to think that there's more and more coming in..

... well, MY focus is - and always has been - on 'Peace of Mind' and maintaining a good, solid relationship with my loved ones (which NO amount of money can bring!). If I can continue to have THOSE, then I'll consider myself "richly" blest. :)

pennybarry
19th June 2009, 10:14
I was asked by my friends here why my hubby don't give me all his earnings to budget as their hubby did.
I said we have joint account savings. If there's excess, we put in joint.
Hubby said, all my earnings can be mine. He will pay all the bills, food, internet bills, etc. So I don't have headache budgeting.:xxgrinning--00xx3:
I have no bills at all for 3 years and that made hard to apply for debit card. They need any bills in my name and i have none. So they(Barclays) asked my Abbey's bank statement and the post code was wrong and it took 3 weeks to sort it out.:doh

islander
19th June 2009, 16:59
It all depends how the couple agrees in terms of financial management.

In our case, my hubby pays all the bills coz he earns more than I do. Although we both agreed sharing equally on food budget.... this is my only share/contribution in the house (need to do this so he won't say anything or complain if i'll be sending money home/phils., hehehe!)

So far, all is well for us financially!