PDA

View Full Version : in need of enlighhtenment

marikistin
15th June 2009, 19:26
hello everyone i have been a member of the site for a good while but havent been very active in here...even though this is the case i find the site very useful and a very helpful tool for good people to share there experiences to others.

here is my case i hope u can give some enlightenment on it:my husband is from northern ireland and we have been married in the philippines, our son was born here too, now we are preparing to register our son in the british embassy manila and also to get him a passport,my question is if you are from northern ireland is it is better to use the eea family permit route tho he had used his british passport in coming and going here and also we will register our son as british would this affect us if we are to use his irish citizenship to apply for the eea family permit so he can get us he both hav a british and irish passports, only the one he would use for travelling is his british passport and what else do we need to do before we apply for the permit,are the documents to be submitted for spouse visa is the same as in the family permit.i hope you can give some helpful tips for us.ty so much.

aromulus
15th June 2009, 20:16
hello everyone i have been a member of the site for a good while but havent been very active in here...even though this is the case i find the site very useful and a very helpful tool for good people to share there experiences to others.

here is my case i hope u can give some enlightenment on it:my husband is from northern ireland and we have been married in the philippines, our son was born here too, now we are preparing to register our son in the british embassy manila and also to get him a passport,my question is if you are from northern ireland is it is better to use the eea family permit route tho he had used his british passport in coming and going here and also we will register our son as british would this affect us if we are to use his irish citizenship to apply for the eea family permit so he can get us he both hav a british and irish passports, only the one he would use for travelling is his british passport and what else do we need to do before we apply for the permit,are the documents to be submitted for spouse visa is the same as in the family permit.i hope you can give some helpful tips for us.ty so much.

The documents required for a family permit are exactly the same as per Spouse Visa, no difference at all.

I strongly suggest the EEA application route, as, apart from being totally free of charge, will have better chances of success.

Arthur Little
15th June 2009, 20:47
I strongly suggest the EEA application route, as, apart from being totally free of charge, will have better chances of success.

:rolleyes: I'd been under the impression the EEA Family Permit was only valid for citizens of the Irish Republic, and that anyone from Northern Ireland would be ineligible on account of the north being part of the British Isles.

Correct me if I'm wrong in this assumption.

aromulus
15th June 2009, 20:52
:rolleyes: I'd been under the impression the EEA Family Permit was only valid for citizens of the Irish Republic, and that anyone from Northern Ireland would be ineligible on account of the north being part of the British Isles.

You are wrong I am afraid.:cwm24:

joebloggs
15th June 2009, 21:31

citizens of NI could apply for British and Irish passports, thou i think they changed it recently if your born after a certain date you can no longer claim Irish citizenship :Erm:

and as for your son, i don't think you need to register him at the embassy, couple of benefits if you do, but whether its worth it ? i don't know :Erm:

joebloggs
15th June 2009, 21:49
thou i think they changed it recently if your born after a certain date you can no longer claim Irish citizenship :Erm:

i think i'm wrong about that.. :D, but i know something had changed, what i dont remember :doh

Q. I was born and am living in Northern Ireland. I hold a UK passport. Am I an Irish citizen?

A. If one of your parents was an Irish or British citizen then you have an entitlement of Irish citizenship. This is also the case if either of your parents , immediately preceding your birth, had reckonable residence in the island of Ireland of three years in the previous four years or if either of your parents was entitled to reside in the State or Northern Ireland without any restrictions on his or her residence AND was entitled to diplomatic immunity. You don’t have to obtain an Irish passport in order to be an Irish citizen (though having an Irish passport is of course a convenient way of showing that you are an Irish citizen). As far as Irish law is concerned, there is no difficulty about holding Irish citizenship and at the same time citizenship of another State such as the United Kingdom.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000120#CBI05

Arthur Little
15th June 2009, 22:38
You are wrong I am afraid.:cwm24:

:ARsurrender: I stand corrected; apologies to all concerned.

Arthur Little
15th June 2009, 23:13

my question is if you are from northern ireland is it is better to use the eea family permit route?

Welcome to the forum. :Erm: Sorry if my previous post misled you in any way. Best to follow the suggestions of the two moderators - aromulus & joe Bloggs - both of whom are much more knowledgeable than me on the current regulations governing Irish citzenship in general.

Good luck :xxgrinning--00xx3: on probably saving yourself a small fortune.

irobot
15th June 2009, 23:28
Hey arthur fancy a chat on the chat server....

Arthur Little
15th June 2009, 23:43
Hey arthur fancy a chat on the chat server....

Thanks for the invitation, Phil. To be honest, I've never really been sure how to go about using the "chat" facility.:NoNo: Another time, perhaps ...

Jonnywina
16th June 2009, 22:28
I'm from northern ireland also. For example, worst case scenario for our application. we have applied for UK settlement visa but if rejected could we apply for EEA application route instead. What embassy does that go through in Manila. I was advise to go this way but as all my stamped entries are on my UK passport .. I chose the UK way instead.

marikistin
25th June 2009, 05:15
hello thank you so much to all of you who replied on my queries,aromulus,joe,arthur little,irobot and jonnywina. :)
aromulus,joe,i still have some few questions like will it affect if i register my son at the british embassy coz apart from havin his british style birth certificate and british passport he need not get eea family permit anymore instead it will just have to be me and our daughter...hope you can give more info on this thank you so much and good day to all of yous :)