PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a friend

cheesewiz
10th June 2009, 17:46
I post here before about my filipina friend when her husband died bec of cancer and left 3 minor children:NoNo:

I know how hard it is living in UK with 3 children, renting house, paying all the bills etc then she's the only one working. Last couple of days she ring me and tell me that she got a part time job as a cleaner (cash on hand) I warned her that we are not allowed to do diff job aside from being a carer unless we got a residence permit already not on a work permit visa, I am right?

She said to me that her other friends who lives in Devon (they contibuted money for her and kids to have a week holiday there) she got the idea of doing part time job bec most of her friends there whose on a work permit doing part time job too (cleaners in hotel etc) and they said its okay as long as you give diff bank account etc but she said that they are working not cash on hand they submitted their NI.

I am not happy with her decision to do the same thing bec when the HO found out that she's doing another job outside her work permit she will be in trouble. Right now she is working as a cleaner 2 hours/day. Do you think the HO will find out if they have a 2nd job if they applied for their ILR?

joebloggs
10th June 2009, 18:22
your right, your'e only suppose to do the same type of job. but if its cash in hand, then there is probably only a small risk of her getting caught.

This page explains if you are allowed to do any other work outside your normal hours for which your work permit allows.

A person who has a work permit is able to undertake work, provided:

it is outside of their normal working hours;
it is no more than 20 hours a week;
it is in the same profession and at the same professional level for which the holder's work permit was issued; and
they are not employed by a recruitment agency, employment agency or similar business to provide personnel to a client (does not apply to Sports and Entertainments work permit holders).
The work permit holder is not allowed to enter self-employment, set up a business or join another business as a director or partner without obtaining further permission from us.

Under the following categories of the work permit arrangements, work permit holders are not permitted to take supplementary employment. These are:

Business and Commercial and Sports and Entertainments multiple entry work permit holders;
Training and Work Experience Scheme; and
General Agreement on Trade in Services.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingintheuk/tier2/work-permit-holders/supplementaryemployment/

Arthur Little
10th June 2009, 18:29
I post here before about my filipina friend when her husband died bec of cancer and left 3 minor children:NoNo:

I know how hard it is living in UK with 3 children, renting house, paying all the bills etc then she's the only one working. Last couple of days she ring me and tell me that she got a part time job as a cleaner (cash on hand) I warned her that we are not allowed to do diff job aside from being a carer unless we got a residence permit already not on a work permit visa, I am right?

She said to me that her other friends who lives in Devon (they contibuted money for her and kids to have a week holiday there) she got the idea of doing part time job bec most of her friends there whose on a work permit doing part time job too (cleaners in hotel etc) and they said its okay as long as you give diff bank account etc but she said that they are working not cash on hand they submitted their NI.

I am not happy with her decision to do the same thing bec when the HO found out that she's doing another job outside her work permit she will be in trouble. Right now she is working as a cleaner 2 hours/day. Do you think the HO will find out if they have a 2nd job if they applied for their ILR?

First, let me say how sorry I am to learn about your friend's bereavement. It can't be easy for her :NoNo: having to juggle her work commitments with caring for three small children.

I'm afraid I don't know how she would stand as regards Home Office regulations, were she to go ahead with her plans to take on a second job in order to supplement her existing income. But it makes my blood boil :angry: to even think of all those MPs - the selfsame people who draw-up this country's rules - breaking public trust by defrauding 'the system' themselves through claiming thousands of pounds in unjustifiable expenses, whilst people like your friend are constantly struggling to earn an honest living for the sake of making ends meet.

Having said that, I'm glad you raised this issue, because there ARE members of the forum who CAN [and WILL] be able to guide you a lot better than I.

Tawi2
10th June 2009, 21:39
Sorry to hear about your friends bereavement Cheese,I know how it is to be a single parent,not easy at all,I also know how it affects a child to lose a parent.At least she seems to have a supportive network of friends around her,hope she is doing ok :xxgrinning--00xx3: