PDA

View Full Version : Tagalog

tala
8th June 2009, 23:41
Am interested in how many pinoy families actually speak tagalog at home?

My impression is most kids of pinoy families living outside of the Philippines can barely understand and speak tagalog?

True or not?

maria_and_matt
9th June 2009, 07:31
true.. i wish i had taught my son my own language when he was young.. i never really did see the point in teaching him before but boy i wish i did! now he learns watching shows at tfc...

Jay&Zobel
9th June 2009, 14:17
true.. i wish i had taught my son my own language when he was young.. i never really did see the point in teaching him before but boy i wish i did! now he learns watching shows at tfc...

Yep, that was my dilemma at 1st whether to teach my son our own language or not. But I think it will be good. Like us in the PI, inside the house we speak in our local dialect (Bikol, Waray, Bisaya, etc), in the classrooms/outside we were taught how to speak Tagalog & English! Isn't that brilliant, us being able to speak 3 different languages? :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

I don't know how brain works but it certainly does hehe:D:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::omg::D

maria_and_matt
9th June 2009, 14:32
Yep, that was my dilemma at 1st whether to teach my son our own language or not. But I think it will be good. Like us in the PI, inside the house we speak in our local dialect (Bikol, Waray, Bisaya, etc), in the classrooms/outside we were taught how to speak Tagalog & English! Isn't that brilliant, us being able to speak 3 different languages? :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

I don't know how brain works but it certainly does hehe:D:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::omg::D

the sooner you teach them the better ..

tala
18th June 2009, 22:54
yes, i would have really liked to "teach" my children to speak tagalog.
i am trying a bit pero i find it difficult kasi their dad is not pinoy.

they know some tagalog words - counting, bango at baho, and some songs
- tong, tong, pakitong-kitong :D

anyway, i'm doing research for my thesis on pinoy families living overseas and how much tagalog is spoken in their families.

if you are willing to help with the research please answer the survey i devised.
it's online and only I get to see the responses.

malaking 10Q in advance!
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=uPd3uLdhiZ3bqNhqXxNe6w_3d_3d

Ji&Ma
18th June 2009, 23:02

anyway, i'm doing research for my thesis on pinoy families living overseas and how much tagalog is spoken in their families.

if you are willing to help with the research please answer the survey i devised.

malaking 10Q in advance!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Be careful with links Tala as you are newbie you should ask admin or one of mods for permission first...

tala
19th June 2009, 00:26
Thanks for the heads up.
I'll do just that.

Mrs.JMajor
19th June 2009, 00:29
Be careful with links Tala as you are newbie you should ask admin or one of mods for permission first...

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

tala
19th June 2009, 00:31
just showing more of my ignorance,
can someone tell me how i can find out from a moderator if it's ok to post a link?

:Help1:

Mrs.JMajor
19th June 2009, 00:33
can someone tell me how i can find out from a moderator if it's ok to post a link?

No worries, if they saw it and think its not a right link, they will just delete it and warn you on thier post by now, so next time b4 you post link, send visitor message to one of the Moderator or Admin
:)

Ji&Ma
19th June 2009, 00:37

Just ask in one of your posts or you can send them visitors message (or private one if you have rights already) in their profile (Win2Win, Aromulus....)
I'm sure they will reply to you sooner or later...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

tala
19th June 2009, 00:38
oh, ok. thanks, i'll just wait and see then.
i'm new to forums (so obvious)
and the link to the survey is for my thesis.

i'm thinking of spending this weekend,
at the pinoy cafe's (there are 2 in belfast)
to get more responses for my research.

hope everything goes well,
medyo mahiyain kasi ako.:)

tala
19th June 2009, 00:45
yup, posted a message to one of the mods.
awaiting response....

for parents out there,
what do you think is the best way to teach your kids to speak in tagalog?
do give me tips and i'll try them on my kids.

thejarvs
19th June 2009, 06:27
Hi tala, I've taken your survey pero a few minor details:

Q2: I wanted a middle answer I wouldn't describe my tagalog fluency as 'Not well' or 'Well' but some where in the middle.

Q3: The word 'Also' is not needed, I'm not filipino but my partner is filipina.

Q6: I wanted to answer 'Mix of English and Filipino' for all 3 of us.

I would be interested in the results tala, we are trying to teach Raffy English, Tagalog and Chinese.

aromulus
19th June 2009, 07:39
yup, posted a message to one of the mods.
awaiting response....

Thank you for that.:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Unfortunately I had to edit the link after having checked it.:NoNo:

If you can rehash the form, so that it does not ask for e-mail address and names, I will pass it.

This is to protect any of our members here from receiving spam and inappropriate mails.

There are numerous bots on the net looking for things like that.:doh

adam&chryss
19th June 2009, 08:32
well, my 5 years old son speaks tagalog before we were here.. now we've been here for more than 4months, he speaks english very well. everytime i speak to him tagalog he answers me back in english. and he already forgot some of the tagalog words.
i talk to him and also to our new son english mixed with tagalog. just because i'm having nosebleed talking straight english :icon_lol:
kidding aside... i thinks it's best to teach them our own language too. they might not speak tagalog but at least they will understand the language. so wether we are here or in Pinas, no one can fool them :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Mrs Daddy
19th June 2009, 18:52
Am interested in how many pinoy families actually speak tagalog at home?

My impression is most kids of pinoy families living outside of the Philippines can barely understand and speak tagalog?

True or not?
True but sometimes its up to parents to teach them bilingual

somebody
19th June 2009, 22:33
Its of course good to teach Children both Parents mother tongues and any other languages come to think of it.

But from friends who lived in bilingual households or both parents many wanted to learn what their friends spoke. Some parents seem to try to hard to make their Children learn the mother tongue. Youths being youths many will want to do the opposite.

Many friends and workmates from various cultures seem to almost rebel and hardly speak a word of their mother tongue. Many now regret this action:NoNo:

Jay&Zobel
20th June 2009, 11:25

malaking 10Q in advance!
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=uPd3uLdhiZ3bqNhqXxNe6w_3d_3d

Hi Tala,
Took your survey! But did not answer number 7: Thinking of your children , how well can they speak Filipino: as my child can barely talk hehe (he's 2mos old)... also did not put our personal details for security reasons... :xxgrinning--00xx3:

tala
20th June 2009, 23:55
Hi Tala,
Took your survey! But did not answer number 7: Thinking of your children , how well can they speak Filipino: as my child can barely talk hehe (he's 2mos old)... also did not put our personal details for security reasons... :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks for the responding to the survey. It really helps.

Just to keep your mind at peace,
all these responses are not posted on the web,
all the responses are available only to me through a secure account.

Leaving personal details out is fine too.
I put them in to show my supervisor (at uni) that I am not making the responses up.:)

tala
21st June 2009, 00:00
Hi tala, I've taken your survey pero a few minor details:

Q2: I wanted a middle answer I wouldn't describe my tagalog fluency as 'Not well' or 'Well' but some where in the middle.

Q3: The word 'Also' is not needed, I'm not filipino but my partner is filipina.

Q6: I wanted to answer 'Mix of English and Filipino' for all 3 of us.

I would be interested in the results tala, we are trying to teach Raffy English, Tagalog and Chinese.

Thanks for responding to the survey and the tips on the questionnaire.
I can only limit some parts of it because responses already exist.
So I was able to revise Q3 but I won't be able to revise Q2 and Q6.

What I will do is take note of what you would like your responses for Q2 and Q6 to be when I tally it.
I will post anonymous results when I have completed this survey.
It could still be open for another month...
but I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!:)

tala
21st June 2009, 00:12
Thank you for that.:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Unfortunately I had to edit the link after having checked it.:NoNo:

If you can rehash the form, so that it does not ask for e-mail address and names, I will pass it.

This is to protect any of our members here from receiving spam and inappropriate mails.

There are numerous bots on the net looking for things like that.:doh

Thanks for the heads up. I tried to remove the fields in the form that asks for contact details but I am not able to as responses already exist. What I have done is added these lines to this question so that respondents are aware not to provide their email addresses and actual names.

"For security purposes, please read the notes regarding your details.
1. Please do not give your full name. A name (any name) to link the responses will do.
2. In regards to the email address field and phone number field, no response is required. I am not able to remove these fields at this point."

I am not sure how bots work but no part of the responses are actually posted on a public-access website.

Responses are accessed through my personal secure account. So I suppose the information is as secure as people's details stored on a yahoo email account address book.

Please let me know if the above still poses problems...
and I will try my best to rectify.

Thanks!

tala
21st June 2009, 00:17
Its of course good to teach Children both Parents mother tongues and any other languages come to think of it.

But from friends who lived in bilingual households or both parents many wanted to learn what their friends spoke. Some parents seem to try to hard to make their Children learn the mother tongue. Youths being youths many will want to do the opposite.

Many friends and workmates from various cultures seem to almost rebel and hardly speak a word of their mother tongue. Many now regret this action:NoNo:

I found in my research that it is common for children to refuse to speak in the "mother tongue". Apparently, it is related to the negative perception that their "mother tongue" is an inferior language.

For Filipinos, I believe this is something we should fight against.
It is terrible because I myself would find I communicate more in English than in Filipino or Tagalog. This is the result of the negative perception and if it continues, I'm afraid it could mean that our language will eventually get so diluted it will become Taglish rather than Tagalog!

tala
21st June 2009, 00:21
True but sometimes its up to parents to teach them bilingual

I always believed that and here I am with 2 kids who are NOT bilingual.
One is 5 and she knows some words and some songs but not fluent.
She rarely ever hears me speak Tagalog as I get to speak to people at home maybe once a month.

The other is 2 and again no strong Tagalog there.
The problem is - I don't how to start and how to keep it constant.

So how does one incorporate language lessons with their kids?

tala
21st June 2009, 00:27
well, my 5 years old son speaks tagalog before we were here.. now we've been here for more than 4months, he speaks english very well. everytime i speak to him tagalog he answers me back in english. and he already forgot some of the tagalog words.
i talk to him and also to our new son english mixed with tagalog. just because i'm having nosebleed talking straight english :icon_lol:
kidding aside... i thinks it's best to teach them our own language too. they might not speak tagalog but at least they will understand the language. so wether we are here or in Pinas, no one can fool them :xxgrinning--00xx3:

ah, you're doing well! i envy you.
in the last 10 years i have probably spoken tagalog for a total of 6 months.
- only when i am at home to visit family!

keep going at it. it's very important to your children's language development to give Filipino a boost. Apparently, they will need to know that the Filipino culture and language is as important as the English culture and language.

So this means for my 5 yr old more daing, dilis, champorado at ensaymada
and staying up to midnight for media noche on nye and noche buena on christmas eve!

Mrs.JMajor
21st June 2009, 10:07
Apparently, they will need to know that the Filipino language is as important as the English culture and language.

I had my friend, shes in Hawaii together w/ her family, all her children grow up in Hawaii, when they visit PI, her kids managed to deal w/ other kids and she said she dont mind teaching her kids Tagalog, they wouldnt earn money learning kids tagalog language :doh