PDA

View Full Version : The Settlement Interview - How to prepare

ginapeterb
13th November 2004, 00:04
The Settlement Interview - How to Prepare

It is more than likely that if you apply for entry clearance to the United Kingdom, that you will have to at some stage attend the British Embassy in Manila for an interview with an ECO.

Most readers seem to be under the impression that this is a formality, they could not be more wrong, it is far from it, some of our male readers on the forum are under the impression that they can just apply for a visa, and just allow their wife or fiancée to ad lib it at the embassy, this is not a good move, for one thing, the Entry clearance officers are held responsible to uphold the immigration rules of UK entry clearance.

Their job is to ensure that the rules for granting a visa are complied with, in this case the visa being applied for is

“Someone who wishes to enter the United Kingdom who is a spouse or who intends to marry someone who is settled in the United Kingdom”.

What does this mean ?

It means that the Applicant is actually the person who wishes to enter the United Kingdom, and not the sponsor, who tends to be the British man who is entering into such a relationship, so understand the following:

1. The Sponsor is the British man.

2. The Applicant is the Filipina wife or Fiancée.

It is the Applicant who has to make the application, and has to sign it as such, she is responsible for the accuracy of all information, although some of the information on form VAFW 2002 is actually about the sponsor, the sponsor by nature has to provide the financial support and provide satisfactory accommodation in the UK.

So for those readers who are concerned about the process of application, there are 2 stages to this.

1. The Application and lodgement of such an application at the British Embassy in Manila.

2. The Settlement Interview.

The first process is self explanatory, and there is plenty of information on the Forum about this process, so I do not propose to write about this again.

It is the 2nd stage that I am wishing to write about, this is known as the “Settlement Interview”, what is this all about, and what should you do about it.

Well firstly, once your spouse/fiancée has submitted her application, by either personal submission or using the CAVA system, (CAVA see submission of application in other areas of the forum)

The British Embassy will no doubt have given the applicant a date for her attendance at the British Embassy.

Firstly, if the applicant does not speak very good English, this may be a slight disadvantage, for one thing, it is better if the interview is conducted in English rather than local languages, or Tagalog.

If the applicant wishes the interview to be conducted in Tagalog, a translator will be present during the interview, also the interview will be held privately between the ECO and the applicant, it is unlikely that the sponsor will be allowed to the interview, although it may seek to help If the sponsor is in the embassy waiting and the ECO is made aware of this.

The applicant should be smartly dressed, and on time for the interview, lateness and all sorts of excuses will fall on deaf ears, its no point in saying Trafik ng Trafik sa Ayala, it will fall on deaf ears.

There are literally thousands of applicants every month, if you are to be there for 10.10am in the morning, then be there.

What form will the interview take ?

The interview will be conducted behind a glass screen for the ECO, therefore if the applicant is unable to hear any questions, she should ask for it to be repeated, the ECO will be taking notes, this is nothing to fear, notes are always taken, as a complete transcript of the interview must be taken, in the event that a visa is refused, and the matter is referred automatically to the Immigration Appellate authority in the UK.

Whatever the ECO does, this is not a cause for alarm, he or she will be scribbling notes on different occasions, he or she may disappear to go out of the interview for a moment or two, this may be to consult with a colleague, it is not to be taken as a problem, in other words, alarm bells should not be ringing.

Being on this type of interview is very similar in many ways to what happens in a criminal trial, whatever you see in front of you, your body language should show that you expected it to happen.

Often body language and confidence, goes a long way to satisfying the ECO that a relationship is genuine, this is why I recommend that all interviews are conducted in English, then there is no chance of the applicant replies to questions being translated by a Filipino speaker who has no interest in your application.

So What sort of things do they want to know ?

Firstly, the ECO wants to satisfy themselves that a genuine relationship exists between the applicant and the sponsor, if there is any doubt, the visa may be refused, and left to the immigration appellate authority to sort out, this may take months to get a 2nd hearing in UK.

So lets move the odds into your favour, how can you shift the odds towards a positive result, if the ECO is satisfied that a entry clearance visa is to be issued, then your partner will be asked to come back in the afternoon or the next day to collect her passport, but don’t try and book her ticket just yet, there are one or two things that have to be done before she can climb aboard the aircraft.

How to get a positive result !

Be prepared, preparation for this stage of the process if the most important and loving thing you can do for your partner, leaving her to go on the interview without any help is not a very nice thing for her, she may be shy, some Filipino’s are shy of authority, she may feel intimidated by her surroundings, this being the British Embassy, she may be in fear of refusal when there is no need to be, in truth she may have a lot of things going around her mind.

Preparation goes a long way to helping her to get through the interview, which could be anything from 15 minutes to 4 hours, depending on the answers given, and the level of satisfaction that the entry clearance officer needs.

So how do you prepare.

Firstly our Forum Administrator Keith and myself have both said in the past, you need lots of evidence of relationship, and it does help if this evidence is close to hand when asked to produce it, if your partner, the applicant wife/fiancée is expected to produce this, then make it easy for her, by placing it in a nice file that she can immediately go to the relative section.

She will need a couple of photo albums of the two of you together.

She will need evidence of your travel to the Philippines, and also, evidence of close contact, I.e. phone cards, e mail transcripts, yahoo chat transcripts, some of these or all may not be required, but the more evidence that you have the better you are prepared.

So she has the evidence, this is available to her, and when asked for it, she can offer it to the ECO for scrutiny.

She is then likely to be asked a series of questions, these questions are designed to find out if the relationship is genuine, that the two of you have met, and that there is a reasonable chance that the two of you intend to live together in the UK as man and wife, and that this application is not just a cover up for an economic migration.

Some of the questions themselves may be an attempt to see how one reacts to a question, or to test the applicants knowledge of her partner, in any event all questions need answering, sometimes depending on how she will answer, may be a disaster and could lead to a refusal.

Therefore it is my best advice, that you should print off a copy of my advices here, and in truth you really need to “Coach” your partner and teach her how to answer the questions so as to obtain the most positive result.

So how about the questions ? Here they are some are straight forward others may need explaining, which I will seek to do.

1. Is this your first application for a visa ?

2. Have you applied for any other visa to go to other countries ?
This question may be an attempt to find out if the applicant has done this before, or has been engaged to another man, it may be an attempt to see if the applicant has made a habit of doing this in the past.

3. Have you ever been refused a visa ?

4. Is this your first visit overseas ?

If the applicant has visited an overseas destination before and has returned, without being a flight risk, this may go positively towards a decision.

5. Is this your first and only passport.

6. How long do you intend to stay in the UK ?

This question is no doubt a red herring, the replies to this, may be documented, it could be answered in many ways, but someone in a genuine relationship will probably say “As long as my husband’s career demands”, or similar.
Again it should be noted there are no wrong or right answers, it is simply a process of looking at the applicants motives for applying for a visa.

7. Why do you want to go to UK ?

Well this is self explanatory, for example if the applicant were to say

“For a better life”

Then its clear to the ECO that being with her husband or fiancé was not even given a mention, this would be a bad answer, and if the answers continue in that direction, will no doubt lead to a refusal to grant a visa.

A good answer would have been “To be settled with my husband and to care for him”

8. I suppose if you get your visa, you will be looking forward to a better life in the UK ?

Again common sense here will prevail, its not much good in saying yes to that, a more detailed response is needed such as:

I will be looking forward to living with my husband, and caring for him, (you could be really confident and say) I know once he has me with him, he is in for a much better life than he has now), again, confidence in replying is everything.

9. Would you still have married your husband if you could not live in the UK ?

Use your head here, of course if you said no to this, that’s a outright refusal question, anyone with an ounce of sense is not going to say no to this.

10. What will you do if this visa is refused ?

This is known as the classic red herring question, its purpose we all suspect is to put you on the back foot, or make you feel intimidated, its design is to see if you say, oh well if its refused I will not go through with the marriage or something along those lines, the correct response is to just say, well ok, if it is, it will be difficult for my husband and I but we will find a way of being together.

Meeting Questions.

1. When did you first meet your partner ?

This is just designed to trap you, in case you have never met your partner.

2. How did you meet your partner ?

3. Did you stay with him when you met ?

4. So how long where you with him ?

5. Did he write or call you ??

Obviously this is where your evidence of letter writing comes in, and obviously your call longs, calling cards, etc, will support your answers.

6. When was his first letter to you ?

Again I have been telling you boys out there, about letter writing, the longer the gap in postmarks, the longer the relationship, if she has the very first letter to the most recent showing a long relationship, all the better, for you.

7. Do you have any photos to show me ?

Here we go again, now she has all your photo albums, this is the time to produce them.

8. When did your husband or fiancé propose to you ?

9. Did you ask him to marry you ?

I mean come on be serious about this, if she replies yes to this, that is a dead ringer for refusal, she might say, hey, that’s not a girls job, hmmm whats a girl to do, if she has to do that.

Family Questions.

Have either of you been married before ?

This is not likely so in her case, but it may be in yours, it help if she knows your personal history, if she doesn’t, then why doesn’t she know ? What else are you hiding in the background.

Do you have any children ?

If the applicant has children, and there is no mention of them on the application, this is a bad move, always tell the embassy exactly the truth.

Does your husband have any children from a previous relationship ?

Again it helps if the applicant is aware of your personal history, this is in case, she may be required to help with the children.

Occupation questions.

What qualifications do you have ?

Have you ever worked abroad ?

Where do you live ?

Do you know if its ok for your husband to have a second person living with him ?

Does your husband or partner send you money ?

Little note here, if you are not sending “Sustento” for your loved one, this may be not looked at nicely, if you are not supporting your wife, or fiancée, it might not go well towards a visa being issued.

Do you think your husband/fiancé will be able to take care of your needs ?

Personal motive questions.

These questions are apparently famous for dropping the whole interview in the waste bin, as you will see, there are no wrong or right answers.

1. What do you have in common ?

This is a question that is offered to find out how much the applicant knows about the sponsor, this is not a time to be scratching your head, you must be ready to answer this question properly.

2. Why did you marry him ?

This is the ultimate in making sure you don’t put your foot in it, the applicant can always say “I marry him for the sex” but then again, probably not a good idea, in truth, a personal statement of love, would be the best answer.

3. What do you like most about him ?
Again, if the applicant knows the sponsor, this will be an easy question to answer, just talk about his qualities.

4. What is the real reason you want to marry him ?

Again a final test to see if the applicant is not being truthful, just be firm and confess your love for the Sponsor.

5. How do you feel about the differences in culture. ?

Again, a modest answer here will do, just stating that you think that you both understand one another cultural differences, that will be find.

Have you understood all the questions.

If you have, fine then just reply yes, at this stage, the ECO will no doubt have formed an opinion, on what they think the answer will be to the application, they will have taken various notes, and if satisfied, will most probably tell the applicant to come back later, and collect the visa.

If a visa is refused the applicant will be told, that the ECO is not at that stage satisfied with the evidence both documentary and the interview, the applicant will be given a notice of refusal and then the matter will go to appeal at the Immigration Appellate authority.

However if the evidence is compelling and the interview preparation was good, there is no reason if the relationship is genuine why a visa cannot be issued.

I hope this clears up the situation, for many interested readers, but the key is as always throughout all my articles :

BE PREPARED.

mdelg55
29th November 2004, 01:31
Hi Pete is Maurizio...hope you are well.
Sorry for been long to chat with you.But I ve been busy and also in Italy for a week.
This is just to tell you how Me and Richie are getting on with our love life and the Uk Embassy.
I did send al what she need 3 weeks or so ago by courier I use "Federal Exspress" I paid only £52.00 but it was worthed.
They collect the documents from my work on Thursday and by Saturday Afternoon they were delivered To my Girlfriend place in Davao City.
last week Richie called the CAVA UK telephone number and lats week on Saturday they Courier from Abolitz Exspress pick all the fee and documents to bring tothe UK embassy in Manila.yerstarday saturday 26 November she received everything back from the same courier.She have been given an appointment on the 2nd February 2005..The only questions they ask about me is the date of Birth of my late father and the embassy return the cash money fees for The Visa and said that she mist on the date of the interview bring with her a manager cheque for 28.200 or so pesos .(fees went up I guess).I will myself go to The Philippines and flight out on the 23rd January cause I want to make sure she will be trained for the questions they might ask her..
Now we hope for the best...Talk to you soon maurizio

Admin
29th November 2004, 11:34
They make it all sound like a life or death exam, but actually it's a friendly and relaxed interview. Tell her to just be herself, a little humour is good (not the Chubby Brown type :o).

If your there when the interview takes place, they will probably call you in, but this is a good thing, and they like to meet the potential 'mate' as it proves it is not a setup.

ginapeterb
29th November 2004, 13:42
Hey Maurizio, great news buddy, glad to hear all the papers went ok..good to see Forum Moderators meeting with members to complete their papers, this is good evidence that this forum has helped people, in many ways, certainly enjoyed that meeting at Liverpool Street Station London, back then Maurizio, thought you had got lost, or gone off the face of the earth, lost your numbers Maurizio and wanted to pop into your restaraunt in Paddington, but lost the address.

Come back to me with the details, so I can pop in and see you. so it looks like the fees have gone up, I am in the Embassy again In January, so I will get an update on the fees, then for everyone, great that Richie got a interview appointment for 2nd February, thats great, so its only about 8 weeks or so...which is good news, hope that goes well for you buddy, if you go with her as Keith has nicely pointed out, I think it would be a good idea, they might then call you in, I'm definately going for Gina's interview, I think its always wise to do that, seems to go down well.

Admin
30th November 2004, 00:21
seems to go down well.

I wish i could say the same for the fish head curry ;D

Rob4Elsa
30th November 2004, 16:43
Hi Keith and gang,

I've just joined this forum, and have found the information here very helpful. My wife Elsa is hoping to file her VAF2003 in January sometime. However, having read the advice in this thread about being prepared, I am a little worried that when Elsas interview comes up, and they ask for "photo albums", will it be a problem if she only has about 8 pictures she can use of the 2 of us - in the 18 months we've been together we havent really taken many pictures. Also we tend to email everyday, and I will get plenty of those printed out ready, but we don't have many postal letters to show, apart from birthdays, christmas, etc.

Keep up the good work!

Btw Keith I read your from N. Wales, (I'm from Aberystwyth area), but sorry if I'm barking up the wrong tree, but on my return trip from Philippines back to Manchester in September, I sat next to a filipina who is married to a guy named Keith from Bangor...was that you!?

ginapeterb
30th November 2004, 19:46
Rob, thanks for your contribution, on the matter of

Evidence of Relationship..its a hard one because you may get away with a couple of photos, you might not, the point to stress here is the more evidence the better.

If you only have a couple of photos together, that maybe ok, who's to say it wont be ? we are just trying to say look.

The more evidence you have, it maans there is little or no grey area for establishing a relationship.

A quick photo shoot gives the impression of an arranged marriage...

You ought to have some albums, of the two of you together, you need letters lots of them, this is where you get caught out, ask keith, he had a sack full, ask me...I have tons of them, we both have...she has more than I do

Letters and lots of them, are a great way to establish a long relationship

Read my section on "Evidence of Relationship" in the Courting and Relationships section.

Best of luck

Admin
30th November 2004, 20:49
Their is one word for 'proof or relationship' and that is 'overwhelm'! If they ask for it, include it, and more. If they don't ask for it, but you consider it proof, then include it. The more effort they see, the more happier they are ;D (see that is one smiling now ::))

What would a scouser be doing in Manchester? Apart from the wire & semtex thingy 8) :o

I'm to good for public transport, all those common dirty folk. Give me a good clean Motorhead concert any day :P

I moved to Wales in '96, had enough of thieves and smackheads. Strange that when I moved, the old area quietened down ::)

walesrob
26th January 2005, 23:07
Hi all,

I'm Rob L as above, but I lost my username and password so I got a new one.

Anyway, just to let you know my asawa Elsa has her spouse visa interview at the British Embassy Manila on February 2nd. I'm flying out on a one-way :o with Gulf Air via Bahrain on Sunday 30th, and providing everything goes well at the interview, I'll be bringing her home about 2 weeks after.

Will keep the forum posted.

(For the £260 visa fee they better blinkin' well issue the visa
8) )

Admin
26th January 2005, 23:28
Strange, the wife's niece had hers for the 2nd Feb as well, but the embassy has put it back a month!

It's usually cheaper to buy two opened returns, than singles.

walesrob
27th January 2005, 01:19
Strange, the wife's niece had hers for the 2nd Feb as well, but the embassy has put it back a month!

It's usually cheaper to buy two opened returns, than singles.

Keith I tried looking for openended returns, but because Elsa is flying one-way from Philippines, it got very complicated and very expensive (and according to some airlines not possible for some "reasons"), so I got my one-way Gulf Air for just £250, and then I'll be buying 2 one-ways to return, probably flying back via Hong Kong, where VS/BA/CX only charge £200 one-way each. Ticket prices are of course much cheaper from outside the UK.

Admin
27th January 2005, 18:42
Looks like I''l be back in Singapore for the Cup (big horse race) in May, and as SIA are also including a free stopover flight I may spend a few days in Thailand, or somewhere....or I may just want to get to Singapore ;D

Can't be bothered calling into Manilla for the day ::)

peterdavid
27th January 2005, 22:16
Keith I tried looking for openended returns, but because Elsa is flying one-way from Philippines, it got very complicated and very expensive (and according to some airlines not possible for some "reasons"), so I got my one-way Gulf Air for just £250, and then I'll be buying 2 one-ways to return, probably flying back via Hong Kong, where VS/BA/CX only charge £200 one-way each. Ticket prices are of course much cheaper from outside the UK.

Rob,

If you're buying tickets in the Philippines, Cathy Pacific do a discounted fair for filipinas travelling to the UK for the first time for settlement - it's about a third of the price of a standard Manila - London cathay fair. I don't know any other airline that do this, singapore don't - and it's only available if you're buying in the philippines for emigrating filipinas (and I guess filipinos too).

Probably worth checking out if you're buying tickets home from there.

Good luck with the interview.

walesrob
3rd February 2005, 06:10
Rob,

Good luck with the interview.

OK, Elsa had the interview yesterday. It seems she has the visa, but they will call her in 3 weeks. I think maybe it because they need to do some checks as her last passport was stolen. Whats a bit worrying is that the Embassy took away my bank statements and payslips and will not return them until the 3 weeks review is up. I don't know what the problem is, but Elsa told me that out of 50 who had visa interviews yesterday, 47 were refused/denied and only Elsa and 2 others were ok, but all told they would be contacted in 3 weeks. It must have been Black Wednesday!! Either that or Immigration are getting very strict and/or they ran out of visa quotas hmmm.

So now I gotta find a one-way back to cold wet United Kingdom alone. What joy. Its 36 today in Manila, the sun is shining......

ginapeterb
3rd February 2005, 14:03
I find that hard to beleive that 47 out of 50 were outright refused...seems a little odd...we have heard these stories before...and they tend to be over zealous. good luck with it..well as you say its back to UK.

Admin
3rd February 2005, 19:05
The wife's niece who got her's today said their were plenty of woman who's English husbands were downstairs, and came out the interview in tears, obviosuly refused.

I think this is more because the UK goverement keep changing the rules, and people can't keep up with what is required. On top of that, they probably have not done everything in the right order if they married in the Philippines.

They obviously never visited this site ;D

ginapeterb
3rd February 2005, 19:29
Do we have any feedback for the reasons for refusal ? thats the problem its ok saying "They were refused" what we need is details of why such a visa was declined, in any event a written reasons have to be given for any refusal, and it has to be reviwed in 24 hours.

By a line Manager, or is this a case of the Embassy ECO's being deliberately obstructive, I wonder ..... Manila and Bangkok are paticiularly known for being obstructive.

Although I was told they are getting better, although according to Rockman his only took 15 minutes to be issued.

Its a shame we cant get any feedback from people who have been declined, in other words, what were the written reasons for refusal.

The only reasons should be either:

The ECO is not satisfied that the couple intend to live together as man and wife, or the applicant has not satisfied the ECO that they intend to settle as man and wife.

Or that they applicant may be a burden on public funds.

Or has not got adequate accomodation to live in.

I cant see any other reasons for refusal, if the paperwork is wrong regarding the marriage procedures in the Philippines I see no reason to refuse a visa, other than to get the applicant to reapply with the correct paperwork.

Hmmm we need some honest feedback from people.

peterdavid
3rd February 2005, 22:52
I find that hard to beleive that 47 out of 50 were outright refused...seems a little odd...we have heard these stories before...and they tend to be over zealous. good luck with it..well as you say its back to UK.

It would make sense if the 47 were for visit visas. They almost always get refused - I don't know why the British embassy even bothers with the illusion of offering one - they won't give it out to a filipino, unless they can prove they're so stinking rich that they wouldn't be living in the philippines unless they wanted to in the first place. Visit visas are a right scam there - happy to take the money, very reluctant to issue.

ginapeterb
3rd February 2005, 23:05
I spoke to others today, its more likely that the lots of english husbands one...was probably one or two...more likely the lots of tears...were only a few tears..and its likely that many who go with incorrect paperwork get refused because they have not taken the time to follow our web site here, and think cos they are Brits and they should get a visa no problem and its a simple process.

I would imagine that this is more likely to be the case, incorrect paperwork and lack of evidence of relationship, probably is the key.

peterdavid
3rd February 2005, 23:06
Do we have any feedback for the reasons for refusal ? thats the problem its ok saying "They were refused" what we need is details of why such a visa was declined, in any event a written reasons have to be given for any refusal, and it has to be reviwed in 24 hours.

By a line Manager, or is this a case of the Embassy ECO's being deliberately obstructive, I wonder ..... Manila and Bangkok are paticiularly known for being obstructive.

Although I was told they are getting better, although according to Rockman his only took 15 minutes to be issued.

Its a shame we cant get any feedback from people who have been declined, in other words, what were the written reasons for refusal.

The only reasons should be either:

The ECO is not satisfied that the couple intend to live together as man and wife, or the applicant has not satisfied the ECO that they intend to settle as man and wife.

Or that they applicant may be a burden on public funds.

Or has not got adequate accomodation to live in.

I cant see any other reasons for refusal, if the paperwork is wrong regarding the marriage procedures in the Philippines I see no reason to refuse a visa, other than to get the applicant to reapply with the correct paperwork.

Hmmm we need some honest feedback from people.

Yes, I think ECOs are deliberately obstructive, especially in cases where the english guy has been living in England and the filipina in the philippines.

I am a lawyer in the uK - I have friends who are immigration lawyers and manila and bangkok embassies are known throughout the profession as being particularly obstructive and harsh and downright unpleasant. They have also told me that a good proportion of successful appeals are overturning ridiculously harsh decisions of manila and bangkok ECOs, more than other embassies. If there is the slightest reason they can find to refuse an application, they will. Not following the correct procedure in the philippines in terms of getting married will mean they will definitely refuse, even though they know it will most likely be overturned on appeal. Firstly, they know that appealing is ery time consuming and expensive for the applicant - if it's a genuine marriage, they reason that the couple will pursue it and if it's not, they'll just give up (a very harsh approach) and secondly, when their decisions are overturned, I was informed by a contact at the Manila embassy itself that they will then AUTOMATICALLY issue the visa, even though the ECO has the right of appeal against your appeal, and that they NEVER challenge a court overturning their decision - which must mean they know their decisions are so harsh that they expect them to be overturned.

For those who've been told to come back in three weeks, it's probably because the Embassy is making a direct check with the NSO for the filipina's marital history, to ensure there are no previous marriages lurking about. They know a lot of (poorer) filipinas marry someone when they're about 18 having got pregnant, then, as there's no divorce, marry a foriegner later to escape to a better life. In a country where education is so poor and prospects for improvement are about zero, and there is no divorce and anullment is financially out of reach for the average filipino, it seems a particularly harsh way of penalising the poorest and the less educated, who are nothing but victims of their own country's appalling education system.

Occasionally, a decent ECO slips through the net, or an application is so well presented that not even they can find a flaw - in which case, a visa gets issued pretty quickly. It does happen - sadly, the whole process is a lottery and it seems that equitable treatment is not on the agenda.

Applications are refused because of accommodation, finances, procedure flaws, previous marriages, lack of contact/evidence to prove a genuine relationship, all sorts. If they can find a flaw, they'll use it, sadly.

The British embassy in manila does not make one proud to be British. It makes one quite ashamed.

Admin
3rd February 2005, 23:08
Which is why we always say, supply more than they ask for, much more. It impresses them ;D You need to stand out from the normal folk.

Admin
3rd February 2005, 23:12
Occasionally, a decent ECO slips through the net, or an application is so well presented that not even they can find a flaw

Strange you mention that, in the case of our niece, the interviewer told her it was one of the best applications he'd ever come across. Hopefully thanks to me emailing full instructions in A, B, C on what to do.

Admin
3rd February 2005, 23:13
I also get bored out of my skull telling Filipino's working in Singapore NOT to go home, as getting a visa in Singapore is relatively a quick and easy process.

But of course their are always those who know better!! ::)

peterdavid
3rd February 2005, 23:20
Yes - british embassies is modern countries have a markedly different attitude to applicants. It's quite racist, when you think about it.

Admin
3rd February 2005, 23:38
Isn't that Michael Howard's job??? ;D

ginapeterb
4th February 2005, 01:07
hmmm reading all of this gives me the jitters, makes me wonder that when I go to marry Gina, will they be bloody minded and do an auto-refuse just to make us squirm to the Immigration appelatte authority, although my paperwork is s....hot...that is accounts..payslips..statements, photos, letters, you name it we have it.

On paper we should get the visa...but all of this makes me wonder hmmm

if you satisfy the rules..and then they become deliberately obsructive..cos they are told to be, it means a lack of access to equitable justice as Peter has said.

It also starts to give me the thought that is it probable, that some guys will actually have to live apart from their wife for long periods, due to being separated because of political considerations, regarding border controls.

When I visited the District Registry today, the appointment took some 15 minutes to complete, I was asked to show the following:

British Passport
Birth Certificate
Divorce Decree Absolute
Bank Stateent

And provide the following details

Name of my intended
Condition
Location of Marriage
Nationality
Date of Brith

The fee is £30.00 and the CNI can be collected on the 22nd day.

Admin
4th February 2005, 12:21
Doubt you'll have any problems Pete. I've seen people turn up in the UK embassy in Singapore with just the form, nothing else, and wonder why they are sent away.

I know not everyone is as intelligent as us, and the forms are complicated to some, but it is shown clearly what you need to provide.

ginapeterb
4th February 2005, 12:45
Thanks for that Keith, we had this conversation last night about that very subject, i also spoke with another english guy who is married to a Filipina for one year now, and we met at the Philippine Embassy last year, his comments were similar to yours, in that lots of guys just show up with a Form and the fee, and little or no evidence of anything else, and then the girl gets refused, and they wonder why, he said "If the paperwork is right" there is nothing to worry about, we are assuming of course tht everyone has either read "British marrying filipinos" or they have been on our site, our site is actually Keith the only one in the UK that actively helps British Nationals, I have trawled the net, and their is nothing else as good as ours, or as informative.

I think sometimes their is a tedency to assume that everyone else views the process as important as we do, and that they have meticulously prepared for it, this is of course is proving to be the reverse.

The information that is provided in the sections

Courting and Relationships "How to prepare for Evidence of Relationship"

And Documentation information, is very good ad probably the best source of information on the web today, and I know Keith you and I are both proud of what we have here on this Forum.

I know of many cases, where people have come here, taken the information and have been successful in their endeavours to obtain a visa, thats somethig we can all be proud of.

Admin
4th February 2005, 17:03
Wonder if the British embassy in Manilla will let me advertise ;D

No harm in asking eh?

ginapeterb
4th February 2005, 21:29
probably better Keith not to tell them anything about this, or next thing we know they will be complaining to the Home Office about us

peterdavid
4th February 2005, 22:32
I'm with Pete on that - will only make them more suspicious of well documented applications if they think there is a free website taking people through every step and telling them how to make it look convincing - they will therefore treat every application with even more suspicion than they do now.

Pete - as for your application, I also don't think you've got much to worry about - it sounds like you're going to be providing plenty and know the sort of financial and accommodation info to provide - plus phone calls and visits and photos to evidence a genuine relationship. Just don't let them shake you or intimidate you.

The hardest part is for the filipina if she's called for interview - it is such an intimidating process for her, and unlike us, she's not used to regarding 'authority' with the same approach we are with out more westernised 'every one is equal' approach - filipinos don't like 'conflict' and don't like to contradict someone in authority - but she'll have to if the ECO puts a point to her and is expecting her to rebutt it to prove a genuine relationship/reason for wanting to go to england. Just give her plenty of coaching and above all convince her that she has nothing to fear from them - and not to be afraid of correcting and contradicting them when they go looking for any gaps in the relationship/application. Unlike in philippine business/relationships, the english ECO will expect and want her to contradict and correct him to prove a genuine relationship - filipinos think it is polite not to do this, but she'll need to get over that cultural norm - embassy officials do demonstrate a surprising lack of empathy for the cultural norms of their host country and do little to make allowances for it, even though they know full well that most filipinos will be quite intimidated by being interviewed by an english official in their second language.

But if you've got the evidence, he's likely to ask her less questions anyway, and provided she's got no nasty surprises lurking within the NSO (which I'm sure she wont have), then you should be fine.

Admin
4th February 2005, 23:43
filipinos don't like 'conflict'
You haven't met the wife then ;D We never argue, but God help anyone who upsets her, the spears start flying!!

ginapeterb
5th February 2005, 00:19
Thank you for that submission Peter, I thougt that was very well written and extremely helpful, I couldnt agree with you more regarding Filipina's and confrontation, I have had this experience with my lady in a mall...we tried to get a joint bank account with BPI and they asked me for an Alien Certificate of registration, I said the following "I live on Planet Earth, those are only for residents from Mars, Venus, or Pluto", I know I look a bit odd, but I am human", that did not go down to well..and later I was seen to be talking under my breath..as we went up the escalator...Gina got embarassed and told me that I was being confrontational in front of the filipino's and they will think you are shouting at me.

This is of course as you said, the cultural differences between East and West, I will be taking your advices there Peter and coaching Gina for the interview although when I did it the last time, she found it stressful...and thought I was being billigerent.

I think your point is very good that you raised, regarding the intimidation of the ECO's, I will take that point on board and actually explain to Gina that she will have to be more assertive on the interview, although I suspect she will be ok, she is insisting that if I Cant make it back for to be there and support her...she will be ok and do it herself.

I am concerned about this, As I would have liked to be there on the interview, at least downstairs and wait for her, however it may not be possible, but the paperwork will be spot on Peter, thanks for that support..and also to you Keith.

I thought of also..doing a mock interview, with me as the ECO and might just be a bit bolshy with her, and guage her reactions and teach her how to respond, one thing I think though Keith...lets not bring the Forum to the attention of the British Embassy Manila, I think thats a bad idea, and I go along with Peter on this, they will start to think every applicant is coming to us first, we might even get a name out there...especially me..and you Kieth, also remember, they might be looking out for Gina's application, I dont want to be paranoid of course, but if you do want to bring us to their attention, do it after Gina has her entry clearance please mate, my name is also on some of the posts Keith, and also, we may get one or two of them joining as member (sleepers) just to see what we have posted.
hahahahahahaahahahah

Admin
5th February 2005, 11:49
Just an idea I threw in the air, forgotten now....what was it anyway ;D

I live on Planet Earth, those are only for residents from Mars, Venus, or Pluto", I know I look a bit odd, but I am human

Blimey Pete, your starting to sound like a scouser ;D :D

ginapeterb
5th February 2005, 14:24
Keith you mentioned about bringing us to the attention of that lot over in Manila, at the British Embassy, I said..it was probably not wise to make us an object of their discussions in the tea room chatter.

Especially as my full name has appeared on some posts, I am concious of that, and obviously, I would prefer that our service is not brought to their attention, or they will be treating us as immigration consultants...and to be honest we are not far off that now...apart from the fact...we dont charge for helping...with the expertise, we have...we could probably set up a service to process peoples paperwork before they go there..that what I am afraid of..that we will be seen as lay immigration consultants, but specifically for applicants who visit the British Embassy in the Philippines.

This may bring us to their attention, if not officially but certainly unofficially.

The difference with our site Keith and Eddie Bassons, is that his site is not a Asynchonous Chat Forum, its a passive information based on his own experience, because ours is a Asynchronous chat forum, we may be looked at in a different light.

Just flagging a small concern here Keith, not trying to get paranoid about it.

peterdavid
5th February 2005, 15:32
You haven't met the wife then ;D We never argue, but God help anyone who upsets her, the spears start flying!!

Mine doesn't fight in that situation. She just waits coolly and gets her revenge - very south east asian :).

Have made a mental note never to leave a wet bath towel lying on the floor, or if I do, to keep my legs crossed for at least a week.

peterdavid
5th February 2005, 15:38
I have also heard of cases, especially now it is all CAVA based, where an application is sufficiently well documented (especially with regard evidence of relationship) that, providing NSO check comes up clear and she has no previous disfavourable immigration history with the embassy, they simply return the visas with the passports in them - no interview needed.

It's all part of the embassy trying to reduce backlogs and 'risk assessing' applications (although admittedly the idea of a public servant being so cutting edge and dynamic as to be able to risk assess anything is, of course, quite laughable....) - if it's well documented, no prior unfavourable history and it's obvious the relationship is genuine (plenty of evidence of financial support, visits from the UK if you've been over here), then she may, just may, get through without an interview.

One of the CAVA courier guys told me this as well, about a year or so ago.

No guarantees though - i'd take that as best case scenario but plan for the worst anyway - that way you cover all bases.

Admin
5th February 2005, 15:43
I thought the initial idea of the CAVA was to save on interviews. Anyway, we let terrorists in without any checks, so don't see any problem ::)

peterdavid
5th February 2005, 15:49
As for coaching, I think it's one of those areas where practice and experience is the best way. Depending on her background/age/professional experience/experience with dealing with westerners in a business setting, she may or may not be used to the sort of interaction the english official will expect to have - once you take away the potential element of surprise and shock at what she perceives to be his rudeness (ie, his upfront western way of asking personal questions), she'll be less thrown off guard by it and be in a better position to answer the question properly, without having to 'compose herself' after the shock of being spoken to in a direct way like this which she isn't used to.

Having said that, despite my generally low opinion on the competence and abilities (and politeness) of most embassy officials, and despite their 'thorough' nitpicking of applications to give it a robust test, I think the majority of them do try and be fair (though harsh) and, if they can't find a gap, will let it through and wish you well. It's all part of a game - grit your teeth and smile through it, I just treated the process the same way I did for my professional exams - prepare for it mentally and emotionally, "take the exam" - you only have to do it once, then you can forget all about it forever. The visa extension with the home office is a far more friendly affair (so I'm told).

That is, until her sisters all start saying they want to come and visit and you have to help them with their applications... ;D

walesrob
17th February 2005, 06:30
Originally posted by peterdavid@Feb 3 2005, 10:06 PM
Yes, I think ECOs are deliberately obstructive, especially in cases where the english guy has been living in England and the filipina in the philippines.

The British embassy in manila does not make one proud to be British. It makes one quite ashamed.

Quoted post

I'm still annoyed at the Embassy for being so picky about our visa application. I spent months researching the correct procedures for applying for the visa, I got info and advice from this discussion group and others like it, I took great care that all documents were complete and correct, and still it wasnt enough.

Just before I left Manila 2 days ago (i extended my stay till 16th by the way - couldnt bear to leave the Philippines :) ) I returned to the Embassy to ask on progress. Now because of security, I was forced to call one of the ECO's from the downstairs lobby (I was not even allowed into my own Embassy!!), and I was given a predictable answer "Sir the issue of your wifes visa has been deferred until local checks are completed. We will call your wife in about 3 - 5 weeks".

While I cant give the exact reasons why the other 47 people were denied visas, it seems from what Elsa told me, it was more to do with insufficent/incorrect paperwork, and indeed many of the applicants were for tourist/family visas. She told me that in most cases, the applicant was called to Room 6 or Room 2, and were informed straight off, "I deny your request for a visa" then sent on their way. I can understand how some of those applicants got quite angry - what a way to treat people in this day. :unsure:

ginapeterb
17th February 2005, 10:37
Originally posted by walesrob@Feb 17 2005, 05:30 AM
While I cant give the exact reasons why the other 47 people were denied visas, it seems from what Elsa told me, it was more to do with insufficent/incorrect paperwork, and indeed many of the applicants were for tourist/family visas. She told me that in most cases, the applicant was called to Room 6 or Room 2, and were informed straight off, "I deny your request for a visa" then sent on their way. I can understand how some of those applicants got quite angry - what a way to treat people in this day. :unsure:

Quoted post

Hello Rob it sounds to me like you are right in that Elsa's assumption that the applications were for entry clearance, I would say is highy unlikely, they were probably for tourist visa's which are in the majority denied, for one thing, the common reason given is that

"Their are not enough reasons to guarantee your return to the Philippines"

This is the main reason why so many tourist visa applications are denied, it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth of many people, however with regard to your wife's situation, I would say, they are going to to check with the NSO to see whether she has been previously married, there is something on the applicaton form that doesnt seem right to them.

Maurizio has just returned to UK with Richie his fiancee, and they were cleared on same day, as was Rockman, (Troy) one of our readers, he came with his fiancee some 2 weeks ago, you mentioned yourself that their might be a problem with her paperwork in a previous post, they will probably get back to her when they said and issue the visa, if there are no further complications.

My heart goes out to you, I know once you have married, its a s...situation to be stuck in UK and your wife cannot join you, I remember an old freind of mine, was on his own after the marriage for 13 months, before his wife's visa was issued, he lost his job, and they denied her entry clearance, until he got another job, when he did get one, they called her up and asked her to come and get her passport.

I can't think of being separated that long from my girl, not 13 months, we have already had to endure over that amount of time now, due to my divorce going through, so we are hoping that by May of this year, we will be togther, although of course I could have started the process now, but we want to marry in her home city, so it will take a little longer to arrange.

I hope this goes well for you Rob, keep in touch.

peterdavid
23rd February 2005, 15:59
Originally posted by ginapeterb@Feb 17 2005, 09:37 AM
Hello Rob it sounds to me like you are right in that Elsa's assumption that the applications were for entry clearance, I would say is highy unlikely, they were probably for tourist visa's which are in the majority denied, for one thing, the common reason given is that

"Their are not enough reasons to guarantee your return to the Philippines"

This is the main reason why so many tourist visa applications are denied, it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth of many people, however with regard to your wife's situation, I would say, they are going to to check with the NSO to see whether she has been previously married, there is something on the applicaton form that doesnt seem right to them.

Maurizio has just returned to UK with Richie his fiancee, and they were cleared on same day, as was Rockman, (Troy) one of our readers, he came with his fiancee some 2 weeks ago, you mentioned yourself that their might be a problem with her paperwork in a previous post, they will probably get back to her when they said and issue the visa, if there are no further complications.

My heart goes out to you, I know once you have married, its a s...situation to be stuck in UK and your wife cannot join you, I remember an old freind of mine, was on his own after the marriage for 13 months, before his wife's visa was issued, he lost his job, and they denied her entry clearance, until he got another job, when he did get one, they called her up and asked her to come and get her passport.

I can't think of being separated that long from my girl, not 13 months, we have already had to endure over that amount of time now, due to my divorce going through, so we are hoping that by May of this year, we will be togther, although of course I could have started the process now, but we want to marry in her home city, so it will take a little longer to arrange.

I hope this goes well for you Rob, keep in touch.

Quoted post

Rob,

A slight glimmer of hope - that the Embassy is doing its own check with the NSO isn't necessarily a sign that anything is wrong - sometimes they just check to confirm there are no previous marriages for no reason other than a double check - not because something looks wrong.

If your lady has children, for example, that may trigger a check, or it could just be the ECO looking at your case has had a bad day and doesn't want to let anyone in until he's nitpicked over the case with a toothcomb. It's irritating and petty, and highly inconvenient whilst they make you wait, and half the time you get the impression that the Embassy staff consider every filipina applicant to be a money-grabbing gold-digging bar-girl unless she proves the opposite beyond any doubt whatsoever.

But provided nothing is amiss at the NSO (and I accept that it's very hard to have confidence in the NSO, as it's only as accurate as the corrupt half-wits that run it, but keep your fingers crossed no one has been messing with your wife's papers - an ECO told me once that he has personally known cases where an applicants identity has been stolen from the NSO and she's turned out to be thrice married, declared dead, all without her knowledge!) - then grit your teeth for another 5 weeks and don't let them get you down.

I share your anger at the disgusting rudeness the english embassy staff display, to sponsors and applicants, it is absolutely appalling and they feel they are untouchable, being stuck in this remote outpost and forgotten about by the FCO. Keeping calm with them is the only way to show them (by virtue of the contrast in your and their behaviour) how rude they are being - if you rise to the bait, it's what they want. Just count to 10 and file a complaint with the Omsbudsman when it's all over and your filipina is in England. Guy at the Information desk (Oscar) will give you the name(s) of who you speak to - he's a nice guy - as in fact are most of the filipinos who work there - it's just the British who let the side down so abysmally.

walesrob
24th February 2005, 00:21
Ok, the latest....Elsa was told to return her passport to the Embassy last Friday 18th February, she did that Monday, but since then nothing...they keep saying they will phone her, but they havent.....so what are they doing with her passport exactly? If she gets nothing by March 1st (St David Days in Wales....Cymru Am Byth :lol: ) I will fire an email at the Embassy.

mandrake
24th February 2005, 22:21
Originally posted by ginapeterb@Nov 12 2004, 11:04 PM
The Settlement Interview - How to Prepare

ginapeterb, this was a superb read!

I'm a believer in mock interviews because for many women from the area I specialize in (Eastern Europe), the interview is their first contact with an official of a foreign government and they really have no idea what to expect.

Your article has broad application to a number of visa national countries. For what it's worth, I have a collection of questions to prepare for also. Along with some preparation for the sponsor also. It's at http://www.transpondia.co.uk

Manila is a tough and probing consulate. Probably second only to Bangkok. But if you want the number 1 place to find captious ECO's, try Saint Petersburg or Ekatrinburg.

walesrob
1st March 2005, 11:27
Originally posted by walesrob@Feb 23 2005, 11:21 PM
Ok, the latest....Elsa was told to return her passport to the Embassy last Friday 18th February, she did that Monday, but since then nothing...they keep saying they will phone her, but they havent.....so what are they doing with her passport exactly? If she gets nothing by March 1st (St David Days in Wales....Cymru Am Byth :lol: ) I will fire an email at the Embassy.

Quoted post

WOO-HOOOOOOO :D

Elsa has the visa at last - shes going to Embassy tomorrow to pick it up.

Now for some flights .....

:) :) :) :) :)

peterdavid
1st March 2005, 14:36
Originally posted by walesrob@Mar 1 2005, 10:27 AM
WOO-HOOOOOOO :D

Elsa has the visa at last - shes going to Embassy tomorrow to pick it up.

Now for some flights .....

:) :) :) :) :)

Quoted post

Congratulations mate. I'm really happy for you.

Now remember, when you get to the UK and they try insisting she go for a degrading medical before being allowed in to this spotlessly clean country (!), just say you think she might be pregnant - medical abandoned, walk straight through to the arrivals lounge.......

Congrats again - have you told her it's minus 3 degrees here....?

Admin
1st March 2005, 16:16
My niece-in-law (!!!) just had the medical at Heathrow, and it's only a quick once over, unlike the US mediacl which takes 3 blood samples, and a swab, as well as other things :o

Best of luck on your future together, and make sure you buy her 10 pairs of tights :lol:

ginapeterb
1st March 2005, 21:24
Rob,

Warmest congratulations on Elsa's Visa, that is good news, so happy for you both, give her my regards, and Im sure Peter and Keith will want to give their best wishes to your wife, Gina and I are glad you got this ok, keep your fingers crossed for me now ok Rob, and keep in touch with us, some people come here, get their visa..and we never see them again, lets look at it that we are all a family that is a British-Filipino family, whilst writing I am in the process of designing a website..which will be called www.abritish-filipinocouple.com and it should be ready soon, its about Gina and I, and the procedures with photos, links and videos, I have spent 4 weeks building it so I hope that everyone enjoys a good read when its ready, I have used some of the material i wrote for this forum, Im sure Keith doesnt mind that, and tweaked some of it up a little, but its a good read thats for sure.

Well its wheeeeeehey for Rob, come on Rob its your turn to support me now, I have to wait for April for my lucky number to come up, in the meantime, the wedding is nearly upon me, and Im still not sorted on the money as yet, but hopefully in 4 weeks I will be...

Pete

walesrob
2nd March 2005, 12:09
Hi guys,

Thanks for the kind words and support, and I'm glad now its all over. I'm just sorting out some flights, I think I will meet up with Elsa in Hong Kong then we'll both fly home together, so its a matter now of synchronising flights.

To be honest the whole visa process was fairly quick, she called on January 6th, and got the interview 2nd February, and visa issued today, so just 2 months, and that was with the Embassy doing local checks. I'm certain Elsa would have the visa on February 2nd if her passport hadn't have been stolen. Compared to US visa applications, this is very quick - I know of some of Elsas friends who have applied for US visas and have to wait a whole year for processing.

Now in my case, the visa process may have been short, but the legwork getting all the required documentation was at times, painfully slow, and at times seem to snowball out of control. As a rough timeline this is what happened:

2004 May 28th: Married in Palo
June 10th: Elsa sends off for Marraige secpa
June 12th: Elsa applies for new passport, this denied because birth certificate had errors (!!) Was told to get her Birth Certificate corrected.
July: Starts petition process for amendment to Birth Certificate
July: Marraige secpa arrives
then nothing till November, grrrr
September: Applies for CFO certificate, was also denied due to error on birth certificate.
November: New Birth Certificate issued with amendments
December: New passport issued, CFO certificate issued.
January 2005: Visa applied for
March 1st: Visa issued.

Maybe if her original passport had not have been stolen, I'm sure Elsa would have been in the UK long time ago, but hey we made it now and we are together and thats all that matters.

Peter, no worries, I will keep monitoring this site (I spend hours on the net anyway everyday - gotta read something!) and if anyone wants any information or tips, send me a message and I'll help as best I can. I like your idea Pete about building a website, I've done the same, but its a simple one..Elsa and Robs website (http://www.robluff.co.uk)

Regards

Rob

Admin
2nd March 2005, 22:41
SPAMMERS :lol: :lol:

Elsa doesn't half dress like Ronald McDonald :unsure:

ginapeterb
3rd March 2005, 10:10
Originally posted by admin@Mar 2 2005, 09:41 PM
SPAMMERS :lol: :lol:

Elsa doesn't half dress like Ronald McDonald :unsure:

Quoted post

Rob great site !!! I loved it...I wil be putting mine up there sometime this week or next, and hope you will link on yours to mine, I will also link from mine to yours, and hopefully we can get some cross traffic, and I am also linking to Keith on Win 2 Win, also Keith, I will put a banner on my site for some advertising for the pro-betting you do, and I already have a deal with a US Firm to generate traffic, plus also on the search engines.

Keep in touch Rob, will have another look at yours tonight when I get in from work.

Best wishes Pete

walesrob
3rd March 2005, 15:10
Originally posted by ginapeterb@Mar 3 2005, 09:10 AM
Rob great site !!! I loved it...I wil be putting mine up there sometime this week or next, and hope you will link on yours to mine

Keep in touch Rob, will have another look at yours tonight when I get in from work.

Best wishes Pete

Quoted post

Hiya Pete,

Yeah, no problem.....I need to add some more links anyway, so I'll put this forum and your site Pete - let me know the url and I'll get it uploaded on the weekend.

I'm off to Hong Kong on Monday, 7th, and returning with Elsa on March 15th... HOORAY!! I managed to get a one-way for Elsa HKG to London for just 200 from www.aerohkg.com, these guys are really nice and helpful.

Admin
3rd March 2005, 17:39
You can use the linking engines on here, the racing, and the poker sites. Gets your site a higher ranking in a couple of months.

Hey, no one has commented on the new site look :(

ginapeterb
8th March 2005, 22:34
Originally posted by admin@Mar 3 2005, 04:39 PM
You can use the linking engines on here, the racing, and the poker sites. Gets your site a higher ranking in a couple of months.

Hey, no one has commented on the new site look :(

Quoted post

I will be supporting your sites Keith on mine, with links to the poker site and the racing site, shortly, just finishing off mine, hope you like the intro music on my site when its up and running, will also link to Robs site as well...do you have logos for your site Keith if so..I can use image in my site, or I can point to yours.

Admin
9th March 2005, 09:44
Logo's!!! I do need to make some actually, been busy as it's the Cheltenham Festival next week.