PDA

View Full Version : Can a non EEA family member work right away in UK?

mackydn
27th May 2009, 23:08
We just moved back in UK recently from Prague,my husband is brit and I've got a Czech residency(but i'm filipino) so do I have to wait for the family permit of I could go straight to work?

Hope someone could help me:bigcry:
tnx

Ji&Ma
28th May 2009, 00:46
We just moved back in UK recently from Prague,my husband is brit and I've got a Czech residency(but i'm filipino) so do I have to wait for the family permit of I could go straight to work?

tnx

:Hellooo:Hello, welcome in here:Hellooo:
How did you enjoyed Prague, how long were you staying there? Sorry - bit curious because I am Czech national, but living in UK for some 6 years now :omg:
Back to your question - I suppose when you've been moving to UK with your hubby you got a EEA family permit, or how did you get to UK? Do you have Czech citizenship or just residency permit?

This is a copy from UKBA website:
"I am a British citizen. Can my family members apply for an EEA family permit to join me in the UK?"

"Although the UK is also a member of the EEA, the information in this guidance does not, in general, relate to British citizens and their family members.
However if a British citizen is living in another EEA country, their non-EEA family members can apply for an EEA family permit to join them on their return to the UK. This is subject to the following conditions:
the British citizen is residing in an EEA Member State as a worker or self-employed person or was doing so before returning to the UK; and
if the family member of the British citizen is their spouse or civil partner, they are living together in the EEA country or they entered into the marriage or civil partnership and were living together in that EEA country before returning to the UK".
(source: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/infs/inf18eeaswissnationals#Q15)

So I would say you will have to apply for EEA family permit to allow you to work. But it would be better to wait for a response from other (more experienced) members of the forum.
Hope it's been a little of help to you...

Good luck:xxgrinning--00xx3:

IainBusby
28th May 2009, 11:49

tnx

As you are Filipino and only have Czech residency not Czech nationality then I think you will have to apply for the EEA family permit before you will be allowed to work.
Iain

MHG
6th September 2009, 08:26
As you are Filipino and only have Czech residency not Czech nationality then I think you will have to apply for the EEA family permit before you will be allowed to work.
Iain

Although I am not British nor living in the UK I know that you have to apply for the family permit since you´re not an EEC citizen !

The EEC right to live and work in other EEC countries is clearly restricted to EEC-citizens. All EEC member countries handle it the same way (wouldn´t make sense if not, eh ? )
Being a citizen of a country outside the EEC excludes you from this right - no matter where you live and whose country´s residence permit you have !!!

I`m German (and live in Germany) and e.g. in Germany there´s no such thing like a "family permit" and we simply have a corresponding residence status indicated on a visa-like sticker in the passport (and the residence status is of course listed in the Alien registration office´s computer)

johncar54
6th September 2009, 08:48
MHG

in Germany there´s no such thing like a "family permit" and we simply have a corresponding residence status indicated on a visa-like sticker in the passport (and the residence status is of course listed in the Alien registration office´s computer)

Thats interesting.

I live in Spain and I thought, as of earlier this year, all Schengen Area countries were issuing the 'family re--unification' visa.

I know Spain changed to this around April/May, previously they issued a 90 day tourist visa with a certificate that the person could travel on a one way ticket and without travel insurance (otherwise they would not have been allowed to leave Phil). With the new type of visa there is now no problem.MHG

MHG
3rd October 2009, 20:29
[/I]

Thats interesting.

I live in Spain and I thought, as of earlier this year, all Schengen Area countries were issuing the 'family re--unification' visa.

I know Spain changed to this around April/May, previously they issued a 90 day tourist visa with a certificate that the person could travel on a one way ticket and without travel insurance (otherwise they would not have been allowed to leave Phil). With the new type of visa there is now no problem.MHG

Well, there is a so called family-reunification visa for Schengen countries !
But still local differences exist in each country !!!

Just in case i got it wrong: if she´s still in the Philippines she will have to apply for a family re-unification visa (if you´re married already).
And you´re right in expecting it is possible to travel to Germany with a one-Way ticket without health care insurance if the family re-unification visa is granted!

If you´re not yet married and intend to do so in Germany she will have to apply for a fiancee visa - which is specific for Germany and not valid for any other country !!! (the fiancee visa as well as the family reunification visa are clearly not Schengen visa but country specific)

Or maybe i got it wrong in the first place that "family permit" is just a different term for "family-reunifcation visa" ... ??? :confused:

johncar54
4th October 2009, 07:05
MGH.

Maybe a visit to:-

http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/diplo/en/Startseite.html

http://www.germanvac-cn.com/faq.aspx

would be helpful. They are in English.