PDA

View Full Version : Isn't this a transgression?

SurvivingAngel
27th May 2009, 11:11
I have an Internist that I regularly go to for a check-up. Last April, when I complained of stiffness and numbness on my fingers, signs of Rheumatoid Arthritis, I was referred to another doctor, a Neurologist, as my doctor was out of town.

Last week, I was confined in the hospital for three days for my sinusitis. I stayed in a semi-private room as it was cheaper and had a bathroom en suite. Although, my doctor has returned, the Neurologist was still called to check on me. Both of them visited me twice. When it was time to go home, I asked for my hospital bill and was only told to pay my Internist’s PF in her clinic. I was pleased, thinking they were just being generous and only charged me 2,000 for the two of them.

However, when I was about to pay at the cashier, I was told that I had to pay the Neurologist another 2,000. I got dismayed as I was already short of money and wished I wouldn’t have to pay more.

I then went to the Neurologist’s clinic and asked the secretary why I had to pay 2,000 each doctor. She nonchalantly replied, “Because you stayed in a private room.” I was surprised to hear her reply and told her that they’ve made a mistake. I asked to talk with the Neurologist, hoping I could ask for a discount since they were wrong in their thinking that I stayed in a private room. She told me the Neurologist was busy and didn’t want to be disturbed. I had no other choice but to pay another 2,000. It really made me irate as I felt ripped off so I asked for an OR from the Neurologist’s secretary. She frowned at me and mumbled incomprehensible words. I suspected that she told my doctor, the Internist, that I complained about the PF.

Now, I have to file for Sickness Benefit at SSS and have to have a medical certificate signed by my doctor (Internist). She signed it but I was so shocked coz she had her secretary return the 2,000 to me and told me NOT to go to her clinic again and to look for another doctor because she didn’t want to attend to me anymore. I feel bad as I really don’t have a problem with my Internist and I like her.

Now, isn’t it a transgression to the Hippocratic Oath that a doctor refuses to attend to someone who seeks treatment in her clinic? What do you think?

Sophie
27th May 2009, 11:21
If she really did say that, i don't think that's a professional behavior at all, coming from a doctor herself.
My suggestion, look for a new one.

IainBusby
27th May 2009, 13:22
I have an Internist that I regularly go to for a check-up. Last April, when I complained of stiffness and numbness on my fingers, signs of Rheumatoid Arthritis, I was referred to another doctor, a Neurologist, as my doctor was out of town.

Last week, I was confined in the hospital for three days for my sinusitis. I stayed in a semi-private room as it was cheaper and had a bathroom en suite. Although, my doctor has returned, the Neurologist was still called to check on me. Both of them visited me twice. When it was time to go home, I asked for my hospital bill and was only told to pay my Internist’s PF in her clinic. I was pleased, thinking they were just being generous and only charged me 2,000 for the two of them.

However, when I was about to pay at the cashier, I was told that I had to pay the Neurologist another 2,000. I got dismayed as I was already short of money and wished I wouldn’t have to pay more.

I then went to the Neurologist’s clinic and asked the secretary why I had to pay 2,000 each doctor. She nonchalantly replied, “Because you stayed in a private room.” I was surprised to hear her reply and told her that they’ve made a mistake. I asked to talk with the Neurologist, hoping I could ask for a discount since they were wrong in their thinking that I stayed in a private room. She told me the Neurologist was busy and didn’t want to be disturbed. I had no other choice but to pay another 2,000. It really made me irate as I felt ripped off so I asked for an OR from the Neurologist’s secretary. She frowned at me and mumbled incomprehensible words. I suspected that she told my doctor, the Internist, that I complained about the PF.

Now, I have to file for Sickness Benefit at SSS and have to have a medical certificate signed by my doctor (Internist). She signed it but I was so shocked coz she had her secretary return the 2,000 to me and told me NOT to go to her clinic again and to look for another doctor because she didn’t want to attend to me anymore. I feel bad as I really don’t have a problem with my Internist and I like her.

Now, isn’t this a transgression to the Hippocratic Oath? What do you think?

Just be glad you got your 2,000 back and move on.
Iain.