PDA

View Full Version : monster-in-law...

lost_bulak
19th May 2009, 22:33
...i mean mother-in-law. How is your relationship with your mother-in-law? My mother-in-law is getting on my nerves into the highest level! It's not that we argue all the time because I try to control my temper as possible as I can. As some of you know, I had my first baby 6 weeks ago and my mother-in-law acts as if she owns my baby. In her eyes everything I do is wrong and everything she does/says is right. I have my own ways of bringing up my child, not the way she wants it. Like for example, when my baby was 4 weeks old she was insisting (actually up to this day) that I should try putting rusks in his bottle so he would sleep longer at night-as if she was the one waking up in the middle of the night feeding my baby. i wouldn't risk my baby just for an extra hours of sleep so i said to her he's too young.

Plus one day when we went round to her place and she was eating ginger biscuit she almost put it into my baby's mouth-good thing i stopped her. She was saying that i should introduce my baby to different tastes as early as possible so he wouldn't be picky when he grows up. AAaaaahhhh!!! See what I am putting up with? Sorry guys if i am moaning, i have to get these out of my chest or else i would explode :cwm23:! I can still go on and on but I have to stop now or else you'll get bored.

Mrs Daddy
19th May 2009, 22:35
hehehe I feel for you some of my friends suffer same problem that`s why they try to find their own haus:D

Mrs.JMajor
19th May 2009, 22:38
:D not usual to hear rant from mother in law from any members here in the forum, yeah in Philippines its very common, My mom in law so far , we are in good terms and she is sweet :):cwm38:

lost_bulak
19th May 2009, 22:43
:D not usual to hear rant from mother in law from any members here in the forum, yeah in Philippines its very common, My mom in law so far , we are in good terms and she is sweet :):cwm38:

This one i am telling you is different, she is the know-it-all kinda person and doesn't accept opinions/ideas from others.

Sophie
19th May 2009, 23:01
...i mean mother-in-law. How is your relationship with your mother-in-law? My mother-in-law is getting on my nerves into the highest level! It's not that we argue all the time because I try to control my temper as possible as I can. As some of you know, I had my first baby 6 weeks ago and my mother-in-law acts as if she owns my baby. In her eyes everything I do is wrong and everything she does/says is right. I have my own ways of bringing up my child, not the way she wants it. Like for example, when my baby was 4 weeks old she was insisting (actually up to this day) that I should try putting rusks in his bottle so he would sleep longer at night-as if she was the one waking up in the middle of the night feeding my baby. i wouldn't risk my baby just for an extra hours of sleep so i said to her he's too young.

Plus one day when we went round to her place and she was eating ginger biscuit she almost put it into my baby's mouth-good thing i stopped her. She was saying that i should introduce my baby to different tastes as early as possible so he wouldn't be picky when he grows up. AAaaaahhhh!!! See what I am putting up with? Sorry guys if i am moaning, i have to get these out of my chest or else i would explode :cwm23:! I can still go on and on but I have to stop now or else you'll get bored.

Well, i've been here for 2 months and so far i can say, my mother in law is the best :xxgrinning--00xx3: She's really nice and supportive, very much motherly. But i guess unlike you, we still have nothing to disagree about since there's still no baby around, lol. And i can understand how you must be feeling and that there are certain things you want done for your baby your way. On the otherhand, maybe your mother in law was just too excited and ecstatic about having a new grandchild so she sometimes forget she's meddling too much with your baby. Try harder to get along with your mother in law and be more patient and let her enjoy her grandchild but at thesame time, you have to set limits on how far she can meddle and you can tell her nicely about how you want to raise your baby and that you are open for any of her suggestions but ultimately, its your decision in the end. After all, you're the mother, so it's definitely your call :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Jay&Zobel
19th May 2009, 23:27
Oh that's tough!
Definitely do not leave your child with her, not just yet... hehe... Wait til he is weaning...

Tell your husband about it, she rather is acting weird...

maria_and_matt
19th May 2009, 23:36

i am sorry to say but she is actually right,, my son was not sleeping for more that a couple of hours when he was 4-5 weeks old, a friend of mine suggested rusks, i was hesitant at first but hey it worked.

i think that instead of getting annoyed with her look upon her as your own mother who only wants to help. i know she does not mean any harm, but at the end of the day it is you baby and you should do what you feel comfortable with. goodluck!

pennybarry
20th May 2009, 07:13
It will be too hard for you to be with in-laws if there's already baby for sure as they have different ways on bringing up kids. Do not be shy to tell her what's inside of you, your feeling. They are open minded. Just be polite and tell your hubby about this. If you can't handle anymore, tell your hubby to find a place for you.

I'll be 3 years living with them and so far, I can get on with them. If there's problem between them, I sit beside her and talk with her, I am never shy to tell her I'm upset or something and one time she cried and asked for apology. So I did cry too as I hate to see elderlies crying. Since then I didn't make her cry anymore. Hubby always tells his Mom to treat me like her own daughter and so do I.:D

Hubby always away and Mom is my best friend at home. She buys everything I need and told her I really feel shy making me spoiled. When I went home last year, she gave me 250£ pocket money. In return, I just buy something for her everytime I go out for shopping.

Ann07
20th May 2009, 08:55
Oh dear:Erm::Erm::Erm:

Discuss the issues with your husband. Aye, Your baby is too young for that.
I started giving my wee boy food ( baby rice ) when he was 4 months old but only during breakfast still breastfeeding him. Biscuits chocolates rusks etc is a NO NO NO for me at that age too:NoNo::NoNo::NoNo:

My friends babies same age as my wee boy had eaten those foods when they were young and me and my husbands were so shocked to watched them feeding them esp chocolates:doh:doh

Lucky for me my in laws just let me do what we want for our wee boy. They are very supportive esp my dad in law:D

adam&chryss
20th May 2009, 09:50
Lucky me I have a great mother-in-law. She's the best as I may say, just like my mother.
When I gave birth my older son stayed with her for 3 days. She treats him as her real grandson. She's very supportive.
My husband's family been great with me and my older son. I'm really very thankful for that :)

bornatbirth
20th May 2009, 11:55
i think the problem is here a difference in culture in raising a baby?

with my wife we both have different views on raising a baby and i know we will only argue unless we do it my wifes way? :icon_lol:

in the uk we will have a different way to raising a baby than in the philipines,so try to adapt and understand there will be a difference in the uk and the phils?

and tell your hubby how you feel,if your mother in law is so over bearing your hubby will already know this.A good hubby will support you and tell his mother how you are feeling?

try not to be so sensitive and jumpy when your mom inlaw is around she maybe just trying to help? why not try to discuss with her the difference in raising your baby!

Piamed
20th May 2009, 13:35
It is indeed a challenging one. My mother wants to be helpful but has a very strong personality and always tells me what to do and we nearly always disagree, so I don't leave her alone with Pia.

bornatbirth
20th May 2009, 14:42
It is indeed a challenging one. My mother wants to be helpful but has a very strong personality and always tells me what to do and we nearly always disagree, so I don't leave her alone with Pia.

saves you get moaned at by the wife too? :icon_lol:

Tawi2
20th May 2009, 15:28
My friend keith wanted to kill his pinay mother-in-law :omg:His wife gave birth in Pinas,private hospital,I cant remember the exact bill,30,000 pesos I think?He visited his wife and son,and told the hospital his mum-in-law would be in later tp pay the cash,he gave her the money,she wasnt seen for 3 or 4 days,totally vanished,when she did turn up she had been to a Mahjong game,lost the lot,and was too shameful to return home :cwm23: I would rather have an interfering busybody than someone who gambles away her grandchilds hospital bill :icon_lol:

Sophie
20th May 2009, 15:35
My friend keith wanted to kill his pinay mother-in-law :omg:His wife gave birth in Pinas,private hospital,I cant remember the exact bill,30,000 pesos I think?He visited his wife and son,and told the hospital his mum-in-law would be in later tp pay the cash,he gave her the money,she wasnt seen for 3 or 4 days,totally vanished,when she did turn up she had been to a Mahjong game,lost the lot,and was too shameful to return home :cwm23: I would rather have an interfering busybody than someone who gambles away her grandchilds hospital bill :icon_lol:

totally:xxgrinning--00xx3: couldn't agree more:xxgrinning--00xx3: That woman doesn't deserve to be a grandmom for doing that.

trader dave
20th May 2009, 15:51
:D i dont actualy have a monster in law BUT MY FIANCE HAS THIS WOMEN WE CALL THE F&CKING OLD WITCH and we never see her :xxgrinning--00xx3::Erm:

aposhark
20th May 2009, 16:17
Sounds like you all have to sit down and calmly try to find a solution.
If this is not possible, life will be easier in your own place.

aposhark
20th May 2009, 16:22

He's got a point there!

Tawi2
20th May 2009, 16:36
Keiths in-laws were a family of multitudinous problems,probably one of the reasons he split with his wife and is now living in Scotland with a scottish lady :Erm:

adam&chryss
20th May 2009, 20:52
Well it`s not good to have a mum-in-law like that.
We were told to breast feed for as long as possible and that formula fed babies slept for longer cos their bodies cant digest it so well.
6 months is the age to introduce solids and i`m not sure whether a babies body is ready for anything other than milk until then.

nigel
20th May 2009, 21:17
My Mother inlaw is so fat she 'causes a solar eclipse when she goes outside! (JOKE!):icon_lol:

Jay&Zobel
20th May 2009, 21:17
We were told to breast feed for as long as possible and that formula fed babies slept for longer cos their bodies cant digest it so well.
6 months is the age to introduce solids and i`m not sure whether a babies body is ready for anything other than milk until then.

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

nigel
20th May 2009, 21:18
She took up skipping and it showed up on the rictor scale!:yikes:

:icon_lol:

JudyHon
20th May 2009, 22:31
I think the best thing to do is to discuss it with your husband. If you speak to her directly about your disagreements it will cause serious problems. He is her son, so she is more likely to accept what he says. Try to stay calm. He should support you.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I am very lucky to have a wonderful mother in law. She is nice like my mum, and it helps me not to get homesick because i am close to my mum and my mother-in-law treats me like her daughter:BouncyHappy:

hope you solve this problem. Good luck!:)

maria_and_matt
20th May 2009, 22:41

My son who is now 15 was breastfed till he was 9 months, i became so sore coz he was hungry all the time, my friends suggested rusk at 3 months old, i told her it was a bit early, at 3 and half months i went to my GP and asked about things i could do to make him settle at night, she suggested baby rice and rusks. I started feeding him at 4 months, i just mix the baby rice or the rusk in breast milk. After that he slept the night. At 5 months I was feeding him veg, potatoes and meat that i put in the blender. I think that we do what we think is right for our babies. It didnt do him any harm that I started him early on solids. He is now a healthy boy, doing so well, a straight A student hahaha sorry I just like bragging about that!

To all you new mums out there, enjoy every moment with your babies, they all grow up so fast:bigcry::bigcry:

ANDRES25
21st May 2009, 00:06
I'm so happy I have no mother -in-law to deal with she had passed away long time ago but I'm so lucky to have a very nice and funny father-in-law.

tiger@tigress
21st May 2009, 06:29

I must admit I am very lucky with my Inlaws... they love me and my daughter as thier own. Mum is always on my side and ever ready to defend me against her son :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:....
I know how are you feeling a firsttime mother ?(are you) Grandmother always think they know more about us cuz they been there.. And they think thier ways are better than other as far as beeing a mother is concern (and same to you, you think your ways are better than her). Try to control your temper as much as you can and try to mix your ways and her ways to make a better harmony. :Hellooo::Hellooo::Hellooo:

aromulus
21st May 2009, 07:06
"My mother in law, is an angel" says a bloke at the bar.

"Lucky sod" answers his mate, "Mine is still alive"........:icon_lol:

pennybarry
21st May 2009, 07:56
I am very lucky to have a wonderful mother in law. She is nice like my mum, and it helps me not to get homesick because i am close to my mum and my mother-in-law treats me like her daughter:BouncyHappy:

Me too but miss my Nanay still:D:D

adam&chryss
21st May 2009, 08:08
I must admit I am very lucky with my Inlaws... they love me and my daughter as thier own. Mum is always on my side and ever ready to defend me against her son :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:....
I know how are you feeling a firsttime mother ?(are you) Grandmother always think they know more about us cuz they been there.. And they think thier ways are better than other as far as beeing a mother is concern (and same to you, you think your ways are better than her). Try to control your temper as much as you can and try to mix your ways and her ways to make a better harmony. :Hellooo::Hellooo::Hellooo:

so as my mother-in-law :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lost_bulak
21st May 2009, 19:34
I wish I have a personality like you pennybarry, but I am a really soft person. I have told everything to my father-in-law because he listens unlike my mum-in-law. He knows that she will get upset if I tell everything I don't like about her. Even my father-in-law keeps his mouth shut everytime his wife is about to start an argumet because he knows she's not gonna listen. He advised me to ignore her, but it is not that easy. He told me that his wife is not the easiest person to live with.

We (my husband and I) were on our own for a year and it was heaven but we had to move back again to them because of the unforseen circumstances. I am open with my husband about the situation and he is stuck in the middle. I told him that I would go back to the Philippines while I am on my maternity leave but he didn't like that idea. I also don't want to leave because my son needs his father and I will miss him to death but I don't want to be miserable!!!

Yes I am a first time mother, and she expects me to know all the things about being a mother. She doesn't even believe what the book says because she thinks that most of the writers of the books don't even have babies. She already judged a book without reading it.

Tawi2
21st May 2009, 19:56
"She already judged a book without reading it."

Never judge a book by its cover :icon_lol:

If your unhappy and stressed it telegraphs to the child,get a ticket and fly back to spend quality time with your mum,tell your husband its best for you and the baby,because if you have to live with your in-laws he might be minus a mum because you can feel your rage growing due to post-natal anger :omg: Go and visit your mum,you know you want to,think how much joy she would feel seeing the baby :xxgrinning--00xx3: and its a lot less stressful for you right?

miss.piggy
25th June 2009, 10:13

Hi lost bulak...

I'd say our culture is different to the Brits and that must be pretty obvious now. I think, the best thing to do is to speak with your husband and tell him all about this and let him speak with his own mother. It is possible that if you'd start resenting your mother in law, she would start saying things that you may not like, and that may aggravate the situation because you'd get hurt and feel sorry for yourself. Let your husband do the talking, atleast then you'd know as well that your husband is happy to raise your child the way you want to.

My mother in law could be a nightmare, but we never had any arguments so far. Secret is, I shut my mouth and just think she's old and she's the mother of my husband so I respect her. My husband do the talking when necessary. And she's such a lovely nana to my kids, so I always consider that too. And it helps immensely that we are in Kent and she's in Staffs...so she can't do a quick drive to our place!!! :-)

Tawi2
25th June 2009, 10:17
Thats better Miss P,distance makes the heart grow fonder,a womans love for her mum-in-law is in direct relation to the amount of distance that seperates them :D The further the greater,the closer the lesser :xxgrinning--00xx3:

miss.piggy
25th June 2009, 10:22
Thats better Miss P,distance makes the heart grow fonder,a womans love for her mum-in-law is in direct relation to the amount of distance that seperates them :D The further the greater,the closer the lesser :xxgrinning--00xx3:
ahahaha...you are really special. You made my day yesterday with "eliminate negatives and accentuate positives". Today, "a womans love for her mum-in-law is in direct relation to the amount of distance that seperates them The further the greater,the closer the lesser".

I think you should start writing a book -- promise I'll be your first buyer! :-)

Mrs.JMajor
25th June 2009, 10:31
ahahaha...you are really special.
He manage to get filipinas weakness or should I say "kiliti" :Cuckoo:

miss.piggy
25th June 2009, 10:34
He manage to get filipinas weakness or should I say "kiliti" :Cuckoo:
I think he is profoud...and it's wonderful to read lines like that without checking on Delai Lama's or Buddha's notes! :-)

Tawi2
25th June 2009, 10:41
Yeah :D Profound ako mag isip :D I actually met the Dalai Lama and shook his hand Piggy,in Dharamsala,or little tibet as its known :xxgrinning--00xx3: Kiliti is achilles heels Mrs M? :Erm:

miss.piggy
25th June 2009, 10:47
"Yeah Profound ako mag isip" - and you are very humble too! :-)...

"I actually met the Dalai Lama and shook his hand Piggy,in Dharamsala,or little tibet as its known" Wow!!! that's really nice :-). This could be a stupid q, but was there any special feeling when you shook his hand? I know he's not God, but I've read a bit of his thoughts and it's really good to live by.

Tawi2
25th June 2009, 10:55
I wasnt really into the buddhist theology to be honest with you,I was in Dharamsala and he was doing a public audience,I just joined a line of people waiting to shake his hand,I was more excited to shake Jackie Chans hand to be truthful :Erm: I am not really profound :icon_lol: I blame it on the sugar :icon_lol:

Mrs.JMajor
25th June 2009, 10:57
:xxgrinning--00xx3: Kiliti is achilles heels Mrs M? :Erm:
Not that good in English eh:Erm: thats why I am trying hard to keep going on here to sharpen my english:cwm24:

Apology to lost bulak, thread starter Tawi trying to hi-jack the thread again:doh lol

Tawi2
25th June 2009, 11:03
A thousand apologies Mrs M :ARsurrender:

Mrs.JMajor
25th June 2009, 11:09
A thousand apologies Mrs M :ARsurrender:
:icon_lol::icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3: your fine, dont take it seriouly:Erm:

JudyHon
25th June 2009, 11:17
Kiliti is achilles heels Mrs M? :Erm:[/QUOTE]

Is it "Tickling" ?

Mrs.JMajor
25th June 2009, 11:19
Kiliti is achilles heels Mrs M? :Erm:

Is it "Tickling" ?

I know its Tickling, but doesnt sound right to my sentence eh so I used weakness, waahhhhh

JudyHon
25th June 2009, 11:25
I know its Tickling, but doesnt sound right to my sentence eh so I used weakness, waahhhhh

That's fine Ate Juliet, hehehe.... No probs at all.... :)

Tawi2
25th June 2009, 11:28
Its tickling also Judy,but in the context of that sentence I read it as achilles heel or weakness :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Mrs.JMajor
25th June 2009, 11:33
Kiliti is achilles heels Mrs M? :Erm:

Is it "Tickling" ?

That's fine Ate Juliet, hehehe.... No probs at all.... :)

Its tickling also Judy,but in the context of that sentence I read it as achilles heel or weakness :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Behh:xxcheeky-smiley-013:xxcheeky-smiley-013, that was Shawn :icon_lol: not Judy:yikes::Erm: Mrs M and ate Juliet,bet 2 of them,wahhh

JudyHon
25th June 2009, 11:33

Okay then Tawi2 :xxgrinning--00xx3: bit confused here :icon_lol: & Sorry for that.

Mrs.JMajor
25th June 2009, 11:35
but in the context of that sentence I read it as achilles heel or weakness :xxgrinning--00xx3:
So you mean, I am right Tawi as I used weakness:BouncyHappy::rolleyes::icon_lol:

JudyHon
25th June 2009, 11:37
Behh:xxcheeky-smiley-013:xxcheeky-smiley-013, that was Shawn :icon_lol: not Judy:yikes::Erm: Mrs M and ate Juliet,bet 2 of them,wahhh

It's me Ate Juliet :icon_lol: My husband is working :BouncyHappy:

Tawi2
25th June 2009, 11:45
So you mean, I am right Tawi as I used weakness:BouncyHappy::rolleyes::icon_lol:

Of course your right Mrs M,its your language :icon_lol::icon_lol:

MarBell379
29th June 2009, 09:10
Be careful of weaning little ones too early. Its notgood for them - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/916697.stm. Ive also seen reports claiming that it can increse allergy susceptibility as they grow up. I think because the body isnt ready for solids it rejects them and develops antibodies against it- hence the allergy.

Some babies just dont sleep at night for a while. My first didn't, my second was great from 3 months :O

beppe
12th July 2009, 16:31
...i mean mother-in-law. .

She passed away few months ago. Before there was not communication, not arguing.

Arthur Little
12th July 2009, 19:47
I have no mother -in-law...

... neither have I! ... nor a father-in-law. :NoNo: But I DO have 6 brothers-in-law :cwm24:... five of whom are Myrna's siblings and live in the Phils [Myrna was the only girl in her IMMEDIATE family!] And the sixth is the elder brother of my late first wife; I imagine he still counts ... though the last time I saw him was 12 years ago - shortly after my daughter's wedding! It's not that we don't "get on" or anything like that :NoNo: ... he never WAS one to visit all that often anyway - even when his sister was still alive, but he and his wife continue to exchange Christmas Cards with me and my family, so that's something, I suppose.

Sad, really! :bigcry:

Arthur Little
12th July 2009, 20:11
:lol2: And before anyone asks ... it's doubtful that my [almost] 40-year-old daughter and son (37) will be having a new wee sister or brother. Nope, I've NOT had "the snip" ... it's simply that my good lady and myself are :Erm: ... shall we say ... getting just a teeny-weeny bit long in the tooth for the patter of tiny feet!!