PDA

View Full Version : Kang kong in tesco!

thejarvs
19th May 2009, 12:30
Wow we found kang kong in the local tesco supermarket :BouncyHappy: they call it 'ung choi' which is it's Cantonese/Chinese name. However, it was grown in Thailand!

Sinigang tonight :huepfen024:

Mrs.JMajor
19th May 2009, 12:36
where did u get the sinigang mix :( dont have at lowestoft asian shop:Brick:

thejarvs
19th May 2009, 12:47
We have a little Chinese supermarket here which sells a few filipino things like mama sita powders, bangus, tilapia (mmmmmmasarap) magic creams and boy bawang hehehe

Tawi2
19th May 2009, 12:55
I didnt read the headline properly,I expected to see a report of a giant primate terrorising the local supermarket :doh

thejarvs
19th May 2009, 13:01
I didnt read the headline properly,I expected to see a report of a giant primate terrorising the local supermarket :doh

:icon_lol: hmmm Tawi2 you just made mrsjarv wet herself (me too lol)

Tawi2
19th May 2009, 13:02
Sorry mate,I need to get my eyes tested,as soon as i read "King Kong in Tesco" I just thought "WHAT" :omg::yikes::omg:

Jay&Zobel
19th May 2009, 14:57
Wow we found kang kong in the local tesco supermarket :BouncyHappy: they call it 'ung choi' which is it's Cantonese/Chinese name. However, it was grown in Thailand!

Thanks for this!!!:):)

Ana_may365
19th May 2009, 15:38

really!wow!now i know where to but 'kangkong':BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy:.okra,talong.wow!im gonna cook sinigang pork when i buy kangkong in tesco, coz i have sinigang mix that i bought in barrio fiesta in york b4.:D

rusty
19th May 2009, 16:40

Mrs JMajor, you can get sinigang mix from the asian shop in Norwich. The address is 65 Dereham Rod (near the KFC)

ANDRES25
19th May 2009, 16:59
mmm yummy! my mouth is watering now thinking of sinigang. I can't find any sinigang mix here in ipswich either, maybe I'm not looking hard enough. But i'm so glad I found Datu Puti soy sauce and vinegar so I'm going to cook ADOBO tomorrow!

Ann07
19th May 2009, 17:37
Mrs JMajor, you can get sinigang mix from the asian shop in Norwich. The address is 65 Dereham Rod (near the KFC)

or you can buy online:D

Mrs Daddy
19th May 2009, 18:29
yez and I was quite surprise as well as I saw pechay in our local morrisson:)

Mrs.JMajor
19th May 2009, 18:41
Sorry mate,I need to get my eyes tested,as soon as i read "King Kong in Tesco" I just thought "WHAT" :omg::yikes::omg::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Mrs JMajor, you can get sinigang mix from the asian shop in Norwich. The address is 65 Dereham Rod (near the KFC):icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3: Thanks for that, Norwich is 45 minutes drive from Great yarmouth :bigcry: lowestoft is 10minutes, anyhow thanks:xxgrinning--00xx3: will go Norwich this friday,I will ask hubby to put that address in navigator:cwm38:

Pepe n Pilar
19th May 2009, 20:01
Sorry mate,I need to get my eyes tested,as soon as i read "King Kong in Tesco" I just thought "WHAT" :omg::yikes::omg:

:icon_lol::icon_lol:

thejarvs
19th May 2009, 20:08
yez and I was quite surprise as well as I saw pechay in our local morrisson:)

:xxgrinning--00xx3: we've got some pechay growing in the garden (in a growbag under a coldframe) with spinach, red onion and spring onion :D

We have found lots of veg in the local pakistani shops also like: sayote, gabi, mooli radish, ampalaya and proper mangoes (not apple ones) :BouncyHappy:

It would be nice if the big supermarkets stocked more though like mama sita mixes etc. (or sisig in a can hehehe I loved that :) )

bornatbirth
19th May 2009, 21:17
how was the kang kong?

i like it taste like veggie crisps,nice as a snack!

Mrs Daddy
19th May 2009, 21:24
:xxgrinning--00xx3: we've got some pechay growing in the garden (in a growbag under a coldframe) with spinach, red onion and spring onion :D

We have found lots of veg in the local pakistani shops also like: sayote, gabi, mooli radish, ampalaya and proper mangoes (not apple ones) :BouncyHappy:

It would be nice if the big supermarkets stocked more though like mama sita mixes etc. (or sisig in a can hehehe I loved that :) )

your lucky as you can grown them:)

wachovia
19th May 2009, 21:39
Ooh, thanks for the info. We have a big Tesco near my place, hopefully they have them as well.

I found a nice Asian store in China town that has a lot of Filipino food. They even have pandan leaves and sitaw, although I think it's from Thailand.

estherboaz
19th May 2009, 22:25
yehey.thanks for the info. i wont miss filipino foods.

pennybarry
20th May 2009, 07:39
Or you can buy from me other ingredients:D:xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://filipinaroses.com/copper/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=0

http://filipinaroses.com/copper/displayimage.php?album=6&pos=2

tala
8th June 2009, 23:18
i asked my partner to buy okra (I was going to make sinigang)
and he came back with just one tiny okra.

can someone give me more info about growing pechay in my own garden?

thejarvs
9th June 2009, 07:34
tala get some seeds (bak choi/pechay) from a garden centre, I plant them in a grow bag and use a cold frame (penny uses a green house) then just add water :xxgrinning--00xx3:

pennybarry
9th June 2009, 07:49
i asked my partner to buy okra (I was going to make sinigang)
and he came back with just one tiny okra.

can someone give me more info about growing pechay in my own garden?

Just buy 2 growing bags of soil and spread the seeds there.

I have Philippines pechay seeds here given by Ate Ping and it grows fantastic

Do u want some?

tala
12th June 2009, 23:50
am really keen to try it out. not much of a gardener though.
so i don't even know what a growing bag is.
is the growing bag kept outdoors or indoors?
how much maintenance does it need?

thejarvs
13th June 2009, 07:13
http://filipinaroses.com/picture.php?albumid=184&pictureid=1659

Growbags are bags with soil/compost in (bought from garden centres), you put them outside, just a little water is needed for maintenance.

You could just plant the vegies in the ground if you have a suitable garden :icon_lol:

Jay&Zobel
13th June 2009, 13:19
(Not about the growbags lol)

Awwwww...
How cute!!! How old is he? x

Alec&Davina
13th June 2009, 18:31

u can get in some chinese or asian shops near u Mrs.JMajor or try buying online.

have u heard about Pinoyminimall?:Erm::rolleyes: am sure u do,sorry but i cant post the link in here based on forum rules..:D

Tawi2
13th June 2009, 18:38
Are they sad frog slippers he is wearing :Erm:Do they do them in adult sizes :Erm:He looks very cute,little boys always do,when I used to say my son was naughty he would smile and add "But nice" :icon_lol:
If your going to grow get decent soil,John Innes Mix,or Arthur Bowers,lot better than a peat compost :ARsurrender:

thejarvs
14th June 2009, 06:47
(Not about the growbags lol)

Awwwww...
How cute!!! How old is he? x

Lil Raffy is 20 months now :D

Are they sad frog slippers he is wearing :Erm:Do they do them in adult sizes :Erm:

Yes they are but not sure about adult sizes :icon_lol:

tala
18th June 2009, 22:39
http://filipinaroses.com/picture.php?albumid=184&pictureid=1659

Growbags are bags with soil/compost in (bought from garden centres), you put them outside, just a little water is needed for maintenance.

You could just plant the vegies in the ground if you have a suitable garden :icon_lol:

what's a coldframe?

Ji&Ma
18th June 2009, 22:50
what's a coldframe?
It is exactly what you can see on the picture - that plastic (or can be made of glass) thingy if I'm not mistaken Tala....