PDA

View Full Version : passport and visa fees

neilr
7th November 2004, 18:59
hi, i'm a new member here and getting baffled.

All i want to know is how much it will cost my girlfriend to get a passport in phillipines and visitor visa.

i know you will have alarm bells ringing, but she is genuinely only coming for a holiday, i want to meet her and she me but i havent the time to go over there at the moment.

she seems to think that it is very expensive but from wht i can tell its only about 650 pesos for the passport but i dont know about the visa..

any advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Neil

ginapeterb
7th November 2004, 22:53
Hi Neil, thanks for coming on board, good to see you, my Forum Moderator Colleague Keith will no doubt wish to have his input here, however for me, their is plenty of information in the Courting and Relationships section, and also the UK Visa section.

All sections have very good up to date information, however in answer to your question, we have advised many like yourself in the past not to attempt to obtain a visitors visa for your girlfreind, in truth, she will be refused a visitors visa, as Filipinos are considered a "Flight risk".

As for her passport, she needs to go to the NSO (National Statistics Office) in the locality where she was born, even if she no longer lives there, she can obtain a up to date copy of her birth certificate on NSO Security paper, then take this to the DFA in her locality, I.e. that is the Department for Foreign Affairs, once having done this, she will need to pay the fee, and supply 2 passport size photos, the passport normally takes about 10 days to otbain, however for a small "Fee" the process can be made so much quicker, down to 2 days.

If your girlfriend genuinely wants to apply for a tourist visa into the UK, forget it, its a waste of your time.

I hope this helps, and if you do decide to apply for entry clearance for her at some late stage, you may prejudice that application.

Sorry, its the way it is.

neilr
8th November 2004, 01:34
bloody hell is it so bad ?

looks like i am going to go over after all, i hoped to avoid that until i was ready to maybe propose.

we have been writing and phoning for nearly a year now, and i thought it was a good idea and she was so keen to come for a holiday.

thanks for your valuable advice....

Neil

Admin
8th November 2004, 11:40
As Pete says, it may be a waste of money going the visitor route, but you could try it with support from a legal sponsor vouching for her, but that doesn't always work.

You could always meet her in Eire, as they have a much easier immigration due to the fact they don't have an immigration problem. But she still wouldn't be allowed over to the UK.

If you intened to marry in the future, then it also looks better to the UK immigration when you apply for a fiancee visa that you made the effort to go out there.

Keep proof of all flights, emails, letters, phone calls for the immigration.

neilr
8th November 2004, 14:05
Thanks again, we talked about it a lot last night and although disappointed i think she will be ok once the disappointment wears off.... dont they get upset...lol

She said a friend had come over on a work visa, but i thought that wasnt a good idea either, i dont want anything to spoil our chances.

I guess i am going to have to go over there, wish i could travel by land me and aircraft dont get on...lol.

I will keep you informed.

By the way ...brilliant site.

regards neil

ginapeterb
8th November 2004, 20:35
Hello Neil once again !, with regard to what people sometime say, someone will always tell you "Oh this one did that" and "This freind did this" someone is always over on something, the fact of the matter is, those OCW's who come here on short term work contracts, are only for a period of 2 years, and they are only issued with a visa by the Department for Work and Pensions in Sheffield, on the basis of a confirmed vacancy that cannot be filled locally, these OCW's even if one was your girlfriend, she would have to return to Manila at some stage after the visa expires, and then to make an application for a fiancee or spouse visa.

There is no quick fix in these situations, anyone I repeat anyone who advises you to try and get around the rules that control United Kingdom Immigration, is putting you and your girlfriend at risk, of

1. A Refusal to grant entry clearance
2. Being reported to the Philippine Authorities for them to take appropriate action.
3. Your girlfriend may be denied entry to the United Kingdom in the future.
4. You yourself may be sanctioned by the British Overseas Mission, and in some circumstances you may be denied entry to the Philippines.

I dont want to sound like the Merchant of death, but I cannot emphasize the dangers of listening to armchair immigration lawyers.

The information and advices you have received on this site are sound, and come from people who have not only been through the immigration processes, they also come from those who are in a similar situation to you, and have to wait and show patience with the entry clearance system.

I hope this helps.

Im glad your girlfiriend understands the situation, but it is in her best interests to comply and play the game.

neilr
9th November 2004, 00:06
Thanks again for your advice.

I dont want to jeopordise anything so i am going to play ball as you advised, It isnt going to be easy but at least i will get to see her either before christmas or early in new year when i go over there.

She is very patient, unlike me ...lol.

Thanks Neil

ginapeterb
9th November 2004, 00:17
you are welcome Neil, most Filipinas are very patient women, and undestand that things take time, after all they are used to it.

Let us know if you need any further advice, have a look around at some of our other postings, regarding the Philippines there is lots to enjoy.

Best wishes

Admin
9th November 2004, 11:56
At least you get to meet her family and try the local fish head soup, and dog fried rice :o

It'll be a lesson for you to see Filipino culture first hand.

As for flying, you stand more statistical chance of being killed in a car crash on the way to the airport. If that happens, it tends to be a bad start to the holiday ;D

neilr
9th November 2004, 14:02
lol.. be still my beating heart...yum.

Are they as bad as the thai's if it has a heartbeat eat it ? :o

i was sick just watching a take off at manchester, not the best flyer in the world.

Neil

Admin
10th November 2004, 12:37
Nothing to be worried about when flying, that never killed anyone, it's usually hitting the ground at 500+mph that does that :P ;D

neilr
10th November 2004, 19:24
who's best to fly with ?

even the sodding flights are confusing ::)

some two stop, some 1 stop... my luck would be via iraq...lol

Neil

Admin
11th November 2004, 11:20
Pete's listed most of the flights in another thread up above, but I always use Singapore Airlines, it is non-stop, to Singapore, and they are including free travel to Manila at the moment.

Make sure you book it on the 777 if you can, it's quicker, and fly by wire is much comfier, little turbulance.

Remember. In the case of a flight problem, your head goes between your own legs, not the young girls next to you ;D

neilr
11th November 2004, 17:52
lol....... ;D

ginapeterb
11th November 2004, 20:57
Jus to add to that, if you do have a problem on a flight, you can kiss your a.... goodbye, cos you aint gonna see it again, having said, that try British Airways and Philippine Airlines, you have to flap your arms on this intinerary.

neilr
11th November 2004, 21:02
great...the days of dan dare (danair) flights are not lost forever ;D

One other thing what s best way to do money transfers ?, western union is a rip off....

cheers Neil

Admin
11th November 2004, 23:34
Usually straight to her bank account. If she doesn't have one, tell her to open one with the Philippine National Bank, they do not take a 20% charge off like other corrupt banks.