PDA

View Full Version : Philippine food and western taste...........

Tawi2
7th May 2009, 10:32

Mrs.JMajor
7th May 2009, 10:40
:bigcry::bigcry::D If there is one...I will apply...... I love cooking....

Tawi2
7th May 2009, 11:16

bornatbirth
7th May 2009, 11:38
we have a gurka restaurant near us but its funny that you never see a philipino reataurant in your local high street.

serving up traditional food,im sure they will do well?

Tawi2
7th May 2009, 11:47

Florge
7th May 2009, 11:47
Coz... I am not there yet to open the first Pinoy resto... LOL

Tawi2
7th May 2009, 11:53

misscarie
7th May 2009, 18:22
:bigcry::bigcry::D If there is one...I will apply...... I love cooking....

But you don't know how to make Embutido :D LOL

Mrs.JMajor
7th May 2009, 18:39
But you don't know how to make Embutido :D LOL

:icon_lol: hello how are you? yeah I love cooking...eh,so what is the connection of applying to be a cook,wanted to learn from the chef,could be assistant chef:rolleyes:

:Hellooo: ganda baby mo ah:cwm12:

Mrs Daddy
7th May 2009, 19:00
Thats what I have thought before.If am rich I could do with one:D:D:D

keithAngel
7th May 2009, 20:31
It could be there is a limited market:rolleyes: food in the Fils was for me at the bottom of the list of reasons to go there

IainBusby
7th May 2009, 20:45
I heard tell there's one in Kenilworth, well at least I heard there's one that's run by a Filipino, but I don't know for certain if they do Filipino food.
Iain.

Florge
8th May 2009, 07:36
oh.. but my bf loves Pinoy food... more tasty than what he's used to...and besides, we only go to where the food tastes really good.. not just to any eatery...

thejarvs
8th May 2009, 08:11
I love pinoy cuisine :D I'm not sure how well a filipino restaurant would work here though, as 99% of the Chinese takeaways/restaurants don't really serve real Chinese food anyway. :NoNo:

Tawi2
8th May 2009, 09:53

Mrs.JMajor
8th May 2009, 10:16
What about start to build one filipino restaurant Tawi..I am sure you will have loads of customer:rolleyes: and you can find staff around,i guess:;);)

Florge
8th May 2009, 10:22
wonder if there's such a thing as authentic pinoy food.. as most of what we eat now are a fusion of spanish, chinese, and malay... just like our culture and tradition... would you mind telling us what is an example of an authentic pinoy food aside from the rice being cooked inside a kawayan like how the aetas did? just wondering....

Tawi2
8th May 2009, 10:49

Florge
8th May 2009, 11:17
ah.. that's kare-kare! (ox tail stew in peanut sauce).. I love it! My friends tell me I cook delicious kare-kare.. ot sure if it's authentic pinoy food though...

Dinuguan is authentic pinoy? betamax is authentic pinoy street food.. LOL... I have tried the sea urchin... yum! by star meat, you mean meat from star fish?

I am so busted now... not working here in the office... just reading posts.. so lazy today!

Tawi2
8th May 2009, 11:24

Florge
8th May 2009, 11:35
LOL... ewwww... never had one... I had tasted sgod... tastes like chicken... how about palaka, snake, wild cat, crocodile, monkey, or bayawak? Now I know what you meant by authentic pinoy food... LOL

Tawi2
8th May 2009, 11:46

Florge
9th May 2009, 15:34
Well, you can't get them there... except for the dogs, cat, and rat... eeeewwwww

RickyR
12th May 2009, 21:45
I didn't think the place in Earl's Court was too bad, yes the decor isn't great, but the food seemed alright.

irobot
12th May 2009, 22:02
Irobot..." Sunny...Different From The Rest... "

Hi There Peep`s...,

Perhaps that is why all i ever saw was people on their way home from work buying bags of cooked rice,goat or chicken....blah blah...

And if you visited they wanted Ice Cream,cooked Pork (or suckling pig ) and not forgetting the odd case of beer:omg:.... Phil :Britain:

somebody
12th May 2009, 22:11
We were in Joesphines during a nice sunny lunch time recently and for those who know fitzorovia area is a place where loads of young professionals go to eat with plenty of money. The street was heaving all the food places whatever budget were packed out.
Any resturant, bar or cafe with seats outside were full.

We turned up to early and wandered off and came back. We were shown to a table (the place was empty and the lady kind of wandered off. Then a bloke came along handed us some menus, as he said when the missus asked about the dinguagan its made for non phills (i think health n safety officers may also have a hand there) we ordered a selection of dishes. The food was ok. Two groups of diners looked at the menu one bloke came along and had a group who were to come along but from what i picked up some of the party were not keen and had stopped off at another eaterie.
So we had the entire place to oursleves. With three tables outside remaining empty.

The food was expensive (i was not worried as have paid far more in the same street) but anyone not used to the prices of the area (or claiming expenses many have set meals so people dont exceed their budget)for the quality of food would have been very angry. I know of at least 15 places including two budget sandwiches shops with in two streets which serve better food and value.

Would i go again with the missus yes because she liked the food, but i think she would rather go to an asian/pinoy store or two and stock up on foods with the same money rather than one meal.

Looking at one of the menus i think it would be very hard to take a Western or indeed Japanese group on a business meal to a typical pinoy resturant and ensure all were happy.

freedom2009
25th May 2009, 07:03
I have lived in the phils for a few years with my wife, i like alot of pinoy food, there is many outlets to choose from , from banoks , jolliebee , even Mc D and KFC have there own menus that differ from the UK you must try them while you are there,

I know in some ealier posts that it has been menationed that at times the food slow to be served or it not warm enough, the best thing i always found when ordering do state you wish to have the food served hot (init) and then it will come to that way... as pinoys are used to eating things colder than us ppl from UK.

If you go to the phils you must try spit pig or lechon as they call it there, that was one of my fav dishes, along with there beef steak special is a must,(but cant remeber the proper name they call it ill ask the mrs and get back to you), other fav foods places i loved were greenwich pizza which i thought was like are pizzahut here in Uk but it alot cheaper and alot taster hmmm yummy,,

They also have kenny rodgers chicken places which isnt bad either and there chicken is very yummy,,, i know the above places isnt real pinoy home made dishes but i am just explaining to people the differnt types of places were u can eat in the phils..

some restos in davao id recommend is harrana the spare ribs are amazing along with the milkfish, also there is a number of other restos nearby which are just awesome too, another fav of mine is cocos , and davao hilltop resto very nice, and if you want a nice drink go to bluepost were you can chill and play pool and have a drink and they also do food too,

Tawi2
25th May 2009, 09:30

tala
8th June 2009, 23:16
i actually think it is possible to have a mainstreamed pinoy restaurant.
my partner's irish and it's not the taste that puts him off
it's the preparation of the meats

basically, that means walang buto at walang fat.
so if you made kaldereta or nilaga and used meat cuts off the bone and without fat,
he loves it. binagoongan goes down well too.

the sour tasting dishes like sinigang and tinola are definitely for pinoy only.
though you wonder why the thai tom yum is quite popular.

as for the dried fish like dilis, tuyo, daing and the salted eggs
- i think we'll keep the specialites to ourselves!

Tawi2
8th June 2009, 23:20

tala
8th June 2009, 23:27
i'd say it will be a between thai and chinese.
i'd say he'd like more pinoy food
kaso hindi ako marunong.
i pretty much make up what i cook.

Jay&Zobel
9th June 2009, 12:57
the sour tasting dishes like sinigang and tinola are definitely for pinoy only.

as for the dried fish like dilis, tuyo, daing and the salted eggs
- i think we'll keep the specialites to ourselves!

hehe... Tinola is my husband's all time fave meal. He likes it a lot especially the boiled rice is soaked in the soup, I even use chicken wings because the meat is a lot tastier:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3: (lol, not very conventional way of cooking tinola):Erm::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Salted eggs with tomatoes too...:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

IanB
9th June 2009, 13:46
Thai food is well recognised as being one of the best cuisines in the world - but I am biased! My limited experience of Philippine food is that it is pleasant and hearty, but not distinctive or particularly special. My gf keeps promising to cook me spaghetti when we get married - so I am worried about the effect on my already huge waistline!

Having said that, I know a lovely cafe near Wembley which is run by Philippine people and has wonderful food - but not really Pfilippine food.

Tawi2
9th June 2009, 14:13

Jay&Zobel
9th June 2009, 14:27
My gf keeps promising to cook me spaghetti when we get married - so I am worried about the effect on my already huge waistline!

Hahhahaa... Pinoy Spaghetti is different, it is sweetpinoy style lol...:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::D:D

Philippinos always cook spaghetti on birthdays "For long life" :icon_lol: I always thought that was cute :icon_lol:

It's chinese thing you see... lol... Birthdays and any other occasion will never be complete without PinoySpaghetti lol...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

My husband was even amazed that you can have spaghettis in take-aways! (Jollibee & McDonalds!)
:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
11th June 2009, 23:33
hehe... Tinola is my husband's all time fave meal. He likes it a lot especially the boiled rice is soaked in the soup, I even use chicken wings because the meat is a lot tastier:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3: (lol, not very conventional way of cooking tinola):Erm::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Salted eggs with tomatoes too...:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

I like tinola come back for 2nd 3rds and 4ths:) to me its a funky stew:D