PDA

View Full Version : If you could introduce something to the Philippines what would it be?

RickyR
22nd April 2009, 21:47
I'd give the Philippines CADBURY'S CREAM EGGS

Tawi2
22nd April 2009, 21:54
Food?Has to be a decent selection of cheeses,fresh milk,decent wholewheat bread without added sugars :xxgrinning--00xx3:

bornatbirth
22nd April 2009, 22:02
cash machines that are slighty quicker?

btw mots too :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
22nd April 2009, 22:02
Whoops,silly me,just remembered I got some passable wholewheat type bread a few weeks ago in Dumaguete,downstairs in Superlees on Perdices is a coffeeshop/bakers,right hand side of the stairs as you walk down after entering in the main entrance,and their cinnamon bread is to die for :xxgrinning--00xx3:Just couldnt get the lurpak or cheese to complement it :doh

keithAngel
22nd April 2009, 23:45
Pinocchio's nose:rolleyes:

bornatbirth
22nd April 2009, 23:50
Pinocchio's nose:rolleyes:

before or after a lie? :Erm:

Arthur Little
23rd April 2009, 00:06
PIPE tobacco!!

keithAngel
23rd April 2009, 00:19
before or after a lie? :Erm:

Yup:icon_lol::icon_evil:

johncar54
23rd April 2009, 07:42
How about needing to produce just ONE I.D. document ?

KeithD
23rd April 2009, 09:01
Reliable fast broadband complete with electric :rolleyes:

adam&chryss
23rd April 2009, 09:43
Some wholemeal food of some sort ( not brown bread thats just white bread dyed brown ).
Driving tests so you can get somewhere at more than 30mph.
Security guards that actually look into your bag for a bomb....
A firing squad for people found dumping rubbish into the beautiful rivers, should get the population down a bit......

KeithD
23rd April 2009, 09:47
( not brown bread thats just white bread dyed brown )......
:Erm: I think you'll find it is the other way round, the raw ingredients of bread are brown!

Alan
23rd April 2009, 10:23
Decent beer!!!

Al.:)

Tawi2
23rd April 2009, 10:24
PIPE tobacco!!
You can get natural tobacco Arthur,I saw an old lady selling bundles of it in Larena marketplace 2 weeks ago,and happily puffing away on a big fat tinustos :icon_lol:

KeithD
23rd April 2009, 10:54
You can get natural tobacco Arthur,
It just seems to taste like dried tea :rolleyes:

Sconnie
23rd April 2009, 12:43
Greggs

Jay&Zobel
23rd April 2009, 14:02
1) Online shopping!

2) Using chip & pin ONLY
not pen, paper & signature plus ID as proof ;-) when purchasing

3) Decent Teabags and Fresh Milk (not UHT) lol

4) SatNav ;-) but you don't need this as you can just ask anyone the direction anyway

adam&chryss
23rd April 2009, 14:14
:Erm: I think you'll find it is the other way round, the raw ingredients of bread are brown!

True, but chocolate brown?

Tawi2
23rd April 2009, 14:40
Amen to a decent cuppa with fresh milk Jay,nowadays I take my own T-bags with me,all they sell in Pinas in the boonies is Liptons,and three-in-one cape us Yuukkssssss :ARsurrender:

Jay&Zobel
23rd April 2009, 14:51
Amen to a decent cuppa with fresh milk Jay,nowadays I take my own T-bags with me,all they sell in Pinas in the boonies is Liptons,and three-in-one cape us Yuukkssssss :ARsurrender:

hey... lol it's Zobel posting here.. lol My Jay hardly visit/post here hehe :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Liptons aren't that nice hehe...

Sophie
23rd April 2009, 16:07
hmmmm......:Erm: I probably would introduce SUN TAN LOTIONS :D:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

IainBusby
23rd April 2009, 16:33
Strong anti-corruption laws with life sentences for anyone in govenment, the judiciary or anyone holding an official position (no matter how lowly) in any govenment or local government department whatsoever, coupled with a well staffed, well paid anti-corruption investigation unit.

I have always thought that the corruption in government, which seems to have trickled down to almost everywhere in the Philippines is the main thing that makes the country much poorer than it ought to be.

Iain.

adam&chryss
23rd April 2009, 16:47
hmmmm......:Erm: I probably would introduce SUN TAN LOTIONS :D:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Good call!
Weird that in Phil its hard to find suntan lotion yet here in UK where the sun hardly shines there are shelves full of it!

Sophie
23rd April 2009, 16:54
[QUOTE=IainBusby;130192]
I have always thought that the corruption in government, which seems to have trickled down to almost everywhere in the Philippines is the main thing that makes the country much poorer than it ought to be.

Exactly :xxgrinning--00xx3: That's why philippines doesn't progress and move forward, its not because the country is poor, on the contrary, philippines is very rich in natural resources. It's actually the corruption that makes the country poor. Those in power enrich themselves further and the ordinary citizens and taxpayers has to suffer and pay for everything this dirty politicians steal and corrupt. I guess its the "bad system" that has to be stopped. Otherwise, even those politicians who start with pure intentions to only serve and help the public with no hidden agenda, ends up being eaten and corrupted by the system as well.

eljean
23rd April 2009, 17:48
solar energy?instead of paying so much electric why not get the most of our sunny weather over there?:D

vbkelly
23rd April 2009, 19:04
solar energy?instead of paying so much electric why not get the most of our sunny weather over there?:D

yeah solar energy but filipino can not afford it so expensive.

aromulus
23rd April 2009, 19:20
Free johnnies........:omg:

Mind you, being very resourceful, they would fill them with water and sell them to drivers stuck at traffic jams....:doh

IainBusby
23rd April 2009, 19:22
Fish and chip shops!

Tawi2
23rd April 2009, 19:25
Fish and chip shops!
Harry Ramsdens used to have a branch in Hong Kong,in Wanchai,they also intended to open a branch in Singapore to cater for ex-pats,dont know if they ever did though?Best fish and chip suppers in Asia but sadly they never made it to pinas.

aromulus
23rd April 2009, 19:32
Harry Ramsdens

I avoid them like the pest now.........:NoNo:

:omg:

Tawi2
23rd April 2009, 19:38
I ate in them years ago,had a few meals in Hong Kong,several of the staff there were Pinoys/pinays including my mates wife lollie who worked in there,but havent had decent fish and chips in a while sadly,I am currently addicted to Thai because my sisters hubby has a Thai restaurant so sis always drops me take-aways off at home when she is feeling sorry for me :icon_lol: If anyone knows a decent Indian Restaurant in Manila or Cebu I would be interested in the Addie?I ate in a nice one in Davao recently,the owner is an excellent guy,real character :D

Jamesey
23rd April 2009, 20:05
It's gotta be bread withour sugar and proper sandwiches. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

My wife is now a convert to "proper sandwiches". They're home made with proper crusty bakers bread various delicious fillings. Her favourite is cheese and pickle! Masarap! :D

Jay&Zobel
23rd April 2009, 20:13
It's gotta be bread withour sugar and proper sandwiches. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

My wife is now a convert to "proper sandwiches". They're home made with proper crusty bakers bread various delicious fillings. Her favourite is cheese and pickle! Masarap! :D

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3: oh yeah! proper sandwich indeed!

Bread, butter and any choice of fillings! (Butter really makes the sandwich tastes nicer!!!:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:)

Before it was a NO NO for me as I find it quite yuckie & eeewyyy...
Just imagine: Bread with butter and Jam filling or Bread with butter & jam + peanutbutter!!!? lol :NoNo::NoNo::NoNo: But now, butter is a MUST!!!

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

To add:

PROPER STEAK! Medium rare or rare :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:not too well done hehehe...

Tawi2
23rd April 2009, 20:18
PROPER STEAK?Not chewy,elastic,shoe-leather like,20 year old carabao then :Erm:

Jamesey
23rd April 2009, 20:18
If anyone knows a decent Indian Restaurant in Manila or Cebu I would be interested in the Addie?

A friend and I scoured Manila and Cebu for a decent Indian restaurant a few years ago. We never found one. But to clarify, we were looking for an "English style Indian", which is different to an "Indian Indian". :Erm: We even tried some of the places in the Indian enclave of Manila, but it wasn't what we were looking for. :doh

Back then, a few places came close. Persian Palate in Cebu was OK, but I don't know if it's still open. They had a branch in Ayala and one downtown.

Recently, a decent Indian has opened in Makati. It's on Jupiter St, but I can't remember the name. It's not far from Makati Ave.

Probably the best one that I've been to is on Boracay. The food is nice and it's a great place to hang out, with low tables and cushions on the floor. Try one of their plain lassis! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

But none of the restaurants compare to a late-night Indian after a few beers. Don't forget the poppadoms and chutney wheel! :icon_win:

Tawi2
23rd April 2009, 20:23
I think I saw the indian resto with the scatter-cushions Jamesey,was it at station 2?Just to add the worst Indian meal I ever ate was actually in Delhi,the best was in Southall or Hounslow,as you rightly said "English/indian" is different to "Indian/indian" :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Jamesey
23rd April 2009, 20:34
I think I saw the indian resto with the scatter-cushions Jamesey,was it at station 2?Just to add the worst Indian meal I ever ate was actually in Delhi,the best was in Southall or Hounslow,as you rightly said "English/indian" is different to "Indian/indian" :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yes, it's near Boat Station 2 and has got a nice upstairs area.

I'm glad that you know what I'm on about with the "English Indian" thing. I was worried that everyone would think I'm mad!!!! :Cuckoo::Cuckoo::Cuckoo:

Tawi2
23rd April 2009, 20:40
No mate,theres a big difference,the chicken "Curries" I had in India were basically chicken legs floating in Ghee :ARsurrender:They tasted "Fowl" :rolleyes: The Indian resto I was in the other week in Davao only sells mild curries,the Indian/Canadian owner told me no one ever asks for hotter,and local people even find the mild a little too spicy :icon_lol:

somebody
23rd April 2009, 20:46
Gordon Brown

Then tell all the OFW's who are out of work this man had a major part to play in your lack of Job:D

In fact we could sent the lot over there, im sure they wont be claiming any return flights on expenses.

Jay&Zobel
23rd April 2009, 20:56
:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

To add:

PROPER STEAK! Medium rare or rare :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:not too well done hehehe...

PROPER STEAK?Not chewy,elastic,shoe-leather like,20 year old carabao then :Erm:

My perfect steak:
> atleast an inch and a half thick,
> you can actually taste the meat itself (not very well marinated) just appreciate the taste of the meat rather than the overpowering flavours.. (hehe hard to explain, hope you get what I mean? lol)...

eljean
23rd April 2009, 21:28
hey... lol it's Zobel posting here.. lol My Jay hardly visit/post here hehe :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Liptons aren't that nice hehe...

awwww another cutie baby:BouncyHappy::Hellooo::cwm12:

i am on about jay&zobel avatar:D

Tawi2
23rd April 2009, 21:42
:icon_lol: Someones feeling broody :icon_lol:

Pepe n Pilar
24th April 2009, 08:13
:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3: oh yeah! proper sandwich indeed!

Bread, butter and any choice of fillings! (Butter really makes the sandwich tastes nicer!!!:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:)

Before it was a NO NO for me as I find it quite yuckie & eeewyyy...
Just imagine: Bread with butter and Jam filling or Bread with butter & jam + peanutbutter!!!? lol :NoNo::NoNo::NoNo: But now, butter is a MUST!!!

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

To add:

I like toasted bread with butter and marmalade or jam BUT not peanutbutter:NoNo:.... For me butter is a MUST....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yea medium rare steak is the best.....:):Hellooo:

LEAHnew
24th April 2009, 11:29
:rolleyes:as Filipino everybody's post are interesting:xxgrinning--00xx3:
:Erm:but seems my fiance a bit strange for introducing us the MARMITE spread:vomit-smiley-011::D he brought from his last visit here:D
I tried once but never try again:doh:yikes:anybody from Phil love it :Help1::Cuckoo::icon_lol::icon_lol:
oh I hate it:doh:D:yikes:

alicat
24th April 2009, 11:36
:rolleyes:as Filipino everybody's post are interesting:xxgrinning--00xx3:
:Erm:but seems my fiance a bit strange for introducing us the MARMITE spread:vomit-smiley-011::D he brought from his last visit here:D
I tried once but never try again:doh:yikes:anybody from Phil love it :Help1::Cuckoo::icon_lol::icon_lol:
oh I hate it:doh:D:yikes:

i hate it:yikes::vomit-smiley-011:

LEAHnew
24th April 2009, 11:47
i hate it:yikes::vomit-smiley-011:

:D:Rasp::cwm12:

Arthur Little
24th April 2009, 12:36
How about Tesco's Diet Orange? :) ... beats Coke, Sprite, 7-Up, etc., anyday, and a 2-litre bottle is infinitely less expensive into the bargain!

charlwill
24th April 2009, 12:45
Fish and chip shops!

Harry Ramsdens used to have a branch in Hong Kong,in Wanchai,they also intended to open a branch in Singapore to cater for ex-pats,dont know if they ever did though?Best fish and chip suppers in Asia but sadly they never made it to pinas.
In the city where I come from we had restaurant there that sell a decent fish and chips. Lol.

Arthur Little
24th April 2009, 12:49
In the city where I come from we a restaurant there that sell a decent fish and chips. Lol.

Where's that then? ... DO tell!

charlwill
24th April 2009, 12:55
Where's that then? ... DO tell!
That's in Bacolod City, Negros Occidental.

Tawi2
24th April 2009, 13:02
The city of smiles?Where about in Bacolod?One of the restos in Goldenfields complex?

charlwill
24th April 2009, 13:08
The city of smiles?Where about in Bacolod?One of the restos in Goldenfields complex?
Yes, it is indeed a city of smiles. Nop, not in Goldenfield. It is in Dona Juliana Subd. , Hernaiz Street.

Tawi2
24th April 2009, 13:17
I was on Negros a few weeks ago,only went to Dumaguete this time but I have been to Bacolod often when getting a boat over to Iloilo-guimaras,I will look for the shop next time I am there,is it owned by an expat?

charlwill
24th April 2009, 13:28
I was on Negros a few weeks ago,only went to Dumaguete this time but I have been to Bacolod often when getting a boat over to Iloilo-guimaras,I will look for the shop next time I am there,is it owned by an expat?
Oh ok. Not so sure about it, but that is a very good resto. I will talk to my friends and will tell you the name of that place.

Arthur Little
24th April 2009, 15:03
1. to say please and thank you.
2. do not stand on the left side of escalators so that other people can over take,especially on the train terminal.
3. must have cycle track for people who likes to go to work by bicycle.

1. :NoNo: No need! Filipinos, on the whole, are already better-versed in using the words "please and thank you" than most Brits ... and the children are better mannered, [in MY experience, anyway]!

2. Hadn't noticed, so cannot comment.

3. In total agreement.

Ach, to pot (pot), can I be ?typically unBritish :icon_lol: (just joking) and extend to you a belated warm welcome to this site.

Jay&Zobel
24th April 2009, 17:53
Snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jay&Zobel
24th April 2009, 17:55
Direct Debits!!!
Standing Order!!!
ONLINE Banking!!!

hehehe... no need to pay over the counter, easy & convenient

Pepe n Pilar
24th April 2009, 19:17
Direct Debits!!!
Standing Order!!!
ONLINE Banking!!!

Online banking is already being practiced in the Phils. You can enroll your acct so you can enquire your balance on the phone. You can also have an anytime bank statements, just print it. You can also pay your bills using the ATM, debit your acct and credit loads to your mobile phone.

Tawi2
24th April 2009, 19:30
Snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your wish is granted :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vGg_kstpGo

Jay&Zobel
24th April 2009, 20:05
Online banking is already being practiced in the Phils. You can enroll your acct so you can enquire your balance on the phone. You can also have an anytime bank statements, just print it. You can also pay your bills using the ATM, debit your acct and credit loads to your mobile phone.

oh cool maybe i am too outdated hehe...:Erm::Erm::icon_lol:
thanks!

Jay&Zobel
24th April 2009, 20:05
Your wish is granted :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vGg_kstpGo

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::icon_lol:

topbuzz121
25th April 2009, 23:55
Free johnnies........:omg:

Mind you, being very resourceful, they would fill them with water and sell them to drivers stuck at traffic jams....:doh

LOL, very good! made me laugh! would be very handy in traffic jams! how about marmite ? i sent my girlfriend a squeezy jar and she loves it :D

topbuzz121
25th April 2009, 23:59
i introduced 'marmite' to my girlfriend, i sent her a squeezy jar and she loves it! shame the rest of the family dont!

fred
26th April 2009, 07:18
I can get most things that I need here these days and we bake our own bread so thats one less thing to worry about although the french sticks from the mall are pretty good. We can get stuff like HP sauce and pretty good sausages from a local European butcher.
Local Booze is really cheap and imported Polish,russian vodka is half UK prices..We got an English geezer making chicken/steak@ kidney pies up the road...120,00 PHP with proper chips..
Not too shabby!
To be honest I dont miss a thing about the UK except family which an hour a week on Skype sorts out.

Regards,
Fred.

keithAngel
26th April 2009, 10:14

You have to research it properly though as very few banks are "partnered" with all of the three major bills lecky ,cable PDLT:Brick:

topbuzz121
26th April 2009, 15:35
hmmmm wall's bacon ? Haribo's lol my hun loved them!!

Jay&Zobel
26th April 2009, 16:41
Direct Debits!!!
Standing Order!!!
ONLINE Banking!!!

oh cool maybe i am too outdated hehe...:Erm::Erm::icon_lol:
thanks!

You have to research it properly though as very few banks are "partnered" with all of the three major bills lecky ,cable PDLT:Brick:

Yeah... not all but it's getting there... :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:
Scares me sometimes tbh. Before you can hardly apply for credit cards without them checking your financial status but now, the CC companies are enticing you to have CC in no time... :NoNo::NoNo:

LadyJ
29th April 2009, 22:29
I know this is not something new but I'd like to intoduce free condoms, contraceptive coils (IUD) and pills.

irobot
29th April 2009, 23:32
Irobot..." Sunny...Different From The Rest "

If you could introduce something to the Philippines what would it be?...

Irobot...would like water from the tap you could drink...a street cash point without an armed guard standing by...more ladies doing body searches in shopping malls... some sort of heating in a cinema with a range above minus 5 degrees...Phil..

leahneilcheeka
30th April 2009, 12:03
winter???? to make it more cooler...coz i've heard it is too hot in there now...

Jay&Zobel
30th April 2009, 13:16
winter???? to make it more cooler...coz i've heard it is too hot in there now...

There is a tropical depression in Bicol (my hometown) right now... hehe... the weather there is soooo unpredictable... You get rains/storm even if it's in the middle of Summer hehe...

_____

Introduce to the Philippines:

Good drainage system!!!! (To accommodate the melted snow hehhehe)
Proper waste disposal! (Recylcing bins and all)

johncar54
30th April 2009, 13:19
Can't think of a thing

keithAngel
30th April 2009, 13:40
it was on the tip of my tounge though:Erm:

bornatbirth
30th April 2009, 14:52
honest policemen :xxgrinning--00xx3:

and a vegeterian restaurant :icon_lol:

and fat people :Erm::icon_lol:

NotYou
30th April 2009, 22:55
Their country, do as they want.

Wouldn't change/introduce a thing. Wouldn't be so conceited.

leahneilcheeka
1st May 2009, 08:39
the wage i'm getting or more for my job!!!.... i would be home the next day if that happens...

Jay&Zobel
1st May 2009, 15:18

Such a KJ :NoNo:
Puro na lang negatibo mga sinasabi nitong taong ito, ano sa tingin ninyo?

sunshine
1st May 2009, 15:20

oo nga napansin ko din:NoNo: parang galit sa mundo:cwm23::Erm:

bornatbirth
1st May 2009, 20:09

mad at his wife? :Erm::icon_lol:

Pepe n Pilar
1st May 2009, 20:29

Yes some banks (mostly of the Commercial banks) has "tie-ups" with those companies (Meralco, PLDT, Sky cable to name a few). So if you maintain an account with them, you can pay online or use the ATM's of their banks or any other ATM as long as they are a member bank of your maintaining bank. This is called "convenience banking". Ex. BPI and Globe Telecommunications Co. By using the ATM card you can debit your BPI account and credit a load to your mobile phone if you have a globe simcard.:):xxgrinning--00xx3:
Take Note there is a service charge per withdrawal if you use an ATM other than your bank's ATM.

monkeyface
1st May 2009, 21:23
My friend said: "proper bacon"

when is a bacon proper? ;)

NotYou
1st May 2009, 22:02
Such a KJ etc (rest rather rudely in Tagalog),

Ask a daft question....

bornatbirth
2nd May 2009, 08:47

Ask a daft question....

thats why you get your wife to translate? :xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
2nd May 2009, 21:32
Yeah... not all but it's getting there... :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:
Scares me sometimes tbh. Before you can hardly apply for credit cards without them checking your financial status but now, the CC companies are enticing you to have CC in no time... :NoNo::NoNo:

I read and heard that from people in Phil, credit is becoming how it was in the west untill the crunch:rolleyes:

Mrs Daddy
2nd May 2009, 22:25
get rid of corrupt government officials:bigcry::cwm23:

estherboaz
2nd May 2009, 22:30
Car boot sale

Mrs Daddy
2nd May 2009, 22:32
oh!didnt know esther you are a fun of that as well:D

joebloggs
2nd May 2009, 22:44
a ban on boxing :icon_lol:

and a ban on boxers becoming politicians :D

Mrs Daddy
2nd May 2009, 22:52
a ban on boxing :icon_lol:

and a ban on boxers becoming politicians :D

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: what would manny think:Erm:

Jay&Zobel
3rd May 2009, 02:07

mad at his wife? :Erm::icon_lol:

Ask a daft question....

thats why you get your wife to translate? :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

MR NOT YOU, the statements weren't even rude... :NoNo::NoNo:

I read and heard that from people in Phil, credit is becoming how it was in the west untill the crunch:rolleyes:

And PI will become like the west to in no time :NoNo::NoNo::NoNo: Sad...

Pepe n Pilar
3rd May 2009, 13:12
Car boot sale

Is this the same as the ukay ukay? If so then it is already in the Phils...:)

Pepe n Pilar
3rd May 2009, 13:19

Yeah... before if you want to apply for a CC it takes long before it will be approved and loads of requirements from the applicant aside from the financial status. As if you're begging from them just to have a CC but now applications are everywhere. When you go to your bank they will ask you if you already have a CC because if you don't have they will give you the appl form and brochures. Even if you're just walking in the Malls the applications are being distributed by agents and stalls are built in the promenade for them to promote their CC, you're being approach by them and they encourage you to sign up. Right there you can apply for a CC. It's just that easy.... Then it is now the people who will say " no thanks , i don't need that"...Times has changed....:D

Mrs Daddy
3rd May 2009, 13:40
Is this the same as the ukay ukay? If so then it is already in the Phils...:)

Its not quite an ukay2 you find different sorts of stuff from furnitures,appliances,toys and so on and so forth:)

scottishbride
3rd May 2009, 13:54
Maybe... Lamb!?:Erm:

somebody
3rd May 2009, 19:03
Yeah... before if you want to apply for a CC it takes long before it will be approved and loads of requirements from the applicant aside from the fiancial status. As if you're begging from them just to have a CC but now applications are everywhere. When you go to your bank they will ask you if you already have a CC because if you don't have they will give you the appl form and brochures. Even if you're just walking in the Malls the applications are being distributed by agents and stalls are built in the promenade for them to promote their CC, you're being approach by them and they encourage you to sign up. Right there you can apply for a CC. It's just that easy.... Then it is now the people who will say " no thanks , i don't need that"...Times has changed....:D

That is very very scary and I hope (but hold little chance of it happening) the goverment clamp down fast.

As people saw many people made a fortune in the west and elsewhere and then got very little comeback from the mess they created.

I know for a fact the Wife and her friends, plus her young peer group relatives who are the highly educated people phill needs to push on. Have very little knowledge and experience of credit (seen interviews of young professional indians as well on the same issue) who have no older people who really understand what its all about to guide them.

One thing I dont want to see in phill is the same mess some people in the west found themselves in:NoNo:

conie
3rd May 2009, 21:23
Its always nice when the door automatically opens for you like....OPEN SESAME!!!

Jay&Zobel
4th May 2009, 21:47

Yeah... before if you want to apply for a CC it takes long before it will be approved and loads of requirements from the applicant aside from the fiancial status. As if you're begging from them just to have a CC but now applications are everywhere. When you go to your bank they will ask you if you already have a CC because if you don't have they will give you the appl form and brochures. Even if you're just walking in the Malls the applications are being distributed by agents and stalls are built in the promenade for them to promote their CC, you're being approach by them and they encourage you to sign up. Right there you can apply for a CC. It's just that easy.... Then it is now the people who will say " no thanks , i don't need that"...Times has changed....:D

That is very very scary and I hope (but hold little chance of it happening) the goverment clamp down fast.

As people saw many people made a fortune in the west and elsewhere and then got very little comeback from the mess they created.

I know for a fact the Wife and her friends, plus her young peer group relatives who are the highly educated people phill needs to push on. Have very little knowledge and experience of credit (seen interviews of young professional indians as well on the same issue) who have no older people who really understand what its all about to guide them.

One thing I dont want to see in phill is the same mess some people in the west found themselves in:NoNo:

:NoNo::NoNo::NoNo::NoNo::NoNo: It's the purchasing power feeling you see...:NoNo::NoNo: In the PI it is quite very new. People feel "different" when using their Plastic moneys, as if "Hey, look I have a Plastic Card I am rich, I am "in!" " type style thing... But the truth is, it is rather scary if they don't know how to use it sensibly/pay it before it's due...

bornatbirth
4th May 2009, 21:57
the ricky hatton bed!

as soon as you lay on it,your out for the count :Erm::icon_lol:

Gavanddal
19th May 2009, 19:31
B&Q Warehouse so I find everything we need to do our house up!

future=dreams
19th May 2009, 23:08
My friend said: "proper bacon"

when is a bacon proper? ;)

when its not full of extra water it's easy to make your own rub salt in to pork for a week its bacon can either eat or smoke it then eat.:):Rasp::cwm12:

David House
20th May 2009, 12:12
1) Separation of Church and State, with a strictly enforced removal of all church influence over public policy.
2) An independant media prepared to tell the truth and protected by the Government.
3) State sponsored education programmes designed to ensure that morality, in all it's forms, is raised to the level expected of all true Christians.
4) The removal of the profit motive from all educational instituations and the imposition of high standards of teaching and independantly monitored examinations.
5) A complete overhaul of the banking system, to encourage a flow of inward investments.
6) Punish anyone found guilty of corruption by ensuring that they feel "ashamed" in their own community by having to undertake menial tasks in public. In this way it will become an unattractive activity.
7) Reward anyone able to bring the corrupt to justice. In this way the people can protect themselves and get some benefit.
8) Remove guns from the streets, from the public and the police. Anyone who is found in possession of a gun should face jail. Anyone who uses one should face life. Gun clubs and shooting ranges to be closed.

bornatbirth
20th May 2009, 12:20
considering everyone is at it!

there will be alot on the streets doing menial tasks and together with the poor the streets are going to be busy?

nigel
20th May 2009, 21:35
A decent health care system.

aromulus
21st May 2009, 08:05
1) Separation of Church and State, with a strictly enforced removal of all church influence over public policy.
2) An independant media prepared to tell the truth and protected by the Government.
3) State sponsored education programmes designed to ensure that morality, in all it's forms, is raised to the level expected of all true Christians.
4) The removal of the profit motive from all educational instituations and the imposition of high standards of teaching and independantly monitored examinations.
5) A complete overhaul of the banking system, to encourage a flow of inward investments.
6) Punish anyone found guilty of corruption by ensuring that they feel "ashamed" in their own community by having to undertake menial tasks in public. In this way it will become an unattractive activity.
7) Reward anyone able to bring the corrupt to justice. In this way the people can protect themselves and get some benefit.
8) Remove guns from the streets, from the public and the police. Anyone who is found in possession of a gun should face jail. Anyone who uses one should face life. Gun clubs and shooting ranges to be closed.

For a dreadful moment I thought you were being serious.....:doh

You talking about the Uk, right...????:Erm:

David House
21st May 2009, 09:01
I know I am being very ambitious and progress would be slow. I also accept that some might also apply, in the public perception at least, to the UK. With all the present problems the UK though remains in a better position on all of those targets than the Philippines. Corruption exists everywhere, but is not the culture in the UK as it is in the Philippines. The Church does not strangle the life out of progress as it does there. We don't see guns on every street corner, or in every shop doorway. We can argue about morality but the duplicity found in the Philippines I think gives them the edge in that department. Why then do I still love the place? It's the people. Always happy and willing to help. If only some of their problems could be solved, and they could, the country would really prosper again.

aromulus
21st May 2009, 09:16
:NoNo:
I know I am being very ambitious and progress would be slow. I also accept that some might also apply, in the public perception at least, to the UK. With all the present problems the UK though remains in a better position on all of those targets than the Philippines. Corruption exists everywhere, but is not the culture in the UK as it is in the Philippines. The Church does not strangle the life out of progress as it does there. We don't see guns on every street corner, or in every shop doorway. We can argue about morality but the duplicity found in the Philippines I think gives them the edge in that department. Why then do I still love the place? It's the people. Always happy and willing to help. If only some of their problems could be solved, and they could, the country would really prosper again.

I cannot remember who said this but.... :Erm:

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people"....:doh

Also if you take into account knife crime, the Uk and especially London, are well up in the league of gratuitious violence....:NoNo:

David House
21st May 2009, 09:49
I cannot remember who said this but....

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people"....

Also if you take into account knife crime, the Uk and especially London, are well up in the league of gratuitious violence

Yes, of course, but the availability of guns, in the hands of the angry, drunk or simply poor is not a good idea is it? I don't buy the "self defence" and "protection" arguments with which the Americans justify their possession. Very strict controls over manufacture, import and possession won't stop determined criminals but would reduce the overall impact of guns on the majority of us. Knife crime is another problem, and more difficult to deal with. I don't pretend I have an answer to that but that is no reason not to remove guns from the scene.

Tawi2
21st May 2009, 10:34
The availability of guns doesnt significantly increase the murder rate in a place,if someone has evil intentions he will use a claw hammer,a club,any weapon thats at hand really,in fact I stayed in a village once which hadnt experienced a murder in years,despite the fact every man and his dog was walking round with an AK slung over their shoulder and a .45 ACP stuck in their waistband.I dont think gun clubs are a bad thing at all,as for disarming the male population of pinas its just not going to happen,its the macho spanish culture the same as their love of boxing and cock fighting,I met some very well educated pinoys with a passion for weaponry,the philippines has far more pressing problems than the availability of hand guns.

Tawi2
21st May 2009, 10:56
"the availability of guns, in the hands of the angry, drunk or simply poor is not a good idea is it?"

Yup,those poor folks :icon_lol: Anyone remember the "Accident" in the Royal Nepalese household a few years back,when a prince was cleaning his machine gun?It "Accidentally" went off in several rooms and wiped out his family :Erm:Lots of similar incidents,a US soldier has just recently shot dead five of his colleagues in Baghdad :Erm: "Guns dont kill people,people kill people" :xxgrinning--00xx3:

bornatbirth
21st May 2009, 11:01
and if you didnt have guns?

David House
21st May 2009, 12:14
and if you didnt have guns?

People would not get shot. Of course other weapons are available and murders would still occur, no-one in their right mind would claim that they would not. The question is, do guns increase or decrease the risk? Those who claim they deter crime have a legitimate viewpoint. I just happen to disagree. I don't ague it is the most pressing problem, far from it, but the removal of lethal weapons from society everywhere is on my wish list. As for gun clubs, I suppose whilst guns are legal then people must be trained to use them safely. However using guns for "sport" offends me. Just because it satifies a machismo urge does not make it right, nor does the concept that it is a manly thing to go hunting. OK, if you live in a society which still needs to hunt to survive it is acceptable, but not in our civilised world. We have moved past that.

Tawi2
21st May 2009, 12:19
Using guns for sport offends you David?Sport also includes target shooting and clay pigeon shooting,driving fast is a machismo urge,ever did it for the exhileration you feel David?As for civilised world,most of this planet isnt,asias the biggest continent,large areas are far from civilised :ARsurrender:

bornatbirth
21st May 2009, 12:34
take alook what happened to gun clubs here?

two mass murder sprees and take a look in america,look at the body count from guns.

my brother inlaw went and got a pistol for protection but what will happen when hes not there and my mom inlaw and the maid use it,they will end up shooting each other?

Tawi2
21st May 2009, 12:45
I have had licenced weapons all my life,my son was shooting a .38 on a range when he was 8 years old,I never once felt the need to shoot someone with a weapon I held on a private licence,its kind of elitist to say allowing poor folks no access to a weapon as it isnt a good idea,a weapon is whatever is at hand :icon_lol: I think more people in Pinas die by stabbing every year than shooting,knife-licence?:icon_lol:Like I said,the Philippines has bigger fish to fry,but thats their business,not ours.

David House
21st May 2009, 13:59
Using guns for sport offends you David?Sport also includes target shooting and clay pigeon shooting,driving fast is a machismo urge,ever did it for the exhileration you feel David?As for civilised world,most of this planet isnt,asias the biggest continent,large areas are far from civilised :ARsurrender:

Yes, all gun sport offends me, including target shooting and clay pigeons, just because they use guns, which in my opinion should be restricted only to the military. I want to see guns totally removed from the public perception of a normal life. Just having them around makes life more dangerous in my view. I am sorry that those who love them would lose out but if it becomes a majority view then they will have to accept it. I just hope Obama shows the way in the USA and gets tough with the NRA! No, I have never felt the need to drive fast because of a machismo urge. I don't feel any compulsion to prove my maleness that way, or in any other way. I accept that large parts of Asia could not be described as "civilised" in the way we are in the UK but they aspire to be like us, so as an aspiration I would encourage them to make this a target.

lordfortesque
22nd May 2009, 16:19
I'd give the Philippines CADBURY'S CREAM EGGS
free flights for single guys from the uk

eagles
23rd May 2009, 06:18
i think, highway traffic system where you get to ride a bus with designated numbers at designated station with their corresponding number too ( not just anywhere along the highway) have you seen How EDSA is clogging with buses and commuters??? And the automated ticketing system for provincial buses where you get your own seat ahead of time, you dont have to fight over for a seat, climb windows during peak season just to get a seat)

future=dreams
23rd May 2009, 12:15
I would site it next door to Wetherspoons :Rasp: Managed to buy fresh dates fresh pasta with crab and crayfish a pineapple for 32 pence so i eat healthy and dont gain to much :rolleyes: weight

somebody
23rd May 2009, 16:50
:NoNo::NoNo::NoNo::NoNo::NoNo: It's the purchasing power feeling you see...:NoNo::NoNo: In the PI it is quite very new. People feel "different" when using their Plastic moneys, as if "Hey, look I have a Plastic Card I am rich, I am "in!" " type style thing... But the truth is, it is rather scary if they don't know how to use it sensibly/pay it before it's due...

With the west cracking down who can see like me the credit companies moving in on Asia and the "developing world" (rather the overdeveloped and kanckered world ala uk and us:D) Like all the other mutli nationals have as the west clamp down on their practises.

In the US new laws have it looks made whats likely to dent profits for the credit card companies and plenty more laws will come along.

The phillipines goverment and others will with open arms welcome the large finace companies and all the money and "investment" they bring. There will be a mini boom posssibly quite a large one then a lot of sorrow:NoNo:

Jay&Zobel
23rd May 2009, 20:02

With the west cracking down who can see like me the credit companies moving in on Asia and the "developing world" (rather the overdeveloped and kanckered world ala uk and us:D) Like all the other mutli nationals have as the west clamp down on their practises.

In the US new laws have it looks made whats likely to dent profits for the credit card companies and plenty more laws will come along.

The phillipines goverment and others will with open arms welcome the large finace companies and all the money and "investment" they bring. There will be a mini boom posssibly quite a large one then a lot of sorrow:NoNo:

I so agree with you! And not long. PI will be in recession too! (or is it already:Erm:)

People are just so excited being so westernized... (not thinking what lies ahead...) Really scary...

Sophie
23rd May 2009, 20:22
and not long. Pi will be in recession too! (or is it already:erm:)

it always has been zobel, hehehehe

complex
24th May 2009, 14:01
Interesting topic.
I think there are so many things that could be introduced, whether they ever become popular with demand who knows.

After 3 trips to the Philippines amounting to almost 6 months of stay, I have to admit I'm not a fan of the food, maybe I've not had a chance to sample the greatest variety, but after eating rice for a number of weeks I tend to feel I don't wanna see another grain, the only thing that saves me is having the odd curry.

I think rightly or wrongly they have had too much of an American influence, hot dogs are ok for a quick take away if put in a bun with mustard, onions and some ketchup, but when you go to the supermarket you might see an aisle stretching 30 feet full of different hot dogs lol

I took with me some Mustard, some Custard and some rice pudding, my Mahal thought the deserts were masarap, she didn't like Mustard though :(

She hadn't had curry till I came there and likes that now.

Some decent Curry houses would be nice, and some decent Chinese restaurants, had some nice Thai food, but also some not so nice. Beef (not that hard stringy stuff in the Terryaki dishes), dairy products;- real milk, fresh cream, cheeses.

I like adobo, but wouldn't say I loved it, the sauce can be too overpowering if done wrong. I think in the big cities their is enough variety of restaurants if you can afford to eat out all the time, I do enjoy some Bangus and generally more of the seafood dishes, but they are simple dishes, fish, rice and some sauce and some not so nice cold veggies lol whenever i got from food courts.

If anyone has any recommendations on a dish to try (other than Balut lol) I will next visit!

As far as things other than food, I wouldn't know where to begin!

British cuisine gets a hard press, especially from Americans, but I think Filipino could be worse! lol
Don't hate on me, just speaking my mind.

Tawi2
24th May 2009, 14:29
Complex,interesting comments about the Curry House,I actually know an old Indian guy in Damosa,Davao who has just opened an indian restaurant,the food was too hot for the locals,didnt sell much,he has now added an american flair to the place serving burgers,hotdogs,also local pinoy dishes and sales have rocketed,your right about Pinoy food,I always said it was the worst in Asia,even Dall,rice and chapatis in Kabul tastes better,as you said,just speaking my mind :icon_lol:

Arthur Little
24th May 2009, 18:56
but after eating rice for a number of weeks I tend to feel I don't wanna see another grain, the only thing that saves me is having the odd curry.

:doh Likewise! But I felt the need to reach some form of compromise when my Filipina wife joined me in the UK. And so we usually eat rice at least once a week as an accompaniment to ... yes, you've guessed, ... chicken CURRY!

Welcome to the forum. :)

somebody
24th May 2009, 21:23
:doh Likewise! But I felt the need to reach some form of compromise when my Filipina wife joined me in the UK. And so we usually eat rice at least once a week as an accompaniment to ... yes, you've guessed, ... chicken CURRY!

jeez one a week i think my missus would implode or explode not sure which but i know Rice to the majority of Pinays is as important as Heroin to a Junkie

complex
24th May 2009, 23:29
Complex,interesting comments about the Curry House,I actually know an old Indian guy in Damosa,Davao who has just opened an indian restaurant,the food was too hot for the locals,didnt sell much,he has now added an american flair to the place serving burgers,hotdogs,also local pinoy dishes and sales have rocketed,your right about Pinoy food,I always said it was the worst in Asia,even Dall,rice and chapatis in Kabul tastes better,as you said,just speaking my mind :icon_lol:

Thanks Tawi - You got my taste buds excited for a second, until I read the american flair lol, shame it didn't work for the locals, I don't quite get the locals and spicy food, some Filipino food like Spicy Tuna and some Pancit Canton spicy varieties have me stuck in the CR (another american influence, what's wrong with saying toilet!) more than any curry has done!

Good to see from the comments I'm not suffering alone!

complex
27th May 2009, 00:19

hi Tawi weird I tried to reply once already to the new posts here, but my message didn't end up in thread, :(

you had me excited when you talked about Curry house, up until I read American flair lol, shame it never worked out!
Surprised with how some spicy food isn't liked, although there is a lot of spicy varieties of food like Spicy Tuna and Pancit that although I enjoy can cause my tummy and a CR some problems lol

complex
27th May 2009, 00:21
hmm I see after you post a message says something very quickly (too fast for me to read) about post not appearing until a moderator has checked it!! hmm but I wonder how my first post appeared so quickly, maybe it's because I quoted someone!

tala
8th June 2009, 23:36
teaching pinoys how to form a queue!

was caught in dubai airport with 2 prams and when the boarding gates were opened, it seemed like someone said there was a bomb!

pinoys appeared from everywhere and rushed to the entrance as if the plane was going to leave in 10 seconds!

bornatbirth
9th June 2009, 09:47

just once a week arthur,im glad i just eat rice once a day :icon_lol:

jeez one a week i think my missus would implode or explode not sure which but i know Rice to the majority of Pinays is as important as Heroin to a Junkie

im not sure how my wife will cope without her daily fix? :CompBuster::Cuckoo::cwm23: