PDA

View Full Version : What foods do you miss?

Tawi2
19th April 2009, 11:22

pennybarry
19th April 2009, 11:36
I only miss Philippine veggies which is very expensive to buy here. I miss Pampanga's Best Tocino. I tried to make my own TOCINO thru Mama Cita's but it taste horrible.

nids123
Pinays and putis,just wondering what foods you miss in your adopted countries,and what you actually like?Whenever I am away I always miss a genuine cup of tea,and mashed potato,I had mashed potato in Pinas last week,sweet potato with a little generic "Butter",I appreciated the effort but it wasnt quite the same as King edwards with black pepper,Lurpak,and a little fresh milk :BouncyHappy:I know Pinays here always miss "Smelly-fish" :rolleyes:But what else tickles your tastebuds but you cant find here?And what do brits miss about UK food abroad?i miss the laing and the tilapya inihaw and fried and the mix vegetable like diningding and pakbit. and all cooked by coconut milk and of course rice.:):Brick:

vbkelly
i miss everything pinoy foods

Tawi2
19th April 2009, 11:46

aromulus
19th April 2009, 13:41
Taramansalata.... Ćevapčići... Blinis.... Matzoh balls.... Salzburger Knockerle... Leberknoedelsuppe.... Baccala'.....:D

misscarie
19th April 2009, 13:50
Chicken Intestine BBQ :D

i miss everything :bigcry:

Tawi2
19th April 2009, 13:50

Tawi2
19th April 2009, 13:52

misscarie
19th April 2009, 13:56
Just for you misscarie:icon_lol: I ate a few over the last month or so :D

hahaha , thank you tawi2 but u makes me hungry :Brick: i just had my lunch eh pasaway :icon_lol:

BBQ is one in my list when we visit in pi this december :xxgrinning--00xx3:

aromulus
19th April 2009, 13:58
"Adidas".............. My favorite brand name....:D

somebody
19th April 2009, 14:04
Crispy Pata although on Friday we poped in to Jamies Favourite supermarket and they had a Precooked Roast pork. It reminded the Wife and I of Lechon. As it had been spit roasted rahter than baked in a oven as we normally do.

aromulus
19th April 2009, 14:09
Crispy Pata

We do that at home, on average once a month.....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Jet is a marvellous cook, Adobo, pancit Canton, Lumpia Shangai, Sotangon, Lechon Kawale, Bulalo sopa (with oxtail), lately she's been dishing out banana cakes....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

It doesn't do much for my circumference but, hey, everything tastes good.....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

charlwill
19th April 2009, 14:10
I hardly miss anything cause here in Preston, I can get most of the Philippines stuff that I want. Even chicken feet, if I wanted to. The only thing that I can't get here is malonggay. Thanks to Ate Ping for telling me the substitute now I am enjoying more my tinolang manok with green papaya and wild racket(instead of malonngay or pepper leaves) and ginger.
I made my own Pandesal, Spanish Bread Rolls, Siopao, Embutido, Langgonisa,Puto and lots of filipino foods.

Tawi2
19th April 2009, 14:10

acs
19th April 2009, 15:01
i miss inun unan, soriso, tinabal, linung ag nga saging, and minatamis na saging....:bigcry::Cuckoo::D

ca143
19th April 2009, 15:11
i miss inun unan, soriso, tinabal, linung ag nga saging, and minatamis na saging....:bigcry::Cuckoo::D
tindok or tundan?:doh i miss fish kinilaw with coconut milk.and otan nga binisaya subakan ug inasin nga isda sa bato....:icon_lol:

KeithD
19th April 2009, 15:22
I miss KFC :Erm:

tiN
19th April 2009, 15:40
Philippine veggies:xxgrinning--00xx3:

And also fresh seafoods... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just miss everything :bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

misscarie
19th April 2009, 15:47
i miz seeing good old english ingriedients in my ref and cupboards,
anyone looking would think only filipino lives here

Tawi2
19th April 2009, 16:15

Ana_may365
19th April 2009, 16:31
i miss all filipino foods,espclly manggang hilaw at hinog[kinalabaw]coz were very far from chinese and indian store here.i can cook some of our fil.foods but not complete recado.i miss talbos ng kamote w/bagoong isda,kangkong,bunga ng malunggay:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

tiger@tigress
19th April 2009, 19:07
I miss GG with toyomansi... hmmmmmm

sarahlee
19th April 2009, 19:21
tindok or tundan?:doh i miss fish kinilaw with coconut milk.and otan nga binisaya subakan ug inasin nga isda sa bato....:icon_lol:

naku po naglaway laway ako sa mga sinasabi mo lami kaayo miss ko yung kinilaw binisaya na utan ug inun unan nga isda grabe gutom ako karon lol

sarahlee
19th April 2009, 19:25
Pinays and putis,just wondering what foods you miss in your adopted countries,and what you actually like?Whenever I am away I always miss a genuine cup of tea,and mashed potato,I had mashed potato in Pinas last week,sweet potato with a little generic "Butter",I appreciated the effort but it wasnt quite the same as King edwards with black pepper,Lurpak,and a little fresh milk :BouncyHappy:I know Pinays here always miss "Smelly-fish" :rolleyes:But what else tickles your tastebuds but you cant find here?And what do brits miss about UK food abroad?

miss ko balut uhhmmm yummy,adidas as in chicken feet

Tawi2
19th April 2009, 19:34

nigel
19th April 2009, 21:29
When I'm in Philippines I miss fish and chips!:icon_lol: And I sometimes find myself thinking "Corr I would kill for a pint of Guiness right now!:icon_lol: And I would do an attempt to murder for a pint of Fosters!:icon_lol:

My wifey got excited at the pics of Filipino dishes you posted here hehe:)

Ana_may365
19th April 2009, 21:36
Your lucky sarah,you live in the land of stottie cake :xxgrinning--00xx3:Get yourself over to Sunderland Quayside at Hendon when the boats come in after fishing,my sis always brings me lobsters and crab when she comes down to visit,cheap as chips when bought at source :xxgrinning--00xx3:

we always going there in sunderland fish quay or iether in north shields for a fresh sea foods.i still have 8 lobsters left and 1 crab from sunderland[i cook it all and put it in our cheeze freezer]i cook it with sprite if i want to eat it for dinner:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy:

Tawi2
19th April 2009, 21:40

Sophie
20th April 2009, 00:53
Pinays and putis,just wondering what foods you miss in your adopted countries,and what you actually like?Whenever I am away I always miss a genuine cup of tea,and mashed potato,I had mashed potato in Pinas last week,sweet potato with a little generic "Butter",I appreciated the effort but it wasnt quite the same as King edwards with black pepper,Lurpak,and a little fresh milk :BouncyHappy:I know Pinays here always miss "Smelly-fish" :rolleyes:But what else tickles your tastebuds but you cant find here?And what do brits miss about UK food abroad?

I MISS CRABS/ALIMASAG :bigcry::bigcry:

pennybarry
20th April 2009, 07:04
Philippine veggies:xxgrinning--00xx3:

And also fresh seafoods... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just miss everything :bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

Have you tried boat fishing in the sea Tin? You can rent a boat @ 25£/person and surely you can catch load of fish to stuck in your freezer:D. Have also seafood here given by filipino fishermen.

Wish to give you some:D

tiN
20th April 2009, 10:05
Have you tried boat fishing in the sea Tin? You can rent a boat @ 25£/person and surely you can catch load of fish to stuck in your freezer:D. Have also seafood here given by filipino fishermen.

Wish to give you some:D

No havent tried it yet Ate Penny as I have a bad sea sick :NoNo::NoNo::NoNo::NoNo:

I was telling it to my husband and he told me we might try sea fishing this summer.. Where can i find filipino fishermen to give me some seafood also?:doh:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Im hoping u will give me some :ARsurrender::D:D:Cuckoo::Cuckoo::Cuckoo::Cuckoo::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

tiN
20th April 2009, 10:11
I love wandering around the wetmarkets,the array of fish is incredible:Rasp:and the smells in the veg markets are mouth watering,a far cry from the burnt Quiche I just ate for lunch :rolleyes:

You seems nice tawi2 but everytime u post a picture in here u makes my tummy growl (is that right?):icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

I miss wetmarkets where I can get fresh veggies, seafoods and meats!!!:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

Tawi2
20th April 2009, 12:46

tiN
20th April 2009, 16:54
The last time I had a growling tummy Tin,it was because I had just eaten aso/iro:omg:

:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

No thanks:Rasp::Rasp::Rasp::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Ana_may365
20th April 2009, 17:55
The last time I had a growling tummy Tin,it was because I had just eaten aso/iro:omg:

its delicious!but it depends how to cook it!i eat iro when i attend the b-day party of my friends.at first i didnt know that it is 'iro'coz its tasty:BouncyHappy:and after i eat all my foods and need to going home my friends asking me if i like that one which is in a big 'kawa'.and i said yes coz is delicious:BouncyHappy:and she smelling at me and tell me that it is 'iro':doh:doh:doh.

islander
20th April 2009, 19:08
when i visited Phils. I did miss the FISH & CHIPS and TRIFLES here...

Think I missed all pinoy foods, just bad coz filipino store/ asian store is far from where I live.

Tawi2
20th April 2009, 19:46

Ana_may365
20th April 2009, 20:12
Dog is quite palatable Ana,I just hope your husband understands "Gutom na ako" when your staring longingly at the family dog :omg:

hiya!just ive said i didnt know at first that it was a dog[iro]coz of how they cook it, its taste nice:bigcry:u cant smell it that it is a dog.but anyway tawi2 its only happened once.maybe u have a shock:yikes:if i told u that i eat 'bayawak'[taste like chicken],'sawa'[taste chicken also],'a 'mountain bats',frogs from the rice fields,and 'iring':yikes:i taste it all when im still in 2nd year high school at 'aurora province' when we have a bivoack[like army training]:yikes:and its:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

tiN
20th April 2009, 20:26
when i visited Phils. I did miss the FISH & CHIPS and TRIFLES here...

Think I missed all pinoy foods, just bad coz filipino store/ asian store is far from where I live.

What part of Scotland are u islander?:)

tiN
20th April 2009, 20:31
Dog is quite palatable Ana,I just hope your husband understands "Gutom na ako" when your staring longingly at the family dog :omg:

When I told my niece about it, eating dog in the Philippines, u can see in her face how disgust she was :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

I dont mind frog as i love it to death. But it was funny when my hubby and I were there, told him try frog on his starter. And the frog that we have has stuffing on it ( not sure the name sounds like kabute :doh:icon_lol::icon_lol:)
and when he was enjoying it and ask me what is inside of the frog told him its a grasshopper:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: And he was like :yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

Tawi2
20th April 2009, 21:02
I have had sawa and halo,fruit bats,and last year shot a lot of frogs one night with a .22 in a rice paddy,must have shot over 30 with a spotlight.When I was based in Hong Kong we used to buy frogs in wanchai market,the vendor would put the luckless amphibians in a soft mesh bag,put them on the chopping block,then smack them with the flat of a meat-clever to stun them before skinning the hind legs skilfully :yikes:

bornatbirth
20th April 2009, 21:25
i miss balut :Erm:

pennybarry
21st April 2009, 06:35
No havent tried it yet Ate Penny as I have a bad sea sick :NoNo::NoNo::NoNo::NoNo:

I was telling it to my husband and he told me we might try sea fishing this summer.. Where can i find filipino fishermen to give me some seafood also?:doh:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Im hoping u will give me some :ARsurrender::D:D:Cuckoo::Cuckoo::Cuckoo::Cuckoo::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

They are scattered in some part of Scotland and England and Northern Ireland. But sadly they're receiving poor pay:D
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/foyle_and_west/7772446.stm

islander
22nd April 2009, 06:55
What part of Scotland are u islander?:)

hi tin!

i'm from livingston, west lothian... how about you?

tiN
22nd April 2009, 10:55
hi tin!

i'm from livingston, west lothian... how about you?

Im from Perth, 45 mins from where u are :)

There is a shop in Glasgow or Edinburgh where u can buy Filipino foods:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

islander
22nd April 2009, 13:58
Im from Perth, 45 mins from where u are :)

There is a shop in Glasgow or Edinburgh where u can buy Filipino foods:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

thanks tin!

yes, i have tried buying pinoy food in edinburgh, not really that accessible though. anyway, i'm just trying to avail pinoy stuffs found in shops nearby, hehehe!

Jay&Zobel
22nd April 2009, 17:51
i miss all pinoy food!!!!!