PDA

View Full Version : The Great [Educational] Divide

Arthur Little
17th April 2009, 14:16
My wife Myrna graduated BSc in Agricultural Education from the University of Southeastern Philippines back in April 1986. She subsequently taught her subject at a Government High School for twenty-two years - during which time she led her scholars to the highest level of achievement in the annual National S.T.E.P. [Student Entrepreneurs Of The Philippines] Competitions, winning the coveted award on no fewer than three occasions.

On that basis, one would've imagined she would have no difficulty in obtaining a similar post on coming to the UK. Not so!! :NoNo: As far as the General Teaching Council For Scotland is concerned, her degree would be regarded here as equivalent in standard to HNC/HND only, and she would most likely be required to attend a Scottish university to update her present level of qualification, followed by a further year of study at Teacher-Training College. Now, allowing for cross-cultural differences, I can appreciate the relevance of the re-training aspect but, to my way of thinking [admittedly I'm not a graduate] a degree is a DEGREE - :rolleyes: wherever it's attained - and, without "demeaning" the excellence of our Higher National Awards Scheme, it's mainly regarded here as a stepping-stone to a degree course and is generally studied for at a Further Education Institute, as opposed to University.

So what IS it about this [once] "Great" Britain that confers on our 'political/intellectual' hierarchy, the "Divine Right" to believe that its educational system is superior to that of other (materially poorer) countries ... ?

I've been told that my good lady is free to apply for assessment with a view to registration with the GTC, BUT, in order to do so she will need to enclose a [non-refundable] remittance fee of £55. Not anything like as hefty as the amount we'd to stump up for the Settlement Visa, mark you, but even so ... ! :doh

joebloggs
17th April 2009, 15:26
:icon_lol:

i know what you mean, well your wife is more lucky than mine

upto now shes had to take 2 ielts exams cost £200+

plab1 exam took her 4th attempt to pass , can only be taken in London if your in the uk, cost of exam+hotel+train = £300+ * 4 = £1,200

and plab 2 exam
course to help pass £500
cost £430 + hotel+ train = £600

only £2,500 upto now and her degree is recognised by the WHO(world health authoirty) and the GMC.

rip off Britain, and if i was a european she wouldn't need to take the exams.

:cwm23::censored:

and yes the £4,000 ive had to pay for visa's, for the wife and kids :furious3:

£6,500 its great to be british, even better if your a european :action-smiley-081:

Arthur Little
17th April 2009, 16:36
I hear their gentle voices [fellow forumers] calling, "Poor *old Joe" (I know you *AIN'T ... even tho' you do not deign to reveal your true vintage!:icon_lol:)

Footnote: Words attributed to an Afro-American (I think) lyric from the
'Dark Ages' that were my schooldays.

Seriously, though, our once-Great Empire - of which our forefathers were so justifiably proud - has rapidly degenerated into a :censored: mess, thanks to the :butthead:s elected to govern it! I rest my case.

Piamed
17th April 2009, 16:41
A terrible state of affairs in which it appears at times as though honest, genuine and willing economic contributors are penalised.

joebloggs
17th April 2009, 17:58
I hear their gentle voices [fellow forumers] calling, "Poor *old Joe" (I know you *AIN'T ... even tho' you do not deign to reveal your true vintage!:icon_lol:)

as for me being old, depends on the age of the person asking :D

as for me being 'poor' I'm definitely that , no matter what the wealth of the person asking :cwm24:

thou i still have the dream of a 50in plasma :rolleyes:, and bought with the misses wages :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

:icon_lol: