PDA

View Full Version : pen pal

gm47
2nd November 2004, 22:21
I've started to write to a Filipia for a couple of months now but I'm struggling to get much conversation going within our correspondance, I try to find out more about her and her family each time I write but all I get back is basic info, she is an intelligent lady but the emails only consist of a couple of paragraphs. I describe where I live with some info about the area and discuss myself, hobbies, interests etc as well as detail about my family and try and ask a few questions each time to get to know each other but some questions she doesn't even answer. I've tried to be discreet by asking similar questions that are unanswered to get things going but with no luck.
I don't ask personal or difficult questions just normal conversational type, to be honest I've had this before with Filipinas and the correspondance has had to end as there was no point carrying on.
Is this typical of Filipinas or am I expecting too much..........over to you experts, Keith and Pete.

Any views or suggestions ??

Regards
Gerry

ginapeterb
2nd November 2004, 23:46
Hi Gary,

First let me say you have courage in leaving this for us to answer, it is personal, and I'm sure Keith might answer it in his own way, as this may be a personal situation, you can if you wish, leave me your e mail address, or if you really want some advice about this, I dont think its best for me to give you my thoughts here on the forum for the whole world to see, to be honest, you might be better sending me a number to my e mail address, if you want me to talk to you direct, I can explain what I think is happening, otherwise, I dont think its appropriate for me to answer this on the forum, you can find my e mail address by clicking on my name as Forum mod in the topics, my e mail address is present there, I have helped at least 2 other forum members, by having them leave a phone number, this is usually the quickest way.

In answer to your query broadly, i would say this some Filipinas can be evasive about personal questions, they may have reasons for doing this, for one thing, they may be corresponding with you for interests sake only, they may also, be coresponding with lots of men, both in UK and in Western Europe also in USA.

If you are corresponding by e mail, they can run off lots of e mails, e mail is not the best form of communication with a Filipina if your desire is to form a relationship, I have always said that Letter writing is the best form of initial communication, if a Filipina is genuine and is interested in you, she will make the effort to write to you, (I cant quite make out from what you have said Gary whether you have letters from her, or a combination of both, e mails and letters), and also it might help me to help you more if you told me where you met her ? or the medium of communcation that you used to meet her in the first place ?

Most decent Filipina's are only to happy to correspond with someone with a view to a serious relationship, however there is always the danger that some are not as decent as one would like, or it could just be a case of shyness, Filipina's unfortunately do have a habit of not answering the questions you ask, and we can't really blame them for being guilty of something we all do, if you look at the physchological side of human interaction, she may have subconciously only picked out the bare bones of your letter, she may have not noticed your questions, or sub conciously not even felt a need to answer them, in truth, there could be a multitude of reasons why she has not answered them, however, depending on the time you have been corresponding with her, and whether you have a good feeling about her, you might carry on with it, or you might decide its not worth continuing, to be honest, there are hundreds of thousands of Filipina's who are out there, waiting for you, if its not working out, move on, life is too short Gary.

ginapeterb
2nd November 2004, 23:48
Sorry ooopppppp I said Gary, and you are Gerry, I do apologise, ok Gerry we have your name right now,
Come back to me.

Admin
2nd November 2004, 23:49
Generally speaking, if you hit it off with a Filipino, it's usually straight away and you can't shut them up. Even the letters/emails go into pages! :o

I have two big files full of letters from my missus when she was out in Singapore.

The point is, if your not communicating now, how will you manage if you meet? Their are plenty of Filipino's out there, so don't just concentrate on one. You'll know when you find the right one. :)

Admin
2nd November 2004, 23:51
We both posted together :) Different points, but basically the same info 8)

ginapeterb
2nd November 2004, 23:54
Actually Keith I agree with you, its really what I was trying to say, but I was trying to do it nicely.

Admin
3rd November 2004, 00:12
I'm a scouser, i don't do nice :huh:

grahamw48
3rd December 2005, 15:49
It might also be worth pointing out that (most?) Filipinas may seem able to communicate in English, but in fact their understanding of the language is not quite what you think.

Always write to them in very SIMPLE terms, as they will not tell you that they haven't understood half of what you have written or said to them. (Loss of face) ;)

Admin
3rd December 2005, 18:25
Use plenty of Phononics.....fononics......fotogwaffs......AAARRRGGHHH!!! :unsure:

Pauldo
3rd December 2005, 21:22
Originally posted by admin@Dec 3 2005, 06:25 PM
Use plenty of Phononics.....fononics......fotogwaffs......AAARRRGGHHH!!! :unsure:

Quoted post

If a phonetic language is one where the letters are pronounced as they are written, why isn't Phonetic spelt with an F :huh: :D

Gerry, do the dirty manly deed: ask her why she don't answer your questions :rolleyes:

You may just find she has about 27 other 'nice guys' sending her the same questions and she don't got time to give full replies :o :D ;)

gm47
4th December 2005, 10:15
thanks all but that post is over a year old, I've moved on since then. I am visiting the Phils at Xmas for the 3rd time this year so I have a better understanding of the people.

Thanks anyway
Gerry

Pauldo
4th December 2005, 16:44
Originally posted by gm47@Dec 4 2005, 10:15 AM
thanks all but that post is over a year old, I've moved on since then. I am visiting the Phils at Xmas for the 3rd time this year so I have a better understanding of the people.
Thanks anyway
Gerry

Quoted post

Well don't leave us in suspense; what happened to the non-responsive pen pal???? :o :rolleyes: B)
Did ya, well, you know???? :D :D :rolleyes:

gm47
4th December 2005, 20:56
Originally posted by Pauldo@Dec 4 2005, 03:44 PM
Well don't leave us in suspense; what happened to the non-responsive pen pal???? :o :rolleyes: B)
Did ya, well, you know???? :D :D :rolleyes:

Quoted post

I simply stopped writing to her after explaining that she was too introverted, quiet and brief for me, I have met many Filipinas since, some quiet, some talkative, oddly enough though the only one that I am interested in is a girl from the Phils that lives 10 mins from me here in London.... alas she has a BF in the Phils that she is going to marry...... Sods law or what !!!!!!!!

Cheers
Gerry

Admin
4th December 2005, 22:38
Plenty left......about 100,000 :)

Gary
5th December 2005, 06:08
minus the one i'm marrying...

Admin
5th December 2005, 09:54
I had a penpal once.......till she ran out of ink :(

Gingwa