PDA

View Full Version : Employed Working Permit Visa Holder

gaius
5th April 2009, 18:49
I need some legal immigration understanding if anyone here who can share some thoughts.

Here is the case:

I have a friend who currently holding a 6 year Work Permit Visa that will due on 2013. Unfortunately, last mid of the year 2008 he was redundant by the company whom where he took his Visa. This Company imformed the Home Office that my friend is no longer working with them and now working with different company with different Job related descriptions. Since his Work Permit Visa is still due on 2013, my question is, is he still legal to stay in the UK regardless of his unrelated job description and working with different company?

He is worried that Home Office might soon informed him with bad news. As he too want to have a vacation in the Philippines to be with his family without worrying of getting back to UK.

Thanks in advance for any positive legal responce.

joebloggs
5th April 2009, 20:25
Since his Work Permit Visa is still due on 2013, my question is, is he still legal to stay in the UK regardless of his unrelated job description and working with different company?

You are only required to leave UK if you get a notice from HO to leave within 28 days. Basically when you are made redundent your employer needs to inform home office and in turn home office writes to asks you to leave within 28 days.

Now the process itself may take a couple of weeks if not months between your employer informing home office and home office writing to you. In practice, usually the employers do not inform home office and in that case you can stay on your current visa till it expires, but expect problems when you try to re-enter UK using your current visa as the IO usually asks if there has been any change in your circumstances.

So in practice you have 4 weeks to sort out your new work permit.

as his work permit is only valid for the company that applied for it, if he was been made redundant, then he had 28 days to find another employer to sponsor him, and for that employer to apply for a new work permit for him, or for him to move to a different category of the visa.

and yes his new job should be the same as the previous one

Otherwise he'll have to leave UK

Tiggers0608
5th April 2009, 20:59
:Erm:

I'm not an expert on this and i might be wrong lol, but i think his work permit will only be valid on his first job :rolleyes:

like joe said he needs to leave UK and maybe his employer right now have to apply him for a work permit for his job right now :Erm: