PDA

View Full Version : Refusal for wife to leave RoP on settlement visa without a return flight ticket.

johncar54
1st April 2009, 17:32
Can anyone help?

I was told earlier today that the Filipino wife of a British national, living in Spain on a permanent residence permit, was not permitted to fly from Cebu to Madrid because, although she had a Visa (for settlement) and the CFO sticker with permission to leave the Philippines, she did not have a return flight ticket.

I have another friend whose wife has a single ticket to fly to Spain from MNL on 2nd May. We want to avoid any similar problems.

Any advice will be appreciated.

keithAngel
1st April 2009, 23:33
Can anyone help?

I was told earlier today that the Filipino wife of a British national, living in Spain on a permanent residence permit, was not permitted to fly from Cebu to Madrid because, although she had a Visa (for settlement) and the CFO sticker with permission to leave the Philippines, she did not have a return flight ticket.

I have another friend whose wife has a single ticket to fly to Spain from MNL on 2nd May. We want to avoid any similar problems.

Any advice will be appreciated.

You dont say who refused her but my guess is its the airline or more probably their agents and if so then they are mistaken ....if you were buying a ticket rather than already having one i would get a written undertaking from the airline befor purchase get in touch with them now and explain the problem:xxgrinning--00xx3:

johncar54
2nd April 2009, 07:17
You dont say who refused her but my guess is its the airline or more probably their agents and if so then they are mistaken ....if you were buying a ticket rather than already having one i would get a written undertaking from the airline befor purchase get in touch with them now and explain the problem:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sorry for not including the info.

It was not the airline but the Immigration Bureau. My friend’s wife was given the name and telephone number.

My friends email read, “Apparently it's a Department of Immigration decision ... I was given a number of a person at immigration to confirm this. Their surname is Mendoza and can be contacted on 338 45 33 .... (I haven't got through to them yet) It might be best if your friend phoned ...

My wife was very upset ... I wouldn't like to see this happen to anyone else”

pendeen560
2nd April 2009, 07:36
Please do not discuss my wife's personal affairs in public, John... I have not given you my permission to quote our private email in public ...

Please delete this thread admin :)

Husband of the wife concerned

aromulus
2nd April 2009, 07:49
Please do not discuss my wife's personal affairs in public, John... I have not given you my permission to quote our private email in public ...

Very valid point here.......

As you haven't left any private contact details on your profile, I just want to make sure that this is what you really want.:Erm:

I can see John's point of view in trying to help other people that may experience the same, as we are all here to give and take advice.

So I feel reluctant to delete the thread as there may be someone out there with the solution to the problem at hand.....

Choice is yours, just mail me.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

keithAngel
2nd April 2009, 09:00
ooops I will wait and see what happens then befor my next suggestion:doh

aposhark
2nd April 2009, 22:02
From previous posts, I was under the impression that only a one way ticket to the UK is sufficient if the wife has the settlement and cfo stamps in her passport.

I would be grateful to find out from Filipina wives who live in the UK, if they came over with a one way ticket.
Also, why would the Immigration Bureau stop anyone from leaving the Philippines?

I don't want to pry into the facts of the individual case quoted in this thread but I am about to buy a one way ticket for my wife soon.

aromulus
2nd April 2009, 22:08
From previous posts, I was under the impression that only a one way ticket to the UK is sufficient if the wife has the settlement and cfo stamps in her passport.

I would be grateful to find out from Filipina wives who live in the UK, if they came over with a one way ticket.
Also, why would the Immigration Bureau stop anyone from leaving the Philippines?

I don't want to pry into the facts of the individual case quoted in this thread but I am about to buy a one way ticket for my wife soon.

It must be something to do with flying one way to Spain....:Erm:

As Everybody else coming one way to the Uk never had this problem.... :xxgrinning--00xx3:

aposhark
2nd April 2009, 22:21
It must be something to do with flying one way to Spain....:Erm:

As Everybody else coming one way to the Uk never had this problem.... :xxgrinning--00xx3:

johncar54
6th April 2009, 07:55
This is copy of an email I have sent to pendeen560:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(pendeen560: I will post this on the forum and send it by email to you).

I just checked the post I put on the Fil Uk forum.

I thought I had deleted your contact details from my post, as I did for sure when I sent a copy of your email to IB. I don't see any ref to your personal contact details now. If that means I did show them, by accident, and that the moderator has removed them I apologise. I will continue to try and get an official answer to the problem your wife encountered as this could well affect others here.

John
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aromulus

As you will be aware I live in Spain. My wife nor any of the her Filipino friends here have experienced a return ticket problem, so it seems it is not just a ‘Spanish Problem.’ If that's so, then it may affect other countries too as it was the IB who demanded the return ticket

As I said in the email above I will continue to pursue to problem encountered by our member’s wife. If I don’t get a reply to the emails which I have sent to IB, I will call them this week, and will post the result for the benefit of anyone affected or concerned.

Once again apologises if I inadvertently posted personal info.

KeithD
6th April 2009, 08:51

:Erm: What details, where?

You only need a single ticket, however you can buy REFUNDABLE returns if you want to make things simple, just fly one-way, and get a refund on the rest. It'll cost more though.

johncar54
6th April 2009, 12:58
:Erm: What details, where?

You only need a single ticket, however you can buy REFUNDABLE returns if you want to make things simple, just fly one-way, and get a refund on the rest. It'll cost more though.

The point of the post was that 'someone's wife' (carefully not saying who) was not allowed to leave Cebu, by the Immigration Bureau, because she did not have a return ticket.

Mrs.JMajor
6th April 2009, 14:28

Dont worry about John post,nothing so private on there,He is just trying to help as Mod Dom said :xxgrinning--00xx3:

johncar54
6th April 2009, 15:00
Aromulus.

I have been going over and over this in my mind as to how I may have offended anyone.

Until 'someone' made a post saying it related to him, no one could have been aware who inspired me to try and help others who might have been affected.

Nevertheless, I will try to more careful in future.

I have repeated (third time) my email to I.B. Cebu asking for clarification.

This time I have also copied it to the Commissioner, Assistant Commission and Associate Commissioner of Immigration, in Cebu.

If/when I get an official reply I will post it here, or under a new thread (without any reference to anyone) if 'someone' insists you delete this thread.

aromulus
6th April 2009, 17:46
Aromulus.

I have been going over and over this in my mind as to how I may have offended anyone.

I know, and couldn't find anything offensive either.:Erm:

Until 'someone' made a post saying it related to him, no one could have been aware who inspired me to try and help others who might have been affected. .

I think, personally, as (it) being a case of oversensitivity, but as he stated the obvious himself, and didn't come back to me re a thread deletion, then it will run to the end, when ever it may be..:omg:

Nevertheless, I will try to more careful in future.

Yup, I understand.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

keithAngel
6th April 2009, 22:40
The point of the post was that 'someone's wife' (carefully not saying who) was not allowed to leave Cebu, by the Immigration Bureau, because she did not have a return ticket.

John would you like me to ask Angie to phone IB and ask them on her own behalf as it were its a free call from Cebu ??:xxgrinning--00xx3:

johncar54
7th April 2009, 07:07
John would you like me to ask Angie to phone IB and ask them on her own behalf as it were its a free call from Cebu ??:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Keith
thanks for the offer.

Yes, if Angie would phone that would be very helpful. I am particularly interested as my wife's best friend has a single ticket from MNL to Malaga on 2nd May. She was married last month to a British friend who lives in Spain.

John

nparvus1202
7th April 2009, 11:07
This could be precautionary measure as this is the first time that the Filipina wife is going out of the country, hence they need to see a return ticket if something goes wrong. But if she's with the husband, it might be a different story.

aromulus
7th April 2009, 11:18
I don't really know if it has any relevance but after a bit of research I came across the fact that Spain is the only country in the EEA that does not give free entry to Non EEA spouses of EEA Nationals....:Erm:

And although free of charge, they still require a VISA....:omg:

So, there must be something there allround, maybe....:Erm:

johncar54
7th April 2009, 14:29
This is the reply I have received from the Commissioner for Immigration in Cebu:_

Please be informed that, if the visa of a departing Filipino is Tourist
Visa, he/she must show his/her return ticket upon request of the
Immigration Officer. Otherwise, he/she will not be allowed to depart, in
accordance with Memorandum Order MCL No. 07-019 dated 24 October 2007,
issued by the Commissioner of the Bureau of Immigration.

We hope this satisfies your query.

Thank you for allowing us to serve you.
--------------------------------------------------------------

In Spain, and I believe all Schengen Area countries, spouses are only issued with a 'C' type tourist visa. Having applied for a residence permit the expiry date becomes irrelevant.

I believe in UK a Settlement Visa is issued, if that's so then it would seem this does not affect UK, but it probably affects ALL SCHENGEN AREA countries.

I am trying to find a valid email address for the Spanish consul in Manila to seek advice. (first attempt was returned)

johncar54
8th April 2009, 07:16
This is the 'standard reply' I received from the BI help desk :-

--------------------------------------------
Dear Sir,

As a matter of regulation, Filipinos who intend to travel abroad as tourists need to present the following documents at the international airport of exit:

A genuine passport valid for at least 6 months;
A return ticket (must be confirmed is possible); and
A copy of the original visa, if required by the receiving state.

Asking for additional requirements such as but not limited to an invitation letter duly authenticated by the Philippine Embassy/Consulate abroad or an itinerary or an affidavit of support or a hotel accommodation is dependent upon the assessment of the immigration officers during primary inspection which will help them in evaluating the passenger in his/her trip.

We hope we have clarified this matter to you.
--------------------------------------------------------------

The problem seems to lie in the the fact that Spain (and I believe all Schengen Area Countries) at least until very recently, issued a 'C' Type, Tourist Visa for 'Family Reunification' purposes.

I am told now that the type of visa now being issued is a 'Petition Visa.'

I have not been able to verify this. Does anyone have up to the minute info on this, as is likely to affect all those joining spouses in Spain and maybe the Schengen Area as a whole?

johncar54
2nd May 2009, 08:32
Un update.

Just had a call from my friend's wife, Arlene. She is in MNL, and has passed through controls and is now waiting at the boarding gate for her flight on way to Spain.

I believe she had the 'normal' for Schengen Area, 90 day tourist visa, which will allow her to apply for permanent resident status in Spain and a single ticket to Spain. The same as the wife of my ‘friend’ from Madrid had, when she was stopped in Cebu and made to buy a return ticket.

I will up date this info, when Arlene has arrived here in Spain, for the benefit of anyone in a similar situation.

aromulus
2nd May 2009, 14:58
Un update.

I will up date this info, when Arlene has arrived here in Spain, for the benefit of anyone in a similar situation.

Thanks po....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

johncar54
5th May 2009, 15:45
Update:

My friend’s wife was in possession of a Schengen Area “REAGROUPACION FAMILLAR UE/EFE 90 day” visa. This means a visa to permit her to enter Spain for the purposes of joining her husband.

At MNL with her passport containing the visa and the CFO exit stamp, and a one way flight ticket, she had no problems with emigration.

She made transfers at Hong Kong, London Heathrow and Madrid.

At Madrid her passport was stamped showing entry into Spain (Schengen Area) and she travelled on to Malaga, her destination.

She now has 90 days in which to make the application for permanent residence status, a formality.

NOTE: The “REAGROUPACION FAMILLAR UE/EF” Visa is issued under the provisions of the Schengen Agreement. Previously the Spanish Consulate had issued a Tourist visa marked up to permit the residence application. This type of visa should ensure that there is no problem about needing a return ticket.

I hope this will prove of assistance.

pendeen560
25th May 2009, 13:55
Hi,

My wife had a Schengen Visa Reagrupacion Familiar UE/EEE (type C) visa when Qatar Airways stopped her from boarding her flight.

She never saw anyone from immigration as the airline stopped her from getting that far.

In Cebu she had to change her flight to the next available flight and also had to buy a refundable return ticket from Madrid to Cebu.

In Qatar, my wife was also asked for her return ticket.

In Spain, the return ticket was cancelled by a call to the Madrid Qatar airways office and now we are waiting for the refund money minus 100 euros cancellation fee.

Regards,

Dave and Cecille

pendeen560
25th May 2009, 14:27
John,

Is your friend's wife's visa type C?

Dave and Cecille

johncar54
25th May 2009, 16:27
John,

Is your friend's wife's visa type C?

Dave and Cecille

Dave as you are asking me here, I guess you are no longer annoyed that I made the original post about your wife, although I did take care not to show any identifying details.

It was as I have shown above my friend's wife had a REAGROUPACION FAMILLAR UE/EFE 90 day.

When my wife got her visa in 2006 she got a type C visa. We had no problems with her flying on a one way ticket.

Following your wife's experience I contacted IB and at Commissioner level, they confirmed that a return ticket was required if a tourist visa was being used.

I assume now that the REAGROUPACION FAMILLAR UE/EFE 90 day visa is being issued to spouse applying to a reunification visa, there should be no ambiguities

pendeen560
25th May 2009, 19:36
John,

On my wife's visa, under the section "Type of Visa" it says C? Maybe your friend's wife has something else printed there?

Under the remarks section of my wife's visa it says " reagrupacion familiar UE/EEE"

Dave and Cecille