PDA

View Full Version : For filipina partners living in Scotland

scott&ligaya
29th March 2009, 18:03
I have noticed that ANNOO7 and Kimmi have both used "wee" recently and wondered if they were mastering other Scottish phrases. Just in case they have not here are a few they might need

fit like................... how are you?

auch a wa ye go..... you are kidding me aren`t you!

ya baa heeid.......... you are stupid

hoos yer feather.... How is your father

hehehehe makes me feel like going home to Aberdeen

if you need anything your partners say to you that you are not sure about post it here and I will see what I can do. Makes a change from asking what some Tagalog/Visayan/Ilocano/Cebuano phrase is in English.... or should I say Scottish

Other fellow Scots husbands may add more if you wish.

Ann07
29th March 2009, 18:24
:icon_lol::icon_lol: nice one Scott:D

My husband is scottish:icon_lol: but we live near the borders still part of england:doh

I often hear that phrases:D

Thanks for sharing that:)

kimmi
29th March 2009, 19:20
oh Aye Scott..:D

Hubby was really a YOrkshire man,it just so happened that he really wanted to live here in Scotland so when he got the chance he grab it right away and the rest was history.

btw, I do really love Scottish accents/Gaelic and since I am surrounded by Scottish people in here Ive got no choice but to learn and cope with their language :doh:Erm: just got lucky that most of the people in here are so happy to teach me with their language.
:xxgrinning--00xx3::Hellooo:

thank u for sharing some scottish, Scott. I'll gonna surprise the locals in here..he he he

IainBusby
30th March 2009, 09:47
oh Aye Scott..:D

Hubby was really a YOrkshire man,it just so happened that he really wanted to live here in Scotland so when he got the chance he grab it right away and the rest was history.

btw, I do really love Scottish accents/Gaelic and since I am surrounded by Scottish people in here Ive got no choice but to learn and cope with their language :doh:Erm: just got lucky that most of the people in here are so happy to teach me with their language.
:xxgrinning--00xx3::Hellooo:

thank u for sharing some scottish, Scott. I'll gonna surprise the locals in here..he he he

Good for you ma wee hen!

james999
30th March 2009, 10:17
As a glaswegian i find myslef speaking more slowly and clearly with my mahal when im there but once she is here with me in glasgow she will have the whole family talking at her at 100 miles per hour talk about being thrown in at the deep end :yikes:

scott&ligaya
30th March 2009, 11:04
Good for you ma wee hen!

hehehehehe

Many years ago I took a girlfriend from Uni to visit relatives in Dunfermline. the use of "hen" there is profilic... problem was my girlfriends name was Penelope or Pen for short.. she just thought they had got her name wrong:doh:doh:doh

hi James999 ... your poor Mahal!!!

GaryFifer
31st March 2009, 00:28
When reversing the car dear..Mind you don't take that wee wa awa with ya my asawa

pennybarry
31st March 2009, 06:46
Hubby is English originally from Newcastle, but they have chosen to live in the borders of Scotland which is 10 miles away from Berwick Northumberland, England.
But Mom, dad, and hubby has different accent.:doh
I can easily understand my Mom's accent rather than hubby's geordie accent:Brick: and I don't know what dad's accent. :D

islander
1st April 2009, 17:26
I've also learned using the word "WEE" when I started working at Morrisons, especially when it comes to carrier bags, instead of what we commonly called as a "SMALL BAG", Scottish customers used to call it a "WEE BAG". Same meaning though....

pennybarry
2nd April 2009, 06:36
I've also learned using the word "WEE" when I started working at Morrisons, especially when it comes to carrier bags, instead of what we commonly called as a "SMALL BAG", Scottish customers used to call it a "WEE BAG". Same meaning though....

Yes I always hear words with WEE :D

WEE BOY:D
WEE DROP:D
WEE DOG

Arthur Little
3rd April 2009, 01:37
Yes I always hear words with WEE :D

WEE BOY:D
WEE DROP:D
WEE DOG

Footnote for the uninitiated:

WEE BOY = WEE LAD, LADDIE or (in some "airts an' pairts") LAUDIE
WEE DROP = WEE DRAPPIE (as in a wee drappie o' the cratur or a 'dram' - usually in deference to Scotch whisky)
WEE DOG = WEE DUG
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Better still, try asking a Sassenach (let alone a Filipina) to recite the following:-

"It's a braw, bricht moonlicht nicht the nicht!" Or, on reflection, maybe :NoNo:(or, na, na/naw,naw in local parlance)

Perhaps just test her out with the phrase: "Och aye the noo"

scott&ligaya
3rd April 2009, 09:05
auch I think yer havering noo Arthur

GaryFifer
3rd April 2009, 09:21
Aye, my asawa gave me a right sair keeker. I was having a keek oot the windae at a bonnie lassie. So she geen me a right skelp.