PDA

View Full Version : Philippine citizenship

Corinne
29th September 2006, 23:19
Heya! Im not sure on the rules. Is it possible for me to get a Philippine citizenship if my mother was a filipina but at the time of my birth she only had a British citizenship. She said dual citizenships were not available in those days. When did the whole dual citizenship thing start?
Really want to move to Philippines. Love it there! cant understand why everyone wants to leave!!

KeithD
30th September 2006, 08:57
Why have you posted this twice? :doh :Brick:

francesca
13th October 2006, 18:36
push delete button win hehe
she must be really desperate??

fred
14th October 2006, 01:13
Heya! Im not sure on the rules. Is it possible for me to get a Philippine citizenship if my mother was a filipina but at the time of my birth she only had a British citizenship. She said dual citizenships were not available in those days. When did the whole dual citizenship thing start?
Really want to move to Philippines. Love it there! cant understand why everyone wants to leave!!

I think it "started about 2/3 years ago.
From what I understand,if you mother gets dual C then you automatically are a duel citizen if under 18 yrs of age.
Im no expert so I`ll just shut up now!:cwm3:

fred
31st October 2006, 11:00
Well ..My Mrs actually went and did it!!
She swore her oath of alliegance to the Philippines in the notary public (R.P embassy) and is now a Filipino citizen once again.
She is now allowed to get herself and the kids Filipino passports.
The consul advised her to use her new Fil passport when travelling to the R.P and her British one when returning to the UK.
Duel citizenship costs.. £35.00 for her and £18.00 for each child under 18 yrs old.

A_flyer
1st November 2006, 08:49
The consul advised her to use her new Fil passport when travelling to the R.P and her British one when returning to the UK.
It's always better to use the same passport to enter and exit a country as you may have questions on this at immigration desk (either at departure or arrival, or for a next travel in another country). If you encounter difficulties at an immigration desk, they may check on your passport the countries entry and exit stamps for your (preceeding) travels.
But the other passport can always be shown and used as a "visa".

KeithD
1st November 2006, 09:48
You should ALWAYS use the same passport in & out, as it will cause immigration problems.

fred
1st November 2006, 10:57
The consul advised everyone taking their oath to use their R.P passports to enter and leave the R.P. She also advised them to use their British passport when entering the UK.
Makes perfect sense to me.

robeth
1st November 2006, 12:08
The consul advised everyone taking their oath to use their R.P passports to enter and leave the R.P. She also advised them to use their British passport when entering the UK.
Makes perfect sense to me.

as i understood it, u leave UK to nowhere then enter UK from somewhere. sounds strange.

better ask for 2nd opinion as philippine bureaucracy is sometimes strange, with irregular SOP.

i dont even trust myself.:Erm:

fred
1st November 2006, 13:46
Always have both
passports available in case there are
questions. Immigration in the UK are used to dual
nationals and now the R.P lot are getting used to them too.

fred
1st November 2006, 14:01
This is a post regarding dual nationality and passport usage that I read earlier.
This is in regards a query about US/UK dual nationality but the principles should be the same.

Quote:
information pertaining to this, I'd appreciate your advice: What's the best way to travel between the two countries, regarding which passport you use? E.g. If I travel from the U.S. to the U.K., do I travel with my British passport (give my British passport to the airline at the U.S. airport upon departure, and the same British passport to the British immigration upon arrival in the U.K.)? When I return from the U.K., do I do the reverse, and use my U.S. passport only? If you are a dual British/U.S. Citizen.
It depends on to whom you are presenting the passport
and for what reason. The US requires that you enter the US
on a US passport, and you must also have a US passport in your
possession when you leave the US (for points outside North,Central
or South America). This means that for US-UK travel, a US passport
for a dual citizen is absolutely necessary. A British passport may be
necessary, and if not necessary it still may be helpful.

The UK, on the other hand, does not absolutely require you to use
a British passport when entering the UK, but you need to have a
passport that allows you to enter the UK for the purpose of your trip.
In other words, if you were only going to the UK for a short vacation,
you could easily use your US passport. If, on the other hand, you
were
going to the UK to live or work, you need your Briitish passport
because
it is the proof that you have the right to live and work in the UK.

If you do want or need to use both passports, then the passport you
present would depend on the purpose for which you are presenting it
and
to whom you are presenting it.

The following is most approximate sequence of passport presenation
on a US-UK-US trip.

Passport Presentation 1) At the airline check-in counter. Showing
your
passport here is for several purposes.

Purpose A: to verify that YOUR name matches the PASSENGER name
in the airline computer. In other words, they want to verify that you
are the person who is supposed to be travelling.

Passport to present: Either passport can prove this.

Purpose B: to verify that you have sufficient documentation to be
admitted to the UK.

Passport to present: Since British citizens hold right of abode in
the UK,
and US citizens are allowed visa free visits to the UK, you could
present either
passport.

robeth
1st November 2006, 14:32
ok, got it.

will share this info to my sis (a very confused single lady and alone ) who just arrived in US last june with immigrant visa..

thank you very much.

fred
1st November 2006, 14:42
No problem robeth..
I did telephone the Home office to double check this and the guy advised me that it doesn`t matter if she gets an exit stamp from the Philippines just as long as she presents her British passport as normal at Heathrow..

A_flyer
1st November 2006, 17:36
Just to remind, to avoid any problem later when getting a visa (i'm not speaking of Philippines or UK, but worlswide) you MUST have an exit stamp if you have an entry stamp on a passport (both should be on the same passport). If not, the embassy where you will apply for a visa may think you overstay (or get illegal alien in this country) and so you may be in trouble to get this visa.
It's not specific to a particular citizenship, it's for all applying for a visa in any country.

JustSomeGuy
8th November 2006, 20:18
http://www.philemb.org.uk/forms.html

there is a link there all about it.

Dave,