PDA

View Full Version : What's next for Filipino nurses?

Jay&Zobel
26th March 2009, 23:15
This article is quite old but still a must read for those who are concerned:

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=414991

just sad...

joebloggs
27th March 2009, 03:57
i think sooner or later the NHS will start employing pinoy nurses again, i read somewhere, there would be a shortage of nurses in the UK again, but like any job, the more skilled you are the better :xxgrinning--00xx3:

me and the misses have nearly got her cousin thru a nursing degree in the phils, i don't think she is worried about him getting a job :rolleyes:

pennybarry
27th March 2009, 07:31
This article is quite old but still a must read for those who are concerned:

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=414991

just sad...

Yes we have loads of Nurses looking for job in the Philippines and for abroad. Hospitals in the PHilippines are quite wise these past few years as they know, they are just stepping stones. They hired RN but you cannot get Certificate of Employment until you reached 1 year or so. My niece got a job in Calamba Medical Center and her 6 months was under training:doh. After her long wait, she reached 1 year+ to gain experience to be qualified in NZ and other better countries.

Tawi2
16th April 2009, 20:54
Doesnt pinas now require newly graduated nurses to do "Voluntary" work in pinoy hospitals for a set period of time before they brain-drain abroad?:Erm:How long is the period?

Tawi2
16th April 2009, 21:16
The markets getting saturated,every man and his dog in Pinas is talking about training to be a nurse,I met a few 10 year old kids the other week who told me they intended to be nurses :icon_lol:

Jay&Zobel
24th April 2009, 22:41
i think sooner or later the NHS will start employing pinoy nurses again, i read somewhere, there would be a shortage of nurses in the UK again, but like any job, the more skilled you are the better :xxgrinning--00xx3:

me and the misses have nearly got her cousin thru a nursing degree in the phils, i don't think she is worried about him getting a job :rolleyes:

When I was at the hospital, NHS were advertising that they're needing new employees to be hired http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/ so really there's a shortage of NHS staff.

Joe, how's the cousin of your wife, still going ahead with the visa?

Yes we have loads of Nurses looking for job in the Philippines and for abroad. Hospitals in the PHilippines are quite wise these past few years as they know, they are just stepping stones. They hired RN but you cannot get Certificate of Employment until you reached 1 year or so. My niece got a job in Calamba Medical Center and her 6 months was under training:doh. After her long wait, she reached 1 year+ to gain experience to be qualified in NZ and other better countries.

Doesnt pinas now require newly graduated nurses to do "Voluntary" work in pinoy hospitals for a set period of time before they brain-drain abroad?:Erm:How long is the period?

The thing with this, Newly Registered Nurses or student nurses are being "forced" to do some trainings, to get qualifications needed. Forced - meaning they have no choice but to get some trainings without them being paid. Worst case scenario, most students are the one paying the hospitals... Unlike here, you are being paid doing OJTs.

The markets getting saturated,every man and his dog in Pinas is talking about training to be a nurse,I met a few 10 year old kids the other week who told me they intended to be nurses :icon_lol:

Yeah it's the ££££$$$$$$££££$$$$$$$ dream I am afraid... :NoNo::NoNo:

joebloggs
24th April 2009, 22:50
Joe, how's the cousin of your wife, still going ahead with the visa?

he's not finished his degree yet, i think start of next year he's finished

but i think he was talking about going to New Zealand or to the UK one day :rolleyes:

some of my misses professors from years ago re-trained to be nurses :yikes: and are in the uk now :doh

Jay&Zobel
24th April 2009, 23:08
he's not finished his degree yet, i think start of next year he's finished

but i think he was talking about going to New Zealand or to the UK one day :rolleyes:

some of my misses professors from years ago re-trained to be nurses :yikes: and are in the uk now :doh

yep! even Medical Doctors, dentists too!!!!! :cwm24::cwm24::cwm24::Erm:

pennybarry
25th April 2009, 06:43
The thing with this, Newly Registered Nurses or student nurses are being "forced" to do some trainings, to get qualifications needed. Forced - meaning they have no choice but to get some trainings without them being paid. Worst case scenario, most students are the one paying the hospitals... Unlike here, you are being paid doing OJTs.

No:

Even if nurses applied for volunteering, it's hard to get in because it's not from what you are but WHOM you are. :doh

My doctor niece is also trained as Nurse in NZ:D

mnemosyne
7th May 2009, 02:41
it's not really volunteer work because they will receive some allowance. besides that will give them the experience and training they need to be eligible for work abroad.

Florge
7th May 2009, 05:48

yup.. 2 years serving the country first before they are allowed to look for work abroad.. and most employers would require them to have work experience..

Florge
7th May 2009, 05:50
my sister's friend just arrived in London a few days ago... was hired as a nurse there but worked as nurse for 4 or 5 years in Davao...