PDA

View Full Version : Why they make it withheld?

Pepe n Pilar
19th March 2009, 11:22
When i first came here and met some filipinas we have exchanged contact numbers(homeline and mobile numbers). I never thought of what will happen for i was so eager to make friends with them. When i want to call them i simply dial and don't hide my number but when they call me they do hide it. No one told me about this even my closest friend who has been here for 20 yrs probably bec she never experienced miscalls. Same with my husband.

There are some who wants to befriend me and so they call and i appreciate it but when i call back i've noticed the number is withheld. Why?

WE can do that i guess just once if we want to ask something but not twice, thrice etc. If they want us as their friend why is it one-way?

One filipina said she experienced miscalls on her mobile and so she changed it but she maintained her homeline and so the misscalls which is disturbing her even during the wee hours. I understand that that's why she chooses her friends as what she told me. She calls me so she wants me as her friend but why hide the phone number? If she doesn't like me as a friend then why call me and always have a good chat?:doh:doh

Only filipinas hide their contact numbers. I have friends of different nationalities and i can return the call......:)

Any thoughts about this?

Cheers!:)

rusty
19th March 2009, 11:47
When i want to call them i simply dial and don't hide my number but when they call me they do hide it.

I can't answer why some people withhold their number but this is an option you can set up on all outgoing calls, so don't think its just when calling you.

If you want to stop unwanted calls from telesales companies etc. you can register your number with http://www.callpreventionregistry.co.uk/

Pepe n Pilar
19th March 2009, 12:07
thanks for the info Rusty. I think we have to register our number and then tell them what particular names of the companies we don't want to receive calls from. I'm referring to personal calls because i have talked to them and when i wanted to return the call it is withheld.

Thanks.:)

Piamed
19th March 2009, 16:51
We have number witheld on our home line for all outgoing calls. All those we want to have our number have it anyway.

smiler78
19th March 2009, 16:58
Hi, its quite normal here for people to hold back there numbers so its maybe not a personal thing they are doing to you, maybe its just the way they have there telephone set, maybe they don't even realise.:BouncyHappy:

KeithD
19th March 2009, 17:26
You'll probably find most business calls are 'withheld' as they come through an exchange. Some phones can be set to automatically do this, then folk calling through the internet will also show as w/h as they have no number.

Sconnie
19th March 2009, 22:47
We have number witheld on our home line for all outgoing calls. All those we want to have our number have it anyway.

What !!!!
You did not give me your number :Erm::doh

That means Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh :omg::omg: :bigcry::bigcry:

:D:D:D

jta
20th March 2009, 00:22
usually rubbish call, like advertisement they withheld their nos.. and some they don't know or realize that their nos. were hidden..like me i just know that my phone no. was hidden when a friend of mine asked me why my no. is withheld? so then i checked and it was set default of my phone.

charlwill
20th March 2009, 01:37
Our landline number is witheld as well, in our all outgoing calls. I only give my number to the person I want. Now, if you have a problem with the anonymous caller then you can request to your provider not to accept calls from them (anonymous caller).

Pepe n Pilar
20th March 2009, 09:38
Ah so i can set a feature on my phone so the number will be withheld. I cannot report to the service provider the number of the anonymous caller since everytime she/he calls me it doesn't appear.

I understand that we can do this as long as we can identity the caller like the names of the companies but not individuals?

Piamed
20th March 2009, 12:55
What !!!!
You did not give me your number :Erm::doh

That means Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh :omg::omg: :bigcry::bigcry:

:D:D:DI've got your number mate! :xxsmilie_auslachen:

Pepe n Pilar
20th March 2009, 13:25
I also give my numbers to those i want and thought would be a good friend but some just give contact numbers to their friends without asking permission. There are times that some people call and withhold their numbers.

We know if sales calls witheld their numbers but still they converse with us but what i'm referring to is there are misscalls which are annoying. They just ring your phone once..:omg::omg::NoNo::NoNo:

I know i can now withhold my number if i want to bec i only learned about the code recently.:omg:

What is the best thing to do? change the homeline? for how long does the processing takes?

Thanks for the replies
Cheers!:)

Pepe n Pilar
20th March 2009, 17:56
I got the problem solved. My husband called our service provider to report that we don't want callers who withhold their numbers. Now anyone who calls our landline and withhold their numbers won't get through. There's an additional fee of £2.50/month.

Thanks no more annoying calls.....:Hellooo::Hellooo::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
20th March 2009, 18:21
I just farted :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Pepe n Pilar
20th March 2009, 18:24
I just farted :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:omg::omg::NoNo::NoNo::Hellooo::Hellooo:

Thanks to all the replies. Thanks Boss Keith..:xxgrinning--00xx3::):Hellooo:

Pepe n Pilar
24th March 2009, 14:31
Thanks also Charlwill for the infos you have given me. Now your number had appeared?:)
Is there a feature where outgoing calls will be automatically withheld?

Our landline is not withheld i just dial the code if i wanted to but it's not programmed.

All sales calls and personal calls that used to hide their numbers don't have a choice but to show their numbers or else they won't get through. Now i can identify who among the callers are annoying, can report them if i prefer to.

All sorted out. Thank you very much indeed for the infos.:Hellooo:

Scouse
24th March 2009, 21:57
Number is withheld/advised not available if a customer is ex-directory as well.