PDA

View Full Version : Why is life like that????????

Piamed
9th March 2009, 12:47
I had recently tried to convince Pia that we need to move into a 'family home'; one where we can plan to stay for many years while we raise our family.

We found an incredible house that we love but unfortunately (or fortunately for me), with the current econmic climate being what it is, the risks associated with its purchase are too great. So we decided not too. Plus, Pia is happy where we are anyway; just me being over zealous as usual.:)

Anyway, we then considered an alternative. We could add space downstairs bu having a conservatory built. These are much much cheaper than I'd previously thought. Well, I made some calls today and had no sooner set up some appointments when the post arrived.:NoNo:

There it was, the ominous brown envelope from the tax office. They have now recalculated my tax for last year based on the fact that my employer apparently taxed me at the basic rate and not the 40% they should have. The result? I nearly fainted. Let's just say that if I sold our car to pay it, I would still owe plenty. :Brick:

I wish I'd known but of course like most I, never examined my pay slips closely enough. :doh

Still Pia and the baby are fine and I feel great about that! :xxgrinning--00xx3: Who needs a conservatory anyway?

scott&ligaya
9th March 2009, 13:03
Yes the dreaded tax man, quite a shocker for me paying 40% after living in HK at 16% and no VAT.

as Monty python said

look on the bright side

Living in a small space has it's advantages

less furniture to buy

lower heating bills

harder to lose things (I can never find anything in our Palawan home)

You argue less because you have to live on top of each other( hmmm Maybe thats where babies come from)

you have to be organised ... no room for clutter

Number one advantage is

you get to be closer to your beautiful mahal (in your case the bump has made that the case anyway hehehe)
:BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy:

Piamed
9th March 2009, 13:57
Very true my friend! Part of life.

KeithD
9th March 2009, 14:18
Just phone the tax office, you don't have to pay it in one, they can sort it so you pay it off over time with a new tax code.

Alan
9th March 2009, 14:21
What's tax? :Erm:

Al.:)

Piamed
9th March 2009, 14:33
Just phone the tax office, you don't have to pay it in one, they can sort it so you pay it off over time with a new tax code.Hi Keith. I'm breathing again and have just called them but they said they will call me back. They seem not sure of the figures. :NoNo: Hope it wont be even more! :NoNo:

What's tax? :Erm:

Al.:)Lucky guy!

benb
9th March 2009, 17:55
Hi Keith. I'm breathing again and have just called them but they said they will call me back. They seem not sure of the figures. :NoNo: Hope it wont be even more! :NoNo:

Lucky guy!

Hey Mate,

sorry to hear that.

Work out the tax yourself as the tax man may get it wrong again.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm

Also, put your savings in Pia's account to lower tax on that. Has she got NI? if so, get ISA for her.

As for rental income, you might want to consider that as part of your wife's income as she has £6k allowance per year. So get the rental income to go straight to her account, she then uses it for regular food, shoes shopping etc. This is only good if the rental income offset against buy to let interest is much higher because she cannot really offset that.

Best Wishes

Piamed
9th March 2009, 21:57
Great ideas dude! Cheers.

Sconnie
9th March 2009, 22:09
You don't have much luck Toks, hope the taxman come back with a lower amount and you will be able to pay it off gradually.
The home you have is very nice, has good amenities in the locality, and park area close by, its great and the children will delight, I am sure, in kicking you out of the top floor when they are older and having that as their rooms, wow 2 floors between parents watching TV and kids....... being kids........ you will be happy there my friend, take it easy keep smiling, think about your blessings :-)

Piamed
9th March 2009, 23:50
You don't have much luck Toks, hope the taxman come back with a lower amount and you will be able to pay it off gradually.
The home you have is very nice, has good amenities in the locality, and park area close by, its great and the children will delight, I am sure, in kicking you out of the top floor when they are older and having that as their rooms, wow 2 floors between parents watching TV and kids....... being kids........ you will be happy there my friend, take it easy keep smiling, think about your blessings :-)

I hear you budddy! To be honest I know I'm really fortunate in so many ways. It's just me fantasising about the pack of dogs I want to have running around the house alongside the kids:) We are definitely now gonna be staying for at least a few years. Decision made! You'll have to continue sharing your bedroom with my gym and the baby clothes though! :)

PeterB
16th March 2009, 16:05
They have now recalculated my tax for last year based on the fact that my employer apparently taxed me at the basic rate and not the 40% they should have. The result? I nearly fainted. Let's just say that if I sold our car to pay it, I would still owe plenty.

Gosh. Either you earn far too much, or your car isn't worth a great deal!

More likely, the Revenue have miscalculated!

sysop
16th March 2009, 16:09
There it was, the ominous brown envelope from the tax office. They have now recalculated my tax for last year based on the fact that my employer apparently taxed me at the basic rate and not the 40% they should have.

You only pay 40%?

I live in the wrong country :Brick:

Piamed
16th March 2009, 19:28
Gosh. Either you earn far too much, or your car isn't worth a great deal!

More likely, the Revenue have miscalculated!I definitely don't earn too much. :NoNo: I wish i did. I have had it confirmed that the amount was correct less about £3k. So I have to pay it. I've reached an interim repayment agreement with the IR. It will be reviewed in 3 months.

You only pay 40%?

I live in the wrong country :Brick:You must be in Scandinavia? If so you probably earn more than the UK equivalent.

Sconnie
16th March 2009, 20:24
I hear you budddy! To be honest I know I'm really fortunate in so many ways. It's just me fantasising about the pack of dogs I want to have running around the house alongside the kids:) We are definitely now gonna be staying for at least a few years. Decision made! You'll have to continue sharing your bedroom with my gym and the baby clothes though! :)

No problem Bonny Lad, looking forward to Friday :BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy::Rasp:

My sewage pipe has finally stopped flooding :xxgrinning--00xx3::D:cwm12:

Piamed
16th March 2009, 20:27
We're waiting for you buddy! Sewage pipe?

Sconnie
16th March 2009, 23:25
We're waiting for you buddy! Sewage pipe?

Tell you on friday:action-smiley-081::action-smiley-082::action-smiley-082::36_1_26[1]: