PDA

View Full Version : Unfair Dismissal?

tiN
24th February 2009, 13:17
I just need an advice about my situation:doh

As i posted around 2 weeks ago, the company that im working for will going to terminate my contract after my visa expired. Well I received a phone call yesterday with my manager, saying dont bother coming back to work:cwm23::cwm23: because the company is not satisfied in the web site of HO that i am still eligible to work here.

My husband is angry as i was enjoying my job, now he told me that he is going to phone the Employment tribunal as what they did to me is an Unfair Dismissal?

Are we doing the right thing or just leave it like this:doh:doh

Im not sure what to do..:NoNo::NoNo:

kione
24th February 2009, 13:31
i think its also a subtle excuse to sack more people... specially now that thousands are losing their jobs every week in the UK alone. :( its sad really...
Usually they dont like accepting applicants that has less than 6 months left on their visa.
maybe you should talk to them and ask them for a clear explanation.??

LadyJ
24th February 2009, 13:32
Yes your husband is right, make a complaint but on other hand you wouldn't want to go to work with bad relationship with your employer?

benb
24th February 2009, 13:46

As i posted around 2 weeks ago, the company that im working for will going to terminate my contract after my visa expired. Well I received a phone call yesterday with my manager, saying dont bother coming back to work:cwm23::cwm23: because the company is not satisfied in the web site of HO that i am still eligible to work here.

My husband is angry as i was enjoying my job, now he told me that he is going to phone the Employment tribunal as what they did to me is an Unfair Dismissal?

"Not satisfied in the web site of HO" - what do you mean?

Are you a contractor/agency worker? if so, you have little rights.

Best Wishes

DaveyWallis
24th February 2009, 14:54
As I advised you 2 weeks ago, as you have less than 1 years length of service your employers can terminate your contract as they have done.

You can only take them to Employment Tribunal if they have acted in a discriminatory way - which they haven't.

Time to move on and find a new job.

Andy

tiN
24th February 2009, 15:07
i think its also a subtle excuse to sack more people... specially now that thousands are losing their jobs every week in the UK alone. :( its sad really...
Usually they dont like accepting applicants that has less than 6 months left on their visa.
maybe you should talk to them and ask them for a clear explanation.??

We did talk to them and the HO told me also that they are not supposed to be terminating my contract. I dont know, i think we will try and contact the ET then ask them what is the best thing to do.

tiN
24th February 2009, 15:09
Yes your husband is right, make a complaint but on other hand you wouldn't want to go to work with bad relationship with your employer?

Im no sure if i am going back to work if my husband will report this. He just wanted an advice to the ET as he is not very happy how they dismissed me.:doh

tiN
24th February 2009, 15:12
"Not satisfied in the web site of HO" - what do you mean?

Are you a contractor/agency worker? if so, you have little rights.

Best Wishes

Yes they are not satisfied, they look at the web site, eventhough it tells there that im still eligible to work under my current visa, they wanted the receipt from the HO:doh:doh:NoNo::NoNo:

I am a contractor, we will try and i will let u know what happen.

tiN
24th February 2009, 15:17
As I advised you 2 weeks ago, as you have less than 1 years length of service your employers can terminate your contract as they have done.

You can only take them to Employment Tribunal if they have acted in a discriminatory way - which they haven't.

Time to move on and find a new job.

Andy

Yes I remember Andy, but finding a new job will be hard for me this time as my passport is in the hand of HO:doh:doh so i need to wait till my visa arrived which im not sure when:NoNo::doh:NoNo:

And I know that most cases will have to be a year's service to make a claim for unfair dismissal, we will just going to ask them what is the best thing to do..:doh:doh

darren-b
24th February 2009, 15:48
if you are a contractor and they are terminating your employment as per your work contact with them then I don't think there is anything you can do if you can't persuade them to change their minds.

benb
24th February 2009, 17:15
Yes they are not satisfied, they look at the web site, eventhough it tells there that im still eligible to work under my current visa, they wanted the receipt from the HO:doh:doh:NoNo::NoNo:

I am a contractor, we will try and i will let u know what happen.

They are just giving silly excuses to get rid of you. I would dump them and look for another job. I know its tough times, but keep trying.

Best Wishes

nigel
24th February 2009, 17:24
Definately start a claim for unfair dismissal, you've got to stand up and be counted when you live in England...Sometimes you've got to fight just to get fair treatment!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

vbkelly
24th February 2009, 18:15
i think if you work less than 6months you just have a week of notice to terminate your contract but its depend by the company.

LadyJ
24th February 2009, 19:05
Also try Citizen Advice Bureau for free advice:xxgrinning--00xx3:

tiN
24th February 2009, 22:22
Also try Citizen Advice Bureau for free advice:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks LadyJ, we will try to contact them tomorrow.:) We submitted a form this afternoon in ET i will just wait for their reply, fingers cross all will go well..:xxgrinning--00xx3:

keithAngel
25th February 2009, 01:38
You dont explain what you mean when you say "after my visa expired" but this may be a misunderstanding the responsibility to ensure employees are eligible to work now falls on employers and as a company if you get caught the penalty can be as much as £10,000 perhaps someone with little knowledge in this area is simply covering the companies legal position vis your eligibility to work:Erm:

PeterB
25th February 2009, 04:04
You dont explain what you mean when you say "after my visa expired"

This may be part of the problem. Your visa may, technically, have expired. But, in actual fact, the terms of your visa have been extended, pending the outcome of your ILR application.

Also, it seems to me that this action to dismiss you could well be discriminatory - they may just be terminating your employment because they think that it is easy to justify.

keithAngel
25th February 2009, 06:28
Agreed Peter but the important thing at this point is to seek open clarification as if its simple misunderstanding they will probably have to put it right ,if it malice then its the sort of evidence that will help later in a tribunal.

The Government has been publisizing the penalties for employing folk who have no appropriate visa so it could well be that ,either way seek written clarification :xxgrinning--00xx3:

PeterB
25th February 2009, 16:51
The Government has been publisizing the penalties for employing folk who have no appropriate visa...

Indeed, I used to receive dire warnings, on a regular basis, with HMRC mailings. Thank goodness I no longer have the hassle of running a company!

joebloggs
25th February 2009, 21:33
This may be part of the problem. Your visa may, technically, have expired. But, in actual fact, the terms of your visa have been extended, pending the outcome of your ILR application.

that is the problem, she is in no man's land, of having no visa she can show her employer..

it could be months b4 she gets the result of her visa app, and her employer would have no evidence of her visa status, i'm not saying she would do this, but she could for months say she has not heard anything yet, while in fact she could have been refused :doh. her employer doesn't want to take the risk.:NoNo: .. no visa no job :cwm24:

some non euros who are married to Europeans in the UK, are having similar problems, that the gov is taking so long to issue evidence that they can work.

tiN
26th February 2009, 11:36
that is the problem, she is in no man's land, of having no visa she can show her employer..

it could be months b4 she gets the result of her visa app, and her employer would have no evidence of her visa status, i'm not saying she would do this, but she could for months say she has not heard anything yet, while in fact she could have been refused :doh. her employer doesn't want to take the risk.:NoNo: .. no visa no job :cwm24:

some non euros who are married to Europeans in the UK, are having similar problems, that the gov is taking so long to issue evidence that they can work.

My employer wants to know when will the HO release my visa:doh:doh

And I know for a fact that they dont give any date when:bigcry::bigcry:

Do they refused ILR?:NoNo::NoNo:

joebloggs
26th February 2009, 18:41
Do they refused ILR?

yes they do refuse ILR, but not often, one of the main reasons for refusal was applying too early (more than 28 days), not sending all the evidence your asked to, so they make a decision on the evidence you supplied :NoNo:, etc

tiN
26th February 2009, 19:06
yes they do refuse ILR, but not often, one of the main reasons for refusal was applying too early (more than 28 days), not sending all the evidence your asked to, so they make a decision on the evidence you supplied :NoNo:, etc

A letter sent to me, saying that if they need more evidence they will just contact me.. Im a bit scared really because of my situation but fingers cross..:doh:doh:doh

joebloggs
26th February 2009, 19:10
most of the time if they want more information they will ask you for it, and probably not refuse your visa,

nothing to worry about nearly all are granted, it should be just a formality, as you done most of the hard work getting your spouse/settlement visa :xxgrinning--00xx3:

tiN
26th February 2009, 19:12
most of the time if they want more information they will ask you for it, and probably not refuse your visa,

nothing to worry about nearly all are granted, it should be just a formality, as you done most of the hard work getting your spouse/settlement visa :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks alot joe:)

Ann07
26th February 2009, 19:56
Hi sis,

I feel so sorry about the your situation. As what I said before its not fair but I dont really know your status in the work. As I mentioned to you about my pinay workmate who were exctly the same as you when she started her work and applied for her ilr but the boss never terminated her.

Dont worry about your ilr I know you will be ok.

All the best for you:)