PDA

View Full Version : Philippine Embassy London - How Pleasant !"

ginapeterb
22nd February 2009, 11:17
A very pleasant Experience at the Philippine Embassy

How experiences differ around the world, but our experience of a visit to the Philippine Embassy in London just reminds me, of how the British Embassy could behave towards its own citizens, if it really loved them.

Is it me, or do the Philippine officials really love the people, is love the right word, it seems to me they do, or is it, that to be Filipino is to be part of a family, or is there something else at work, could it be that the Filipino people are so used to being footballs for the world to kick around and obstruct in every aspect of their quests to move around, that they simply have to close ranks and take care of each other wherever they are.

That certainly was my experience, but what amazes me also, is that if your foreign, you are included in that too.

What a contrast, between my visits to the British Embassy in the Philippines, and my visit to the Philippine Embassy in London.

This Friday, my Gina and I spent the whole morning a the Philippine Embassy in Suffolk street, the new address, the embassy is now very accessible, just to the top left hand corner of Trafalgar Square, and down Pall Mall East, one block down, a rather beautiful building, with character and certainly giving the Philippines government a nice home in London.

But what surprises me is just how casual and nice it is to get into the Embassy, naturally the downstairs office is clearly marked "Philippine Consular Section", a nice room to the right, with all relevant forms, explanatory notes and a photo copier for your photo copying needs, is clearly a welcome sight.

And if you are at a loose end and bored, you can listen to ABS CBN T.V. on the Filipino channel whilst you wait, see the news, watch day time t.v., hmmmmm BRITISH EMBASSY MATCH THAT ONE !"

As a British citizen (foreigner) on Philippine territory in UK, I was bemused to find the Philippine Ambassador His Excellency Mr Edgardo Espiritu, walking inside and chatting to everyone, saying Hello, and his nice smile and Good morning Sir, amazed me, and kind of humbled me to the point of having to pinch myself just to remind me, that actually, I never get to meet Senior diplomats, certainly not Ambassadors of countries with over 70 million people.

What surprised me, (and thinking that they would handle things with the usual SNAFU that is witnessed at some government departments in the Philippines) is the organization and efficiency, yes ok we have all taken the number to sit and wait to be called, lets face it, if you buy a freshly cut peice of steak at Tesco, you still have to take your number and wait, if you go for a blood test at your local hospital, you still have to take a number and wait.

Here it was no different, its the best system really, then you are seen on the basis of what time you arrive, again, fair and reasonable, but after 20 minutes of waiting, our matters were concluded, we were asked to come back at 12.30, again efficient, and on time.

Socially speaking, it was great to meet so many Filipino families, who chatted with each other, they chatted also to me, and we were all lamenting on the UK and how the loved it here, as it was their place of work.

At one stage, a Filipino lady came up to me, and said Sir, could you tell us where to go to renew and activate our new xxxxx card ?

I said "Madam" thank you for your enquiry, but I think you should know, I do not work here at the Embassy ????? ohhhh she replied, I am sorry, I thought you did, (I was dressed for seeing a client in the afternoon) this has also happened to me at our local Tesco, customers come up to me and ask if I know where the salt is ?

It must be the collar and tie....I can't think of any other reason for it.

In conclusion, our experience was superb, laughter and chatter, and lots of friendly smiles and exchanges, the Ambassador strolling around chatting with people, no security on arrival, and what tickled me even more, was people making mobile telephone calls from inside the Consulate, amazing !

Hats of to the Philippine Government, and hats off to the people of the Philippines, only you could run something like this, BE PROUD FILIPINOS !
Its your treatment of others, that brings you high praise from those that look on and see.

LadyJ
22nd February 2009, 11:48
Thanks for another lovely words Pete. You're always making us Filipinos proud :xxgrinning--00xx3:even though your other half Gina is always cooking a smelly dried fish and yet you still love Filipinos:D:icon_lol:

IainBusby
22nd February 2009, 11:51
A very pleasant Experience at the Philippine Embassy

That certainly was my experience, but what amazes me also, is that if your foreign, you are included in that too.

I found them very helpful as well when I contacted them recently about my step-daughter's change of name. I sent an email to the embassy and within an hour, a lady there had tried to contact me by phone and had left a message for me to call her back. I did call her back when I returned from my lunch break and she was extremely friendly and helpful.

If you sent an email to the British embassy in Phils you'd be lucky if they replied to you within a week and if you actually tried to phone them, I'm sure it would take quite a few attempts before you would get through, if at all.

Iain.

somebody
22nd February 2009, 13:26
Sounds good, and long may it continue.

But do bear in mind i doubt they have such abig security worry as the British do due to various reasons. Im sure if the Milf or other organsations which have a issue they wish to had suddenly a presence in London. Things would change. From what i saw the Security was a very lax compared to most which sounds like they would rather spare the money. Which is a good idea, the cost of security in most of the Embassies far out weighs the risk i belive they would have and is mainly there for show.
I can think of three embassies that I could pop in and be treated like one of them if i was just passing. I have to say three very different countries and all have a crazy amount of security. The reason all three have tremdous security strangely is not due so much to a terrorist threat but more due to animal rights protestors.

Also in the same day I have Visited different countries embassies on numerous occasions which are nearby one another in the same area of London and the security it seems on the whole is dicatated by the host nation as much as the actual Country who own the Embassy.

On visiting the Embassies of various countries in London on businessthey do generally represent their countries in very differet ways and often as you would expect.
Like you say I have met the main person acting in a casual, down to earth manner(ambassdor,consul,comissoner,etc) in some of them and in others I wouldn't have a chance.

I have to say the British Embassy in Phill was the most run down one i have ever visited back in 2004,but i belive they were planing on moving so maybe there was sense in them not wasting money doing the place up.

Also from passing the phill embassy and going in to the courtyard behind to visit clients i noticed many of the staff were British. while of course many of the staff in the British Embassy in manila are Phill...

ginapeterb
22nd February 2009, 14:27
[QUOTE] have to say the British Embassy in Phill was the most run down one i have ever visited back in 2004,but i belive they were planing on moving so maybe there was sense in them not wasting money doing the place up./QUOTE]

I could not agree with you more, and your assertions are a fair and balanced argument that kind of makes my initial post legitimate, my contact with the British Embassy in Manila back in 2004 also, was I have to say, one of those experiences where you are not proud to be British.

I think some of the oldies on this forum may remember my long and detailed visit there back in March/September of 2004, I came up against the original dragon herself, Miss Jaqueline Lewin, who hails from Peckham.

It did not start off very well, and in truth, I was glad to be out of the Embassy, apart from being ashamed at the way I was spoken to, my happy go lucky, polite overtures did not seem to get me anywhere, after she continued to rant at me in public, causing me to loose face in front of a number of Filipino staff onlookers, and most of all in front of my soon to be wife, it seemed to take an eternity to get anything done.

After I had explained that I was not in the Philippines on holiday, that I was only in Manila to sort out visa problems, and paperwork, and that I was anxious to fly back to London as my business was suffering, and loss of earnings etc, we managed to get the required result by the afternoon.

But it does not change the fact that my experience was a bad one, I remembering lamenting to my now wife when I said "Don't worry honey, she does not represent the British people, and they that is (The grumpy English guy who interviewed you) does not represent our people, almost apologetically, I make excuses for their brash and rude attitude by saying, our people are not like this, you will find them to be so nice and polite.

I suppose like me, one can be immensely proud to be British, and for me that is the case, I love my country, and I love the values and traditions we all observe, take London for example, London to me is for everyone, it does not matter where you come from, what language you speak, London's message has always been, "This is everyones London", thats the message I like to think is promoted.

I remember thinking just how the Philippine Embassy made me feel, such as "This is the Philippine Embassy, refuge of the Filipino people in the UK - but by the way, foreigners, your'e welcome too"

I don't know what some of you guys think about the stories we pick up on internet, or in Filipino national and regional newspapers, about British guys who are mis-behaving in the Philippines, especially those who arrived at immigration and get into rows with Immigration officers, or who bad mouth them, or create scenes, it really drives me up the wall, and in truth, makes me ashamed, when we are in the country, we should all seek to be on our very best behaviour, after all, the Filipino's already think we are arrogant, well that is not all foreigners, but generally, arrogant, and snooty, and look down on them.

When I am in the Philippines, I am careful that the correct impression is given off about the British people, I am careful to make my nationality distinct and distance myself from any bad stories about these matters, I talk to Filipino accountants, lawyers and Doctors, and officials, when I have occasion to do so, I make it clear that the stories they hear are hopefully in the minority, and they don't represent the majority of the British visitor community to the Philippines, I hope it works, because for every 50 good stories the 1 bad one, leaves the bad impression in their minds.

I agree wholeheartedly with the Commissioner on Immigration Mr Libanan, who clearly states that entering the Philippines is a privilidge not a guaranteed right, and those who show dis respect to the Filipino people such as Immigration officers, will be removed.

From what I can gather, the behaviour of our Forum members here in the Philippines appears to be exemplary, thus showing that you have all entered the Philippines as Ambassadors for our country, I think also, the way we show courtesy and respect for our hosts when we travel there, will be reflected in their treatment of us.

I think in contrast though, my experiences of British facilities abroad has been a dissapointment, although I continue to hear reports of other facilities in other countries such as Hong Kong, and Singapore, being very good, Manila seems to be in the minority, however, having said that, back to my point about the Filipino Embassy, my motto is this " Treat people of another nation as you would expect them to treat you"

But if any doubt as to where you might turn when in foreign countries, I heard the Dutch Embassy is very good to the British in distress ? perhaps that's the place to go.

walesrob
22nd February 2009, 14:46
Pete and I will always laugh at the downright rudeness and general lack of cooperation from our British Embassy in Manila. Maybe things have improved now the Embassy has moved to Taguig.

somebody
22nd February 2009, 15:06
Totaly agree that whoever, whatever and whyever your doing anything you should treat all and everything with the upmost respect.

I also had a email convo with JL.
I think Pete and Rob and their lovely mahals were applying a few months before us, so the posts which they made detailing the poor customer experience did indeed help a little to change things up. Plus events elsewhere

Plus thanks to Petes one of his great posts that the application system was changing unanounced. Which left the Wife and I forewarned things were changing and in a state of flux. I found the indivual mentioned was very helpful and speedy in her responses via email.

Also to add regarding the Phill embassy I guess along with other countries with high level of ofws, and spouses this is a premier country for the ambassdor to be sent to Although maybe not for the weather.
The UK like peter mentions will not see the benefits sadly of having a flagship embassy in Phill. Compared to say Hong kong, US or other large trade partners

But still manners dont cost a penny.

PeterB
22nd February 2009, 15:34
Two points ....

When I visited the Philippine Embassy (at their old address) in London, I found it to be a very pleasant experience.

The current British Consul in Manila is a very pleasant lady, with a friendly approach. She seems to be somewhat apologetic for the fact that what she can (and can't) do for the British citizens in Philippines is tightly controlled by directions from the government. I hope that her posting to Manila will be extended beyond the initial two year appointment.

bornatbirth
22nd February 2009, 20:35
try going to the israeli embassy in london and see they are on complete lockdown you wouldnt even know it was there.

there are many embassies in london from small countries where the ambassador and a few staff are on duty and you can walk straight into the offices without even a guard on duty,so it doesnt surprise that they can walk around and greet people.

if only we world would allow us all to do so!

Fitzy
22nd February 2009, 22:59
I found them very helpful as well when I contacted them recently about my step-daughter's change of name. I sent an email to the embassy and within an hour, a lady there had tried to contact me by phone and had left a message for me to call her back. I did call her back when I returned from my lunch break and she was extremely friendly and helpful.

If you sent an email to the British embassy in Phils you'd be lucky if they replied to you within a week and if you actually tried to phone them, I'm sure it would take quite a few attempts before you would get through, if at all.

Iain.
I second that my friend, as it was over a week before i got a reply!!

darren-b
23rd February 2009, 08:15
Totaly agree that whoever, whatever and whyever your doing anything you should treat all and everything with the upmost respect.

I also had a email convo with JL.
I think Pete and Rob and their lovely mahals were applying a few months before us, so the posts which they made detailing the poor customer experience did indeed help a little to change things up. Plus events elsewhere

I can't say we found any real problems with the Embassy when we applied in Jan 2005. My wife's comments after the interview was that the British interviewer was nice, he smiled a lot, and his questions were easy. Though she did comment that there were some other people being interviewed at that same time who weren't having such a pleasant time.

ginapeterb
23rd February 2009, 08:54
Thus this shows that all experiences are different in nature, some pleasant others not so pleasant, in my case, not so pleasant on the day, and if I remember rightly, it was one of those days, where one spent all day, chatting outside with other applicants partners' when I look back at those experiences, they are now but as a blip in my quest to bring my wife to UK.

I think we can all agree on that, at the time, of course it appears to be a crisis, isn't everything when you are the center of it.

You often wonder, "Well what is going on ?" "Why isn't she coming out yet" and of course you feel dis-enfranchised from the whole thing, those who got their visa's by post are of course in some respects better off, but are they, they have to wait weeks biting their nails waiting for a result, whereas in our case, we had to wait outside but at least we got our result on the day, but then again, in our case, I don't know if many of you remember, but our visa was withdrawn 3 weeks after issue, and cancelled, how about that one for a spanner in the wheel.

If any one remember's our case, I know Rob and Keith do for one, and some of you also do, we had to wait from July to September to provide evidence that I was not married, even though they had already seen my divorce decree absolute, plus an allegation was made that my darling Gina was in fact a Makati Bar Girl.

We laugh about it now, but these things happen, eventually our visa was re-instated, after I had to take time out of my work, and fly back to Manila to oversee the process, (But I had a nice re-union with my mahal at same time of course).

Needless to say, we had problems then getting out of country, because all flights were full, that was Cathay Pacific, Gulf Air, Qatar Air, and various others, so I had to take another 10 days of work and wait for next flight back to London,

ohhhhhhhhhhh what a shame....!!!

All ends well, these are all about experiences, and there is good and bad everywhere, di ba, masama at Maganda.