PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

welshguy
18th February 2009, 22:47
Ok, I'm a new member, and I've spent a few hours going through some of the posts already here, and find myself looking for advice.

I'm a UK citizen who met a very special someone whilst we were both working in the UAE. J is a Filipina (and she's already pretty much captured my heart), but since her last relationship was bad (she was left with a child, and the father didn't want to know), she's been very hesitant to start something with me, that combined with the draconian laws in the UAE made trying to date her difficult. (She's admitted she likes me, but was scared of getting into legal trouble)

Now, I've had to leave the Emirates and return to the UK (which certainly makes dating even more difficult). J is still in the UAE and working incredibly hard (too hard I think). I'm stuck for what to do next.

Ideally, I'd pay for J (visa/flights etc) to come to the UK for a few weeks so we can spend time together and see what develops. At that point, we can decide (hopefully) that there's something worth pursuing (I think there is).

The problem is, this country (UK) seems hellbent in keeping certain people out, whilst welcoming others with open arms who abuse the system.

My idea, which I'm finding isn't as brilliant as I thought, was for J to visit me on a visit visa (either once for six months) or several times over the course of the year for a couple of weeks), until we got to the point where marriage could be discussed, and then we'd apply for the fiancee route.

As she has a child (in the Phillippines), and currently has a good record of immigration into the UAE (returning home as required and working legally), what are her chances of obtaining a visit visa? Her own finances aren't brilliant (steady, but low income).

I'm well aware that some people may consider the idea ludicrous, and I've heeded the warnings that she could be trying to fleece me, but she's been reluctant to ask for money, and still happy to talk to me when I've had to refuse.

Ideas and suggestions gratefully appreciated.

L

Sim11UK
19th February 2009, 15:22
Your idea certainly isn't ludicrous, the majority of people on here have faced all sorts of adversities, to be together.

Most of us entered relationships, having absolutely no idea of immigration laws, many more will follow. We all managed to find our way, to this fantastic site.

Try for a visit visa, it'll be a yes or a no? The fact that your gf has been working outside of the Philippines & has returned home, may well work in her favour?

Roughly 80% of visit visas are turned down, but that means 20% are succesful.

The only surefire way to be together, at the moment is to visit her.
Hang in there, don't think your situation is hopeless, I'm sure all the hassles will be worth it in the end.

Good luck! :)

Bluebirdjones
19th February 2009, 17:50
The idea is "sound" ...

Remember, she's already outside the Philippines, so doesn't have to convince the British Embassy in Manila that she'll "disappear", or an economic refugee!

If she wanted to disappear into the black economy of the Gulf States she'd have done that long ago.
But as you,ve stated, she's always complied with the immigration laws.
The British Embassy out there (UAE) should look favourably at that.

.. also helps that you also worked there, have met her, dated her etc etc.

Best of luck

Handsome Bee
9th April 2009, 18:18
Hi I'm new to this too and am in a similar position. Anyway, with my limited experience would it not be easier to visit her in the Philippines?

Rob

aromulus
9th April 2009, 19:28
Hi I'm new to this too and am in a similar position. Anyway, with my limited experience would it not be easier to visit her in the Philippines?

Rob

She is not there presently, and probably not for a while yet........:doh

Yes, the idea of visit visa is good for the time being, but you have to take into account that not all applications are successful, as someone already hinted.
But using the UAE as a starting point and with a good past record, I don't see the Brit Embassy refusing her a visitor visa, especially if you give her a good supporting letter.
I would suggest to apply for a shorter visa, if it is at all possible, so that the ECO could make a judgement more in line with her economic situation.
And if her current employer also states that they will re-employ her on return to UAE, the chances will be higher for a positive result.
Joe and Rob, or Peter will be able to give you more insight on this. Just wait and they will pop along.
Good luck

MarBell379
9th April 2009, 20:44
Visa's ARE the tricky biy aren't they - lol
Unfortunately we have to work with the rules. Visitor Visas can be applied for, but they seem arbitrarily turned down sometimes. Going to visit her would seem to be the easier option, otherwise its a case of being committed (to each other ) and going for fiancee or spouse Visa.
Good luck.

When I met my gf she was in Israel, unfortunately her visa was linked to her employer and didnt last as long as was expected, so she's back in the Philippines which is a much longer journey and more expensive (I guess I had it easy at first though). The time difference is the big pain in the a$$ now, until we get our own fiancee visa application in.