PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Eurofghters !

ginapeterb
21st October 2004, 23:43
Hey, Where are the Eurofighters, we are supposed to have 232 Eurofghter Advanced Multi role combat fighters in service, where are they, 15 Billion quid was put aside in 1997 just when this lot came into power, my freinds tell me over at a certain government department, that we have only 2 squadrons of the RAF in service, one at RAF Coningsby in Lincolnshire, and the other one is at RAF Marham in Norfolk, when are we getting the rest ??

Once we get shut of the Tornado F4's and Tornado GR1's maybe the Philippine AIr Force might want them, of course they do cost money to run.

And where are the promised Super Carriers, we are supposed to be having an Atlantic Fleet and a Pacific Fleet, where are they?? and of course we are supposed to be having 100 of the new Joint Strike Aircraft,for these new super carriers, then we can poke our nose in lots of other peoples affairs,and start some more more wars !!!

maybe a few regime changes, here and there, hmmmm let me think, !!!

Admin
23rd October 2004, 11:51
Military budgets always go well over what was quoted, the problem with the Eurofighter was that between it's initial design and now, the way war is fought has changed and so they had to redesign it into a multiroll aircraft, and with these delays technology improves and has to be incorporated into the design.

The Eurofighter can only be delivered in stages, as they need to train the pilots before they take the aircraft, otherwise they end up mothballed like the Apache. It'll probably take 5-10 years to bring in the complete new fleet.

ginapeterb
23rd October 2004, 12:09
Thats very helpful information keith, thanks for that, didnt think of it that way, of course the Eurofighter Typhoon is a very delicately balanced aircraft and pilots need training on it, with those, we should have one of the most powerful air forces in the world,and they cost only 25 million each, half ofwhat the new F22 Raptor is costing the U.S. Air force.

I dont think the Super carriers will be in service for 10 years though, as we know how long things take with military procurement, Im looking forward to seeing the Joint Strike Fighter in service, cost the harriers have seen better days.

But I hear the Merlin Helicopter is now in service after 10 years of waiting.

and of course HMS Ocean is now in service,the Aassault support ship.

Things are coming together.

ginapeterb
23rd October 2004, 12:11
Thankfully we still have the 4 Trafalgar Class Submarines in service, carrying the Trident D5 Multi warheads, Ballistic Missiles, this is of course the cornestone of our defence policy, anywa, we only need 2 of those, they have enough fire power, to take out most of the Northern Hemisphere.

Admin
27th October 2004, 12:29
I'm not sure how good the Eurofighter is a low level though comparing it with the Tornado. Our guys put more man hours into that than any other country which is why we are the best. See a Tornado appear suddenly from between two valleys at 200ft is jaw dropping, and if you new it was fully loaded you know you'll be dead in seconds :)

The US only seem to pratice flying at 35000ft!!

ginapeterb
27th October 2004, 14:25
That is useful to know, I have seen the Tornado F3's flying over Norfolk in the afternoon, they do look majestic in low level that I have to admit, as they scream across the sky, I also have been passing RAF Lakenheath in the afternoon and sometimes you see the F15 Eagle coming to land in pairs, then they scream off and abort the landing, these look so huge up close, I just thought its about time the RAF get the modern Jets, they have been waiting for, The Typhoon looks so majestic in flight videos.

I was researching about the Philippine Air Force, hmmm they are still fying hand me downs from the US Air Force from the 60's but its fair to say, they can only fly what they can afford, so no one is nocking them for that.

Admin
28th October 2004, 11:51
I hope their airforce is better than their soccer team :)