PDA

View Full Version : Work.

tiN
4th February 2009, 21:29
Just a quick question, we submitted my application for ILR visa yesterday. And I remember that my manager told me that my contract will be terminated on 22nd of February,(that is when my visa expired):doh:doh

As i understand I am still eligible to work here eventhough my visa expire in 20 days time and the visa is on process? Can anyone confirm that? And for the company ive been working on, they want me to give a proof saying i am allowed, but i dont know where can i get it?:doh:NoNo::doh

thanks in advance:D

LadyJ
4th February 2009, 21:44
THat's sounds dodgy..

You can work and stay here legally while your application is in the Home Office.

SHow your ILR Note to your employer (it shows there about your status) and contact the Home Office ASAP to get an advice, they might give a letter or reference for your employer to check your status.

darren-b
4th February 2009, 21:45
Yes you allowed to work, but as you say wthout your passport you can't prove you are allowed to. You could try asking the HO for advice, but you might have to wait until you get your passport back.

tiN
4th February 2009, 21:50
THat's sounds dodgy..

You can work and stay here legally while your application is in the Home Office.

SHow your ILR Note to your employer (it shows there about your status) and contact the Home Office ASAP to get an advice, they might give a letter or reference for your employer to check your status.

Thanks Lady J, actually we phoned this afternoon to the HO just to make sure that i amstill eligible to work here, and they told me I am whilst my visa is on process, they gave me an Employer Helpline to give to the company but the company turn around and say they need a letter of confirmation from the Home Office:doh

And I remmeber that the HO this afternoon says that they are going to send me a letter after ten days, but im not sure if that will be enough to confirm that im still alowed to go back to work.:doh:doh

LadyJ
4th February 2009, 21:50
It's only one phone call for your employer to call the Home Office to check your status but you must contact H.O. first about it and get a reference number then give it to your employer.

tiN
4th February 2009, 21:54
It's only one phone call for your employer to call the Home Office to check your status but you must contact H.O. first about it and get a reference number then give it to your employer.

When we phoned this afternoon they did not give us a ref number, :Erm::Erm: Im just worried because im still on leave right now, and im not sure if my gp will release me to go back working. :NoNo::doh

LadyJ
4th February 2009, 21:59
When we phoned this afternoon they did not give us a ref number, :Erm::Erm: Im just worried because im still on leave right now, and im not sure if my gp will release me to go back working. :NoNo::doh

have you explained to the H.O. about your situation? Did they explained why they don't want to give a reference number or something else? did you ask them how or where to get a further info about proving your status to your employer?

H.O. should help you on this matter.

tiN
4th February 2009, 22:09
have you explained to the H.O. about your situation? Did they explained why they don't want to give a reference number or something else? did you ask them how or where to get a further info about proving your status to your employer?

H.O. should help you on this matter.

Yep we explained to them properly about my situation, they gave me a Employer Helpline for me to give to my work.:doh:doh

But they confirm to me that I am still allowed to work here while my visa is on process. But the company dont accept verbal agreement they want a letter from the HO. After 10 days HO told me that i will receive a letter, i think i will take it from there what will im going to do next:doh:doh

darren-b
4th February 2009, 22:15
Yep we explained to them properly about my situation, they gave me a Employer Helpline for me to give to my work.:doh:doh

But they confirm to me that I am still allowed to work here while my visa is on process. But the company dont accept verbal agreement they want a letter from the HO. After 10 days HO told me that i will receive a letter, i think i will take it from there what will im going to do next:doh:doh

I can though understand why a company might be awkward - they don't want to end up with a £10K fine.

LadyJ
4th February 2009, 22:20

That makes a lot of sense then tin:xxgrinning--00xx3:

You better tell your employer then that there's a letter for them from the H.O.:Hellooo: Hope it goes well.

joebloggs
4th February 2009, 22:35
your caught in no man's land, btw a expiring visa and waiting for the results of a new visa app :doh

even when you get your letter from the HO, i doubt it will state you have ILR, maybe only that your visa app is being processed and your allowed to work til then, but you've already said thats not good enough for your employer

why is your employer terminating your contract, it is because your visa is expiring ?

LadyJ
4th February 2009, 22:45
your caught in no man's land, btw a expiring visa and waiting for the results of a new visa app :doh

even when you get your letter from the HO, i doubt it will state you have ILR, maybe only that your visa app is being processed and your allowed to work til then, but you've already said thats not good enough for your employer

why is your employer terminating your contract, it is because your visa is expiring ?

and employer thinks there's no guarantee that she will get ILR.:Blacklistthatsucks:

joebloggs
4th February 2009, 22:55
and employer thinks there's no guarantee that she will get ILR.:Blacklistthatsucks:

that's the problem, the employer will be in :censored: if she doesn't get ILR but carries on working there. bad timing for the lady:NoNo:.

thou my misses was never asked about ILR when she worked for the NHS after her spouse visa expired :doh

in the job i started 6 months ago, i was even asked for evidence of right to work here, and the director who offered me the job i first meet near 10yrs ago :doh

Ann07
4th February 2009, 23:25
Just a quick question, we submitted my application for ILR visa yesterday. And I remember that my manager told me that my contract will be terminated on 22nd of February,(that is when my visa expired):doh:doh

As i understand I am still eligible to work here eventhough my visa expire in 20 days time and the visa is on process? Can anyone confirm that? And for the company ive been working on, they want me to give a proof saying i am allowed, but i dont know where can i get it?:doh:NoNo::doh

thanks in advance:D

My filipina workmate applied her ilr while working in our shop and our boss never says that. Let them phone the HO or give the letter from the HO about ur application for ilr as a proof. That is illegal just to terminate u like that.

I will be applying mine soon sis but still im in the shop plus will be having my maternity leave soon.

tiN
5th February 2009, 12:37
That makes a lot of sense then tin:xxgrinning--00xx3:

You better tell your employer then that there's a letter for them from the H.O.:Hellooo: Hope it goes well.

Thanks lady j:D

tiN
5th February 2009, 12:39

Yes its because my visa is expiring:doh:doh

But one of the member of HO told me that they cant terminate my contract because of that reason.:rolleyes:

I dont know i think i will wait till i get the letter..:doh

tiN
5th February 2009, 12:41
My filipina workmate applied her ilr while working in our shop and our boss never says that. Let them phone the HO or give the letter from the HO about ur application for ilr as a proof. That is illegal just to terminate u like that.

I will be applying mine soon sis but still im in the shop plus will be having my maternity leave soon.

I know sis, i think i will talk to my manager properly and explain the process that we need to get into.:doh:doh

When are you going to apply?

Ann07
5th February 2009, 18:03
I know sis, i think i will talk to my manager properly and explain the process that we need to get into.:doh:doh

When are you going to apply?

Aye just explain to them.

I will be applying later this month sis:)

DaveyWallis
5th February 2009, 18:19
Tin, how long have you been working in your job? Is it more than 12 months?

Is your contract open ended or for a fixed period?

Andy

flomike
5th February 2009, 20:44
in the job i started 6 months ago, i was even asked for evidence of right to work here, and the director who offered me the job i first meet near 10yrs ago :doh

you're right there. even when my husband got his new job with the same company they asked him the right to work here as well, the fact that he is working on the same company but in much higher position...they photocopy his passport:doh (born and bred by a british parents)

though i noticed that at work everytime we have a new people from agency Brits or non Brits my boss always asking if they have a passport or any proof of identity.

tiN
5th February 2009, 21:02
Tin, how long have you been working in your job? Is it more than 12 months?

Is your contract open ended or for a fixed period?

Andy

No, im just only 3 months old in my job :D

Ann07
5th February 2009, 21:15
No, im just only 3 months old in my job :D

Almost the same time when my pinay workmate was in the job sis and applied her ilr:D

You will be ok:xxgrinning--00xx3:

tiN
5th February 2009, 21:19
Almost the same time when my pinay workmate was in the job sis and applied her ilr:D

You will be ok:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I hope so sis:doh:D:D

DaveyWallis
5th February 2009, 21:30
No, im just only 3 months old in my job

That's a shame as your employer can dismiss you without any real justification, as long as there is no discrimination, and without going through any disciplinary procedures either.

If you had been there for over 12 months you could have taken him to Employment Tribunal if he dismissed you.

Could you go over your manager's head and hope that his boss will accept what you are saying?

Andy

Ann07
5th February 2009, 21:40
I hope so sis:doh:D:D

In our shop sis im the first foreign workers they have and second my pinay workmate.Its just a family business run by a couple and on its 4 years of running now. They are obviously new to having a foreign workers. But they never raise an issue regarding that matter or our status. Even my maternity leave:) When my workmate applied her ilr she even asked our employer to write a letter for her which she included in the application documents.

Hope so sis, but im sure u will be alright.

tiN
6th February 2009, 19:08
That's a shame as your employer can dismiss you without any real justification, as long as there is no discrimination, and without going through any disciplinary procedures either.

If you had been there for over 12 months you could have taken him to Employment Tribunal if he dismissed you.

Could you go over your manager's head and hope that his boss will accept what you are saying?

Andy

My manager has been great to me, I explained to her properly and understand me, but my employer they are asking for a proof/letter from HO that i am still legal to work here:doh:doh

tiN
6th February 2009, 19:11
In our shop sis im the first foreign workers they have and second my pinay workmate.Its just a family business run by a couple and on its 4 years of running now. They are obviously new to having a foreign workers. But they never raise an issue regarding that matter or our status. Even my maternity leave:) When my workmate applied her ilr she even asked our employer to write a letter for her which she included in the application documents.

Hope so sis, but im sure u will be alright.

Its quite a big company sis where iam employed right now.. But hey, if they will terminate me, its their lost not mine:D:D

Ann07
6th February 2009, 19:12
Its quite a big company sis where iam employed right now.. But hey, if they will terminate me, its their lost not mine:D:D

Well, you've got more chances to stay there:) they are not alien in that situation:Erm:

tiN
6th February 2009, 19:17
Well, you've got more chances to stay there:) they are not alien in that situation:Erm:

:icon_lol::icon_lol: humm not sure:D:D

Ann07
6th February 2009, 19:22
:icon_lol::icon_lol: humm not sure:D:D

If you show ur letter from HO and still they wont recognize it and you have given them the number from the HO fro inquiries also. Thats sounds :action-smiley-081::action-smiley-081: You can ask advice from ur local cab sis:Erm:

tiN
6th February 2009, 19:37
If you show ur letter from HO and still they wont recognize it and you have given them the number from the HO fro inquiries also. Thats sounds :action-smiley-081::action-smiley-081: You can ask advice from ur local cab sis:Erm:

I will do that as one member of HO told me that it is not right for them just to get rid of me:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

somebody
6th February 2009, 21:34
Fight them.

The are either worried about a fine or want to reduce the payroll and you look like a easy target.

Technically they may be able to end your contract if your visa ends, i dont know the law well enough. I presume as you would be breaking the law, they can. But your not and its unlikely your not get ILR if you and your husband are an item and have the evidence etc.
But if the home office and it maybe worth you printing off relevant parts (with the links on them of the home office/uk visas rules that you are able to stay and work untill a decision is made. Get the refrence number, and then they can ring up or dont they belive the home office?

tiN
6th February 2009, 23:17
Fight them.

The are either worried about a fine or want to reduce the payroll and you look like a easy target.

Technically they may be able to end your contract if your visa ends, i dont know the law well enough. I presume as you would be breaking the law, they can. But your not and its unlikely your not get ILR if you and your husband are an item and have the evidence etc.
But if the home office and it maybe worth you printing off relevant parts (with the links on them of the home office/uk visas rules that you are able to stay and work untill a decision is made. Get the refrence number, and then they can ring up or dont they belive the home office?

Thanks somebody, ill do that:)