PDA

View Full Version : British Embassy Manila

cheesewiz
2nd February 2009, 23:45
British Embassy Manila becomes regional hub for Visa processing

29 January 2009

The UK Border Agency has announced that the British Embassy in Manila will be the new regional hub for visa processing starting January 2009.

The Manila post will handle UK visa applications for Japan, Hong Kong and South Korea. Other regional offices may also submit its visa applications for processing later this year.

British Ambassador Peter Beckingham welcomes the new developments in the British Embassy's Manila post.

"This expansion spells a big vote of confidence in Manila as a major hub for business process outsourcing," Beckingham said.

"The development reinforces the sizeable outsourcing to the Philippines by UK companies and organisations, ranging from financial services to publishing and the media."

The embassy has announced that it is re-structuring its visa section and hiring additional staff to accommodate the expected increase in the volume of work.

Last year the embassy moved to brand new secure premises in McKinley Hill, Taguig City, and construction work is now being carried out to enlarge the office space.

Department of Foreign Affairs Secretary Alberto Romulo expressed his delight that the British Embassy is joining many other major organisations and companies in entrusting and transferring their operations to the Philippines.

aposhark
3rd February 2009, 04:57
Hope this will speed our application a little :-)

johncar54
3rd February 2009, 08:52
We got married in Manila in 2006.

We found the British Consulate was decidedly unfriendly. My fiancée had a small clutch bag and had to wait outside as 'no bags allowed' and no facility to leave the bag at reception.

This was unlike the Spanish consulate where they held the bag at reception whilst we both went in.

I had thought the British embassy would have amended their service when they moved to the new premises.

My friend, who will get married next week in Manila, had the same experience recently as his fiancée was made to wait outside.

Mrs.JMajor
3rd February 2009, 09:01
:xxgrinning--00xx3: they are just aware of terrorist :D remember Britain was one of the richest country in the whole world :action-smiley-081:

aromulus
3rd February 2009, 09:01
and construction work is now being carried out to enlarge the office space.

Hope this will speed our application a little :-)

Here is your answer mate.......:omg:

johncar54
3rd February 2009, 09:17
:xxgrinning--00xx3: they are just aware of terrorist :D remember Britain was one of the richest country in the whole world :action-smiley-081:

Spain also has a serious terrorist problem and unlike UK also have a nationalistic group based in Spain.

As a former senior UK police office, not providing a facility to hold a hand bag at reception, has nothing to do with security.

Likewise, the unfriendly approach of the staff is inexcusable, particularly as it must often leave Filipino citizens waiting outside.

When I visited I had a document case with a pile of papers and that was allowed in. My fiancée with a very small clutch bag (with time of the month necessities) as I said was made to wait outside.

Mrs.JMajor
3rd February 2009, 09:24
Apology for your rant in our country sir :D

aromulus
3rd February 2009, 10:12
I believe that the American Embassy has even stricter rules for visitors in any department.:omg:

And interviews to visa applicants are mandatory.:NoNo:

As far as I know, having it read on some part of the Embassy website, only one person is allowed in per application.
Also at VFS the same rule applies. I know this bit, because fortunately my wife was wise enough to go there with an auntie and she kept hold of the handbag, cellphone and things.

As a retired police officer you should know that no visitors can walk straight through the police station reception desk.... Same story at the Embassy....

bornatbirth
3rd February 2009, 11:03
Spain also has a serious terrorist problem and unlike UK also have a nationalistic group based in Spain.

As a former senior UK police office, not providing a facility to hold a hand bag at reception, has nothing to do with security.

Likewise, the unfriendly approach of the staff is inexcusable, particularly as it must often leave Filipino citizens waiting outside.

When I visited I had a document case with a pile of papers and that was allowed in. My fiancée with a very small clutch bag (with time of the month necessities) as I said was made to wait outside.

i once made delivery to the mighty houses of parliment and was made to empty all my pockets i was in full motorbike gear,take off my radio and my money bag and was left with the clothes on my back and could only take them when i left.....makes you wonder why :Erm:

aposhark
4th February 2009, 05:48
Here is your answer mate.......:omg:

I was hoping that they would be employing and training more peeps and confining them to areas away from the construction. :rolleyes:

I delude myself regularly :icon_lol: :NoNo::doh

johncar54
4th February 2009, 07:46
We found the British Consulate was decidedly unfriendly. My fiancée had a small clutch bag and had to wait outside as 'no bags allowed' and no facility to leave the bag at reception.

Sorry guys, maybe I did not it clear.

I did not comment on the level of security required, body searches etc.

Just that it was 'unfortunate' that a Filipino Fiancée is obliged to wait outside just because she had a tiny bag containing a tampon and a couple of tissues.

With the charges the embassy make, which compared with Spain are extortionate (example: Schengen (spouse) Visa was 30 euros in 2006) I don't think I am being unreasonable in expecting the British Embassy to provide a method where a person can leave a small bag at the reception, of course after having searched it, xrayed it etc !!!!

Fitzy
5th February 2009, 14:40
Is also indicative of the embassy in Lima Peru.
They abuse their position, because they know that they can deny your Visa for whatever reason!!
Well, is how I feel about these people!!!
Saying that, we did find some of them friendly, lol

joebloggs
5th February 2009, 20:29
[B]
"This expansion spells a big vote of confidence in Manila as a major hub for business process outsourcing," Beckingham said.

:icon_lol: making most people wait more than 10wks :action-smiley-081: and charge you £500+ :action-smiley-081:

great service :Brick:

will this make any difference ? will they process the jap ones first ? and brits last :Erm:

time will tell, but good news is a rare thing from any gov :ARsurrender: so i doubt it :Help1:

Fitzy
5th February 2009, 20:44
Ohhhh dear :-((

I am planning to marry my girl in Cagayan De Oro, then travel to Manila for her Spouse Visa.
I was assuming that I could get it straight away, and bring my new Wife home???

Oh well, what can you do huh:Erm:

Ady
5th February 2009, 21:02
:icon_lol: making most people wait more than 10wks :action-smiley-081: and charge you £500+ :action-smiley-081:

great service :Brick:

will this make any difference ? will they process the jap ones first ? and brits last :Erm:

time will tell, but good news is a rare thing from any gov :ARsurrender: so i doubt it :Help1:

I searched for fiancee visas in Google, and got sites from all around the world. Some say they get a fiancee visa approved inside 2 weeks! I thought everyone had to wait 12 weeks haha. With even more applications to deal with, maybe that will lengthen the processing time. :Erm:

Ady
5th February 2009, 21:05
Ohhhh dear :-((

I am planning to marry my girl in Cagayan De Oro, then travel to Manila for her Spouse Visa.
I was assuming that I could get it straight away, and bring my new Wife home???

Oh well, what can you do huh:Erm:

I think most applications take 12-14 weeks for Spouse/Fiancee. Remember Business/Work/Visit visas take precedence. And now, they have all the HK and Japanese people joining the queue too. Most will be applying for Business/Visit visas from these places. So, I can only see waiting times growing :-(

But, with Manila's penchant of refusing Visit Visas, the British Economy will suffer even further as the Japanese tourist is made extinct! Sorry for the sarcasm...

flomike
5th February 2009, 21:15
We got married in Manila in 2006.

This was unlike the Spanish consulate where they held the bag at reception whilst we both went in.

I had thought the British embassy would have amended their service when they moved to the new premises.

My friend, who will get married next week in Manila, had the same experience recently as his fiancée was made to wait outside.

during my time they let you inside the embassy if you have an ID since I don't bring my ID with me Im not allowed to get in so its my fiancee now my husband went it to get the application. When the embassy ring me for interview they emphasis on the letter that no bags, no cellphone and all the documents should be in a clear envelope.

joebloggs
5th February 2009, 21:15
I searched for fiancee visas in Google, and got sites from all around the world. Some say they get a fiancee visa approved inside 2 weeks! I thought everyone had to wait 12 weeks haha. With even more applications to deal with, maybe that will lengthen the processing time. :Erm:

part of it depends on the country and how many visa apps they get, like the 2 Libyans i use to work with, they both got their wife a spouse visa in a few days :doh

so much for the :censored: excuse the British embassy use in Manila, that they are doing local/police checks, does it take 10wks and only a day in Libya, Libyans are one of a few countries that are on a gov watch list, and with their links to terrorism in the past you would have thought they do extensive checks :icon_lol:

you've just got laugh at this visa game :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ady
5th February 2009, 21:22
part of it depends on the country and how many visa apps they get, like the 2 Libyans i use to work with, they both got their wife a spouse visa in a few days :doh

so much for the :censored: excuse the British embassy use in Manila, that they are doing local/police checks, does it take 10wks and only a day in Libya, Libyans are one of a few countries that are on a gov watch list, and with their links to terrorism in the past you would have thought they do extensive checks :icon_lol:

What sorts of checks do they do in Manila? I know that, in our case, we submitted the police checks (CBI is it? I forgot the 3 letters!). I am always curious about the processes ECOs use. Some say that ECOs look for reasons to accept - but it seems the opposite in Manila. Or am I being cynical? Are they more stringent in Manila than, say, in Libya or Russia? Maybe, because Manila has a higher rate of rejections apparently, that is why they were chosen to deal with HK, Jap and SK too.

flomike
5th February 2009, 21:24

the filipino linemen who works in carillion (work visa permit) when they get their dependant most of them only takes 15 days to get their family and the fastest one is just 3 days....for visa dependant the maximum according to them is 15 days so why for spouse of brits need to wait weeks and weeks i don't understand that, assuming its the same proof of evidence to submit:Erm:

Fitzy
5th February 2009, 21:41
I think most applications take 12-14 weeks for Spouse/Fiancee. Remember Business/Work/Visit visas take precedence. And now, they have all the HK and Japanese people joining the queue too. Most will be applying for Business/Visit visas from these places. So, I can only see waiting times growing :-(

But, with Manila's penchant of refusing Visit Visas, the British Economy will suffer even further as the Japanese tourist is made extinct! Sorry for the sarcasm...

Is ok Ady.

I need to be more patient anyway, lol
Suppose I will go home, as annual leave constraints from work apply!!
As soon as she gets her Visa, I can send her an airline E ticket:D

Thanks for the insight:)