View Full Version : Filipino Mannerism And Personality Traits

cheesewiz
28th January 2009, 22:27
MANNERISM AND PERSONALITY TRAITS

You point with your lips
You eat with your hand and have it down as a technique
Your other piece of luggage is a "Balikbayan Box"
You nod your head upwards to greet someone
You put your foot up on your chair and rest your elbows on your knees while you eat
You use a rock to scrub yourself in the shower
You kiss relatives on the cheek when you enter the room
You're standing next to eight big boxes at the airport
You collect items from hotels or restaurants as "souvenirs"
Your house has a distinctive aroma
You smile for no reason
You flirt by having a foolish grin on your face while raising your eyebrows repeatedly
You go to department stores and try bargain with the price
You scratch your head when you don't know the answer
You never eat the last morsel of food on the table
You go bowling
You play pusoy or mahjong
You prefer to sit in the shade instead of basking in the sun
You add an unwarranted 'H' to your name: Jhun, Bhoy, Rhon
You put your hands together in front of you as if to make a path and say "Excuse, Excuse" when you pass in between people or in front of the TV
Your middle name is your mom's maiden name
You like everything that is imported or 'stateside'
Your perfectly comfortable in a squatting position with your elbows resting on your knees
You consistently arrive 30 minutes late for events
You always offer food to your visitors
You put your arm on the other person's shoulder if he or she is a close friend of yours
You draw a rectangle in the air when asking for the bill, which never fails to baffle the restaurant staff
You don't sit on the bowl in public toilets, no matter what part of town or if your thighs ache like hell; and you flush the toilet with your feet
You think 'tuck out' is the opposite of 'tuck in'
You tell everyone you meet where you studied and the intricacies of your family tree-just to show them you come from good stock - it never occurs to you that people may not have heard of your university or your clan's last name
You show up late for work and your excuse is 'I forgot to on the alarm' or better yet 'traffic eh'
You linger over the Tonite and Balita tabloids available at the Star Ferry, but quickly buy the Asian Wall Street Journal when other Filipinos start browsing
Brushing your teeth after lunch in the office lavatory is an unbreakable habit, even if your colleagues can't bear touching the taps after you've drooled and spat all over them
Namedropping is your favorite sport when you meet up with new acquaintances from back home
Toni Braxton, Basia and Swing Out Sister are your idea of party music, you hardly listen to anything else
You sell Amway and Herbalife as sideline
You fight noisily with Cathay Pacific check-in staff over the size of handcarried luggage-which could be anything from oversized suitcases to major appliances
You underdeclare your income when you pay Phil tax, even if it's peculiar that a consultant is paid little more than a domestic helper's wages
At Immigration, when they call out 'Maria', you and 46 other women stand up
When they play 'Anak' anywhere, your chest swells with pride and say 'that's Filipino'
You think taking a shower and taking a bath are the same thing
You use shopping bags as garbage bags
You use laundry detergent to wash your dishes
You use print rags from an imported fashion magazine as cover of your textbooks and notebooks
You enjoy watching Pinoy action films with the same plot: Hero and villain are mortal enemies. Hero's family's killed by villain. Hero seeks revenge. Hero meets bar girl with sad tale of past love. She comes from a poor family, that's why she's working in the bar. They fall in love. Villain kidnaps girl, threatens to kill her if hero won't stop harassing him and his henchmen. Hero rescues girl, they run away. Chase goes on in a dilapidated car. Hero finally kills villain and police arrive. Hero and girl live happily ever after.

chris40
29th January 2009, 00:31
this was fun to read because so many things i read reminded me of my wife.
she has her mums maiden name as her middle name. we used shopping bags as garbage bags and washing powder to clean dishes.
but the funniest thing for me was i know i have a stolen shot of my wife eating rice and fish with her hands. so i checked her eating position and surprise surprise she is sitting with her foot on her chair and resting her elbows while eating.
another trait of my wifes was for me to say something to her and i would ask her if she undertood ,she would then nod her head as if to say yes.
being sceptical i would then ask her what i meant, then she would laugh and admit she was embaressed to admit she did,nt undertstand a word i said.

rusty
29th January 2009, 06:27

You draw a rectangle in the air when asking for the bill, which never fails to baffle the restaurant staff

:Erm: :Erm:

Alan
29th January 2009, 11:04
Excellent! Very funny, thanks!

Just a couple from me:-

A car door is not for getting in or out - it is for spitting!

AND - the ever popular, 'For a while!'

Al.:)

tiN
29th January 2009, 12:15

You point with your lips
You eat with your hand and have it down as a technique
Your other piece of luggage is a "Balikbayan Box"
You nod your head upwards to greet someone
You put your foot up on your chair and rest your elbows on your knees while you eat
You use a rock to scrub yourself in the shower
You kiss relatives on the cheek when you enter the room
You're standing next to eight big boxes at the airport
You collect items from hotels or restaurants as "souvenirs"
Your house has a distinctive aroma
You smile for no reason
You flirt by having a foolish grin on your face while raising your eyebrows repeatedly
You go to department stores and try bargain with the price
You scratch your head when you don't know the answer
You never eat the last morsel of food on the table
You go bowling
You play pusoy or mahjong
You prefer to sit in the shade instead of basking in the sun
You add an unwarranted 'H' to your name: Jhun, Bhoy, Rhon
You put your hands together in front of you as if to make a path and say "Excuse, Excuse" when you pass in between people or in front of the TV
Your middle name is your mom's maiden name
You like everything that is imported or 'stateside'
Your perfectly comfortable in a squatting position with your elbows resting on your knees
You consistently arrive 30 minutes late for events
You always offer food to your visitors
You put your arm on the other person's shoulder if he or she is a close friend of yours
You don't sit on the bowl in public toilets, no matter what part of town or if your thighs ache like hell; and you flush the toilet with your feet
You think 'tuck out' is the opposite of 'tuck in'
You tell everyone you meet where you studied and the intricacies of your family tree-just to show them you come from good stock - it never occurs to you that people may not have heard of your university or your clan's last name
You show up late for work and your excuse is 'I forgot to on the alarm' or better yet 'traffic eh'
You linger over the Tonite and Balita tabloids available at the Star Ferry, but quickly buy the Asian Wall Street Journal when other Filipinos start browsing
Brushing your teeth after lunch in the office lavatory is an unbreakable habit, even if your colleagues can't bear touching the taps after you've drooled and spat all over them
Namedropping is your favorite sport when you meet up with new acquaintances from back home
Toni Braxton, Basia and Swing Out Sister are your idea of party music, you hardly listen to anything else
You sell Amway and Herbalife as sideline
You fight noisily with Cathay Pacific check-in staff over the size of handcarried luggage-which could be anything from oversized suitcases to major appliances
You underdeclare your income when you pay Phil tax, even if it's peculiar that a consultant is paid little more than a domestic helper's wages
At Immigration, when they call out 'Maria', you and 46 other women stand up
When they play 'Anak' anywhere, your chest swells with pride and say 'that's Filipino'
You think taking a shower and taking a bath are the same thing
You use shopping bags as garbage bags
You use laundry detergent to wash your dishes
You use print rags from an imported fashion magazine as cover of your textbooks and notebooks
You enjoy watching Pinoy action films with the same plot: Hero and villain are mortal enemies. Hero's family's killed by villain. Hero seeks revenge. Hero meets bar girl with sad tale of past love. She comes from a poor family, that's why she's working in the bar. They fall in love. Villain kidnaps girl, threatens to kill her if hero won't stop harassing him and his henchmen. Hero rescues girl, they run away. Chase goes on in a dilapidated car. Hero finally kills villain and police arrive. Hero and girl live happily ever after.

As a Filipina,,:iagree::icon_lol::icon_lol::Cuckoo::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Sconnie
29th January 2009, 14:02
Very funny I think we can all relate to most of these.

"a while ago"

raising one eyebrow to mean "really"
raising both to say "yes"

LadyJ
29th January 2009, 14:14
Very funny.. I agree though. lol.

ANDRES25
29th January 2009, 18:10
me too!!!!!!!!!!

PeterB
30th January 2009, 16:42
"Last time" means "at sometime in the past".

... and why do Filipinos always "go ahead" when they leave?

acs
1st February 2009, 11:39
:icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3: i agree too.