PDA

View Full Version : Debit Card

Alan
25th January 2009, 02:47
Happy Sunday everyone!

Can anyone help please?

Last September, my Nationwide Debit Card expired and they, in their infinite wisdom, said that they would not post my new one to me over here. Their explanation was that they do not post anything to Asia! Oh well!

Anyroadup! There are one or two items that I would like to buy online but, of course, having no debit card means that this is not possible.

Does anybody know if I can get a debit card over here in Cebu?

I have a BDO savings account but it is in Hanna's name and I still have a couple of thousand squiddlies in my Nationwide account, but no way to access it.

Thank you in advance for all your offers of money...........ooops! - sorry - advice!

May all your oxen bear fruit!

Al.:)

fred
25th January 2009, 06:14
Not sure Alan..We use credit cards here as there are lots of 12 month 0% interest free items for sale in the malls here..
I would have had trouble getting them though had I not had my residence card when I applied .
I had a really bad time in the UK getting the Nationwide to even deliver my card there in the UK and when we got here the damned thing wouldn't work in the machines here anyway.
Cant you have it sent to an address in the UK and then sent here via registered mail?
Thats what we do when we need that kind of thing..
Regards,
Fred.

walesrob
25th January 2009, 08:59
Teacher,

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=7150&highlight=HSBC

Have you not tried HSBC in Cebu? I opened a Classic account in 2007 no problem at all, even though I am not a resident (yet!). I'm pretty sure you can get a credit card from them, subject of course to a maintaining balance (e.g. if you want a credit card with a Php 100,000 limit you need to open a time deposit account of Php125,000, quite common in Asian countries)

Paulboy
25th January 2009, 17:40
"I had a really bad time in the UK getting the Nationwide to even deliver my card there in the UK and when we got here the damned thing wouldn't work in the machines here anyway."

I'm just about to apply for a nationwide debit card - does it not work in philippines? Maybe I should'nt bother!

Paulboy
25th January 2009, 17:44
Does the nationwide debit card not work in phils?

Bluebirdjones
25th January 2009, 19:08
Have u tried PNB ?

Open a Global Filipino account.
You get a debit card.
Then transfer money (from Nationwide) to the Global Filipino account.

(I opened one at the PNB office in London, which I realise that you cannot do, but I assume that other PNB offices will offer this service)

Scouse
26th January 2009, 21:29
Yes, Nationwide debit card does work in the Philippines. JUst let them know you will be using it there.

I let them know and they still blocked it after the first use! Had to ring them to get them to unblock it.

When getting the numbers they normally only give 0845/0870 which cost a fortune. Go to saynoto0870.com this ill give you geographic numbers which are a lot cheaper.

Eljohno
26th January 2009, 23:39

It works and Nationwide do not charge you for using it abroad..

If you are going for quite a long trip and do not tell them they sometimes think that its being used fraudulently and can temp. cancel it so its best to let them know..

David House
27th January 2009, 01:21
Al,

My Nationwide works just fine here, although I had to call them a couple of times to unblock it when I was considered to be using it too heavily. (hospital bills!)
Connie has an account too and I had to arrange to have a replacement card sent here, as hers was defective. Their error! They mailed to my UK address and I arranged a courier transfer here. I booked it online and my "post collector" in the UK did the rest. An A4 size envelope stuffed full costs £20 and took 2 days to reach me here. May be cheaper than opening a local account. I can give you the details of who I used if you like.

PeterB
27th January 2009, 05:37

Yes, the N/W debit card does work well in Phils ... but you may find that they block it because of 'unusual pattern of use'. A quick(?) phone call sorts this out.

The last time it happened, I was told that it was blocked because of a number of transactions being carried out in Phils. I said "Look at my address and then tell me where you would expect my card to be used!"