PDA

View Full Version : Balikbayan box.... At long last.....

aromulus
23rd January 2009, 09:08
Well, after a long time of tripping over the bloody things, someone from Forex Cargo is actually coming today to collect them and take them away.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Towards the end of October we went to get a couple of boxes from Rhyl (bogoff offer), from the local agent, and the mrs has been busy stuffing them ever since.:omg:

On one dreadful occasion, after me lavishing yard upon yard of packing tape all over the largest of the two, Jet decided that, although it was already stuffed to the seams, it wasn't enough. So she opened it again, and managed to cram even more items inside.:doh
Needless to say, it is more round than square now.....:omg:
She has been visiting the sales, poundshop, tesco and a miriad of other outlets to buy what she thought was needed over there.:NoNo:
I put my foot down with a firm hand at the kitchen sink.:rolleyes:
Enough is enough.
In the smaller box.... Belt Sander with enough spare belts to make the Eiffel Tower shine, drill and all the bits to go with it, jigsaw and saw blades, Sweets galore, Chocolate, Shampoo, conditioner, Kitchen knives, and unfortunately cannot remember what else.....:NoNo:
In the larger box......... I better don't start on that one, but there are at least 15 pairs of shoes and branded trainers of all sizes and baby clothes....:NoNo:

A few more hours and I will have the chance to watch a couple of Pinoy struggle to carry the things away and into the uncharted unknown....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ah, bliss, soon I will be able to walk barefoot into the spare bedroom without stubbing my toenails again....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Alan
23rd January 2009, 09:29
Oh Dom!

Can you open them again please? There are a few things that I would like!

:xxparty-smiley-004:

Al.:)

maria_and_matt
23rd January 2009, 09:39
awwwww,the joys of being married to a filipina, you got to love it!

aromulus
23rd January 2009, 11:07
It's gone..............:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Earlier than I thought and also a tenner cheaper....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

2 (1 large 1 medium) boxes for £110.... Door to door, all the way to Cebu.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

That's a result........:D

john sergison
23rd January 2009, 11:12
hello aromulus

when you send the balikbayan box do you not get hit with any taxes in the philippines because of what is in the boxes, or is it pot luck

john

aromulus
23rd January 2009, 11:21
hello aromulus

when you send the balikbayan box do you not get hit with any taxes in the philippines because of what is in the boxes, or is it pot luck

john

Haven't got the foggiest, really.:NoNo:

We will cross that bridge when we get to it...

I am half expecting a distress email from the family saying that they can't get hold of the boxes for some imaginary tax or the other....:doh
Which I believe it is the norm.:Brick:

georyz
23rd January 2009, 12:29
we had our 1st balikbayan box sent last mid october with printer, 3 mobile phones, children scooters and other personal stuffs inside and luckily they got it last december just before xmas without paying any tax just a picture taking though to prove they got it.

darren-b
23rd January 2009, 13:16
We've successfully sent two and there was no tax to pay on them. Our third one is somewhere on route, hopefully there will be no tax to pay when it finally arrives.

IainBusby
23rd January 2009, 13:59
We've successfully sent two and there was no tax to pay on them. Our third one is somewhere on route, hopefully there will be no tax to pay when it finally arrives.

I was told by an ex-pat over there that if you wanted to avoid them being opened and checked for taxable items, that you should label the box as personal effects. I think the theory behind it is that they assume it's the personal effects of someone who has died that are being returned to his or her relatives.
Iain.

Ann07
23rd January 2009, 14:57
Oh Dom!

Can you open them again please? There are a few things that I would like!

:xxparty-smiley-004:

Al.:)

:icon_lol::icon_lol:

somebody
23rd January 2009, 20:49
So i guess you start on the next one now?

aromulus
23rd January 2009, 20:51
So i guess you start on the next one now?

There are more chances for a cabbage to jump up and bite you in the bum :butthead:, than me starting to get another balikbayan box ready..........:D

reginacarlson
23rd January 2009, 21:08
I sent 2 balikbayan boxes last year before my husband (fiance at that time) and I went back to the Philippines to get married. We were charged around P4,000 for custom taxes! :cwm23:

1 box was full of wooden roses (1,050 pieces) that we made as souvenirs for the wedding, along with a bunch of wedding magazines etc and the other box was just an assortment of used and new clothes, shoes, books, bags and other stuff.

We ended up paying it as there was no other choice. :Brick:

flomike
23rd January 2009, 23:19
hello aromulus

john

as far as know there's no taxes for balikbayan box or else no filipinos will ever send one. the only thing about sending balikbayan box is more prayers that it will arrive safe and intact. just incase it get lost that's it you can't do anything about it sad to say bec there's no insurance just trust.

the person who runs the business (balikbayan box) said to me that i only need to put £200 worth in the box and ask me to declare what's inside to avoid paying taxes...

joebloggs
24th January 2009, 00:26
i've just sent 3 medium boxes to the phils, i'm wondering if they will ever get there :rolleyes:

hmm taxes :NoNo:

somebody
24th January 2009, 03:53
There are more chances for a cabbage to jump up and bite you in the bum :butthead:, than me starting to get another balikbayan box ready..........:D

Sp whats the best way to treat cabbage bites:Erm::D

pennybarry
24th January 2009, 07:18
Well, after a long time of tripping over the bloody things, someone from Forex Cargo is actually coming today to collect them and take them away.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Towards the end of October we went to get a couple of boxes from Rhyl (bogoff offer), from the local agent, and the mrs has been busy stuffing them ever since.:omg:

On one dreadful occasion, after me lavishing yard upon yard of packing tape all over the largest of the two, Jet decided that, although it was already stuffed to the seams, it wasn't enough. So she opened it again, and managed to cram even more items inside.:doh
She has been visiting the sales, poundshop, tesco and a miriad of other outlets to buy what she thought was needed over there.:NoNo:
Enough is enough.
In the smaller box.... Belt Sander with enough spare belts to make the Eiffel Tower shine, drill and all the bits to go with it, jigsaw and saw blades, Sweets galore, Chocolate, Shampoo, conditioner, Kitchen knives, and unfortunately cannot remember what else.....:NoNo:
In the larger box......... I better don't start on that one, but there are at least 15 pairs of shoes and branded trainers of all sizes and baby clothes....:NoNo:

A few more hours and I will have the chance to watch a couple of Pinoy struggle to carry the things away and into the uncharted unknown....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ah, bliss, soon I will be able to walk barefoot into the spare bedroom without stubbing my toenails again....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

That's cool:) Your made her happy. I sent mine last year but it took 2 months to deliver:doh.They said it will only take 1 month. I'll try another 2 boxes from another agent today. We'll go to filipino store in Newcastle today and pick-up the empty box. Anybody here from Newcastle who experienced good shipment of your cargo box? How long and what agent? :) need to send it over asap as I hubby already had my 2 round cans of chocolates. :Brick:

Frances
24th January 2009, 13:13
hello
Does anyone know of a balikbayan agent in Taunton area?
Thanks

Jay&Zobel
24th January 2009, 13:33
Can they be insured?

reginacarlson
24th January 2009, 16:08
Try parceldropdotcodotuk, they're quite cheap and it's quicker than sending your balikbayan boxes via cargo ship which almost always takes 1-2 months. That is, if you're in a rush to get your boxes in the Philippines. Personally, I prefer to pay a little bit more with the knowledge that my box will arrive in just a week rather than worrying about it for over a month.

pennybarry
24th January 2009, 16:12
Try parceldropdotcodotuk, they're quite cheap and it's quicker than sending your balikbayan boxes via cargo ship which almost always takes 1-2 months. That is, if you're in a rush to get your boxes in the Philippines. Personally, I prefer to pay a little bit more with the knowledge that my box will arrive in just a week rather than worrying about it for over a month.

Been to Newcastle this morning, Georgia filipino/Oriental store and they offers Vicky cargos. Will try this one. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
25th January 2009, 07:29
Dont worry about taxes..Never paid any and always had boxes arrive unopened..
I think the Gov ordered a swift passage through customs for BB boxes to keep OFW`s sweet.
Good move sticking in the belt sander though Dom.. Cant get one here for love nor money..
Tell them I want to borrow it when they've finished with it.

darren-b
25th January 2009, 08:37

What size and weight boxes do you send? And how much do you pay?

reginacarlson
25th January 2009, 23:20
What size and weight boxes do you send? And how much do you pay?

I sent 2 tea-chest/large cardboard boxes sized 18" x 18" x 24" (L x W x H). 1 was weighing 30 kilos and 1 was 27 kilos. I paid around £125 per box for a door to door (to Manila) expedited delivery within 5-7 working days.

I know it's expensive but at least it got there in a week, saved me from worrying for over a month or two about my boxes being lost at sea.

flomike
25th January 2009, 23:30
I sent 2 tea-chest/large cardboard boxes sized 18" x 18" x 24" (L x W x H). 1 was weighing 30 kilos and 1 was 27 kilos. I paid around £125 per box for a door to door (to Manila) expedited delivery within 5-7 working days.

I know it's expensive but at least it got there in a week, saved me from worrying for over a month or two about my boxes being lost at sea.

i see. so its not a typical balikbayan box then.

anyway, its nice to send one actually knowing that our family really excited waiting for it specially opening it:Rasp: what they don;t know is most of the things inside is from NETTO, ALDI and LID'L.:D but of course a few branded things from Sports Direct:Cuckoo: bec they sell really cheap branded products and I love it.

joebloggs
25th January 2009, 23:56

i've just sent 3 boxes the same size and it cost £100 for all 3 boxes(xmas offer), door to door (manchester to puerto princessa) , going by ship and it should take 4wks. i'm not paying £275 more just so it gets there in 5-7 working days :NoNo:

i've got more important things to use the money for :doh read my other post

darren-b
26th January 2009, 07:14

That's very expensive. Got a quote from parceldrop's website and it worked out at about 3 times the price we pay (our boxes are a lot larger/heavier...).

miayela
26th January 2009, 14:59
Hi aromalus since your talking about the balikbayan box i wanted to send some of my personal stuff using balikbayan box from philippines goin to UK but i wanna know if anybody of you know were i can get a cheap price for sending my package....

reginacarlson
26th January 2009, 20:20
That's very expensive. Got a quote from parceldrop's website and it worked out at about 3 times the price we pay (our boxes are a lot larger/heavier...).

I sent my boxes almost 9 months ago so prices has obviously gone up and I think it's way more expensive if you're sending more than 30 kilograms per box.

davelife
16th February 2009, 19:43
hi
joe the price you got looks good... who did you use please?
cheers
dave
:ARsurrender:

joebloggs
17th February 2009, 00:03
hi
joe the price you got looks good... who did you use please?
cheers
dave
:ARsurrender:

the price was an xmas offer, 3 for the price of 2, its been nearly 4wks since they picked the boxes up, so hopefully the misses family will have them in a week or 2, i hope :rolleyes:

but the company who picked the boxes up were called 'mendieta cargo forwarders' of newcastle upon tyne, phone number 0191 265 1302 and they have an office in manila, some maybe they do the phils to the uk to :Erm:

can't vouch for them yet thou, lets see if the misses family gets the boxes within the next 2wks, was told it be 4-6wks ..

thou someone has used them b4 on here..

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=4255

pennybarry
17th February 2009, 07:39
the price was an xmas offer, 3 for the price of 2, its been nearly 4wks since they picked the boxes up, so hopefully the misses family will have them in a week or 2, i hope :rolleyes:

but the company who picked the boxes up were called 'mendieta cargo forwarders' of newcastle upon tyne, phone number 0191 265 1302 and they have an office in manila, some maybe they do the phils to the uk to :Erm:

can't vouch for them yet thou, lets see if the misses family gets the boxes within the next 2wks, was told it be 4-6wks ..

thou someone has used them b4 on here..

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=4255

That's great Joe. I have been to Newcastle Filipino store and was offered Vicky's cargo. After I sorted all stuffed into my box and called them for pick-up, the office said they will send the box by May and will be delivered by July:Brick:.
So, I am planning to call Emma's store in Edinburgh and got Mendieta's number too.
Thanks for the info:xxgrinning--00xx3:

john sergison
18th February 2009, 10:30
hi joe bloggs

i am not far from the northern capital, who did you use for your balikbiyan boxs.
they seem to do a good service

regards

john sergison

john sergison
18th February 2009, 10:33
sorry joe

just saw your reply on next page.

doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

regards
john

joebloggs
18th February 2009, 22:10
hi joe bloggs

i am not far from the northern capital, who did you use for your balikbiyan boxs.
they seem to do a good service

regards

john sergison

they were the ones who turned up to collect the boxes, but me misses arranged it thru the filipino shop in the indoor market in eccles..

also she phoned them up to day , and they said it should be there 1st week of march, so we will wait and see :rolleyes:

johndoe
27th February 2009, 02:45
Hello!

There's a convenient way of sending goods to the Philippines. Just click on LINK REMOVED. (http://filipinaroses.com/showpost.php?p=84520&postcount=3) There are a lot of items available to choose from.
Come and check it out! Delivery available anywhere in the Philippines.

empott
27th February 2009, 16:38
Uh-oh! Link on 2nd post? :doh

trader dave
9th March 2009, 06:23
have send many with ex pilipina wife[not in the box the ex i mean ] but that would have been a good idea over 10 years never paid any tax though

aromulus
6th April 2009, 18:11
Better than I thought ...........:Erm:

The boxes were delivered yesterday afternoon, sometime, Sunday the 5th of April.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

They were in perfect condition and no customs charges at all, which is a result.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Jet found out by chance when she logged on her friendster account and found a message of thank you from "our" daughter.:D
She waited patiently until about 10.30 here, 5.30 am local time and then I was summoned to phone the family to tell them to get their :butthead::butthead::butthead: online.... (Funny that.... It is always my mobile that it is used for international calls, however short....:Erm:)
Within minutes they started nattering away full blast, with cam on and bells and whistles, and that went on until 2.30 am......:omg:

Looking at the grateful, happy and smiling faces made it all worthwhile.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

We will try to send another, just timed to arrive shortly before Christmas.

LEAHnew
7th April 2009, 08:00
:xxgrinning--00xx3:Glad to hear that Kuya Dom:Hellooo::Hellooo:
You and ate Jet are very thoughtful and kind.:xxgrinning--00xx3::cwm38:

Leah:)

rj.uk
4th July 2009, 13:57
I'm new to the site and have read all your posts re balikbayan boxes. Does anyone know of a company close to Bangor, North Wales? Will travel up to Chester if need be. Thanks

rj.uk
13th July 2009, 20:51

Enough is enough.

Hello Aromulus

Found this email after trawling long and hard re balikbayan boxes. Picked your thread because you are from North Wales. I live in Anglesey and am interested in sending a balikbayan box to family back in the 'Pines. Do you have a company that you can recommend please?
RJ

aromulus
14th July 2009, 19:21
Hello Aromulus

Found this email after trawling long and hard re balikbayan boxes. Picked your thread because you are from North Wales. I live in Anglesey and am interested in sending a balikbayan box to family back in the 'Pines. Do you have a company that you can recommend please?
RJ

Yes, the agent is in Rhyl and you would have to pick the empties yourself.

Give me a day to get the phone number and the address of the agent.
The boxes will be picked up from your place when ever ready.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

vbkelly
16th July 2009, 11:56
MENDIETA CARGO FORWARDERS tel.number 01912244909 and 07917181729 looks for jose and noralyn they are filipino free box and free collection. i send 2jumbo boxes with 2 free regular boxes this end of the month for £220

jimeve
16th July 2009, 19:39

Enough is enough.

Blimey, that was a long wait.:

lizaphil
16th July 2009, 20:50
well i am also been sending boxes since last year i don't have any problem last December,i send 3 box medium size,only 1 months to wait and by jan my family got it, and no tax on it
but this time i send again 3 boxes last may, and they said im ganna wait for 3months its my fault really because i change the company,because is quiet expensive so im looking for a bit cheaper so now all my family waiting.well there saying you only get what you pay for...

mtz94
20th August 2009, 15:35
Would anyone know any reliable door-t0-door forwarder from newcastle or anywhere near? (apart from mendietta cargo)

im a student from durham university and i need to ship my things in the next few days.

any and all suggestions would be much appreciated...

maraming salamat...

mtz94
20th August 2009, 15:42
Hello to all,

Would anybody be kind enough to recommend reliable door-to-door forwarders from Newcastle or anywhere near Durham? I am student from Durham University and I'm about to go back to Manila...

Nahihirapan akong humanap ng shipping agency kasi ako lang yata ang pinoy dito sa durham uni. i already know of mendietta cargo but i would appreciate other suggestions.

kelangan ko na kasing ipadala ung mga gamit ko in the next few days...

salamat sa tulong...

omar

mtz94
20th August 2009, 15:43
Hello to all,

Would anybody be kind enough to recommend reliable door-to-door forwarders from Newcastle or anywhere near Durham? I am student from Durham University and I'm about to go back to Manila...

Nahihirapan akong humanap ng shipping agency kasi ako lang yata ang pinoy dito sa durham uni. i already know of mendietta cargo but i would appreciate other suggestions.

kelangan ko na kasing ipadala ung mga gamit ko in the next few days...

salamat sa tulong... you can email me at:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
di ko pa po alam gamitin itong site kaya mas mabuti siguro if u email me.

omar

mtz94
20th August 2009, 15:52
Anyone who knows of a reliable door-to-door forwarder in newcastle or anywhere near durham?

would appreciate it if u can email me the contact details to xxxxxxxxxxxxx
maraming salamat...

belfast_dude
20th August 2009, 20:21
is there any balikbayan collecting companies in belfast or northern ireland....i do not know of any...and it wud be a nice surprise to send something over to my maganda asawa.......thankz in advance

singkit
23rd August 2009, 14:53
How about in Leeds? Please? Anyone who knows a reliable Balikbayan Box forwarders here in Leeds or Pudsey? Thanks very much!

slaterlp
28th October 2009, 02:39
How about the other way round?

What is the best way and how much does it cost to send boxes TO the UK FROM the Philippines?

I am told sea freight is the way, but although the actual charges are pretty cheap, once my stuff is arrived in the UK, there seem to be very expensive charges added in the UK. And these are not taxes are I am bringing personal items.

Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks

lawrence

Jonnywina
28th October 2009, 17:44
where in Ireland are you aromulus?

aromulus
28th October 2009, 17:51
where in Ireland are you aromulus?

:Erm:

cheesewiz
28th October 2009, 21:29
my box already sent (thank goodness) I have a bit of space now in my little room I used Pooten forwarding. Hope it arrives in Phils by 1st week of Dec as I arrive there 2nd week of Dec, finger cross it will, sending balikbayan box is like a bit of a gamble i think?

mhynne
17th January 2010, 11:21
do we/or our family in the philippines have to pay tax for the recieved balikbayan box?

IainBusby
17th January 2010, 11:30
do we/or our family in the philippines have to pay tax for the recieved balikbayan box?

No, that's the only advantage of sending stuff this way.

scot5man
16th February 2010, 15:11
To everyone with any concerns about Balikbayan boxes, I can assure you that I have been sending stuff for years with NEVER a problem. There are no taxes to pay and there are no weight restrictions. We have NEVER had a box opened and it usually takes 4 to 5 weeks from collection, sometimes longer if you hit the christmas period. I really dont think there is any better way to send goods to the Philippines, even though I sometimes think its a complete waste of money, given the crap my wife puts in them..!! but of course i dont tell her that...LOL

natashia_belle
12th May 2010, 17:32
Hi, is their a balikbayan center here in the Philippines that send boxes to UK, particularly in Ireland? If so, kindly post their website or contact numbers? Does the receiver pay taxes in Ireland?

Thanks!:)