PDA

View Full Version : Serious advice please.

Alan
22nd January 2009, 14:33
Hi guys,

I have been 'stewing' over my problem for many months now - ever since the awful events that happened to me last April (seasoned members will know!)

My question is thus:-

What chance do I have of taking Hanna back to the UK with me?

Here are the stats:-

I have no money.

I have no permanent address in the UK - although I (we) could live with my parents temporarily.

I am a teacher - so I could get a job quite easily.

We have been happily married for over 18 months here in the Phils.

How much chance do I have of getting a visa for my wife - or will I be wasting £500?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I miss my parents and my children so much that it hurts - but I do not want to leave the Phils. without my beautiful wife.

Thanks for reading.

Al.:)

KeithD
22nd January 2009, 15:58
You'll need somewhere to live.

bornatbirth
22nd January 2009, 16:00
and a job too :Erm:

ANDRES25
22nd January 2009, 17:14
Alan, the best thing to do is to sacrifice for a while ..You have to go back to UK first without your wife, find a job, save money, then find a place to live for you and Hanah. I know it's not that easy to be away from the people u love but it's worth it! You said you're a teacher so employment is not a problem anymore when u get back to england. My husband had to go back to the UK a month after our wedding without me to earn and save money so we can apply for a visa. He went back to England last Aug 2008 and we were able to apply for spouse visa last Dec 18, 2008. Hoping to get my visa by March 2009.He doesn't have his own house like you, he stayed with his dad first for a couple of months and now he's renting a 3-br house for us. He doesn't have much savings either, he just used his credit to transfer some money to his savings account. I think you should talk with Emma a member here,her story will inspire you, she's been away from her hubby for 2 years now I think, because of some financial reasons aswell but she's already applying this feb. I'm sure your wife will understand the situation if u go back to UK without her. If you really love each other distance is not a problem...just a little sacrifice and in due time u will be able to get her there. GOOD LUCK!!!

georyz
22nd January 2009, 17:24
I agree to MRS. O. you need to go back to UK and get a job and save save save. True love can wait. You better the read the requirements for the visa application then you can both plan what you need to do and what documents to compile. You can do it! Good luck.

Ann07
22nd January 2009, 17:40
Alan, the best thing to do is to sacrifice for a while ..You have to go back to UK first without your wife, find a job, save money, then find a place to live for you and Hanah. I know it's not that easy to be away from the people u love but it's worth it! You said you're a teacher so employment is not a problem anymore when u get back to england. My husband had to go back to the UK a month after our wedding without me to earn and save money so we can apply for a visa. He went back to England last Aug 2008 and we were able to apply for spouse visa last Dec 18, 2008. Hoping to get my visa by March 2009.He doesn't have his own house like you, he stayed with his dad first for a couple of months and now he's renting a 3-br house for us. He doesn't have much savings either, he just used his credit to transfer some money to his savings account. I think you should talk with Emma a member here,her story will inspire you, she's been away from her hubby for 2 years now I think, because of some financial reasons aswell but she's already applying this feb. I'm sure your wife will understand the situation if u go back to UK without her. If you really love each other distance is not a problem...just a little sacrifice and in due time u will be able to get her there. GOOD LUCK!!!

Well said:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Goodluck Sir Alan:)

aromulus
22nd January 2009, 18:43
Please don't quote me on this, as my memory is failing rather speedily at the moment.

I seem to recall something about somebody on the forum saying that after being married and living as husband and wife for 3/4 years abroad, the visa is just a formality.

I would try to phone the embassy and outline your quandary, so that you could get some educated answers.

Sorry po, that I cannot be of any more help.:doh

reginacarlson
22nd January 2009, 18:46
Yes it'll be difficult if you would come together. The best way really is for you is to come alone to UK, find a suitable accommodation, get a job and save some money first. The first few months will be very hard but it will surely pay off in the long run.

Perhaps you can find a teaching post that offers live-in accommodation? :Erm: That'd be hitting two birds with one stone...

The best of luck to you Al.

Sconnie
22nd January 2009, 18:53
Al,

Try talking to the Embassy see what they say, you say you can stay with your parents for a while, I am sure they will be sympathetic.
Good luck.

darren-b
22nd January 2009, 18:59
Al,

Try talking to the Embassy see what they say, you say you can stay with your parents for a while, I am sure they will be sympathetic.
Good luck.

Unfortunately without being able show that you can support yourself (eg a fair amount of savings or a job) I suspect the Embassy won't be that sympathetic.

somebody
22nd January 2009, 19:23
I know of one ex work mate whose Wife went to Hong kng to work as a teacher and earned big money and recieved a house. Yes i know its not the Uk but chances of higher wages there surely? Although the Workmate and his Wife moved over a couple of years back when things were all good.

Many people for a while moving in to the teaching field from other fields (either to train or re enter the market for various reasons) and I have overheard and spoken to teachers saying the market although far from saturated is meaning less vaccanices and not so easy to flit from job to job.

Although a experienced senior teacher should find it easier im sure. But i know from expereince Schools i still having difficulty filling jobs in central London in Secondary schools.

But money in the pocket is the best bet as others say.

Im sure you have kept a breast of news in the UK. You will be shocked still as others i know have been in a simailar situation in how things have changed.

Like Darren b says the embassy is more likely to be tighter on income and accomdation due to the situation in the world at the moment.

I think it would be worth investgating schools with jobs and go from there. Im sure the Phill uk network can sound out any school for you.

IainBusby
22nd January 2009, 21:01
Hi Al,
I think that if you think you could get a firm offer of employment, from a local authority for instance and an a letter from your parents about your initial housing arrangements after arrival in the UK, then I think it might at least be worth sending an email to ManilaVisaEnquiries.Manila@fco.gov.uk asking what the likelihood of them issuing a visa for your wife would be if both of those things (job & accommodation) were already in place.

The only other option as others have already said, is to come back to UK alone and take it from there.

Iain.

KeithD
22nd January 2009, 21:42
Alan, you still require an address to live over here.....obviosuly, as you'll not be intending to sleep on the streets anyway...will you? :cwm24:

If you have a family member that will be putting you up, that is the only address you need. As you are married, the spouse visa is easier than the fiancee.

joebloggs
22nd January 2009, 23:04
go and live with your parents al, only til you get your visa, it will save you a lot of money on rent/util bills. get a job, start saving, even better any family or friends can lend you a bit of money for 6 months ? put that in your account, get 6 bank statements. i'm 99% certain you will get your visa.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

dom he needs to be married and living with her for 4yrs out of the uk, so she can apply for ile, but of course living together 8months is good evidence of a genuine relationship !

Mrs.JMajor
23rd January 2009, 00:36
- but I do not want to leave the Phils. without my beautiful wife.

Thanks for reading.

:doh So no one consider this Sir Al :Erm:
Sacrifice we call it.....:cwm24:

empott
23rd January 2009, 03:32
Mod Dom, I heard about that too. And I met a few who's spouses stayed here for mos and had no work to go back to in the UK and yet got their visa and went back together to UK. I don't know if they just got lucky or the ECO made it easier on them coz they lived together longer or its something about their "right" as a family. Can't remember now but they told me that it would have been better and easier if I applied when he was still here and went back to UK with him. Money was not the issue before. We had savings, a lil biz here and stocks in the UK that he can sell, and his family and mine are willing to help us. We could have stayed at his parents' house too. The problem was that he had no biz or job to go back to. So we decided to wait.
If I've known waiting is this hard, maybe we should have tried and took the risk. And visa fee was just 260 sterling before. :bigcry:
A member here got her visa last Aug and her hubby was here in the Phils for 8 mos when they applied. He was out of the UK for 4 years And he wasn't working too for 2 or 3 years. Is that luck? :Erm:

emma

lavander
23rd January 2009, 04:28
Hi guys,

I have been 'stewing' over my problem for many months now - ever since the awful events that happened to me last April (seasoned members will know!)

My question is thus:-

What chance do I have of taking Hanna back to the UK with me?

Here are the stats:-

I have no money.

I have no permanent address in the UK - although I (we) could live with my parents temporarily.

I am a teacher - so I could get a job quite easily.

We have been happily married for over 18 months here in the Phils.

How much chance do I have of getting a visa for my wife - or will I be wasting £500?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I miss my parents and my children so much that it hurts - but I do not want to leave the Phils. without my beautiful wife.

Thanks for reading.

Sir Al,

This is the reality (the way i see it) which i hope will help you to decide...

1. your unable to accomplished anything given your situation at the moment in the Philippines.
2. The feeling of guilt as you desert Hannah's oppurtunity to experience and to have a life in the UK which i think she deserved.
3. And at the end of each day, missing your children and parents in the UK.

You need to go back in the UK and be on the right track again.
Leaving Hannah for the meantime is difficult but this is just temporary.
See the decision will you make from a positve point of view and the long term benefit it will make for you and hannah...

I hope this make sense. :)

Good Luck!

Irene.

aromulus
23rd January 2009, 07:24
he needs to be married and living with her for 4yrs out of the uk, so she can apply for ile, but of course living together 8months is good evidence of a genuine relationship !

Thanks Joey, I couldn't find it anywhere, probably because I had it wrong in the first place.....:doh

darren-b
23rd January 2009, 07:29
go and live with your parents al, only til you get your visa, it will save you a lot of money on rent/util bills. get a job, start saving, even better any family or friends can lend you a bit of money for 6 months ? put that in your account, get 6 bank statements. i'm 99% certain you will get your visa.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

dom he needs to be married and living with her for 4yrs out of the uk, so she can apply for ile, but of course living together 8months is good evidence of a genuine relationship !

I really doubt there would a need to wait 6 months so long as you were working or even just had a written offer of a job (presuming the job was reasonably well paid...) to be pretty certain of getting a visa.

Thought ILE was difficult to apply for out of the country because you needed to have passed the Life in the UK Test?

Alan
23rd January 2009, 08:29
Gosh! So much GREAT information that I knew I would get from my 'family.' I appreciate and acknowledge ALL of your comments.

It IS beginning to look like I shall have to leave without Hanna, however, I shall make some investigations with the Embassy (and hope that they bother to reply!)

I kinow that Hanna will go 'bonkers' if I leave her again - it is something I promised her I would never again do. Nevertheless, thanks to the guy who put me in my current position, it looks like I am going to have to be cruel to be kind!!!

Thanks again everyone - and as a SPECIAL thank you to you all, I shall make a solemn promise that I shall not mention that my 1,500th post is just around the corner!

aromulus
23rd January 2009, 08:39
and as a SPECIAL thank you to you all, I shall make a solemn promise that I shall not mention that my 1,500.000.000.000.000th post is just around the corner!

:omg:

Piamed
23rd January 2009, 11:24
Hey Al. It's already been said. It willbe very sad leaving Hannah i know but it will hopefully only be for a short and productive time. All the best! Toks

Jay&Zobel
24th January 2009, 13:42
We'll pray for you and Hannah, Prof Al!

Sim11UK
24th January 2009, 14:42
Come home mate...At least, get a little bit of money behind you. :)

charlwill
24th January 2009, 14:50
Hi Al,
My friend and her hubby is in the same situation you are in right now. My friend got married to a british man who is living his daily life in over draft facilities all his life and even until now, without savings at all but have a rented accomodation. Anyways, 2 years and 1/2 they applied for a spouse visa and as expected they never met or satisfied the ECO and never granted for a visa. They appeal for the refusal of spousal visa and they seek help from MP and they won the appeal and granted a visa. After 1 week my friend joined her husband here.
God bless Al, and hope everything is ok with you and Hannah.

David House
24th January 2009, 18:01
Hi Alan

Just a thought! Why not try to have a word with Moya Jackson, the hon consul here in Cebu. She can be reached on 32 3460525. I am told that whilst she is busy she is also very well informed and sympathetic. With her support you may well find success in Manila. I know how hard you will find it leaving Hannah and will do all you can to avoid having to do so. Give me a call if there is anything I can do.

somebody
24th January 2009, 22:26
Alan you and the Lovely Hannah may find it to be tough but it should only be for a tempoary period. Think of the hardworking lonely OFWs who are split from family for years on end. I know of some who for various reasons have not be back due to lack of funds for seriously long times. One for even 17 years!!!

Although your ba apart your have the support of your two loving families and friends. Hannah thankfully will not be all alone.

Best as you say to investigate options before making the big move with or with out the boss.

Whatever you both decide the silly lads and the wonderful ladies on here will be here to offer support and cups of E tea and biscuits:xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
24th January 2009, 23:04
Hannah can stay with us.....the dishwashers broke :icon_lol: ......and the grass needs a polish :rolleyes:

Sim11UK
25th January 2009, 08:23
cups of E tea and biscuits:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Haha! I like that. :icon_lol: The e kettle is always on. :)

somebody
25th January 2009, 18:45
Hannah can stay with us.....the dishwashers broke :icon_lol: ......and the grass needs a polish :rolleyes:

Is Alan polish I thought he was from oldham:Erm:

jencha8569
26th January 2009, 13:11
prof Al

me and hubby are apart to think we just got married 3 weeks ago but we have to, in the long run its for the better. we have to wait for couple of months first before we see each other again that includes the pain and longing of waiting.

Follow the other members, they tell all what u need to do and dont forget these 3 things:xxgrinning--00xx3:

1. God is good all the time
2. no sacrifice no victory.
3. patience is a virtue.
4. think positive.

I do hope you will take the right path.
good luck Prof:)

Alan
26th January 2009, 13:31
Thanks once again everyone. Your advice is so much appreciated even if not comforting.

I shall comment further after investigations. Meanwhile -

Gung Hay Fat Choy!

or...........

Xin Nian Kuai Le!

jimeve
26th January 2009, 16:45
Thanks once again everyone. Your advice is so much appreciated even if not comforting.

I shall comment further after investigations. Meanwhile -

Gung Hay Fat Choy!

or...........

Xin Nian Kuai Le!

Good luck mate, 农历新年

Alan
30th January 2009, 13:09
There is real love and concern on this forum! We should all be grateful to Keith for this. Thank you all for your advice and concern - and thank you Keith!

scott&ligaya
30th January 2009, 20:34
Hi Alan,
sorry to hear about your situation. I would second the suggestion that you contact Moya Jackson, she was fantastic when my father passed away in Palawan and we were sorting out re patriation, a passport issue and a couple of other things.

Secondly when I applied for Ligaya's spouse visa I thought I needed six months payslips in my new job in the UK(we were re locating from Hong Kong) and evidence of rented house/flat etc. The ECO when he interviewed us in HK said that as it was clear I was going to re settle and and we were already married in 2005 in HK I only needed one months payslip and evidence of even a rented double room. He was really helpful. I did have good savings but he seemed bnot interested in that. I really hope that you will get lucky and only be apart for a couple of months at most. :):)

The very best of luck to you and Hannah and take care

empott
31st January 2009, 01:54
Oh yeah, i remember now! You are one of those who was granted a visa with just one payslip. :xxgrinning--00xx3: