PDA

View Full Version : Worst are yet to come

cheesewiz
12th January 2009, 00:05
Everyday in the news its all bad news, thousands of people lost their jobs or thousands more are about to loose theirs. In some newspapers some of the headlines are immigrants stealing Brits jobs etc

I know that UK's economy is one of the badly hit of worldwide recessesion right now. I hope that your partners are prepared to this bad news when they arrive here in UK and can't find a job and their families back home expecting a pound soon:Erm: At our place where I work I can't believe that we got loads of applicant for only two vacancies open. My manager is really surprised as well as before it takes us alteast 2 months to have an interested applicant but now my manager is having a hard time selecting among those loads of applicants.

I would say lucky to those filipinas that they don't need to work as their husband can provide for them without going to work and their partner can spare a few pounds to send for their families in the Phils. I must admit right now I am having a hard time as the pounds is so weak to peso. I have a mortage in the Phils, Im sending monthly to my parents and I have personal loans here in UK. I am just glad that I can still work 60 hours/week atleast.

I am happy for those who gets their visas and start a new life here in UK. After all the long wait, stressed and emotional outburst. As they said, all's well that ends well. Good luck to all of us for 2009.

I do believe that there's always a light at the end of the tunnel.

joebloggs
12th January 2009, 00:22
I do believe that there's always a light at the end of the tunnel.

yes its your boss with a torch bringing you more work :D

60hrs a week :doh

estimates from the press say 1.2million will lose their jobs this year, 30 million are nearly working in the uk, so 1 in 25 are expected to lose their jobs, its not the end of the world yet, and many European workers are suppose to be returning home as the £ to euro has fallen, and now with the points based system coming in, it will be more difficult for non Europeans to work in the UK.

pennybarry
12th January 2009, 08:47

estimates from the press say 1.2million will lose their jobs this year, 30 million are nearly working in the uk, so 1 in 25 are expected to lose their jobs, its not the end of the world yet, and many European workers are suppose to be returning home as the £ to euro has fallen, and now with the points based system coming in, it will be more difficult for non Europeans to work in the UK.

Got good idea from you Joe, there are many workers here from other parts of Europe and they're gone home so there are more jobs here for the locals. But the problem is, Most factories here are seafood factories and British doesn't want this kind of job:D. They said bad smell:doh
When I was still working in one of the seafood company here, I went straight to the shower room as hubby said I smells crabs and lobsters:Brick:

KeithD
12th January 2009, 10:21
Everyone else has a recession....I don't :D

benb
12th January 2009, 17:43
I must admit right now I am having a hard time as the pounds is so weak to peso. I have a mortage in the Phils, Im sending monthly to my parents and I have personal loans here in UK. I am just glad that I can still work 60 hours/week atleast.

how can you be glad to work 60hrs/week? Be careful as your health is equally important. Generally you should not do more than 48hrs/week on average.

I've read before years ago that prolonged stress due to work etc can reduce an average lifespan by 7 years.

Best Wishes

PeterB
12th January 2009, 18:46
30 million are nearly working in the uk ...

This sums up the British mentality! I wonder how many actually do work?

Reminds me of the old joke:

"How many people work in your office?"

"Oh, about half!"

Ann07
12th January 2009, 18:52
Hi Cheesewiz,

You are really working hard:)
You are right our economy is really bad , hope it will recover soon:doh:doh

Look after yourself :)

somebody
12th January 2009, 19:56

"Oh, about half!"

That many:omg:

somebody
12th January 2009, 20:07
how can you be glad to work 60hrs/week? Be careful as your health is equally important. Generally you should not do more than 48hrs/week on average.

I've read before years ago that prolonged stress due to work etc can reduce an average lifespan by 7 years.

Best Wishes

Agreed and I think Both of us would wish everyone work fewer hours but I guess in Cheesewhizz postion she is grateful for the hours.
The stress if she earned less due to her situation would proabaly take more than 7 years of her life:NoNo:

Sadly both Labour and Tories (lets say the establishment) have played there part to make hourly rates still a common part of many peoples lifes especially those with less choices suchs as those on working visa and in certain career paths.

Very true about the light at the end of the tunnel:xxgrinning--00xx3:

nigel
12th January 2009, 20:34
Whats wrong with losing our jobs?:Erm: Early retirement sounds good to me!:xxgrinning--00xx3: So called immigrants are taking our jobs?:Erm: Cool we don't have to work now!:icon_lol:

somebody
12th January 2009, 21:06
Whats wrong with losing our jobs?:Erm: Early retirement sounds good to me!:xxgrinning--00xx3: So called immigrants are taking our jobs?:Erm: Cool we don't have to work now!:icon_lol:

I think the Royal mail and the goverment are working at helping you in this department from what my Local postie says.

KeithD
12th January 2009, 21:25
No stress in my work, and I do 10 hours a day :) I'd rather be dead than do anything else :xxgrinning--00xx3:

nigel
12th January 2009, 21:42
I think the Royal Mail and the goverment are working at helping you in this department from what my Local postie says.It is true that Royal Mail is in trouble..I work for a branch of Royal Mail that does courier work only..I get out and about all over the place! But anyway, we're also in difficulty..we're working at a loss..there might be voluntary redundancies..but it's thought that our particular branch of Royal Mail has great potential..so it will staying in business for at least 15 months I've been told..

somebody
12th January 2009, 23:41
It is true that Royal Mail is in trouble..I work for a branch of Royal Mail that does courier work only..I get out and about all over the place! But anyway, we're also in difficulty..we're working at a loss..there might be voluntary redundancies..but it's thought that our particular branch of Royal Mail has great potential..so it will staying in business for at least 15 months I've been told..

Hopefully be fine Sir. If the Royal mail stoped the work it did people would notice how complicated,expensive and hard it would be to send a letter to smaller towns and villages.

joebloggs
13th January 2009, 00:39

"Oh, about half!"

all my figures are pukka, from the office of statistics :xxgrinning--00xx3:

oh well then, 24/25 lose their job, now that is the end of the world

PeterB
13th January 2009, 02:25
all my figures are pukka, from the office of statistics :xxgrinning--00xx3:

oh well then, 24/25 lose their job, now that is the end of the world

Sorry Joe. I think you might have missed the point of my post .. it was the strange phraseology : '30M are nearly working' when I guess it should have been 'nearly 30M are working'.

joebloggs
13th January 2009, 07:12
Sorry Joe. I think you might have missed the point of my post .. it was the strange phraseology : '30M are nearly working' when I guess it should have been 'nearly 30M are working'.

sorry :doh :D

i see what you mean :icon_lol:

then there are those working who shouldn't be :D who are not in the stats.. so maybe 30m

yes i know many who have jobs, but don't work :doh

cheesewiz
13th January 2009, 22:18
Agreed and I think Both of us would wish everyone work fewer hours but I guess in Cheesewhizz postion she is grateful for the hours.
The stress if she earned less due to her situation would proabaly take more than 7 years of her life:NoNo:

Sadly both Labour and Tories (lets say the establishment) have played there part to make hourly rates still a common part of many peoples lifes especially those with less choices suchs as those on working visa and in certain career paths.

Very true about the light at the end of the tunnel:xxgrinning--00xx3:

thanks for that somebody/andy:Erm:! Im here in UK to work that's the only reason why Im here:NoNo: I have no family here to spend my spare time and most of my friends are working when Im off at work. I don't go out much I'd rather stay on my room all day to indulge my whole day rest and spending all day with my laptop:Rasp:

cheesewiz
13th January 2009, 22:20
No stress in my work, and I do 10 hours a day :) I'd rather be dead than do anything else :xxgrinning--00xx3:

that's true boss:xxgrinning--00xx3: I like my job as simple as that

cheesewiz
13th January 2009, 22:22
Hi Cheesewiz,

You are really working hard:)
You are right our economy is really bad , hope it will recover soon:doh:doh

Look after yourself :)

salamat Ann:) I will, just been to my GP everything's look fine as far as my health is concern:cwm12:

cheesewiz
13th January 2009, 22:40

well, joe, 60hrs/week is fine with me no complain:xxgrinning--00xx3: sometimes im doing 8am to 2pm then back to 8pm to 8am. though i must admit that's really tough:Help1: its good that our new matron is not allowing the staff doing that anymore. I am working 12hrs/day (8pm-8am) having 2 days off in a week is not bad at all specially if you live on your own. Our manager is very keen to us filipinos the way we are working...and yet not complaining.

nigel
13th January 2009, 22:58
Come on guys!:)

Let's not take too much notice of news reports! I don't even watch the news, I think it's absolute tripe!:icon_lol:

The media gather "bad news" stories from all over the world! It's as if they've got the world under a blinking microscope and they are only interested in "bad" things!:yikes: Ooooh they're on a dogged determined mission to convince us that the world is a terrible place! "Stay in your homes!":icon_lol: Then they get some guy with a "I'm deathly serious!" voice to report the story!:icon_lol: They make it even more dramatic with that pom! Pom! Pom! music!:icon_lol: It's like watching a scary movie!:icon_lol:

They seem to be trying to keep our attention with shocking! Terrible stories! I really don't think it's an accurate portrayal of the world at all!:laugher:

Global warming!:yikes: Unemployment!:yikes: and errr, Unemployment!:yikes:

The world we live in is actually in good shape!:xxgrinning--00xx3: REALLY it is!:cwm12:

kermit123
14th January 2009, 00:55

that might be good news for locals in uk when all these people leave uk leaves jobs for uk and our lovly pinoy wifes :) isent all bad lol more jobs for british people the better and of course our wifes s:) gaz/maybs

kermit123
14th January 2009, 01:00

Best Wishes hi benb im not being funny but belieave me not haveing a job is more stressfull than doing 60 hours when you have family in philippines expecting money and family here to support :( 60 hours to lot of people sounds great it might shorten your life but a happy 60 years is better than 67 years with nothink only my opion gaz/maybs

kermit123
14th January 2009, 01:07

"Oh, about half!" hi peter b not all british have that mentality and that is his opion so im not to judge him ,ill gladly do 60 hours work,im from a working class family in birmingham and i do expect to have to work long hours to make a liveing i allways have and probly will, when i come back to uk this year. That isent a joke here in philippines have you seen road workers here 10 people 2 working so its same here in philippines not just uk , becouse labour is cheap in philippines you allway s i mean allways get 50% more people than is needed, only my opion gaz/maybs

benb
14th January 2009, 01:08
well, joe, 60hrs/week is fine with me no complain:xxgrinning--00xx3: sometimes im doing 8am to 2pm then back to 8pm to 8am. though i must admit that's really tough:Help1: its good that our new matron is not allowing the staff doing that anymore. I am working 12hrs/day (8pm-8am) having 2 days off in a week is not bad at all specially if you live on your own. Our manager is very keen to us filipinos the way we are working...and yet not complaining.

Is your manager forcing you to work such long hours? Or do you choose to do that many hours for extra money?

kermit123
14th January 2009, 01:12
thanks for that somebody/andy:Erm:! Im here in UK to work that's the only reason why Im here:NoNo: I have no family here to spend my spare time and most of my friends are working when Im off at work. I don't go out much I'd rather stay on my room all day to indulge my whole day rest and spending all day with my laptop:Rasp: hi cheese lol this is just a joke lol
do you dress your lap top up in pink panties and talk to it dirty lol :rolleyes:i can see it now pmsl,(this is just a joke i just saw you talking dirty to it when i read your post ) think i need a doctor my first two wifes tried to get me put in home for mentaly sick lol i live in philippines now i fit in great lol gaz/maybs

PeterB
14th January 2009, 03:56
hi peter b not all british have that mentality

Sure, but in my 53 years in UK, I've seen quite a few like that. But you're right, it's not just peculiar to the Brits.[/QUOTE]

cheesewiz
14th January 2009, 20:26
Is your manager forcing you to work such long hours? Or do you choose to do that many hours for extra money?

nope of course not. when i arrived here in UK our contracted hours is 48 hours if we want to work morethan that we have to sign a paper that were happy doing morethan our contracted hours:) and were happy to do it...its not really long hours if you get use to it.

cheesewiz
14th January 2009, 23:10
hi cheese lol this is just a joke lol
do you dress your lap top up in pink panties and talk to it dirty lol :rolleyes:i can see it now pmsl,(this is just a joke i just saw you talking dirty to it when i read your post ) think i need a doctor my first two wifes tried to get me put in home for mentaly sick lol i live in philippines now i fit in great lol gaz/maybs

sorry, if i make your mind dirty, i don't talk dirty. anyway, if you type your wording here is that the way you speak as well...:Erm:

somebody
15th January 2009, 19:58
sorry, if i make your mind dirty, i don't talk dirty. anyway, if you type your wording here is that the way you speak as well...:Erm:

I think he is a Brumie the rest of Britain have no iea what they say most of the time so join the club:D

somebody
15th January 2009, 20:01
thanks for that somebody/andy:Erm:! Im here in UK to work that's the only reason why Im here:NoNo: I have no family here to spend my spare time and most of my friends are working when Im off at work. I don't go out much I'd rather stay on my room all day to indulge my whole day rest and spending all day with my laptop:Rasp:

Cant blame you in the British Winter who wants to be outside:D

I hope thou in the summertime you get to see something of Britain otherwise its such a shame all countries of the world have so much for the vistor to see:)