PDA

View Full Version : Just a rant...sorry

cheesewiz
2nd January 2009, 10:55
im wondering why even pinoys called Philippines as PI. As far as I know that's what the americans terms for Philippines when they still have their bases there. Sorry but its a bit annoying that PI thing word...its not hard typing Phils or Philippines, isn't it?

My apology, first thing of 2009...im ranting:Erm:

Mrs.JMajor
2nd January 2009, 12:00
No worries,you have the right to say anything,lol (hugs)
I call it or rather i type it as PI ,more easy :Cuckoo: as everyone understood its referring to Philippines,but if they ask me whats "PI",then i just told them Philippines "MABUHAY" ..lol

cheesewiz
2nd January 2009, 12:07
No worries,you have the right to say anything,lol (hugs)
I call it or rather i type it as PI ,more easy :Cuckoo: as everyone understood its referring to Philippines,but if they ask me whats "PI",then i just told them Philippines "MABUHAY" ..lol

I thought PI means the swearing word in filipino lol :omg:

Mrs.JMajor
2nd January 2009, 12:10
seems like,Philippine Island :Cuckoo:

simplelife
2nd January 2009, 12:39
When I was in the UK, most of the Filipinos I know they used the abbreviation P.I. which means Philippine Island. I did not bother about it though as maybe they want to use it.. shorter.. lol...

KeithD
2nd January 2009, 12:43
Why do we English refer to it as UK or GB? Same thing.

pennybarry
2nd January 2009, 14:42
:xxgrinning--00xx3::DAsk why B.P.I. (Bank of Philippine Island) still carrying that name for more than 100 years by now?

simplelife
2nd January 2009, 14:59
:xxgrinning--00xx3::DAsk why B.P.I. (Bank of Philippine Island) still carrying that name for more than 100 years by now?

:icon_lol::icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

nigel
2nd January 2009, 15:35
It annoys when people only say bad stuff about Philippines..it's a GREAT place! Filipino's have a fascinating culture! Some of the Filipino food is truly delicious!! I'm always astonished at how well behaved children are in Philippines...I guess it's down to Filipina's being great Mothers..I always feel good when I'm in Philippines..I love the people..those jeepneys are wicked!! I keep a model jeepney on my shelf here in England..Filipino's are good natured people..very warm friendly welcoming people...when I tell people in England that I like Philippines they say "Oh I would never go to that terrible place!!..It's full of prostitutes!!..You will get robbed or killed!!":yikes: I know Philippines has it's problems but why can't people look further than their own nose!:icon_lol:

..they know too little and they talk too much!:Cuckoo:

simplelife
2nd January 2009, 15:43
It annoys when people only say bad stuff about Philippines..it's a GREAT place! Filipino's have a fascinating culture! Some of the Filipino food is truly delicious!! I'm always astonished at how well behaved children are in Philippines...I guess it's down to Filipina's being great Mothers..I always feel good when I'm in Philippines..I love the people..those jeepneys are wicked!! I keep a model jeepney on my shelf here in England..Filipino's are good natured people..very warm friendly welcoming people...when I tell people in England that I like Philippines they say "Oh I would never go to that terrible place!!..It's full of prostitutes!!..You will get robbed or killed!!":yikes: I know Philippines has it's problems but why can't people look further than their own nose!:icon_lol:

:xxgrinning--00xx3: Nigel thats lovely to hear thanks.
My Sweetheart is also proud of my country in fact he`s been here several times now and everytime we chat online, he always say that he is longing to come here because he wants us to have holiday here and also because of all the good things you mentioned above.
Happy New Year to you Nigel and Vimvie.

joss36
2nd January 2009, 15:59
hello newbie here.

its Americans who gave that name to Philippines. Nobody knows what is PI except if you go to USA...every americans called filipinos as PI.

Actually my newphew and niece in the US everytime I talked to them they always ask me oh auntie how's PI (huh, well, some stupid Fil-Am teenagers who know absolutely nothing about the Philippines, its history, or culture..)

joss36
2nd January 2009, 16:07

im glad there someone who are not filipino depending our nation:xxgrinning--00xx3:

actually, Philippines is a great country just that luck of good leaders sad to say. Filipino people are the number one export of the Phil govt in many cases exploited by its own govt.

joss36
2nd January 2009, 16:13

PI- Philippine Island
RP- Republic of the Philippine as the Pres always calls it.

atleast those abbrev is not that bad...rather than calling us filipinos as Japayukis (Japanese Entertainers) , DH (Domestic Helpers), MOB (Mail Order Brides) BBC (British Bum Cleaners) etc...:NoNo:

vbkelly
2nd January 2009, 18:06

PI is PHILIPPINE ISLAND not swearing lol

Mrs Daddy
2nd January 2009, 18:11
yep its easy to type PI than typing its complete spelling.:D

joebloggs
2nd January 2009, 20:23

they are not the same,

UK includes northern Ireland, GB doesn't :doh

thou you may have got confused because the UK's proper name includes GB, as its full name is 'United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland'.

aromulus
2nd January 2009, 20:44

'United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland'.

"Blighty".... For short.....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
2nd January 2009, 20:58
dom your more of an englishman than i thought :xxgrinning--00xx3:

ANDRES25
3rd January 2009, 09:47
My husband always says PHILS not PI.

KeithD
3rd January 2009, 10:29
they are not the same,

UK includes northern Ireland, GB doesn't :doh

thou you may have got confused because the UK's proper name includes GB, as its full name is 'United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland'.
:Erm: I know that....I never said they were the same....ya muppet.....we are talking about abbreviations, not which country is in what place!! :doh

Pity Mancs don't have schools having burnt them all down, but they do try.......very trying in fact :D

fred
3rd January 2009, 11:09
P.I.....P.I.....P.I.....P.I.....P.I.....P.I.....P.I.....P.I.....P.I.....P.I.....

As you can see..I always use P.I too..
Personally,I always have fond memories of the Americans being here. I have Filipino family members that all lost their jobs due to the bases closing..They all live and work in the U.S now and were really gutted at the time.
Lets put it this way..The country certainly did not improved when the Yanks left(or since).
Having said that,I am convinced that if the Brits hadn't have handed Manila back to the Spanish then we would have another HK on the map!
Sayang!!

P.I.....P.I.....P.I.....P.I.....P.I.....P.I.....P.I.....P.I.....P.I.....P.I.....

joebloggs
3rd January 2009, 11:19

:Erm:

:doh

:D

:xxparty-smiley-004:

we are talking about abbreviations - same abbreviations :doh

:Erm:

:Cuckoo:

whats the 'it' your talking about ? !! ? the philippines or the uk ? it's not me who's been on the sunny-d :Cuckoo:

mavid
3rd January 2009, 11:23
Having said that,I am convinced that if the Brits hadn't have handed Manila back to the Spanish then we would have another HK on the map!

]

I have always wondered too...what could have been.:rolleyes:

Will be easier for me to go to the UK? hmmmm:rolleyes:

joebloggs
3rd January 2009, 11:31
I have always wondered too...what could have been.:rolleyes:

Will be easier for me to go to the UK? hmmmm:rolleyes:

nope because you would be ruled by the Chinese now, just like HK, and Taiwan will be.

just as some states in some countries become independent, china is still building its red empire.. :NoNo: they have their eyes on you :yikes:

mavid
3rd January 2009, 11:35
nope because you would be ruled by the Chinese now, just like HK, and Taiwan will be.

just as some states in some countries become independent, china is still building its red empire.. :NoNo: they have their eyes on you :yikes:

:omg: lol ok then i'll stop wondering :D

KeithD
3rd January 2009, 11:42
Initial Question: "I'm wondering why even pinoys called Philippines as PI?"

UK & GB are abbreviations of where we live, PI is just that, and abbreviation of where Pinoy's live. :Erm: That's all I said....

Jeez :NoNo:

Location of Joe's mouth & brain >>> :action-smiley-081:

Mrs.JMajor
3rd January 2009, 12:54

:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Just lazy to type P-h-i-l-i-p-p-i-n-e-s 11 letters while PI ,see just 2 hit from the keyboard :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
3rd January 2009, 13:49

UK & GB are abbreviations of where we live, PI is just that, and abbreviation of where Pinoy's live. :Erm: That's all I said....

Jeez :NoNo:

no you said Why do we English refer to it as UK or GB? Same thing.

not UK & GB are abbreviations of where we live, PI is just that, and abbreviation of where Pinoy's live

you've got a memory of an elephant :doh and you still not paid me that £10k you owe me :D

and don't say same thing, its the same difference :Erm:

KeithD
3rd January 2009, 14:39
Answer: "Why do we English refer to it as UK or GB? Same thing."

So in SIMPLE English for Joe.....they SHORTEN THE PI as an abbreviation the same as we SHORTEN ours to UK or GB, depending on which we prefer to use. :Brick: :doh :NoNo: :ARsurrender: :Cuckoo:

pennybarry
3rd January 2009, 14:58
PI- Philippine Island
RP- Republic of the Philippine as the Pres always calls it.

atleast those abbrev is not that bad...rather than calling us filipinos as Japayukis (Japanese Entertainers) , DH (Domestic Helpers), MOB (Mail Order Brides) BBC (British Bum Cleaners) etc...:NoNo:

Considering that Philippines has many names lols:icon_lol:, with confusing spellings:D

Philippines
Phillipines
Pilipinas
Pinas
Pilipayna (Given by dutch )
Phillis :Erm: I heard this from my hubby:Erm:
Phil
Phils
Philipini, Peylupin (name given by Chinese Mandarin)
PR (Philippine Republic):D
Republic of The Philippines RP
Pearl of the Orient
P.I.

And if you ask Filipinos what is our National Anthem, it's still confusing and many says Bayang Magiliw:omg::action-smiley-081:

And sometimes, if we asked if we are Pinoy, we say yes. But if you ask some women, they will say no, I am not Pinoy. I am Pinay:action-smiley-081: :Erm:

Generally, Pinoy means filipinos regardles of gender:D

joebloggs
3rd January 2009, 16:28
Answer: "Why do we English refer to it as UK or GB? Same thing."

So in SIMPLE English for Joe.....they SHORTEN THE PI as an abbreviation the same as we SHORTEN ours to UK or GB, depending on which we prefer to use. :Brick: :doh :NoNo: :ARsurrender: :Cuckoo:

UK and GB are acronyms for the United Kingdom and Great Britain, but you already know that :D

the question scouser Keith ,was why PI represents the Philippines, that's what the question was ??

answer

PI is the acronym for Philippine Islands

i don't do simple, leave that for the scousers :Cuckoo:

somebody
3rd January 2009, 19:51

Hong kong and taiwan have always been chinese.

Hong kong was when Britain were the number one drug barons of the world and needed a base so we leased Hong kong.

Taiwan was where the anti communists went when Mao took over wasn't it? So they dont quite see eye to eye.

So I guess if Britain hadn't been to busy with India. They may have started a Drug base and trading port in Manila instead of hong kong. Then Phill would have been made independent after the war and be a member of the commonwealth. Which gives you lots of benefits like being in the commonwelath games:rolleyes:
Also most likely Phill would now be northern phill and southern phill with even worse troubles among its people as most of the major conflict zones had Britain sticking its nose in at some point.

But cant really see Phills all playing cricket, and trying to speak better English than the English thou:D

Would all Phill lolas drink Teamate instead of Coffemate?

Instead of jeepneys you would have had old double deckers? Im sure people would still hand on to the outside to cool down:icon_lol:

If Britian had ruled India and Phill I wonder who would get all the american call centre tenders:Erm:

Would instead of hello Joe if you see a whitey would it be Hello John smith?

cheesewiz
3rd January 2009, 22:29
But cant really see Phills all playing cricket, and trying to speak better English than the English thou:D

Instead of jeepneys you would have had old double deckers? Im sure people would still hand on to the outside to cool down:icon_lol:

I remember when I was young we have a double bus i think its called lovebus...that was long time ago

Instead of my lolo and lola drink tsaa or tea made of ginger or rice i think:Erm:

actually i only found out that British been to Phils when I went to Intramuros in Manila and they have this history thing that British been there..sayang talaga:Erm:

adam&chryss
4th January 2009, 17:09
Hong kong and taiwan have always been chinese.

Hong kong was when Britain were the number one drug barons of the world and needed a base so we leased Hong kong.

Taiwan was where the anti communists went when Mao took over wasn't it? So they dont quite see eye to eye.

So I guess if Britain hadn't been to busy with India. They may have started a Drug base and trading port in Manila instead of hong kong. Then Phill would have been made independent after the war and be a member of the commonwealth. Which gives you lots of benefits like being in the commonwelath games:rolleyes:
Also most likely Phill would now be northern phill and southern phill with even worse troubles among its people as most of the major conflict zones had Britain sticking its nose in at some point.

If Britian had ruled India and Phill I wonder who would get all the american call centre tenders:Erm:

Would instead of hello Joe if you see a whitey would it be Hello John smith?

Yeah I quite agree. I think us Brits should pull out of Afgan and Iraq and let them all kill themselves instead of our troops.
Also Zimbabwe is nothing to do with us and as for Gaza and Israel, well thats another story!
So yeah lets keep our noses out of other peoples business and let them run their own countries,
Lets bring all our callcentres back to Uk and our manufacturing from cheap labour like China and do it here too.
And their economies would be much better without the jobs created by those things as obviously we are nothing but trouble :Rasp:

flomike
4th January 2009, 22:16
my husband hates abbreviations too bad for him, he's married to a filipina who likes using abbreviations most of the time to confuse him:D