KeithD
15th September 2006, 18:58
:NoNo: Oh dear.....has he forgotten The Crusades.....:doh

baboyako
15th September 2006, 19:02
:yikes: hitler youth :yikes:

francesca
16th September 2006, 22:57
what's wrong with his speech? Unless the Pope lied?

"Protests

In his speech at Regensburg University on Tuesday, the German-born Pope quoted Emperor Manuel II Paleologos of the Orthodox Christian Byzantine Empire.

Street protests have been held in Pakistan, India, Turkey and Gaza
Stressing that they were not his own words, he quoted the emperor saying: "Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached."

He also said that violence was "incompatible with the nature of God and the nature of the soul".

Reactions to the speech have come from such leaders as Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf, who said efforts to link Islam and terrorism should be clearly opposed.

Street protests have been held in Pakistan, India, Turkey and Gaza.

In the West Bank city of Nablus, two churches were firebombed on Saturday in attacks claimed by a group which said it was protesting against the Pope's remarks.
But German Chancellor Angela Merkel has come to the pontiff's
defence, saying the aim of the speech had been misunderstood. "
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5351988.stm

some babies seems sensitive these days...

KeithD
17th September 2006, 08:44
What's wrong with his speech? He should have known better than to use such a comparisson. Did God not tell him it would cause further problems?

He also said that violence was "incompatible with the nature of God and the nature of the soul".

...and this would refer to Catholics slaughtering tens of thousands of innocent people around the world as they would not believe in 'there' supposed God.

He needs to first make sure his own wardrobe is empty before coming out with such utter drivel. http://www.jesus-is-lord.com/cath.htm

baboyako
17th September 2006, 16:26
what's wrong with his speech?

well, i was curious too. so I read it ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/15_09_06_pope.pdf ).

As far as the pope was concerned, he was addressing a bunch of academics, so the speech is just stringing together various peoples views thru history.

I think the problem with it, is that he is the pope so whatever comes out of his mouth is interpreted as the popes word.

by quoting "Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached".

his retort (not quoting) is just "Whoever would lead someone to faith needs the ability to speak well and to reason properly, without violence and threats..."

Which I (and plenty of others) would interpret as the pope slagging off Mohammed (in an underhanded way).

I think i'm with the mussies on this one :Help1:

fred
18th September 2006, 22:43
:NoNo: Oh dear.....has he forgotten The Crusades.....:doh
the Muslims attacked first.
The Crusades was a reaction to Muslim invasion and conquest of Christian lands. The Byzantine Empire was under attack and invasion from the Muslims, and it was a Byzantine emperor's pleas for help to the Pope that lead to the Crusades.

These Muslim muppets always react with violence towards ANY criticism aimed at them ..
They make the Popes case for him with their mindless actions.
Its high time we started burning a few ephigies of mohamhed of our own and start pinning them to mosques like the ones that disgrace Finsbury park..
Let them **** off back to pakistan and Afghanistan and let them protest violently there.
Sick to death of them to be honest.

KeithD
19th September 2006, 09:34
I think the point was 'Practice what you preach'....

Emperor Alexius asked Pope Urban II for assistance. On 1095-NOV-27, the Pope called on Europeans to go on a crusade to liberate Jerusalem from its Muslim rulers. "The first and second wave of Crusaders murdered, raped and plundered their way up the Rhine and down the Danube as they headed for Jerusalem." The "army" was primarily composed of
untrained peasants with their families, with a core of trained soldiers. On the way to the Middle East, they decided that only one of their goals was to wrest control of Jerusalem from the Muslims. A secondary task was to rid the world of as many non-Christians as possible - both Muslims and Jews. The Crusaders gave the Jews two choices in their slogan: "Christ-killers (http://www.religioustolerance.org/jud_jesu.htm), embrace the Cross or die!" 12,000 Jews in the Rhine Valley alone were killed as the first Crusade passed through. Some Jewish writers refer to these events as the "first holocaust." Once the army reached Jerusalem and broke through the city walls, they slaughtered all the inhabitants that they could find (men, women, children, newborns). After locating about 6,000 Jews holed up in the synagogue, they set the building on fire; the Jews were burned alive. The Crusaders found that about 30,000 Muslims had fled to the al Aqsa Mosque. The Muslim were also slaughtered without mercy.

The Roman Catholic church taught that going to war against the "Infidels" was an act of Christian penance. If a believer was killed during a crusade, he would bypass purgatory, and be taken directly to heaven. By eliminating what might be many millennia of torture in Purgatory, many Christians were strongly motivated to volunteer for the crusades. "After pronouncing a solemn vow, each warrior received a cross from the hands of the pope or his legates, and was thenceforth considered a soldier of the Church."

These mass killings were repeated during each of the 8 additional crusades until the final, 9th, crusade in 1272 CE.

"Thou shall not kill"........oh....unless the church suddenly changes the rules of the bible (which is a sin in itself)......and people wonder why Catholics have never really got on with Jews & Muslims. :NoNo:

scotsfiancee
19th September 2006, 10:27
Anti-Pope Protests

http://www.2gn.net/images/Cmx57975.jpg
:NoNo:

francesca
28th September 2006, 23:14
The spiritual leaders has more responsibility before God than the members.
I would blame more to the leaders on how their members behave.

If they are trained and disciplined according to God's Theocratic Law, there will be no violence. Love would prevail. But seems the leaders themselves do not show good example eh?

What good tree would produce bad fruits?

The quality of God is Love. Is fighting in war (one nation after another, one religion after another ) approved by God?

Does God told the Priests to bless the soldiers and their weapons before going to war?
There are so much to learn from past mistakes.